/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I sunni?

Salahudeen
06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
salaam not sure if I'm allowed to post this, if I'm not just delete it, but today
on the bus when I was coming home from college my friend asked me if i was sunni.

I said I was then he asked me what masjid I go to and he said "that's a ****** mosque your not sunni your a ******"

Then I said to him what's a ****** and he said do you believe the prophet pbuh was made from light or an ordinary human man made from flesh

I said I believe he was made from human flesh just like the rest of us then he said "those are ****** beliefs" then he said did u celebrate mawlid I said "no cos sahabba or prophet pbuh didn't celebrate it" then he said "Yep you're a defo ******, don't call yourself sunni"

I was just bamboozled and wasn't sure what to say, I've always considered myself sunni cos I try to follow the prophet's pbuh sunnah as much as possible but now he's confused me cos all the other boys started saying I was wahabbi too :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
salaam not sure if I'm allowed to post this, if I'm not just delete it, but today
on the bus when I was coming home from college my friend asked me if i was sunni.

I said I was then he asked me what masjid I go to and he said "that's a ****** mosque your not sunni your a ******"

Then I said to him what's a ****** and he said do you believe the prophet pbuh was made from light or an ordinary human man made from flesh

I said I believe he was made from human flesh just like the rest of us then he said "those are ****** beliefs" then he said did u celebrate mawlid I said "no cos sahabba or prophet pbuh didn't celebrate it" then he said "Yep you're a defo ******, don't call yourself sunni"

I was just bamboozled and wasn't sure what to say, I've always considered myself sunni cos I try to follow the prophet's pbuh sunnah as much as possible but now he's confused me cos all the other boys started saying I was wahabbi too :?
Salaam

and he said do you believe the prophet pbuh was made from light or an ordinary
This is sounds breweli to me and furthermore this thread is going to be closed because its secterian.

Mawlid is a debatable issue anyway.

By the way sunni is a broad term anyway - 90% are sunni - yes including the "modern salafii movement" that started in the Najd.

aadil77
06-02-2009, 08:23 PM
are your friends over religious or claim to be religious? because I've never had any of these kind of convos with my mates, they don't ever talk about these things probably because they're not very practising or too into islam

But I always thought the beliefs you just mentioned are actually sunni beliefs

Salahudeen
06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
oh sorry I didn't realise

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doorster
06-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Salahudeen
06-02-2009, 08:26 PM
yeah they are, it started when they saw me praying differently to them, they said I pray like a girl and that's who ******'s pray :(

the only diff thing i noticed was i raised my hands to my chest after every allah u akbar and they didn't.

crayon
06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
^They do that in the shafi'i madhab as well, which is sunni of course.
edit- Wait, when exactly do you mean you raise your hands? Before rukoo? Or some other time?

Zafran
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
yeah they are, it started when they saw me praying differently to them, they said I pray like a girl and that's who ******'s pray :(

the only diff thing i noticed was i raised my hands to my chest after every allah u akbar and they didn't.
They are brewlis I think and there are 4 madhabs (schools of thought) on how to pray you should tell them that - all those 4 schools of thought are sunni - as i said broad tradtion - if they went to north africa they would see people praying with there hands by there side - tell them that.

Sampharo
06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Squiggle, what you described in prayer difference is nothing major and both Sunni. The ones who don't raise are Hanafi and Maliki followers, the ones who do are Shafei and Hanbali followers. Those are four schools of thought in Sunni.

The first one is of great concern though, thinking that the prophet Mohammed was created out of light is probably the craziest hogwash I have heard. It is not only not Sunni teachings, but it is not Islamic to believe that.

Sunni means to follow the Sunna, as in the habits, sayings and traditions of the prophet. Don't label yourself or trouble yourself with misguided people, you are a Muslim my friend who believes in one God al-hamdolellah and knows his prophet, a man of flesh and blood, carried his message that will lead us to paradise. If someone thinks that hands are down or up at a certain point of prayer is reason to create divisions, then it shouldn't be even a point of discussion unless you gained huge amounts of knowledge along with the wisdom to conduct a talk with decent respect and without raising animosities.

And may God grant you paradise

Zafran
06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
^They do that in the shafi'i madhab as well, which is sunni of course.
edit- Wait, when exactly do you mean you raise your hands? Before rukoo? Or some other time?
salaam

I think he means Rafia dyn - which is vaild in the Hanbali and shafi schools of thought.

S_87
06-02-2009, 08:39 PM

hanbalis pray like that too.

tell them stop disrespecting the name of Allah and Muhammed :arabic5: himself said he was just a man as in the Quran it states that. he NEVER said he was made from light

Zafran
06-02-2009, 08:41 PM
salaam

By the way are your= friends from Pakistan :)

The first one is of great concern though, thinking that the prophet Mohammed was created out of light is probably the craziest hogwash I have heard. It is not Sunni at all to believe so and whomever claims that.
I read something like this from a book from Pakistan.

Salahudeen
06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
yes they're all pakistani, I raise my hands before ruku and before sajdah

Zafran
06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
yes they're all pakistani, I raise my hands before ruku and before sajdah
Yeah i got you - they pray like Hanifas you pray like shafi/Hanbali

Both are sunni except the whole idea about the prophet being made out of light - thats not sunni

are you from the mid east?

doorster
06-02-2009, 08:55 PM
since no one is locking this, I should reinstate my post in defence of Hanaf/Sufi Brethren
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

By the way are your= friends from Pakistan :)

I read something like this from a book from Pakistan.
it was hadees "narrated" by Hadrat Jabir ra, which nobody has managed to produce a sanad for and which has been classified as fabricated only recently!

“Hadith of Jabir”:

`Abd al-Razzaq
(d. 211) narrates it in his Musannaf according to Qastallani in al-Mawahib al-laduniyya (1:55) and Zarqani in his Sharh al-mawahib (1:56 of the Matba`a al-`amira edition in Cairo).
if a scholar/teacher repeats it after having heard it, does he become deviant brelvi? or is it just that poor man does not own a library of book?

If this is lying/deviant brelvism, then recording fabricated ahadith in books, even if with the sanad, would be an even greater lie to the Ummah, as per *W* sect's incredible logic!

There is absolutely no sign of this narration, in any book of hadith.

Someone mistakenly attributed it to Abd ar-Razzak and others followed suit, all relying on the first one, thinking that he must have seen it in there.

This is why one will find many senior Ulama of the last few centuries attributing it to Abd ar-Razzak. Most of them took it from Sharh al-Mawahib, who incorrectly referenced it. None of these Ulama had copies of the Musannaf of Abd ar-Razzak, to properly ascertain its existence, neither did any of them ever mention a sanad for it.

Salahudeen
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
no am pakistani too

Zafran
06-02-2009, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
since no one is locking this, I should reinstate my post in defence of Hanaf/Sufi Brethren

it was hadees "narrated" by Hadrat Jabir ra, which nobody has managed to produce a sanad for and which has been classified as fabricated only recently!

if a scholar/teacher repeats it after having heard it, does he become deviant brelvi? or is it just that poor man does not own a library of book?
Whatever the reason this is preety scary stuff - telling people that the prophet was made out of light -

anyway no problem with sufis - just the problem with Gullet sufis - the ones that exaggerate.

This is also a good reason why the Deleel is so important - if the modern Salafi movemnet has given us anything good - its challenging people to check the opnion again with Deelal.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.