/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Beard issue

Chains of Faith
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
:sl:

Well, I have had a sudden urge to keep a beard. Thanks to Allah, nowadays I am offering five times prayer and trying to do everything a true Muslim should. But for the past few days I have wanted to keep a beard. Since I am living in a Muslim country it wont be a big problem in terms of society but my friends and relatives warn me that I will have problems if I go for higher studies in the UK. I am 17 years old right now and desire to study in a good University, which by the Grace of Almighty Allah I hope I will achieve. But the problem for me is, should I follow my will and keep a beard now? or, should I wait to complete my studies?

and, does anybody here who live in the UK or any other country and have a beard, face problems in University applications?

and one more thing, somebody told me keeping a beard is actually Wajib, is that true?

Thank you for listening to my problem.
:)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yusuf18
05-29-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shinji

Well, I have had a sudden urge to keep a beard. Thanks to Allah, nowadays I am offering five times prayer and trying to do everything a true Muslim should. But for the past few days I have wanted to keep a beard. Since I am living in a Muslim country it wont be a big problem in terms of society but my friends and relatives warn me that I will have problems if I go for higher studies in the UK. I am 17 years old right now and desire to study in a good University, which by the Grace of Almighty Allah I hope I will achieve. But the problem for me is, should I follow my will and keep a beard now? or, should I wait to complete my studies?

and, does anybody here who live in the UK or any other country and have a beard, face problems in University applications?

and one more thing, somebody told me keeping a beard is actually Wajib, is that true?

yes its fard

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2009, 07:50 PM

mashallah bro may Allah reward you for your intentions, ameen. Well if anything, you shouldn't compromise your deen for anything. When you do anything for Allahs sake, he always helps you through, whether u face trials or happiness. So trust Allah and go on with it :D may Allah make it easy for you, ameen.

Chains of Faith
05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Ahah.

Could you please quote some Quranic reference or Hadith regarding it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi'ya
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Assalamualaikum

Alhamdulillah you have made a very wise decision inshAllah.

There are plenty of brothers in UK who study at university who have a beard. It may well be worth checking out the university first though and seeing what the Muslim population is like there. I can certainly advise you with regards to a few universities, and if I cant help I am sure that other brothers/sisters can.

Where you thinking of studying??

Inshallah your "problem" is easily solved :)

true believer
05-29-2009, 07:53 PM
DNT TOUCH THAT FACE! lol beards r awesome dude. wallahi. they actually make a man look...more manly n handsome mashalla. its beatiful, and i think u shud neva shave again :D (seriously..dnt!) and...this is a brother's issue...but IF i was a brother, i would trim it only a bit..cos its haram i think. just tiny lilttle trim every month so it grows well. and erm....wash it with...condintor so it becomes soft...and....somethin else. I AINT MAN! i duno everythin! but anyway, just saying..beards rock! (exits quietly)

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Ahah.

Could you please quote some Quranic reference or Hadith regarding it.
Hadith - Muslim, Narrated AbuHurayrah

The Messenger of Allah said: Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2009, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by true believer
DNT TOUCH THAT FACE! lol beards r awesome dude. wallahi. they actually make a man look...more manly n handsome mashalla. its beatiful, and i think u shud neva shave again :D (seriously..dnt!) and...this is a brother's issue...but IF i was a brother, i would trim it only a bit..cos its haram i think. just tiny lilttle trim every month so it grows well. and erm....wash it with...condintor so it becomes soft...and....somethin else. I AINT MAN! i duno everythin! but anyway, just saying..beards rock! (exits quietly)
loool ;D

I agree sis...beards are awesome :thumbs_up

:skeleton:

Chains of Faith
05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Rabiya, I am hoping to seek admission at any good university abroad.

and I thank you for the good advice true believer.. lol

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
loool ;D

to be honest men look better without beard expeshly if the man has nice sharp face

Sampharo
05-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Brother Shinji,

Congratulations on your decision. The beard is sunnah wajiba as in an order from the prophet -pbuh- to be grown and for the mostache to be shortened. Some scholars say that it needs to be freely grown to at least the length of a fist (as if you can grab it off your chin and it would be showing below your fist) and then you can trim it, some say leave it long no matter what. Many, especially contemporary ones, say the requirement is to have a beard and the length is not specific. None of those are in specific clearly in the wrong, it's just different ways of interpreting hadiths and sunnah.

If you make a decent looking beard and keep groomed nicely, it should not present any problems. Even though some people in the UK will work against you since they will know you and target you, you will insha Allah find those who are the opposite, who will help you when they see it and know you. So go with God and insha Allah everything will be ok.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2009, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yusuf18
to be honest men look better without beard expeshly if the man has nice sharp face
Thats your opinion brother lol...I've never thought clean shave was the best, even b4 i started practising. Yea sure some look nice... but even better with it. Soooo beards still supercede :thumbs_up

yusuf18
05-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Thats your opinion brother lol...I've never thought clean shave was the best, even b4 i started practising...yea sure some look nice but even better with it. Soooo beards still supercede :thumbs_up
its fard so have to do it

nebula
05-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Asalaamalaykum bro, mashallah its a really good thing that you want to grow your beard, bro i don't think it will effect your university applications, inshallah everything comes from Allah, hes the provider, so obey his commands and inshallah you'll see everything ease up, its only hard when we make it hard. My brother has a big beard lol and hes in uni so alhumdulilah i don't see any reason why it should effect you getting into the university.

Bro grow your beard asap inshallah :D get the ajar for it dont wait till after your studies, and yes bro its fard for us men to grow our beards!

also beards keep ur chin warm in the winter akhi :P and its a nice place to put ur hands if udont have gloves

ragdollcat1982
05-29-2009, 08:56 PM
loool ;D

I think it depends on the man. I personally know of one man that can pull off the beard. I personally prefer a clean shaven appearance.

Maimunah
05-29-2009, 09:40 PM
salaam

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The beard (al-lahyah) is that which grows on the cheeks and chin, as was explained by the author of al-Qaamoos. It is obligatory to leave the hair that grows on the cheeks and chin, and not to shave it or cut it.

May Allaah reform the affairs of all the Muslims.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/325.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The definition of the beard (al-lahyah) as stated by the scholars of the (Arabic) language is the hair of the face, jawbone and cheeks, in the sense that everything that grows on the cheeks, jawbone and chin is part of the beard. Removing any part of it also comes under the heading of sin, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Leave the beard alone” and “Let the beard grow.” This indicates that it is not permissible to remove any part of it, but the sin varies in degree; shaving is more serious than removing a part of it because it is a more extreme action and the one who shaves it more clearly goes against the command than the one who trims it.

Fataawa Hammah, p. 36

convert
05-30-2009, 12:07 AM
my beard is a few inches long. didnt hurt me at all with my interview at my current job. then again, i am a unix c/c++ programmer, so they probably figured it comes with the territory.

i get the most crap because of my beard from muslims, unfortunately.

ragdollcat1982
05-30-2009, 12:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
my beard is a few inches long. didnt hurt me at all with my interview at my current job. then again, i am a unix c/c++ programmer, so they probably figured it comes with the territory.

i get the most crap because of my beard from muslims, unfortunately.

My husband used to have a beard and he did not look good with it, but as a Chrisitan he isnt obligated to keep a beard. I dont think a beard is bad if kept neat and trimmed around the face, but not hanging down. That is just me though.

Yanal
05-30-2009, 12:46 AM
If my memories serve right bro Farhan went to uni and kept a beard so best ask him...

SistaSista
05-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Salam Alaykum brother,

Beard is part of Islam so should be kept and if the uni does not like it tough, it would be wrong for any uni not to accept you because of this, I would also advise not to come to the UK, UK governement is anti-Islam, (am I allowed to say this) but if you do still want to come there are are lots of Muslim communities, check out which areas have a large Muslim population and try to speak with a few brothers from the area before you come, so you know what you getting into, many born British muslims are on culture and not religion.

Salam

Yanal
05-30-2009, 12:57 AM
But here in Canada there are job problems tht people are getting overlooked because of their last name..so sad,hope I get one because my name is fortunately unique...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2009, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I think it depends on the man. I personally know of one man that can pull off the beard. I personally prefer a clean shaven appearance.
Yes of course, everyone has their preference and not everyone looks bad without one. I just happen to like the beard...

Yanal
05-30-2009, 01:29 AM
But most men who are not married and have no experience with women whatsoever think that the beard will ruin a light kiss..tht is not true right sisters ?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2009, 01:35 AM
*I have absolutely no clue*

Don't see why it should...

Yanal
05-30-2009, 01:39 AM
You see if the beard is stringy it will hurt if on skin,get it ?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2009, 01:40 AM
I dont think i wana answer

*Reply to post below me*

Yanal
05-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Tht is offtopic...

Btw just tell your view,my boss is cool so he wont plus our admin bro Abd Al Rahmaan might even answer :shade:

ragdollcat1982
05-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Yes of course, everyone has their preference and not everyone looks bad without one. I just happen to like the beard...
Nothing wrong with that as long as the man cares and grooms it. My husband looks like Santa clause with it.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Yea of course, hygiene is important.

lol @ santa ;D

ragdollcat1982
05-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Yea of course, hygiene is important.

lol @ santa ;D
My husband is 27 years older than me hes 53 and while his hair is salt and pepper his entire beard is gray ;D

Yanal
05-30-2009, 02:13 AM
My question abt beards "Should men who are aging dye their hair black ?"

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2009, 02:40 AM
We can't dye it black I believe.

Yanal
05-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Really...? Tht is new...

Yanal
05-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Oh I just learned you cannot dye it if you are not using heena to clarify.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Does it have to be henna?

Woodrow
05-30-2009, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
My question abt beards "Should men who are aging dye their hair black ?"
I do not believe it is permissable.

On a personal note I look at the same as I would look upon a man tearing up his college diploma and replacing it with his kindergarten graduation certificate.

A man's beard is his visible diploma to show what he has accomplished. A white beard is evidence that he has based many hard tests of life and has graduated from the child world of earthly concerns and has earned the right to concentrate upon what is important.

A white beard shows a man has completed the Doctorate requirements of Dunya and is now concerned only with the post-doctoral test of the Akirah.

Only an idiot who does not see the value of a white beard and fails to look at each hair in it as a finished test, would think of dying a white beard any color.

Tony
05-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Alhamdulillah get yr beard on dude ! May Allah reward you for following ur guidance, but beware we glance sideways at Muslims with beards in the UK sometimes :D

Yanal
05-30-2009, 04:07 AM
And you might meet a member and they might recognize u...

Dawud_uk
05-30-2009, 06:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chains of Faith

this is absolute rubbish, it is easier to keep a beard here than in many muslim countries.

Chains of Faith
05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Actually in other countries don't the people consider you a terrorist if you keep a beard?

S_87
05-30-2009, 10:23 AM
you should have absolutely no problem with a beard in the UK...actually its easier to keep it here than in some muslim countries Alhumdulillah

S_87
05-30-2009, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chains of Faith
Actually in other countries don't the people consider you a terrorist if you keep a beard?
yeh..in other countries...have you ever visited the UK?

Faith.
05-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Beard's are awsome..:coolious:
They make a man....Look Manly.
Can't get simpler than that.!:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.