/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Discrimination and Promotion

Wyatt
06-03-2009, 03:09 AM
America.

I am not a Muslim, but I do love and study Islam. I constantly try to correct others on their portrayals of Islam- especially as terrorists.

A show was on TV and I was studying with my mother in the room as well. She was watching a show about the Taliban and when the guy said "Their main reason for joining the Taliban is for their God, Allah." Then, my mother gave me a look as if to say, "I told you so," or something. I got mad and did not say anything.

I went to school with a lot of Christians who constantly made remarks about muslims and terrorism, but I often just ignored them knowing that they did not know what they were saying.

My aunt recently made a comment about "those people overseas who cover up their women," and I corrected her telling her about where in 1 Corinthians, it says Christian women should cover up.

But, whenever I do say anything, people just ignore me or nod their heads and wait until I turn my back. I think they find comfort in what they see on the media, which paints itself to be some educated source on all knowledge. It's very discouraging, but I am too stubborn to ignore it.

It is probably easier to deal with the discrimination when one is an actual Muslim because one would have their people as a support group. But, when I feel offended because of it, I do not feel like I have anyone to talk to about it.

I want to do something for Islam to help its image in the public's eye. I want to be active in Islamic promotion, but what would a group of Muslims think if an atheist wanted to help them? There's bound to be some awkwardness or even some discrimination because of it. But, then it would seem like I am being discriminated from every side of it. The atheists who want to slam religion, the muslims who disapprove of my disbelief, the misinformed Christians/media, etc.

I have often thought of an idea for some organisation called "Atheists for Islam" kind of like those atheists that 'follow the teachings of Jesus'. Does anyone know of something like that?

Any help, please? imsad

Thanks. :X

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
First of all, thank you for going beyond what the media spews and trying to get the truth directly from the source. Also, for defending this truth against the many misconceptions people hold against it nowadays. It's nice to see someone who's not muslim sticking up for islam. :)

As for you joining some sort of muslim group- there's bound to be some awkwardness at first, because people will be unsure of what exactly you're doing there, and whether you're for real or not. As soon as they get to know you, and know your intentions are pure though I'm sure they'd love having you on board. :)

An "atheists for islam" group would be interesting, although somehow I don't see you getting many members, lol...:><:

transition?
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Ramadan's not that far away!

You should find connections at a mosque near by. You could begin some kind of informal program of taking curious people with you to mosques. They might be more comfortable going with you than by themselves or with another Muslim. Ramadan would be the best time of taking them!

If you need connections, if you're ever in a grocery store or wherever, you see a Muslim brother, just walk up and introduce yourself. Most Muslims go giddy when they see someone interested :0! Explain your interest andthe person will probably give a business card or maybe invite you to the next gathering.

If you can't find one on the streets, just try the mosque! :thumbs_up

Sampharo
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Whatever you do or speak of for Islam would be far more credible than anything prepared by muslims considering to them you will appear as a truly neutral source. You can start with some journalistic effort, like an article or something interviewing a few islamic scholars in trustworthy organizations and getting the Islamic true view on sensetive issues like Taliban and terrorism and all that, and then see if you can get the article published in your local newspaper or something. If you are into TV you can make a documentary, or media interviews in person with the scholars. Just suggestions.

I guess Islam will have a new Abu Taleb. :)

BTW, why is it that you're not saying that you're considering Islam in terms of belief? You don't seem a regular athiest to me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Wyatt
06-05-2009, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
Whatever you do or speak of for Islam would be far more credible than anything prepared by muslims considering to them you will appear as a truly neutral source. You can start with some journalistic effort, like an article or something interviewing a few islamic scholars in trustworthy organizations and getting the Islamic true view on sensetive issues like Taliban and terrorism and all that, and then see if you can get the article published in your local newspaper or something. If you are into TV you can make a documentary, or media interviews in person with the scholars. Just suggestions.

I guess Islam will have a new Abu Taleb. :)

BTW, why is it that you're not saying that you're considering Islam in terms of belief? You don't seem a regular athiest to me.
As much as I would love Islam to be my religion, I just don't believe in it. I feel quite attached to it, but what I believe is much different. :) I'm not an atheist that fits the stereotype people hold where I'm some grumpy guy with some grudge against life out to disprove all religions and read science books all day. I don't know any atheists like that at all, nor do I know anyone like that in general. Haha.

We have very few muslims where I live, but during my studies in University, I plan on taking Islamic Studies and Arabic. :statisfie It would be hard to find very many to create an article or something. I'll figure something out.

I can't seem to find any online places that have atheists for Islam. It's all material for muslims to try and convert atheists, hah.

Zafran
06-05-2009, 05:17 AM
Salaam

Thanks bro for helping people and reducing the misconceptions on Islam - May Allah guide you and bless you.

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.