/* */

PDA

View Full Version : uniform at work

muslimah 4 life
06-04-2009, 09:01 PM
:sl:

Im just wondering if any sisters work in a hospital and have problems
with hijaab and uniform.
I was working at a hospital before and was able to cover my arms, now I want to go back to work and have beeen offered a great job but only
problem is they say you have to be bear below elbow and this rule is for everyone. I would be in outpatients and not really have major contact with patients but anyway!
My family think by refusing the job I am making a fuss and its not a big issue.
I personally think it is, Allah swt has ordered me to cover my awrah so I shouldn't compromise at any cost.
I have decided to refuse the job and believe Inshallah Allah will reward me with something better.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Forced_In
06-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Salaam,

Alhamdo lellah.

glo
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
If you can still cover your elbows, wouldn't that be okay? I thought it was acceptable to bare your arms below the elbows ...

wildkat
06-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Assalam,
I'm a student nurse and absolutely hate my uniform! Horrible material aside the sleeves are quite short and so what I do is wear a long sleeved t-shirt underneath and roll up the sleeves when I'm working and then roll them down again. Not the most practical, but I havent had any problems with staff about it so far.. then again I've only worked in nursing homes and not an actual ward.
I start on a ward on monday.. I'll let you know what they say to me.
And no, I dont think you're making a fuss, its totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-04-2009, 09:52 PM
^
That sounds like a good way of dealing with it. :)

wildkat
06-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it if I'm not allowed to do that at the hospital yet... they're bound to be stricter about infection control and all that.
I suppose it isnt that big a deal for me anyway since I'm only going to be on childrens wards

muslimah 4 life
06-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Its all this infection control but thing is I won't have direct contact with the patients, Im only going to be at the recepton desk mainly and then take bps or temps for the doctors if they want me to.

I really wanted this jobimsad but I know I will be disobeying Allah by uncovering if I go for it. I have asked them if I could wear something underneath but they said no.

ragdollcat1982
06-05-2009, 03:42 AM
In the USA they would have to accomadate you reasonably for religion or disabilties unless it would interfer directly with the job. If you are going to be a receptionist I dont understand what they big deal is. They can mandate that your hijab and arm covers match the uniform. If they are so openly hostile about not wanting to reasonably accomadate religious beliefs I would not want to work there.

muslimah 4 life
06-05-2009, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
In the USA they would have to accomadate you reasonably for religion or disabilties unless it would interfer directly with the job. If you are going to be a receptionist I dont understand what they big deal is. They can mandate that your hijab and arm covers match the uniform. If they are so openly hostile about not wanting to reasonably accomadate religious beliefs I would not want to work there.
I would actually be a nursing assistant but admin work would be involved.
They say its all to do with infection control and even the doctors have to
wear short sleeves.
I think thats making life difficult for people who are practising muslims and have qualified in medical professions.

ragdollcat1982
06-05-2009, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah 4 life
I would actually be a nursing assistant but admin work would be involved.
They say its all to do with infection control and even the doctors have to
wear short sleeves.
I think thats making life difficult for people who are practising muslims and have qualified in medical professions.

I could understand if you were suturing wounds or performing surgery, but just taking blood pressure and temps I dont understand at all. In the US they would accomadate you reasonably. I have read that in some places some niqabis in the medical profession have had problems, but I would think in that case that wearing a surgical mask at all times could be a win/win.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.