/* */

PDA

View Full Version : In the light of Islam can a muslim child play with a stuff toy shaped like a pig ?

samra
05-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Recently I observed in dubai (which is an islamic city) that on T-shirts,stuff toys and on many other house hold things either in cartoonic form or whtever there is a figure of pig,so as i showed my dislike towards it..my muslim friend argued with me that its only HARAM to eat pork,keep pig as a pet or even have any sorf of business tht deals with live pig..but letting our children play with pig stuff toy or make them wear t-shirts which has got pig figure on it is OK !!! after all its jst an animal and we shuld act against it :S
now what im confused about is although i condemn this idea but i want to know what exactly islam says about it in such situations
p.s i kno that islam doesnt encourage human figure or animal figure but we do let our children play with fictional characters like batman barbie superman and make them wear their favorite cartoon character T-shirts ..but i personally feel that pig is too much!!
so plz let me kno what does islam has to say abt it.
Thank You

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
05-31-2009, 06:16 AM
:sl:

i dont know the answer specifically about pigs but toys for children are generally allowed (the scholars differ on the level of detail allowed to them).

but also dubai is not an islamic city, it is a muslim city where many filthy evil thnigs take place which are not even forbidden by society or the government and the rule of Allah is not respected or enforced.

crayon
05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
I find that strange. I used to live in the UAE, and all schools that followed the Ministry of Education's system had to somewhat "censor" the textbooks; any pictures or stories that discussed pigs, the holocaust, or had "inappropriate" stuff were either torn out or colored over with a black marker. But perhaps this is just in schools..

This reminds me of the whole munnajid and tom & jerry thing.. You should google it, perhaps you'll find some sort of fatwa.
Here's something I found: link

samra
05-31-2009, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

i dont know the answer specifically about pigs but toys for children are generally allowed (the scholars differ on the level of detail allowed to them).

but also dubai is not an islamic city, it is a muslim city where many filthy evil thnigs take place which are not even forbidden by society or the government and the rule of Allah is not respected or enforced.

Salamz
Thanks for the information,
yea you are right its not an Islamic city..i will change it..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
samra
05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I find that strange. I used to live in the UAE, and all schools that followed the Ministry of Education's system had to somewhat "censor" the textbooks; any pictures or stories that discussed pigs, the holocaust, or had "inappropriate" stuff were either torn out or colored over with a black marker. But perhaps this is just in schools..

This reminds me of the whole munnajid and tom & jerry thing.. You should google it, perhaps you'll find some sort of fatwa.
Here's something I found: link
Yea you are right ,even i have seen that but recently this has became a common sight.Its very sad.

Sampharo
05-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Well toys and dolls in general are not forbidden because they help the children develop first their tactile skills and later their social and mental skills. I cannot give an opinion specifically on a pig doll or toy because I haven't come across things written about the subject, but seems to me regardless of permissible or not, the simple common sense for a muslim parent is not to want their child to form a bond with a filthy animal we are forbidden from eating or touching.

Anyway, as for Dawod's comment regarding Dubai, he is right. I lived there a section of my life and it is a western city with a seedy underbelly, they believe is necessary to keep like that to attract the Western talent and business capital. The local people though are the nicest I have met from the local Arabs of the Arab peninsula as a whole and I have practically dealt with them all. Dubai locals are humble, smart, kind, energetic, and quite fair.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.