/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Art in Islam. Please, I'm in a need for help.

anonymous
06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi brothers and sisters.

I've been convinced enough that drawing pictures of people/animals is haram in our religion. The thing is that, drawing was one of my most favourite hobbies. Now, i'm really depressed about it. Allah has given me artistic ability, and I'm so thankful for that. But now I don't feel like I even want that artistic ability anymore, because I'm not allowed to draw pictures of humans.

I'm not trying to imitate Allah. I just want to draw, because I love to draw comics and such. I'm even scared to use emoticons and smilies. Brothers and sisters, what do I do?

How do I make a suicide that is not sinful. I can't find happiness. I hate that I was even created. I feel as if everything I like to do, is forbidden in Islam.

I used to have ambitions, I used to be happy. I wanted to be an artist, but I found out that the forms of art I like is forbidden in Islam. I dont' know what to do in life anymore. Now I'm scared that another certain "hobby" of mine is forbidden as well. I do not want to say what this certain hobby is, because I'm scared that people might say that it's forbidden.

The hobby is not premarital sex or anything of that sort.

It's a different hobby that's made my life so happy. I don't know if it's forbidden or not. If it's forbidden, then I don't think I can ever be happy in life. Why doesn't Allah just forbid "happiness" in our religion? I wish I was never created.

And please don't tell me that there are many other things to do in life, because I don't care. If this "certain" hobby is forbidden, I just want to end life with out making it sinful.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
What do you do? You channel your talents into something not forbidden by Allah. Allah has allowed you to draw anything at all, just as long as it's not an animal or person. The world is your oyster. Think of this as a good thing, actually. You're going to be coming out of your comfort zone, be forced to draw things you're not used to drawing. It will take more effort, but you may discover you're good at things you never even knew existed, whether it's surreal art, landscapes, abstract, impressionism, etc. Do a bit of art history research and try to find what you like most, what you'd be best at. Find your niche'.

I'd always loved art, and growing up, I tried virtually every single form of it possible. Pottery, sculpting sketching, calligraphy, cartooning, working with watercolors, oil, chalk pastels- you name it, I tried it. Sketching was always my favorite, and I wasn't too bad at it either. But then I realized that drawing living souls was prohibited. I stopped, and began searching for something else. I found photography, which I love a million times more than I ever did sketching; I'm better at it too.

So basically, use this to your advantage, and don't give up on art altogether.
Whoever leaves something for the sake of Allah, Allah will replace it with something better. :)

Banu_Hashim
06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
The type of art I love doing is Calligraphy. Islamic Calligraphy requires so much skill and control... try it! It can be really simple too. And then you can move onto the more advanced painting....

Asif Intesar
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
What do you do? You channel your talents into something not forbidden by Allah. Allah has allowed you to draw anything at all, just as long as it's not an animal or person. The world is your oyster. Think of this as a good thing, actually. You're going to be coming out of your comfort zone, be forced to draw things you're not used to drawing. It will take more effort, but you may discover you're good at things you never even knew existed, whether it's surreal art, landscapes, abstract, impressionism, etc. Do a bit of art history research and try to find what you like most, what you'd be best at. Find your niche'.

I'd always loved art, and growing up, I tried virtually every single form of it possible. Pottery, sculpting sketching, calligraphy, cartooning, working with watercolors, oil, chalk pastels- you name it, I tried it. Sketching was always my favorite, and I wasn't too bad at it either. But then I realized that drawing living souls was prohibited. I stopped, and began searching for something else. I found photography, which I love a million times more than I ever did sketching; I'm better at it too.

So basically, use this to your advantage, and don't give up on art altogether.
Whoever leaves something for the sake of Allah, Allah will replace it with something better. :)

What about emoticons and such? Are they allowed?

I don't know if I ever want to go back to art anyways. Drawing mountains is just so boring. What about school work? What if I have to draw a living being for school work?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Drawing faces or pictures of living beings is haram, but on forums and other places on the internet people draw emoticons using symbols, for example :D represents a smiling face if u look at it vertically. is this haram?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It seems – and Allaah knows best – that this face, whether it is smiling or sad, does not come under the same ruling as images that it is forbidden to make, draw, or use, for two reasons:
1 – It contains none of the features of a real face, such as eyes, mouth and nose, and it has no head or ears.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The image is the head; if the head is cut off, there is no image.” Narrated by al-Ismaa’eeli in his Mu’jam from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah no. 1921 and in Saheeh al-Jaami’ no. 3864.
2 – The majority of fuqaha’ are of the view that if something is cut off from an image without which it could no longer live, then it is not a haraam image. For a detailed discussion of this issue and the views of other madhhabs, see Ahkaam al-Tasweer fi’l-Fiqh al-Islami, pp. 224-240.
source

Dude, if you think art is either drawing people and animals, or mountains, then you have much to learn about art.

Like I said, research some art history. Off the top of my head, Van Gogh, Salvador Dali, M.C. Escher, Karl Appel.. the list goes on. All these great artists managed to become legends with only the rare picture of a living being. Part of art is exploring new things, discovering yourself; if you can't manage that, then you're not gaining full advantage of what it is to make art.

Asif Intesar
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
source

Dude, if you think art is either drawing people and animals, or mountains, then you have much to learn about art.

Like I said, research some art history. Off the top of my head, Van Gogh, Salvador Dali, M.C. Escher, Karl Appel.. the list goes on. All these great artists managed to become legends with only the rare picture of a living being. Part of art is exploring new things, discovering yourself; if you can't manage that, then you're not gaining full advantage of what it is to make art.
I have a question. What about drawing robots such as Gundam? Is it haram to draw them, because these robots have a head, but it's not human. It doesn't have a soul, and it's robotic. Even though it has glass eyes or something. I'm confused about that.

Am I also allowed to draw monsters? Like say for example a monster that I made up? It's not real right? It's just made up from my mind. Is it still haram?

crayon
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
That's something I've always wondered, and I don't know the answer to it either. For some reason, I always picture a tomato with a face. A tomato is not a living thing, so would it be all right to give it a face?

InshaAllah someone else will know.. perhaps you could ask a scholar this specific question, brother?

Asif Intesar
06-03-2009, 10:04 PM
That's something I've always wondered, and I don't know the answer to it either. For some reason, I always picture a tomato with a face. A tomato is not a living thing, so would it be all right to give it a face?

InshaAllah someone else will know.. perhaps you could ask a scholar this specific question, brother?
Well I was just wonder, because you do have a signature with crayons with happy faces lol

I geuss I'll try to deal with it. It's the only choice I have. Thanks brother.

crayon
06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
^Lol, true, forgot about that.

InshaAllah things work out, brother. :)

Oh, and I'm a sister.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
there are many many talented artists within my family

they draw/paint and construct such dynamic and inspired things...

none of which goes against the teachings of islaam :)

Alhamdulillaah you have the gift... dont use it to go against the one who GAVE YOU THE GIFT! USE IT TO PLEASE HIM :D!

dont be upset, the gift hasnt been taken away, you've only been saved from abusing it via this knowledge

you should be ECSTATIC!!!

Asif Intesar
06-04-2009, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
there are many many talented artists within my family

they draw/paint and construct such dynamic and inspired things...

none of which goes against the teachings of islaam :)

Alhamdulillaah you have the gift... dont use it to go against the one who GAVE YOU THE GIFT! USE IT TO PLEASE HIM :D!

dont be upset, the gift hasnt been taken away, you've only been saved from abusing it via this knowledge

you should be ECSTATIC!!!
Thanks brother. Your words have helped me. It's just that if I draw a scenery, I may have the urge to draw some sort of creature in it lol. I geuss I'll have to try to control my urges. But I'm not lying when I say that, art isn't going to be the same for me anymore.

But Alhamdulillaah I have this gift. You are right.

Yanal
06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
:sl:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Is it permissible for children to draw pictures of animate beings?
Is it permissible for children to draw animals or living beings?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is not permissible to draw and make images of animate beings, whether they are engraved, on paper, on cloth or anything else, because of the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (2105) and Muslim (2107) from ‘Aa’ishah the Mother of the Believers (may Allaah be pleased with her), that she bought a cushion on which there were images. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw it, he stood at the door and did not enter. She said: I recognized displeasure in his face. I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I repent to Allaah and His Messenger, what have I done wrong? The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What is this pillow?” She said: I bought it for you to sit on and recline on. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The makers of these images will be punished and it will be said to them, ‘Bring to life that which you have created.’” Then he said: “The house in which there are images is not entered by the angels.”

And Muslim (2110) narrated that Sa’eed ibn Abi’l-Hasan said: A man came to Ibn ‘Abbaas and said: I am a man who makes these images; advise me about that. He said to him: Come close to me. So he came closer to him. He said: Come closer to me. So he came closer to him, until he put his hand on his head and said: I will tell you what I heard from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Every image maker will be in Hell, and for every image that he made, a soul will be created which will punish him in Hell.” He said: If you must do that, then make (images of) trees and inanimate things.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim: Our companions and other scholars said: Making images of animals is emphatically haraam and is a major sin, because this stern warning which is mentioned in the ahaadeeth is issued concerning it. That applies whether he makes it to be used in ways that are not respectful or otherwise. Making it is haraam in all cases, because it is competing with the creation of Allaah. That applies whether the image is in a garment or a carpet or a dirham or a dinar or a penny or a vessel or a wall or anything else. As for making images of trees, camel saddles and other things in which there are no images of animals, that is not haraam. End quote.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (1/479): What makes images forbidden is the fact that they are images of animate beings, whether they are sculptures, or drawings on walls or fabric or paper, or they are woven, and whether they are done with a quill, a pen, or a machine, and whether they represent something real or something imaginary, whether they are small or large, beautified or distorted, or drawn in the form of lines representing a skeleton. What makes them forbidden is that fact that they depict animate beings, even if they are imaginary like pictures of ancient people, Pharaohs, or leaders and soldiers of the Crusades, or like the pictures of ‘Eesa (Jesus) and Maryam (Mary) that are kept in churches, etc., because of the general meaning of the texts, and because that is competing with the creation of Allaah, and because it is a means that leads to shirk. End quote.

Secondly:

Even if the child is not yet accountable, his guardian should prevent him from doing haraam things and discourage him from doing them, so as denounce evil and to train the child and make him get used to what is good.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allaah, but do that which they are commanded”

[al-Tahreem 66:6]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Each of you is a shepherd and each of you is responsible for his flock. The ruler of the people is a shepherd and is responsible for his flock. A man is the shepherd of his household and is responsible for his flock. A woman is the shepherd of her husband’s house and children and is responsible for her flock.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (893) and Muslim (1829).

The child’s guardian should raise him to keep away from making images and drawing animate beings, and he should explain to him that this is haraam.

He should look for permissible alternatives that are available, praise be to Allaah, such as drawing vegetables, fruits, trees and oceans, and any inanimate objects.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Source(s):
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/102277

The Ruler
06-04-2009, 01:09 AM
You could always give stickmen a try. They always turn out beautiful. But, of course, nothing close to the bishounen in Gundam.

czgibson
06-04-2009, 01:14 AM

Like I said, research some art history. Off the top of my head, Van Gogh, Salvador Dali, M.C. Escher, Karl Appel.. the list goes on. All these great artists managed to become legends with only the rare picture of a living being.
All of those depicted living beings frequently. :?

Peace

crayon
06-04-2009, 06:57 AM
^I meant that it wasn't their only thing, should have phrased it better. Like renaissance painters, for example, pretty much all they painted was people. Those artists have many many paintings that do not contain living beings, even if yes, some of their work does have them.

anonymous
06-04-2009, 08:13 AM
:salamext:

Brother, go to your local masjid and ask the imam inshaAllaah....we are all layman here, it is better to ask a scholar inshaAllaah, rather than asking people who have no qualification in this field or who are not sure - its like asking an ordinary person - why am I getting dizzy? They might say because you havent had enough sleep, but it might actually be because you might have a dizziness problem...get me?

Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullaah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.