/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music, haram?

gada1991
06-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Asalamu alaikum everybody

I just wanted to ask this question that I have been working hard to find answers to.

Is it really haram to listen to music?
Some says it is and some other people say it depends on ones intention?

I want to know if all music is haram or can we listen to some kind and other not?

There are nasheeds with musical instruments. Are these also haram?

And if music is haram what references tell that?

Thanks for helping

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
06-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Wa'Alaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Welcome to the forums :).

Is it really haram to listen to music?
Some says it is and some other people say it depends on ones intention?
Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

There are nasheeds with musical instruments. Are these also haram?
Yes.

Please see;

As there are many threads on this subject, thread closed.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.