/* */

PDA

View Full Version : One more thing

darren
05-28-2009, 03:17 PM
None of my parents are Musilm and I don't know how to tell them I am. Im affraid of there reaction. Any help?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
05-28-2009, 03:27 PM
:sl:

Welcome brother.

I dont know much about this, inshaAllah other reverts can come and tell you how they told their parents but do your parents know other muslims? and do you talk to them about islam-politically or otherwise?

darren
05-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Parents don't have any connection with anyother muslims. And my family not very fond on religion

Tony
05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darren
None of my parents are Musilm and I don't know how to tell them I am. Im affraid of there reaction. Any help?
I been there bro. You just have to blurt it out then its done, they will question u so stay cool and focus on why you became muslim. My mum thought it was a joke and were so rascist and evil to my wife (Turkish) that we dont speak which is a problem on its own. My mum and I have never hot on really since I remended her of things that she did during my childhood, so to her it became like ammo. If u got good relationship with ur mum bro then it will be cool, after all ur not telling them u want sex change or joining foriegn legion, i will make dua for u, insha'Allah it will be fine. The worst that can happen is you follow islam untill they understand its not a flash in the pan and accept it. Dont worry brother and may Allah make it easy for you. keep :bravo:us posted

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AhlaamBella
05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Do you have a good relationship with any of your parents?

Beardo
05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't have experience, but I can offer advice.

With all due respect, how you tell your parents is determined by your relationship with them. If they themselves don't have a religion, I don't see how they could be upset at the fact that you yourself found your path in life. If they do follow a religion, then you'll have to be upfront with them as long as you think it's "safe" in the sense that they won't harm you. Otherwise, you'll have to find a third way. Probably talk to someone who already has gone through the process.

darren
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks again folks. And i get on well with them but my dad has always got on at me especially when i was jedi. he was very rude to me and my former fellow jedi. And i dont want that again

Tony
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
thanks again folks. And i get on well with them but my dad has always got on at me especially when i was jedi. he was very rude to me and my former fellow jedi. And i dont want that again
a..............jedi !

darren
05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Ye a jedi.

Tony
05-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Ye a jedi.
OK, dont get it coz its make believe ennit. Anyway being a muslim gotta make more sense to them bro. got to ask what does being a jedi entail

darren
05-28-2009, 04:21 PM
study the force, meditation etc etc there are loads of things in jediism.

Tony
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
study the force, meditation etc etc there are loads of things in jediism.
cool bro, bit like martial arts stuff i reckon. Anyway your a muslim now, the force is always with you. Peace and get them told brother

darren
05-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Your right I am a Musilm now :)

glo
05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Did you tell them when you were training to be a Jedi?
How did they react then?

Edit: I just read the whole thread, so I read about your dad's reaction.
How did your mum feel and react?

darren
05-28-2009, 06:08 PM
They didnt care. They acually were ok about it. apart from my dad. he use to pic up the mop and pretend it was lightsaber and all. He took it to far eventually i never told my family anything. I lost respect and love for them. As a muslim i hoped my mum and dad would understand and respect my choice and support me. But all my mum did was take it as a joke and tell me im not.

glo
05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
I have to warn you, darren. You probably will have to grow a thicker skin and learn how to handle a certain amount of ridicule and criticism ... and not just from your parents ...

The UK is a pretty secular place, and many people feel uncomfortable around those who declare to believe in God and openly practice their faith.

When I became a practicing and committed Christian 6 years ago the same happened to me. I have learned to deal with it better than I did at first.
The thing with your family (in your case your parents, in my case my husband) is that you cannot just turn your back on them and walk away. While you live with your parents you will have to find a way of keeping at peace with them.

Hopefully they will notice positive changes in you. :)

I hope all goes well for you.
Try to understand that your parents care for you and are probably worried about your well-being.

Peace :)

darren
05-28-2009, 06:19 PM

aadil77
05-28-2009, 06:24 PM
he was very rude to me and my former fellow jedi. And i dont want that again
no offence

lol ;D but what did u expect, did u have a light saber?

i've heard of some jedi guy at my college, lets just say the force was not with him when people wanted him to test it out....

anyway good look breakin it to your parents, just make sure you don't seem like some young convert vulnerable to extremist brainwashing :D:thumbs_up... cos he might report you

aadil77
05-28-2009, 06:26 PM
They didnt care. They acually were ok about it. apart from my dad. he use to pic up the mop and pretend it was lightsaber and all. He took it to far eventually i never told my family anything. I lost respect and love for them. As a muslim i hoped my mum and dad would understand and respect my choice and support me. But all my mum did was take it as a joke and tell me im not.
well atleast they've got a sense of humour ;D

peace

Sampharo
05-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Darren,

There is a huge difference between telling your parents in your mid teens that you are joining a make-believe "religion" inspired by a movie franchise, and telling them at the step of adulthood that you are converting to God's true word. There should be a difference as well within your own mindset regarding the two. I think that it will not be hard to find ANYONE who would indeed find the mere concept of jediism to be a source of redicule, so I wouldn't take your father's reaction (albeit slightly annoying) to be personally dismissive of whatever it is that you do.

You need to be serious about yourself and your life for people to take you seriously, and if you are now seriously a muslim inside and out, completely convinced and understanding of the tenets of faith and the pillars of Islam, and understand its history and what is the obligation to God, and most importantly how fundamentally it is to you and your future, then you need to take it as such.

So the first thing you need to understand is that your parents will always be your parents and you will need to treat them kindly and with respect even if they don't reciprocate or even if they are non-muslim.

Second, you need to go ahead and sit them down, and like the mature dedicated adult you have become, inform them calmly of your conviction and conversion. Talk to them like you would as always and do not take on any personas or use words and vocabulary only other muslims understand, this will further alienate them and that is not what you would want. You want them to understand your decision, know about it, and that they will need to digest it and deal with it. Talk to them about how good it is, how it was misunderstood, how it is really the religion of God, what it asks you to do and expects of you as a person. They will have fears and misconceptions, and that is understandable and it is your job to calm their fears and correct their misconceptions the best you can. If you can do no better, then that is fine you are not required to do more than what you possibly are capable of. In the end whether or not they are ok with it is not your responsibility, what is your responsibility is that you do your best in telling them kindly and gently and to be understanding of their emotions that will probably fluctuate.

Third, know in your heart that not your parents and not anyone in your current life is ever able to make you do what you wouldn't want to do, so there is no need to ever panic about reactions and that someone might "force" you to convert out of Islam or anything like that. So based on that have faith and act upon it.

Take a few small steps and insha Allah everything will be ok.

God bless.

Uthman
05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
:sl:

I am sorry to hear your situation.

I advise you to first read this and implement whatever you learn from it. If your parents then notice a change in you, go ahead and tell them the reason why. :)

:w:

aadil77
05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Thats good advice Mash'Allah from brother Sampharo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.