/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is today (Friday 29.5) a special day?

glo
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Today people were coming out of the masjid after Friday prayers dressed in what looked special clothing ... is today a special Islamic day, or might this have been a local event (wedding or something like that)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
it's only the Friday sermon & prayer, a muslim is to be clean and presentable at the mosque generally, and especially on special occasions, such as the Friday sermon.

what were they wearing :)?

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Apparently today is the Oak Apple Day.

glo
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
it's only the Friday sermon & prayer, a muslim is to be clean and presentable at the mosque generally, and especially on special occasions, such as the Friday sermon.

what were they wearing :)?
I can confirm that the local Muslims are clean and presentable every Friday :) ... but today they looked dressed for a special occasion (the women and girls more 'sparkly', and the boys and men wearing not just their 'ordinary' prayer caps ...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Apparently today is the Oak Apple Day.
Hhhmmm ... I'm not sure that that's it ... :D

aadil77
05-29-2009, 05:32 PM
actually I was gonna ask is this friday special for jews? because I saw quite a few jews fully dressed and I think they were on their way from a synagogue or something

aadil77
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I can confirm that the local Muslims are clean and presentable every Friday :) ... but today they looked dressed for a special occasion (the women and girls more 'sparkly', and the boys and men wearing not just their 'ordinary' prayer caps ...
signs of a paki...stani wedding or probably some (pakistani) community event

they shouldn't be dressed like that in public anyway, they look hideous ......and unislamic

Whatsthepoint
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hhhmmm ... I'm not sure that that's it ... :D
Oak Apple Day was a holiday celebrated in England on 29 May to commemorate the restoration of the monarchy in Great Britain and Ireland, in May 1660. In some parts of the country, the day was also known as Shick-Shack Day or Arbour Day.

In 1660, Parliament declared 29 May a public holiday:

"Parliament had ordered the 29 of May, the King's birthday, to be for ever kept as a day of thanksgiving for our redemption from tyranny and the King's return to his Government, he entering London that day." [1]

Though the holiday, Oak Apple Day, was formally abolished in 1859, a 1915 film clip of Colonel Lyttleton inspecting the Chelsea pensioners on Oak Apple Day is preserved at the British Film Institute.[2]

Traditional celebrations to commemorate the event often entailed the wearing of oak apples (a type of plant gall, possibly known in some parts of the country as a shick-shack, but see the article on its etymology in the external links) or sprigs of oak leaves, in reference to the occasion after the Battle of Worcester in September 1651, when the future Charles II of England escaped the Roundhead army by hiding in an oak tree near Boscobel House.

I guess they weren't wearing that..
Perhaps there was a wedding or something?

glo
05-29-2009, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
actually I was gonna ask is this friday special for jews? because I saw quite a few jews fully dressed and I think they were on their way from a synagogue or something
Well, I can help you there:
Shavout, Friday, May 29, 2009

Shavout means ‘weeks’ and is celebrated on the 6th of Sivan, seven weeks after Pesach, and originally perhaps had no greater purpose than ‘concluding’ Pesach . In the agricultural year, Pesach was the time of the barley harvest, and Shavuot the wheat harvest, and it is said that the correct time to cut wheat is 50 days after the barley is ripe. As time went on, it, like the other pilgrim festivals of the Jewish year, was given an historical meaning, and Shavuot became z’man matan toratenu, the season of the giving of the (our) Torah.

Pesach commemorated the Exodus from Egypt, the next seven weeks, the period known as the Omer, was also a time of a spiritual journey, to Shavuot and the re-enactment each year of the giving/receiving of Torah at Mount Sinai. While its origins were agricultural, it is interesting that, theologically, for Jews, the 50th day from Pesach is Shavuot, while Christians celebrate Pentecost, literally the 50th day, after Easter, and often the two coincide.
http://news.reformjudaism.org.uk/cal...9/shavuot.html

aadil77
05-29-2009, 05:39 PM
ook thanks, I thought somethin special was up today

glo
05-29-2009, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
signs of a paki...stani wedding or probably some (pakistani) community event

they shouldn't be dressed like that in public anyway, they look hideous ......and unislamic
Perhaps it was a wedding then.

I must say, they looked anything but hideous! More like joyous people having cause to celebrate. :)

noorseeker
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Its pay day

aadil77
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Its pay day
:D where do you work?

glo
06-07-2009, 05:33 PM
To clarify, I met a muslimah friend later that day and asked if it was special occasion.
She said it wasn't - only that summer had arrived and everybody was showing off their prettiest colours! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.