PDA

View Full Version : Egypt pigs meet cruel fate in swine flu cull



Uthman
05-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Pigs squeal loudly as they are thrown into the scoop of a bulldozer and dropped onto a mass of squirming animals which already half fill the back of a lorry.

After three hours on the highway they are offloaded in the desert, apparently to be buried alive in quicklime and other chemicals.

"We leave them for 30 to 40 minutes until they stop breathing and die," says an official at the disposal site in Qaluybia governorate, outside Cairo.

I felt as if they were killing me. But what am I to do?
Ayam Saed, former pig keeper

The video shot by the al-Masry al-Youm newspaper has renewed controversy about Egypt's cull of over 300,000 pigs - which is now more than half complete.

It is being carried out because of fears about swine flu - even though there has not been a single case in the country.

"I was shocked. It's horrible," says Ahmed al-Sherbiny of the Egyptian Federation for Animal Welfare which is suing the government for cruelty.

"These methods and practices are totally unacceptable. Everybody must speak out against them."

Religious objection


Other footage shows pigs being beaten with an iron bar and piglets being stabbed with a bloody knife.

The film has been viewed tens of thousands of times on the YouTube website and has attracted hundreds of angry comments.

Many of those making the comments are negative about Egypt and voice strong criticism of the Islamic religion which they blame for motivating the cruelly.

Many critics wrongly assume that because pork products are haram, or forbidden, under Islamic law, ill treatment of pigs is condoned by the religious establishment.

In fact, Muslim clerics - along with many ordinary Egyptians - have strongly condemned the way the cull has been carried out in some areas.

"Islam has directives in such matters," says Sheikh Abd al-Moatti Bayoumi, former head of Islamic law at al-Azhar University.

"The Prophet Muhammad said if you slaughter, slaughter in a decent way, meaning that you have to be compassionate to animals even if you are killing them."

"Using chemicals to kill them is not permitted by Islam even if you treat the pig as an unclean animal," he said.

The World Society for the Protection of Animals says it is "extremely concerned" about the way pigs have been killed. It has offered expert help to relocate pigs humanely.

Like the World Health Organization, it points out that culling will be "ineffective" to protect people against swine flu, because it is not passed from pigs to humans.

Human hardship


The Egyptian Government continues to insist that the slaughter is a necessary public health measure.

Last week, Pime Minister Ahmed Nazif issued new orders which strictly prohibited violent ways of killing pigs.

But already many governorates have been declared free of the live animals.
For pig owners - who mainly come from the Coptic Christian minority - the cull has been devastating.

Many are zabaaleen - rubbish collectors - who used the pigs to recycle organic wastes and they sold them for meat.

They say their livelihoods, already damaged by foreign refuse contractors, have now been ruined.

Ayam Saed, who lives in Batn al-Baqar, a slum on the edge of Cairo, owned 33 pigs and accompanied them to the slaughter house.

"I felt as if they were killing me," he says. "But what am I to do?"

"They gave me E£1,900 ($340). Since then I've been unemployed. I tried to find work, but I couldn't. Nowadays, foreign corporations are taking the rubbish."

In nearby Manshiyat Nasr, Adel Itshaq has 10 children to support. He used to rely on income from the 50 pigs that he kept.

"I hope God compensates us. We are making no profit. There is no work," he says. "I am sitting day and night in the cafe."

Activists in Egypt are campaigning for new laws against animal cruelty.

But they admit that while human suffering and hardship is so widespread it is hard to get their voices heard.

Source
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
these kaffirs are crying over their dirty pigs which can't even be slaughtered in a humane way, but when muslims get slaughtered in other countries there is no outrage just condeming,

You can bet the idiots at the us govt will make a statement against it sooner or later
Reply

Sampharo
05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
There is no doubt that human suffering in the World makes this a moot point in comparison, and that daily deaths in muslim communities are hardly getting enough attention or action. But still, pigs (regardless of being forbidden to consume) are God's creatures and have living souls, killing them inhumanely like that is so wrong.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Killing the pigs was unecessary to begin with.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
aadil77
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sampharo
There is no doubt that human suffering in the World makes this a moot point in comparison, and that daily deaths in muslim communities are hardly getting enough attention or action. But still, pigs (regardless of being forbidden to consume) are God's creatures and have living souls, killing them inhumanely like that is so wrong.


Yh I've been reading too many comments on youtube, some scumbags even went as far as saying this mistreatment of pigs justifies all the killings of muslims by the kuffar armies
Reply

Trumble
05-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by aadil77
these kaffirs are crying over their dirty pigs which can't even be slaughtered in a humane way, but when muslims get slaughtered in other countries there is no outrage just condeming
There is no connection between the two issues. And there is no excuse for this mindless and abominable cruelty towards the pigs that should evoke nothing but contempt for the real 'animals' involved.

However, neither is there any excuse for some of the comments on Youtube. It is important not to stereotype, though... in fact, the idiots aside, those concerned for the pigs are also likely to be those most opposed to any sort of human conflict anywhere and involving anyone.
Reply

Tony
05-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Yes people are being treated worse than this. The point remains this is disgusting the people responsible for treating these animals in this way are less than animals in my veiw, its sick unnescessary cruelty. Pigs are Allahs creation and He knows best regarding the punishment these revolting people will get:raging:
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 03:50 AM
I think we should export all those pigs to western countries, they seem to love em, and egypt needs the money.. a win win situation...
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 04:05 AM
other than that I am really not sure why Muslims have to apologize every other day for one thing or another.. don't you get it? These people hate you.. you'll receive alot of angry comments with or without a reason it says so in the Quran :
[3:186] Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves; and ye shall certainly hear much that will grieve you, from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil, then that will be a determining factor in all affairs. ...


so it has been on for centuries, it is the subject of operas even their entertainment is about our demise, anyone for 'Armida' do you have any idea what the subject matter of the pervasive thought that occupies most western minds?

They want to take you apart every which way, and while you are busy passing fatwas on maltreatment of pigs or fatwas on how to miswak your wife for being refractory, they move in to another place then another place rob of your homes, your natural resources, and mock your religion......

who the hell cares how pigs are being treated, I don't see an uproar about the children of Gaza, I feel it almost frivolous to address this issue -- I really would rather they come and take the pigs they adore so much for free if the subject is of value to them.
Reply

Trumble
05-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

who the hell cares how pigs are being treated, I don't see an uproar about the children of Gaza, I feel it almost frivolous to address this issue -- I really would rather they come and take the pigs they adore so much for free if the subject is of value to them.
Again, there is no connection between between the pigs and 'the children of Gaza'. As to 'who cares', pretty much the same people (outside of those with this ludicrous vendetta against one particular species) who would also care about seeing cows, sheep, tigers, cats, dogs, dolphins or even people treated the same way. There is no requirement to 'adore' any of them.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I think we should export all those pigs to western countries, they seem to love em, and egypt needs the money.. a win win situation...
People would still loose their livelihoods.
Reply

Amadeus85
05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
.

who the hell cares how pigs are being treated, I don't see an uproar about the children of Gaza, I feel it almost frivolous to address this issue -- I really would rather they come and take the pigs they adore so much for free if the subject is of value to them.

The children of Gaza are not the only one who are unheard, the same goes to children of Darfur or Pakistan who appear to die from acts of terrorism.
Reply

Suomipoika
05-30-2009, 03:34 PM
There was a lot of press coverage over the suffering and misery in Palestine during the last round of Israel-Palestine conflict including demonstrations even in remote places like Finland. I really dont see how some articles in papers or caring for some poor animals in that context is in anyway wrong.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Trumble
Again, there is no connection between between the pigs and 'the children of Gaza'. As to 'who cares', pretty much the same people (outside of those with this ludicrous vendetta against one particular species) who would also care about seeing cows, sheep, tigers, cats, dogs, dolphins or even people treated the same way. There is no requirement to 'adore' any of them.
There is no connection, yet almost in the same breath you say, everyone cares outside of the ridiculous vendetta? If you want to care then there are priorities. Humans as far as I am concerned come first before swine.. whether in Gaza or due to an epidemic... Meat from pigs infected with the new H1N1 virus shouldn’t be used for human consumption, people put animals down all the time for whatever reason, and this case is no different!


Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
People would still loose their livelihoods.
which is more important? human life or livelihood?


Originally Posted by Suomipoika
There was a lot of press coverage over the suffering and misery in Palestine during the last round of Israel-Palestine conflict including demonstrations even in remote places like Finland. I really dont see how some articles in papers or caring for some poor animals in that context is in anyway wrong.
Most articles written about anything to do with Islam, has no care for any 'poor animal' in mind, they have one thing in mind and that is distorting the image of Islam and Muslims, again, as far as I am concerned, anyone particularly pained by the unfortunate treatment of these animals, can come and load truck fulls of them and ship them straight to white castle!

all the best
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
There is no connection, yet almost in the same breath you say, everyone cares outside of the ridiculous vendetta? If you want to care then there are priorities. Humans as far as I am concerned come first before swine.. whether in Gaza or due to an epidemic... Meat from pigs infected with the new H1N1 virus shouldn’t be used for human consumption, people put animals down all the time for whatever reason, and this case is no different!
which is more important? human life or livelihood?
I never compared the two.
The problem is that no pig was infected..
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I never compared the two.
The problem is that no pig was infected..

How do you know? you personally tested them and submitted your report to the W.H.O?
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
How do you know? you personally tested them and submitted your report to the W.H.O?
Depriving hundreds of people of their only livelihood in an economically underdevelopd country based on possible infection is not what I call smart.
Egypt has recorded several cases of the avian flu yet they didn't kill every chicken in the country.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Depriving hundreds of people of their only livelihood in an economically underdevelopd country based on possible infection is not what I call smart.
Egypt has recorded several cases of the avian flu yet they didn't kill every chicken in the country.
That doesn't answer the question I posed.. further, when you are in the business of buying and selling, there is always a chance of loss, it is a risk that you have to take..
given that even the 'baba sheneuda' Egypt's highest christian cleric admitted he never eats pigs, that it is forbidden in the bible as per him, I'd say, it isn't very smart to go into the business of selling pigs anyway.. you are catering to a very small minority..

and indeed with the avian flu the same thing happened to birds, and birds sellers, it just didn't receive as much publicity because amongst other things your media is a hypocritical one!

all the best
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
That doesn't answer the question I posed.. further, when you are in the business of buying and selling, there is always a chance of loss, it is a risk that you have to take..
given that even the 'baba sheneuda' Egypt's highest christian cleric admitted he never eats pigs, that it is forbidden in the bible as per him, I'd say, it isn't very smart to go into the business of selling pigs anyway.. you are catering to a very small minority..

and indeed with the avian flu the same thing happened to birds, and birds sellers, it just didn't receive as much publicity because amongst other things your media is a hypocritical one!

all the best
To my knowledge there has been no recorded case of the new flu in Egypt so far.
They killed every single chicken?
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
To my knowledge there has been no recorded case of the new flu in Egypt so far.
They killed every single chicken?
I don't know about every single chicken, but even if they didn't people refused to buy them, I was there not a couple of months ago, and still they refuse to eat chicken.. so what can I say, Egyptians know best what suits them.. it is really not an issue for the west to observe or comment on, given their record of ignoring more pressing issues...

as for flu.. do we need to have casualties before we decide to take measures? even though it is difficult if not impossible to have the flu that way, why take risks? prevention is better than a cure, considering they don't have the same ease at obtaining Zanamivir or oseltmavir in the unlikely case it that it does happen.. one human life is more important than all the pigs in the world!

all the best
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I don't know about every single chicken, but even if they didn't people refused to buy them, I was there not a couple of months ago, and still they refuse to eat chicken.. so what can I say, Egyptians know best what suits them.. it is really not an issue for the west to observe or comment on, given their record of ignoring more pressing issues...

as for flu.. do we need to have casualties before we decide to take measures? even though it is difficult if not impossible to have the flu that way, why take risks? prevention is better than a cure, considering they don't have the same ease at obtaining Zanamivir or oseltmavir in the unlikely case it that it does happen.. one human life is more important than all the pigs in the world!

all the best
Do we destroy hundreds of people's livelihood based on a negligible possibility that someone may be infected with a curable disease?
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Do we destroy hundreds of people's livelihood based on a negligible possibility that someone may be infected with a curable disease?
indeed.. also you don't know how many pig sellers there are, or whether or not the christian Egyptian community which makes up only 10% of Egypt's population is interested in eating pigs or not?.. I have already covered this aspect a few posts ago, why do you keep bringing it up?

There is always a loss incurred in the business of buying and selling.. most merchants accept that risk and even have insurance, so don't start with the violin ..

all the best
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
indeed.. also you don't know how many pig sellers there are, or whether or not the christian Egyptian community which makes up only 10% of Egypt's population is interested in eating pigs or not?.. I have already covered this aspect a few posts ago, why do you keep bringing it up?

There is always a loss incurred in the business of buying and selling.. most merchants accept that risk and even have insurance, so don't start with the violin ..

all the best
I know there's market risk butin this case the state simply killed every pig in the country which they didn't do with chikens even though there have been cases of the avian flu.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I know there's market risk butin this case the state simply killed every pig in the country which they didn't do with chikens even though there have been cases of the avian flu.

you can't prove either points, so why dwell?

there are always folks hoarding pigs just like there were folks chicken.. fact of the matter is, an educated consumer wasn't interested.. so whether Egypt is pig or chicken free or full, it didn't matter, because in the end it comes down to what folks wish to purchase!

all the best
Reply

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
you can't prove either points, so why dwell?

there are always folks hoarding pigs just like there were folks chicken.. fact of the matter is, an educated consumer wasn't interested.. so whether Egypt is pig or chicken free or full, it didn't matter, because in the end it comes down to what folks wish to purchase!

all the best
It is a fact no case of the new flu was recorded in Egypt, avian flu cases were recorded, all pigs were killed, not every chicken was killed.
Why let market reduce itself for chickens and not for pigs? that's all I'm asking.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
It is a fact no case of the new flu was recorded in Egypt, avian flu cases were recorded, all pigs were killed, not every chicken was killed.
Why let market reduce itself for chickens and not for pigs? that's all I'm asking.
It is a ratio issue, more people eat chicken than pigs you are bound to have records of avian flu, perhaps they have learned from old mistakes and have no desire to repeat them, especially with an animal that for most belongs in the zoo and not on the menu ..
as for market reduce itself for chicken and not pigs, well that flew over my head, I have no idea what that means.. and again, you don't know whether 'all' pigs were killed, I'd refrain from using such definitive terms.. you haven't surveyed every nook and cranny in the old country..

all the best
Reply

Trumble
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Humans as far as I am concerned come first before swine.. whether in Gaza or due to an epidemic...
Likewise. However, your implied choice is spurious, there is no conflict or need to put one ahead of the other.

Meat from pigs infected with the new H1N1 virus shouldn’t be used for human consumption, people put animals down all the time for whatever reason, and this case is no different!
I don't have your scientific expertise, but it seems common sense to me that as no other country is slaughtering pigs even when, unlike Egypt, people have actually contracted the disease, there is no scientific reason to do so. In the UK for example, it hasn't even been mentioned; and yet we are quite happy to start slaughtering cows, sheep and chickens in vast numbers when required. The simple fact is that had the disease been 'bovine flu' and these been cows farmed by muslims rather than pigs farmed by Christians this simply would not have happened.

All that aside, you might still have a vestige of a case if the animals were killed humanely. They were not.


Most articles written about anything to do with Islam, has no care for any 'poor animal' in mind, they have one thing in mind and that is distorting the image of Islam and Muslims
That might be rather more difficult if they weren't presented with such an obvious target. I'm afraid these particular muslims have only themselves to blame.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Trumble
Likewise. However, your implied choice is spurious, there is no conflict or need to put one ahead of the other.
I disagree.. Human life is more important and takes priority and is ahead of the other whether subjects to war or to swine flu (or other swine maladies)!
[22:65] Seest thou not that Allah has made subject to you (men) all that is on the earth, and the ships that sail through the sea by His command?
I don't have your scientific expertise, but it seems common sense to me that as no other country is slaughtering pigs even when, unlike Egypt, people have actually contracted the disease, there is no scientific reason to do so. In the UK for example, it hasn't even been mentioned; and yet we are quite happy to start slaughtering cows, sheep and chickens in vast numbers when required. The simple fact is that had the disease been 'bovine flu' and these been cows farmed by muslims rather than pigs farmed by Christians this simply would not have happened.
Egypt is a sovereign Nation and is free to pass whatever laws it sees fit to ensure the safety of its subjects.. same thing was done during the bird flu, this is no different-- I don't agree with cruelty, but then I hazard take a western confirmation of it, just given their agenda!

All that aside, you might still have a vestige of a case if the animals were killed humanely. They were not.
Hence I state, if it aggrieves the west so, then it can come with truck loads and kill them humanely or take them for lunch meat.
I don't have a list of names of who is killing them and inhumanely, but I think if it left me awake at night, then that would be the logical thing to do.
and again, Many folks are killed very inhumanely by white phosphorus bombs and I am not sure I have seen the same uproar or ridiculous asinine comments or even made similar efforts to save the children or act humanely enough to let relief efforts in and lift economic sanctions..
If it is a matter of priority then I believe prevention is indeed better than a cure considering Egypt's resources or lack thereof.

Western countries aren't an example by which sovereign nations take their example, just given their record on slaughtering humans!





That might be rather more difficult if they weren't presented with such an obvious target. I'm afraid these particular muslims have only themselves to blame.
I don't think any Muslim feels blame, or even cares to address the issue. It is a non-issue as far as I am concerned brought up by impotent hypocrites who fail to offer the same brouhaha to human life.. It is actually rather obvious to the rest of us..

all the best
Reply

Wyatt
05-30-2009, 09:11 PM
A lot of muslims seem to thinks pigs are the worst of animals just because they were banned by Allah to eat, and that they are bad or something.

They're Allah's creation, so why should they be treated as if they were no good?

And, still, why did they kill these pigs when it is the working with them that causes it? It's unnecessary.

I'm not so sure Allah would be happy for a country to start slaughtering innocent animals in cruel ways even when there hasn't been a case of the Swine Flu there. But, that's just my assumption. (Apparently there has been a case in Egypt, but it was from a German tourist who visited a pig farm in Germany?)

It's not the justice that has me in an uproar about it, it's the ignorant stupidity and lack of guilt "because I felt like they were killing me". :mmokay:


:raging: KILL THOSE NASTY PIGS! MURDERING SWINE!! (BUT IGNORE THAT WE TOOK PART IN THE CREATION OF THE DISEASE AND DON'T TAKE PRECAUTION TO PREVENT THAT!)
Reply

GreyKode
05-30-2009, 09:11 PM
he simple fact is that had the disease been 'bovine flu' and these been cows farmed by muslims rather than pigs farmed by Christians this simply would not have happened
LOL..I live in egypt and fyi a good share of the pig farmers are muslims themsleves.
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Podarok
A lot of muslims seem to thinks pigs are the worst of animals just because they were banned by Allah to eat, and that they are bad or something.
That is not the case at all.. It is a case of what potential harm can be inflicted in a catastrophic fashion by these animals in a country so ill-equipped to handle it!

They're Allah's creation, so why should they be treated as if they were no good?
see above reply.

And, still, why did they kill these pigs when it is the working with them that causes it? It's unnecessary.
Again, euthanizing animals is a necessary evil at times.. happens all the time even in the west.. I don't personally know how they are being handled, if it is a fact or a piece of western propaganda .. but in such circumstance I think it is definitely allowed!
I'm not so sure Allah would be happy for a country to start slaughtering innocent animals in cruel ways even when there hasn't been a case of the Swine Flu there. But, that's just my assumption. (Apparently there has been a case in Egypt, but it was from a German tourist who visited a pig farm in Germany?)
Allah swt has given us reason and using our best judgment as fits a circumstance .. I think in such a case it is perfectly justifiable.. I have never justified torture but again, I really can't assume to believe they are being tortured because some folks with an agenda or from peta seem to think so.

It's not the justice that has me in an uproar about it, it's the ignorant stupidity and lack of guilt "because I felt like they were killing me". :mmokay:
I don't think it is as black or white as all that!


:raging: KILL THOSE NASTY PIGS! MURDERING SWINE!! (BUT IGNORE THAT WE TOOK PART IN THE CREATION OF THE DISEASE AND DON'T TAKE PRECAUTION TO PREVENT THAT!)
I don't believe Egypt partook in the 'creation' of that disease, but people could potentially stand to suffer.. again, there is such a thing as preventative medicine.. and this case is no different...

peace
Reply

HopeFul
05-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Assalamoalaikum

Killing animals with cruelty, or any cruelty has no place in Islam having said that, why does egypt have pigs? Why does it farm pigs? If it is not allowed to be eaten then it shouldnt even be kept in the first place.

It is so inhumane to breed an animal and then kill it on a massive scale in a torturous way, ewww.
Reply

Trumble
05-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I disagree.. Human life is more important and takes priority and is ahead of the other whether subjects to war or to swine flu (or other swine maladies)!
You 'disagree' with what? I said before that I agree human life is more important. Here, though, there is no conflict between the two; this mindless slaughter didn't save a single human life in Egypt, Gaza or anywhere else.

Many folks are killed very inhumanely by white phosphorus bombs and I am not sure I have seen the same uproar or ridiculous asinine comments or even made similar efforts to save the children or act humanely enough to let relief efforts in and lift economic sanctions.
See above. However, there was actually far more of an 'uproar' about white phosphorus than about the slaughter of these pigs (and rightly so), about which I've seen precisely one TV news slot, of 20 seconds or so.

I don't think any Muslim feels blame, or even cares to address the issue. It is a non-issue as far as I am concerned...
And that, I'm afraid, is just painting another target on top of the first. I guess it's just fortunate you never decided to become a vet.

Do you actually have any evidence to support your contention that it was "brought up by impotent hypocrites who fail to offer the same brouhaha to human life.."? That statement is, of course, unsupportable rubbish... when exposed, animal cruelty of this nature is always publicised by animal rights campaigners and even just simple compassionate human beings wherever it occurs, and whoever is responsible. Such people are usually rather more concerned about preserving human life and making a 'brouhaha' about doing so than most.
Reply

Yanal
05-30-2009, 11:05 PM
No animal deserves that. May Allah guide them,some of my collegues have started to eat pork and rice,so no one cares as much...
Reply

جوري
05-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Trumble
You 'disagree' with what? I said before that I agree human life is more important. Here, though, there is no conflict between the two; this mindless slaughter didn't save a single human life in Egypt, Gaza or anywhere else.
you said:
Originally Posted by Trumble
there is no conflict or need to put one ahead of the other.
which if nothing else can be taken to equate human life with pigs or any other creature-- at least that is how I understood it!

See above. However, there was actually far more of an 'uproar' about white phosphorus than about the slaughter of these pigs (and rightly so), about which I've seen precisely one TV news slot, of 20 seconds or so.
If there was such an uproar, then one would reckon the situation would rapidly improve, but it hasn't .. as for the pig situation, the hateful comments and time allotted is quite massive on the internet and youtube!


And that, I'm afraid, is just painting another target on top of the first. I guess it's just fortunate you never decided to become a vet. Do you actually have any evidence to support your contention that it was "brought up by impotent hypocrites who fail to offer the same brouhaha to human life.."? That statement is, of course, unsupportable rubbish... when exposed, animal cruelty of this nature is always publicised by animal rights campaigners and even just simple compassionate human beings wherever it occurs, and whoever is responsible. Such people are usually rather more concerned about preserving human life and making a 'brouhaha' about doing so than most.
I haven't nor do I support the cruelty of animals, my cousin is in fact a veterinarian, I find it a rather frivolous career choice especially in a country like Egypt, which is just the same, she went back to get a doctorate in microbiology -- the less you have the more your priorities change.. and in this case it is no different.

If you made only £2000 a month (and we are talking egyptian not British) as that is in fact what is common, then I reckon Roger & Gallet shower gel and Manolo Blahnik shoes wouldn't be on your list of priorities when you have to pay rent, get health care for your family and put food on the table.. try to carry that anaology through.. No where have I condoned cruelty to animals, however, I think it is indeed necessary for a country that is very ill-equiped to handle any health crisis of that caliber to do whatever it takes to protect its citizens. No eveidence to support has no room here really.. you either do or you take your chances and they have opted for the first and its their right to do so!

as for your later statements.. I really don't know, why bring it up at all, if there was no agenda involved?

all the best
Reply

Periwinkle
06-01-2009, 07:31 AM
In fact, swine flu is a virus spread thro' respiration and cannot be contracted through eating pork. It is a variant which includes avian and human factors, thank goodness the Egytian Govt. (in their ignorance) only slaughtered the swine.

Centuries ago pork was considered unclean because pigs (like other animals and humans) carried tape worms which could transfer to humans, especially in warm climates. Now of course they are regularily dosed so that this does not happen.
Reply

جوري
06-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
In fact, swine flu is a virus spread thro' respiration and cannot be contracted through eating pork. It is a variant which includes avian and human factors, thank goodness the Egytian Govt. (in their ignorance) only slaughtered the swine.

Centuries ago pork was considered unclean because pigs (like other animals and humans) carried tape worms which could transfer to humans, especially in warm climates. Now of course they are regularily dosed so that this does not happen.

Greetings

It doesn't matter whether or not they are regulated.. those who don't eat swine/pigs and their derivatives do so for religious reasons not health reasons.
Eating pigs to some people could be equated with eating giraffes or hippopotamus.. not every animals that is created is so for human consumption!

but you are certainly welcome to all the pigs of Egypt..

all the best
Reply

salafy_masry
06-01-2009, 07:37 AM
I think the killing was not done correctly .. but it was a great move from the government al hamdullilah ...

Also .. I think some brother said it before me .. they are crying over pigs and not crying over babies and kids that was/and is killed by the occupation in Palestine ??
Reply

SirZubair
06-01-2009, 08:58 AM
The green fella' in my Avatar is very sad, as he loves pigs bigtime...
Reply

Fishman
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
:sl:
This is disgusting. Don't they know that not caring about the feelings of others (be they human or not) is a far worse disease than swine flu will ever be?
:w:
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 06:12 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 06:59 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!