/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is this considered riba?

ayan333
05-29-2009, 04:24 PM
:sl:

i was charged $154 ans some change because i over drafted a penny from my account which led to numerous over draft fees.I was clue less of the situation and now im worried that i comitted riba.

did i?

please keep me in you duas

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sampharo
05-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes. Charging a set fee for providing a service is ok, but you are saying overdraft and the number 154 does not sound that it is a set fee without interest. You should not overdraft your account and you can leave instructions with your bank not to allow it to happen. If they won't take your banking business elsewhere, because whether taking or giving, riba is a big sin and God forgive all of us and help us live riba free, I know it is hard nowadays.

ayan333
05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
sorry i didnt completely understand.I overdrafted one penny and then they charged me $35,which is the set fee they charge everytime a overdraft occurs

now,i put $20 in my account after realizing i overdraft but they already charged me the $35 which then left me at -15,so i used my card once again without knowing that they charged me the $35.im i making sence here?

so what am i to do.i didnt know this was riba! i knew it wasnt right and it was doubtful but i didnt think i was going to overdraft.

Ameen to the Duas

Sampharo
05-31-2009, 06:19 AM
This sounds very strange of your bank. Where I come from, you have to sign a document to allow overdraft to occur, otherwise a withdrawal or transfer request will simply be turned down or a cheque will bounce. What you said earlier made me think that you have an overdraft facility allowed.

First off if it's without your knowledge and permission, then you did no wrong. I apologize if I misunderstood earlier. Whatever is charged by the bank if it cannot be argued to be waived, you can just pay it to cut their pain.

Second, I advise you to either get their procedural adjustment to not allow any overdrafting, or change your bank if they won't do that. It happens regularly that people don't know what's remaining in their account so it's bound to happen to you and me that we ask for a withdrawal at an ATM or something without having enough at that time (forgot about an earlier payment, had the money in a different account etc.) so leaving it open like that subjects you first to unnecessary costs and puts you in riba. Try to change the situation.

But anyway, if it happened without your knowledge and intention, don't worry. God does not bear what we do not know of and accidental mistakes and things we forgot: "On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray..) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord..." [2:286]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ayan333
05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
:sl:

i will do that asap InshALLAH

JazakALLAH Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.