/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Oops...!

Blackpool
06-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I work with a few muslims and there seems to be a bit of discrimination going on at my workplace. There is one muslim guy with a beard that works with us and seems very devoted to Islam. Since the first day I started at this place I was told that he was a sympathiser of terrorism and that he couldn't stand any of us and by a fair few people, so it was a strong rumour going around. From that day I hated his guts and attempted to piss him off on a regular basis. Only 2 days ago he decided to strike a conversation with me and went on about my favourite football team which moved to cricket.

It turned out that his 2nd favourite team, after his home country, is ENGLAND. My mouth dropped. Poor guy! :-\

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tony
06-06-2009, 11:59 PM
May Allah give strength and patience to the rightious brother and make his way easy.Ameen

Blackpool
06-07-2009, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
May Allah give strength and patience to the rightious brother and make his way easy.Ameen
He's definately committed. Lazy but a devoted muslim.

Salahudeen
06-07-2009, 12:06 AM
that's sad I feel for my brother :(, fa tuba le ghurabaa glad tidings to the stranger

I bet in your work place all the asians hang out together and all the white people hang out together and both don't cross into the others group.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Blackpool
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
that's sad I feel for my brother :(, fa tuba le ghurabaa glad tidings to the stranger

I bet in your work place all the asians hang out together and all the white people hang out together and both don't cross into the others group.
Not necessarily. Whites are mingling with the Asians at work, the whites and Asians are playing about with each other and having a laugh. Heck, an Asian woman has offered to bring me a curry that she made from home.

Of course there are 2-3 RACIST people that don't like anyone of different colour/background. But there's just this one guy with a beard that everyone seems to be targeting. No offence to him but he is quite identical to Osama Bin Laden. He's also lazy which pisses his co-workers off. But it turns out for me that after a year and a half the rumours and the way I perceived him to be is quite the opposite.

Strzelecki
06-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Blackpool.
Wow it's great to notice you're not one for going alone with the crowd. :) May Allah (swt) open your heart ot the truth. Ameen.
Insha'Allah maybe you can be there for him, and show people that he's not a bad guy and they should judge him personally, and not based on some retarded status quo.

:)

Insha'Allah things will get better for the Muslims facing prejudice.

S_87
06-07-2009, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
He's definately committed. Lazy but a devoted muslim.
the problem is a lot of people think that a practising muslim (man with beard, woman with veil) equals a sympathiser of terrorism imsad

Banu_Hashim
06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
So I guess from this scenario you've learnt not to generalise people? Generally Muslims are the nicest people you can meet. Slight shame about his work ethic though.

Blackpool
06-07-2009, 12:01 PM
It's definately an image thing that people pick him up on I think.
If people told you that someone in your workplace supported the killings of innocent muslims and had hatred for you I'm sure you would all hate the guy also. It's believable when you get a handful telling you the same story.

I now greet him everytime I see him. He did have some white folks that spoke to him but there are many that have a lack of respect for him. It's a shame.

Banu_Hashim
06-07-2009, 12:07 PM
It's definately an image thing that people pick him up on I think.
If people told you that someone in your workplace supported the killings of innocent muslims and had hatred for you I'm sure you would all hate the guy also. It's believable when you get a handful telling you the same story.

I now greet him everytime I see him. He did have some white folks that spoke to him but there are many that have a lack of respect for him. It's a shame.
Yeah I get your point, but living in the UK you should know the bad press Muslims get all the time, and it's bound to enter the work place. What was their evidence for these rumours anyways? I'm guessing none, except the the same rumour past on from the last person?

It's good to hear that you've become bigger than the prejudice of your colleagues.

Blackpool
06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Yeah I get your point, but living in the UK you should know the bad press Muslims get all the time, and it's bound to enter the work place. What was their evidence for these rumours anyways? I'm guessing none, except the the same rumour past on from the last person?

It's good to hear that you've become bigger than the prejudice of your colleagues.
I'm unsure on what part of the press is true or false as I don't have a greater understanding of muslims or Islam. But this workplace seems to be a learning curve :D Not too long ago I was led to believe that muslims hated everything and everyone in this country and was given the indication that Islam = Terrorism as a means to force those to convert.

Yeah, anyway, I just felt like share this thread as I was a little shocked and sympathetic towards the guy :skeleton:

Muezzin
06-07-2009, 01:10 PM
The main thing is you talked to the guy despite (maybe because of) what others said and made up your own mind. That's pretty rare.

Tony
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm unsure on what part of the press is true or false as I don't have a greater understanding of muslims or Islam. But this workplace seems to be a learning curve :D Not too long ago I was led to believe that muslims hated everything and everyone in this country and was given the indication that Islam = Terrorism as a means to force those to convert.

Yeah, anyway, I just felt like share this thread as I was a little shocked and sympathetic towards the guy :skeleton:

You came to the right place my friend. I hope you learn some things here. Mainly that Islam is to believe that Allah is the only God and has no partners (eg, Jesus(pbuh) was a prophet not a God, Muhammad(pbuh) was Gods messenger, and that it is a system that promotes peace and strives to ensure that all people are free from oppression and starvation. To be a Muslim is to surrender your will to conform to Allahs "rules" set out in the Qur'an and by the Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him). I can really connect with ur op as I am 40, white and male, I have to admit that I have treated a muslim bad in the workplace, and have felt guilty ever since. Now that I am Muslim tho, I can see how it was only harming me, and that I was adding to the Brothers emaan (righteousness). I think a few of us have been watching ur posts to see where you might be going with them, :D, you seem cool to me. Anything you want to know you can ask here, we all want to promote the true msg of Islam and with people like you who actively seek the answers its made easy for us. So relax and learn what you can bud. Peace

aadil77
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Well you live in blackpool, so how common is it to see a bearded muslim over there?
Here in leicester theres loads and you'd don't here about any extremist stuff happenin here as well so I think the white guys are not really bothered by it. I have a small beard and at work no one says anythin unless its a one off joke but even that is hardly ever, you get tolerent people and you get racist people even managers but anythin said is usually as a joke to have a laugh at and not to offend

Blackpool
06-07-2009, 04:51 PM

You came to the right place my friend. I hope you learn some things here. Mainly that Islam is to believe that Allah is the only God and has no partners (eg, Jesus(pbuh) was a prophet not a God, Muhammad(pbuh) was Gods messenger, and that it is a system that promotes peace and strives to ensure that all people are free from oppression and starvation. To be a Muslim is to surrender your will to conform to Allahs "rules" set out in the Qur'an and by the Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him). I can really connect with ur op as I am 40, white and male, I have to admit that I have treated a muslim bad in the workplace, and have felt guilty ever since. Now that I am Muslim tho, I can see how it was only harming me, and that I was adding to the Brothers emaan (righteousness). I think a few of us have been watching ur posts to see where you might be going with them, :D, you seem cool to me. Anything you want to know you can ask here, we all want to promote the true msg of Islam and with people like you who actively seek the answers its made easy for us. So relax and learn what you can bud. Peace
I will do and thanks :) I'm curious as to why you converted. What is it that took you to Islam? I have my own beliefs so I'm not looking to convert at all. I'm just interested. I've read through this forum and after the past 2-3 days prior to signing up here I already have a different perception to the one I had before that.

If only muslims could publicly denounce terrorism/hatred to spread the message to those out there that link Islam to terrorism. Believe me, there are alot of people that use this link and not many of them have the time to sign up to a forum to find out themselves.

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Well you live in blackpool, so how common is it to see a bearded muslim over there?
Here in leicester theres loads and you'd don't here about any extremist stuff happenin here as well so I think the white guys are not really bothered by it. I have a small beard and at work no one says anythin unless its a one off joke but even that is hardly ever, you get tolerent people and you get racist people even managers but anythin said is usually as a joke to have a laugh at and not to offend
Like I said before, I live in a town near Blackpool where there are NO muslims. I work just 5 minutes away. But the thing is, most of the people that work here are from Preston where there are a fair few muslims but it's segrated if you get me. Asians hang with asians and whites hang with whites there. There is no interaction.

aadil77
06-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Like I said before, I live in a town near Blackpool where there are NO muslims. I work just 5 minutes away. But the thing is, most of the people that work here are from Preston where there are a fair few muslims but it's segrated if you get me. Asians hang with asians and whites hang with whites there. There is no interaction.
Yh thats understandable, happens everywhere. But at work you have to work with each other and thats when you learn about others if you haven't already got white/asian mates or know any

Tony
06-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I will do and thanks I'm curious as to why you converted. What is it that took you to Islam? I have my own beliefs so I'm not looking to convert at all. I'm just interested. I've read through this forum and after the past 2-3 days prior to signing up here I already have a different perception to the one I had before that.

If only muslims could publicly denounce terrorism/hatred to spread the message to those out there that link Islam to terrorism. Believe me, there are alot of people that use this link and not many of them have the time to sign up to a forum to find out themselves.

I married a Turkish woman and then looked into Islam, it made perfect logical sense to me that blind evolution was impossible, when I found out about the reasoning behind there being only one God it just fell into place. After this I did my best, and still do, to learn about Islam. The more I read the Qur'an, the more proof I see, espescially scientific points that are only now being proven. You can imagine how in a place like Bradford it was not an easy desiscion but I couldnt deny what I see as the truth. The thing about publicly denouncing terrorism and those who commit these acts is that it is a huge sin for a muslimto say that another is not a muslim, also although the acts themselves are often sickening they arise from years and years of opression against muslims, for instance in Gaza for years there has been a seige situation whereby even mothers about to give birth were not allowed into the hospitals, therefore peoples children have been unnescessarily dying. This does not get reported and the end result is what the west see as terrorism and the muslims often see as freedom fighting. This is only one example, far worse things happen, and have happened throughout history including mass killings of women and childrewn. Something has to give, I dont for one minute agree with the London bombings for instance, but the reasoning behind the attacks are there for scrutinisation. There are many muslims who die on the battle field also. Hope it goes someway to explaining things. I think there is room for more tolerance on all sides and I for one am eager to bridge the gap. Peace Blackpool

aadil77
06-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Yh this forum serves as that purpose, it might not be that public but whatever you learn from here you can pass it on to others, theres quite a few brits here either white muslims or white but of different faith. But yh the key thing is clearing up misconceptions with friends or people you think might have these impressions. But believe me theres plenty of people who look into islam themselves, Usually because they want to think outside the box and not just give in to the image formed by the media

S_87
06-07-2009, 06:33 PM
see thats the problem, would you believe it if i said a lot of muslims do denounce terrorism and do say those stuff but then, it doesnt make exciting news...pictures of people holding up placards with funny signs makes better news. and so the media show that. did you know when the cartoon issue came out there was a masssssive march in london with over 20 000 muslims...it was a peaceful march. not really covered in the media. though thee 200 people who had their own march promising suicide bombs, THAT made the news..its interesting and exciting,.

i personally dont see why i as a muslim have to keep condemning what other people are doing, im not to blame its not me whos doing it...also i do not necessarily think who you may consider a terrorist to be one. i do not consider those muslims who are fighting in iraq and afghanistan to be terrorists. However i think the 7/7 attacks to be terrorism.

Tony
06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Yes amani is right and making agood point, its like saying all men are potential rapists and all scousers are thieves. Its not true but people know its not true, so therefore the same goes with muslims, of course its not right bto bomb innocents or behead innocents, but its a tiny fraction, muslims are not accountable for theiractions. peace

جوري
06-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Actually if I were working in some place and someone told me this person is this and that, I would take it at face value.. people often speak from their perspective.. and people often enjoy backbiting because they have small minds...
as the adage goes:
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss other people!

I remember when I was doing my Ob/Gyn rota, everyone was speaking really poorly of this one attending, and told me to steer clear of her path, well I treated her as I'd any other, until it became apparent to me her nature (even if they were correct) I had to go about making my own mind, plus I didn't speak of her to anyone else when they asked as to not have them go in with preconceived prejudices...

I think a general rule is, treat others as you'd have them treat you..

all the best

noorseeker
06-07-2009, 07:26 PM
We havent got access to the main stream media to denounce terrorism,

glo
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
We havent got access to the main stream media to denounce terrorism,
Here is a good place to start. :)

Tony
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Salam Blackpool, how did you and your new muslim buddy get on at work today ? and hows your sister, hopefully she is getting over the shock now. peace

Blackpool
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Salam Blackpool, how did you and your new muslim buddy get on at work today ? and hows your sister, hopefully she is getting over the shock now. peace
He works in a different department so I don't too much of an opportunity. I let onto him at breaks but that's about it. He seems cool.
My sister's fine. The lad threatened to "smash every bone in her face if the police go to his house" which they are doing later this week. She's going to take them to court. This holiday hasn't come at a better time! Hopefully things will come down by the time she gets back.
If he does anything of the sort I'm going to travel to the East Midlands and hurt him pretty bad, if he's lucky to be alive at the end of it. It's a promise, God strike me down with cancer, I mean it. I would kill to protect my family.

Rebel
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
If he does anything of the sort I'm going to travel to the East Midlands and hurt him pretty bad, if he's lucky to be alive at the end of it. It's a promise, God strike me down with cancer, I mean it. I would kill to protect my family.
You won't exactly be doing your family a favour if you chose to take that route... you'd just put them through more pain n suffering.

I totally understand why you'd want to do that, but you gotta be rational.

Glad your sister's better.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.