/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Egypt mufti issues fatwa on use of WMD

Uthman
06-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Muslims should not use weapons of mass destruction and possess them only as a deterrent, a top Islamic cleric says.

Grand Mufti of Egypt Ali Gomaa said using such weapons would violate Islamic teachings as Muslims as well as non-Muslims could be killed.

He issued the religious ruling, or fatwa, following reports that the use of such weapons was legitimate, the state news agency Mena said.

His ruling comes just days before the visit of US President Barack Obama.

Mr Obama, who arrives on 4 June, is expected to give a speech on US relations with the Muslim world.

On a recent visit to Turkey he said the US was not at war with Islam and called for a greater partnership with the Muslim world.

Cairo has said it does not want to make atomic bombs and in the past has called for a region free of nuclear weapons.

Correspondents say that is a reference to Israel - the only Middle Eastern power suspected of possessing such an arsenal.

Pakistan is the only Muslim country known to have nuclear weapons, although Western powers and Israel suspect Iran of trying to develop an atomic bomb.

The grand mufti, who is state-appointed, also said it was also not allowed for Muslims to kill civilians even during a declared war.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sampharo
06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
God grant him guidance. No good can come of those except to scare others from using them against us.

Eric H
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Uthmān;

If only we could stop spending billions on nuclear weapons, and give it freely to the poor, the oppressed and the starving millions, this planet would be a better place.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

Pomak
06-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Grand Mufti of Egypt Ali Gomaa said using such weapons would violate Islamic teachings as Muslims as well as non-Muslims could be killed.
I hope there was something lost in translation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
I think you may have misunderstood what he was saying. I don't think he meant that it would be alright if only Non-Muslims are killed, although I do understand how the sentence could be interpreted that way.

Sampharo
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
I think his last statement clarifies a bit: "also said it was also not allowed for Muslims to kill civilians even during a declared war."

Zafran
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Salaam

WMDs = haram. End of story - for goodnes sake we're not even allowed to use fire or burn people.

peace

Trumble
06-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm confused. If there is total prohibition on using WMDs, how can they be a 'deterrent'?

Pomak
06-07-2009, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
I think you may have misunderstood what he was saying. I don't think he meant that it would be alright if only Non-Muslims are killed, although I do understand how the sentence could be interpreted that way.
Oh yeah i understood it, but thought that the way that was translated wasn't the best.

Damage to environment should be the justification of the ban, since you can actually avoid hitting civilians if you pick the battlefield wisely(outside of population centers) But it is impossible to avoid the radiation aftermath.

I'm confused. If there is total prohibition on using WMDs, how can they be a 'deterrent'?
Its called M.A.D. Mutually assured destruction, basically i can kill you, you can kill me so lets not fight because both of us want to live.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.