/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Best morning routine?

rpwelton
06-01-2009, 04:06 PM
As the days get longer and the nights get shorter in the northern reaches of the world, it becomes increasingly harder to maintain a regular morning routine. During the winter and early spring, I had gotten in to the habit of staying up after fajr and reading Qur'an, practicing Arabic, or something else benefiting my deen.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said that the time after the Fajr prayer is the most blessed time (sorry can't find the hadeeth at the moment). It also makes sense for those who work a regular 9 to 5 job: when you come home from work at the end of the day, you don't really have the energy or concentration for anything you read or memorize to sink in. Thus, the early morning before work presents the best opportunity.

However, the problem for me (and I'm sure for others who live in similar latitudes) is that 'Isha is at 10pm and Fajr is at 3:30am. I find myself usually getting to bed at around 11pm (on a good night) after getting back from the masjid, which is just a 10 minute walk from my apartment. Usually I get about 3 to 4 hours of sleep, then it's time for Fajr.

When I come back from the masjid after Fajr, I want to be productive, but I just feel so laggy that I plop back into bed, knowing in my mind that 3 or 4 hours of sleep is not going to get me through the day. If I wake up at around 7am, I don't have much time before it's time to get ready and go to work.

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on how to best manage the early morning in order to get the most out of it?

Jazak Allah khayrn.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I so know what you mean akhi, when the nights were longer and the days were shorter I had a nice routine of going to sleep after isha and waking up at 3-4 am and praying some tahajjud then fajar and going to college all day.

I'd then come home stay awake for 1 or 2 hours read isha and go sleep. Now I can't do that :( I'm finding it hard to adjust from the routine it's like my body can't get out of that pattern.

Sampharo
06-02-2009, 06:46 AM
What do you do from 5 at night till Isha time at 10? That time I hope is not on TV is it? :)

Look I'm sure not (was just joking), but math is math, and 7 am minus 11 pm equals 8 hours to sleep in, inclusive of one and half hours to wake up, wash up, and go for fajr prayer and come back to bed. Unless you can mutate space and time to make Isha earlier or can change the working time, there is no way you can fit decent studying time around fajr time.

The way I see it, you either come home after work, have a light dinner, a good cup of herbal tea, remove distractions and study in the evening, or talk to your company about flexible hours that maybe you can start work at 11 am.

:)

HopeFul
06-02-2009, 06:56 AM
:sl:

Although I do not work, yet I have trouble keeping up with my rest as ishaa starts around 11:45 and fajr 3:45

runing around after kids from 6:30 am to 8 pm, I get exhausted, and even then I have to still wait for even maghrib (9:20 pm something..)

None of them sleep in the afternoon either..

I am lookinf forward to suggestions,

for now I have dark under eye cricles for he last one month which are getting worse by the day, havent properly done any arabic or Quraan study or any committing to memory excercise as my brains all the time in a stupor

and everything else I do goes wrong too, I barely struggle to do salat!!!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
convert
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
honestly: get your sleep.

my schedule is such that im up from 4 am and not in bed until 1130 if im lucky. i didnt used to drink coffee but im up to like 3 cups a day now, along with crashing hardcore over the weekend (12-14 hours sleep per day).

if i could get a little bit of sleep right after fajr and before work, id gladly take it.

BintAbee
06-02-2009, 01:08 PM
:sl:

I don't know if I'll be of much help.. our times are pretty adjustable... but just my suggestion... you want the morning to be productive ... so don't sleep after Fajr, but catch up on this sleep after Dhuhr (or whenever you come home from work), but just make sure not to miss Asr... I don't know if that's a practical suggestion :?

May Allah make it easy for you. Whoever strives will find.

:w:

rpwelton
06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
What do you do from 5 at night till Isha time at 10? That time I hope is not on TV is it? :)

Look I'm sure not (was just joking), but math is math, and 7 am minus 11 pm equals 8 hours to sleep in, inclusive of one and half hours to wake up, wash up, and go for fajr prayer and come back to bed. Unless you can mutate space and time to make Isha earlier or can change the working time, there is no way you can fit decent studying time around fajr time.

The way I see it, you either come home after work, have a light dinner, a good cup of herbal tea, remove distractions and study in the evening, or talk to your company about flexible hours that maybe you can start work at 11 am.

:)
When I come home (usually around 6 or 6:30), I spend a little time with my wife, have dinner, do the dishes, then go to the masjid for Maghrib.

Right now the best thing for me is probably to utilize the time between Maghrib and 'Isha. I'll try that for now and see how it goes, insha'Allah.

Jazak Allah Khayrn for all the suggestions.

noorseeker
06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
We just have to sacrifice it for a few months,

The latest isha in uk is 11pm, and the earliest is 4.05 am. Only around june , july

so only a couple of months , I do like the prayer times changing, it keeps things fresh.

Brothers and sisters, be happy, smile, like fasting , you can physically feel that you are sacrificing for Allah swt.

I work the night shift, so my day or shall i say night is very long.

Yanal
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
My routine:
Wake up and pray fajr,go on MSN for India users then take a shower for LI until I go to school.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.