/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A strange phenomenon

جوري
06-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I was on this mostly Arabic forum (trying still to get a translation) to some antiquated Arabic poem, when I chanced upon a few unusual threads, I must confess, I am rather glad to be a part of this Muslim community, since the preoccupation of the people on this other board seem so minute by comparison...

I just need to run this random anonymous poll, and pls don't describe or tell me anything about your person.. but I need to genuinely know your general idea of a beautiful person.. everyone can participate on this thread from all religions and all walks of life.. to make a comment, I was rather appalled to say the least that a sister on that forum in order to assert a point about how lovely her people are posted a picture of her son (who has green eyes) and made a comment about how her people don't have dark skin like they are often portrayed..

well I personally thought that is the least of her problems in such a case, but I think from my travels, I find a certain preoccupation with whitness and skin color.. maybe it hasn't affected me personally, since I grew up outside and many of my family members have major recessive traits almost bordering upon albinism themselves, but I never really viewed this as an asset, the many times I thought of purchasing a tanning bed and spent money on self tanning creams probably holds as an abomination in some of those regions... I guess maybe on some level I too have a particular concept of beauty but I like to believe it more than skin deep..

I wonder how we can cause a shift in gears so that the priorities of some of these people focuses on far more pressing issues, like their general condition, health, education and the despots that are governing them rather than whether their skin color makes them more nubile and desirable...

I was rather, sad and upset by the whole affair, I doubt that I'll last long on that forum, to begin with I simply wanted a transltion, but there is such a disparity of the thought process itself, after I made a very diplomatic comment which I am not sure how it will be received, I am sure to be banned in the very near future...

nonetheless.. I am making a small poll but you are certainly free to simply leave your comment without resorting to it..

Thank you in advance

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
06-07-2009, 08:12 PM
p.s this is a multiple choice poll

~Taalibah~
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
:sl:

I voted for the second last. But to add, i think there has to be at least a certain amount of outwardly appeal as well.

crayon
06-07-2009, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
A combination of:

Someone who is phyically attractive regardless of color
Someone who is pious and God fearing
Beauty comes from the multiple layers of their personality which exudes them
That's what I voted too.

Lol, it amuses me when people say "colored eyes", it's like 'what? when did brown stop being a color?'

Where I come from, and many other arab countries, the "beautiful" person is very white, has blue or green eyes, blond hair, tall, and thin. Now they could have the worst features ever, but if they fit that "color scheme", then they are considered beautiful. Ahh the rants my friends and I have about these societal ideals.

Beauty. Ahh beauty. Such a lovely thing to think about.
Of course, beauty is subjective. To me, it's the combination of everything that makes a person. It is physical attractiveness, an incredible personality, beautiful manners all blended in a harmonious mixture.

I may find gorgeous person ugly due to their lack of manners, or their dull or nasty personality. No matter how good they look, no one wants to spend time with a person with a lower IQ than a rock. A plain jane might be transformed into a lustrous charming person because of her great personality.

As for physical beauty, I don't think anyone can have a specific "ideal". I may say I like people with brown hair, but find someone with black hair good looking. It's impossible to pin point a certain set of features and say that that makes a beautiful person. Of course, people have preferences, so one may notice that the majority of people they find beautiful have a certain feature, but it's not the be all and end all of everything.

To say that "so and so" is beautiful is impossible, because beauty can only be judged individually, it depends on each specific person. And even then, what one person percieves as beautiful, might not be percieved that way by someone else.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
06-07-2009, 08:28 PM
A combination of:

Someone who is physically attractive regardless of color
ditto!

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon

Lol, it amuses me when people say "colored eyes", it's like 'what? when did brown stop being a color?'
I was thinking the exact same thing.

crayon
06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

rather than whether their skin color makes them more nubile and desirable...
I'd never heard that word before. It sounds so amusing. I googled its meaning, and its meaning is even more amusing, lol! ;D
Thank you for teaching me something new!

جوري
06-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd never heard that word before. It sounds so amusing. I googled its meaning, and its meaning is even more amusing, lol! ;D
Thank you for teaching me something new!
lol.. thank you and thank you for your comment it was really worth reading, but I think I know why you wrote that comment on a more personal level..
You have nothing to prove to anyone and they do, and I am not sure where that NEED comes from, and it really is a need.. almost like what they have isn't enough.. there is always this vacillation between discontent and show offiness .. and it is very off putting to me personally...

I really believe with some of them that the color scheme you speak of is indeed more important than someone who is perceived as attractive all together... in other words if you put a brad pit vs keanu reeves, pit would be chosen simply for his recessive traits...

and then what they say and write wouldn't matter either because they can't get past their enchantment with their achromatic hues lol...

It is really very sad when you think about it, since I think that translates to other aspects of their lives and not simply stop at the superficial.. they genuinely deeply believe that whiteness equals more superior.. I wonder if this has to do with being occupied by the brits?

there was an experiment once carried out between two groups of children where they divided the blue eyed vs the brown eyed, doted on one group, and the other group really did believe that they were inferior.. I have to find the name of that experiment since I came across it in undergrad..

the problem now, is how to fix this on a massive scale?

Sister_Zee
06-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Salaam,

Well as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you are a good person and God fearing regardless of your color I think that it will reflect on your face and give you a sense of serenity that people will be attracted to. At the same time humans like beauty in the physical sense so if you have a person who is physically pretty and God fearing while the other less physically pretty and also God fearing most people who choose the first as the most beautiful.

crayon
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
lol.. thank you and thank you for your comment it was really worth reading, but I think I know why you wrote that comment on a more personal level..
You have nothing to prove to anyone and they do, and I am not sure where that NEED comes from, and it really is a need.. almost like what they have isn't enough.. there is always this vacillation between discontent and show offiness .. and it is very off putting to me personally...

I really believe with some of them that the color scheme you speak of is indeed more important than someone who is perceived as attractive all together... in other words if you put a brad pit vs keanu reeves, pit would be chosen simply for his recessive traits...

and then what they say and write wouldn't matter either because they can't get past their enchantment with their achromatic hues lol...

It is really very sad when you think about it, since I think that translates to other aspects of their lives and not simply stop at the superficial.. they genuinely deeply believe that whiteness equals more superior.. I wonder if this has to do with being occupied by the brits?

there was an experiment once carried out between two groups of children where they divided the blue eyed vs the brown eyed, doted on one group, and the other group really did believe that they were inferior.. I have to find the name of that experiment since I came across it in undergrad..

the problem now, is how to fix this on a massive scale?

Wa alaikum asalam

It's a need to be approved as "acceptable" by society. Soceity paints the ideal woman as X, so most women will try their best to be X. Ideal man as Y, they'll try to be Y. If they are anything other than X or Y they will do everything they can to change, and if they can't change, they hate themselves, have low self esteem and no self worth.

Lol, true about brad pitt vs. keanu reeves, that's exactly it... Hell, you could probably ask them to choose between john heder and keanu and they'd say john heder! Because he's blond and has blue eyes!:skeleton:

I've heard of that experiment, yeah, very interesting.

How to fix it? Now that is the question.
Get people to understand what beauty really is, and that it's not a one size fits all kind of thing.. How to do that? No clue.

جوري
06-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Get people to understand what beauty really is, and that it's not a one size fits all kind of thing.. How to do that? No clue.

Rofl, neither do I, but we have to, we recognize a problem, the next logical thing is to search for a solution.. I feel really compelled to do something but not sure how to do it..
also so long as they are fixated on such trivialities, they'll never recover to salvage the big picture, I just want to get a pail of cold water and toss it on all their heads collectively to wake up..

sob7an Allah.. isn't it sad how westerners perceive us, but the real misfortune is how we perceive ourselves ...imsad

Tony
06-07-2009, 09:18 PM
kind, genuine and no makeup, red hair, freckles and confident. Trustworthy:D

جوري
06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
^^ lol is your wife standing in the back of you with a knife and an 'aha it better be'?

Zafran
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
A combination of:

salaam

same combination

peace

Tony
06-07-2009, 09:37 PM
^^ lol is your wife standing in the back of you with a knife and an 'aha it better be'?

you found me out, and yes I have got a bald spot from being under the thumb :D

The Ruler
06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
... And someone with power. *Thinks Kaname, hmmh*

Yanal
06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
:salamext:
Same as Alpha Sr.

S_87
06-07-2009, 10:27 PM
ditto...colour to me doesnt matter...i know a lot of people in my culture see white= handsome..but to me its not the skin colour only (im talking just on looks) and black- omg black :O or 'kaaroh/kaaree' and ive seen some people who have been deemed handsome only because of their colour but to me other than the 'whiteness':blind:

and of course the person can be the best looking but if their character sucks then in the end thats what really matters.

aamirsaab
06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
For me it would first have to be compatible sense of humour, because I do and say a lot of strange yet (sometimes) hilarious things; if you have that sense of humour already, we're good to roll (note: this is usually how I determine who's my friend or not, so if you possess these qualities, that is 10 brownie points already). Attractiveness to an extent but I'm not after jaw-dropping bombshells - medium build (that's another 10 brownie points). Piety also to an extent, but again not after some uber hafiz (not that that is a bad thing of course!)

It's weird, in some ways I'd want her to be my best friend (have a laugh, go out and watch transformers, play vs me on SF games) and in many others, I'd want her to replicate my mum (loving, caring, extremely accurate with her slipper-throwing techniques).

You know what, it is far too late for me to be talking about this. I'm going to bed.

GreyKode
06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
extremely accurate with her slipper-throwing techniques).
l o l

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-07-2009, 10:57 PM

Quite an interesting thread. I have to agree with wise man, Alpha Dude (there's a reason he's Alpha) :P

Someone who is physically attractive regardless of color
Just to add some more food for thought, in addition to the above, would there be something wrong with having a preference towards feature x or y? I mean, for example if a man does like something, such as green eyes or brown eyes for example, and would prefer it because he's attracted to it, is there something wrong in this? Assuming he will choose a wife based on proper criteria, what is the problem with liking certain things?

I think that's a mountain of a task when there's a massive ad campaign out there portraying a certain type of beauty as the ideal perfection.

Yanal
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Bro Abd Al Rahmaan I think you forgot to put Alphas,cos I am one too:><:

جوري
06-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Who was it that voted for the first option. C'mon, be brave enough to show yourself. :skeleton:

rofl so true and I was thinking the same-- sadly though, not a single vote for tall dark and handsome after all..

muwahahahahahha lol

جوري
06-07-2009, 11:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Rahman

Quite an interesting thread. I have to agree with wise man, Alpha Dude (there's a reason he's Alpha) :P

Just to add some more food for thought, in addition to the above, would there be something wrong with having a preference towards feature x or y? I mean, for example if a man does like something, such as green eyes or brown eyes for example, and would prefer it because he's attracted to it, is there something wrong in this? Assuming he will choose a wife based on proper criteria, what is the problem with liking certain things?
:sl:.. nothing at all wrong with a preference, I think that usually when you are with your mate, you'll find that the preference really takes a back seat or plays and ancillary role.. what I am commenting on isn't a preference, it is almost a sickness that is accompanying a deeply disturbed rooted psychology that says, this one thing is better and it is on a mass level that folks end up dying their hair purchasing colored contacts and bleaching their skin for a look that just won't happen for them since even their facial structure and features are designed differently. So rather than embracing their own specialiness they'd rathr opt for something they will never be..
Beauty, is beauty, you can't argue against whether it is tyra banks or Caroline Trentini are beautiful and hold the same job maybe the former even making a better salary, I am simply arguing against choosing the latter because she is white and then narrowing the margin of our definition of beautiful.

I think that's a mountain of a task when there's a massive ad campaign out there portraying a certain type of beauty as the ideal perfection.
Yes, but I don't notice this problem in other countries as I do in the middle east especially, I don't know that they are the same in China and Japan and Malayisa .. do you-- there must be something there, in their upbringing that is brain washing them with a certain image of beauty.. It is amazing to me that most of the commercials they run in Egypt, they choose gyrating Russian models, if you eat this cheese and wash with this soap, you'll look like this and be happy :lol:

anyhow, I shouldn't be so riled up, I think in order for me to keep my sanity to simply avoid forums where the members are so objectionable rather than try to change an idea they have.. May Allah swt have mercy on our collective souls..

Banu_Hashim
06-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Yep, chose the same options as most people.

Well, I guess there's nothing wrong with it. But personally, I don't see a significant point in it... Of course you find individuals attractive; which human being doesn't ? But to put out such a specific criteria such as blue eyes only, it sounds like your building your master race or something...:skeleton:

But like Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips once said, if you've found a wife whose pious, from a good family, wealthy and beautiful, then you've hit the jackpot! :D

aadil77
06-07-2009, 11:48 PM
:, this one thing is better and it is on a mass level that folks end up dying their hair purchasing colored contacts and bleaching their skin for a look that just won't happen for them since even their facial structure and features are designed differently. So rather than embracing their own specialiness they'd rathr opt for something they will never be..

Yh thats disgusting, happens loads in pakistani culture, soo many people trying to bleach their faces to become fairer, same sort of the thing there is whiter is seen as superior

loads of them use these creams and then end up with articificial paled out looking skin, theres one called 'fair and lovely' as if fairer makes you more lovely, just disgusting how they promote it. My auntie uses tubs of this crap

Banu_Hashim
06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Yh thats disgusting, happens loads in pakistani culture, soo many people trying to bleach their faces to become fairer, same sort of the thing there is whiter is seen as superior

loads of them use these creams and then end up with articificial paled out looking skin, theres one called 'fair and lovely' as if fairer makes you more lovely, just disgusting how they promote it. My auntie uses tubs of this crap
fair and lovely, lol. I saw this product advertised so much in India, last time I went. I really don't understand the mentality in south asian culture...

Imam
06-08-2009, 12:01 AM

Though Islam came to put an end to racism including the skin colors , which according to the Quran is just a sign of Allah besides the sign of languages

30:22 And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colours: verily in that are Signs for those who know.

still the awful attitude of some people towards the black-skinned people........... this ignorance is common all over the world ,even in the middle East....

I remember when I was a kid ,I had my best friend who was black-skinned,and the little girls of the neighbors mocked at him due to his skin color,and none mocked at me as I have light skin !!

but I was mean enough to get them stop it,and support my friend..:)

but you know though such silliness and mock sometimes, still there is no discrimination up there in work etc... for a matter of color...

we have hundreds of thousands of black Doctors,Engineers etc... and have all the respect for their knowledge and piousness....

you know what is the skin color which I noticed to be interesting for some people in Egypt?

It is neither the white nor the black !!

It is the colorless (which people call the red skin):-[

as the skin of the Russians,may be the British too? etc.... it is the face skin which you would be able to see the blood under :D...

I have a dear Russian friend and we used to joke about that,and he smiles every time I talk about his red color...and he joke in return and tell me that he has blood while me pale has no blood :D...

If we talk about physical beauty ..it is for me the face no matter the body nor the color...

but to be with a partner other things for sure,to be Religious moderately,open minded,patient,likes to reflect more than talk,Educated ...

peace

aadil77
06-08-2009, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
fair and lovely, lol. I saw this product advertised so much in India, last time I went. I really don't understand the mentality in south asian culture...
its sad they've become complexed with themselves seein how only fair women are advertised everwhere, but I keep thinkin to myself if only they'd practise islam and then see the beauty erupt on their faces, Allah could naturally give them noor on their faces from their good deeds

At mosque I saw a black african brother as black as you could get, but MashAllah the noor you could see on this mans face, you could tell instantly he was a pious man, this is what they should aim for not all this artifical crap

Banu_Hashim
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
its sad they've become complexed with themselves seein how only fair women are advertised everwhere, but I keep thinkin to myself if only they'd practise islam and then see the beauty erupt on their faces, Allah could naturally give them noor on their faces from their good deeds

At mosque I saw a black african brother as black as you could get, but MashAllah the noor you could see on this mans face, you could tell instantly he was a pious man, this is what they should aim for not all this artifical crap
Aye. That's the problem isn't it. That people aren't sticking to Islamic teachings and sticking instead to their silly cultural norms and expectations.

InshAllah, I make du'a that Allah cleanses our societies from such ignorance, and narrow mindedness.

"O mankind! Lo! We have created you from male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of Allah, is the best in conduct. Lo! Allah is Knower, Aware."

- Al-Qur'an Al Kareem 49:13.

جوري
06-08-2009, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam

Though Islam came to put an end to racism including the skin colors , which according to the Quran is just a sign of Allah besides the sign of languages

30:22 And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colours: verily in that are Signs for those who know.

still the awful attitude of some people towards the black-skinned people........... this ignorance is common all over the world ,even in the middle East....

I remember when I was a kid ,I had my best friend who was black-skinned,and the little girls of the neighbors mocked at him due to his skin color,and none mocked at me as I have light skin !!

but I was mean enough to get them stop it,and support my friend..:)

but you know though such silliness and mock sometimes, still there is no discrimination up there in work etc... for a matter of color...

we have hundreds of thousands of black Doctors,Engineers etc... and have all the respect for their knowledge and piousness....

you know what is the skin color which I noticed to be interesting for some people in Egypt?

It is neither the white nor the black !!

It is the colorless (which people call the red skin):-[

as the skin of the Russians,may be the British too? etc.... it is the face skin which you would be able to see the blood under :D...

I have a dear Russian friend and we used to joke about that,and he smiles every time I talk about his red color...and he joke in return and tell me that he has blood while me pale has no blood :D...

If we talk about physical beauty ..it is for me the face no matter the body nor the color...

but to be with a partner other things for sure,to be Religious moderately,open minded,patient,likes to reflect more than talk,Educated ...

peace

sob7an Allah, you know this is really sad..

I attended a wedding of a dear friend of mine from grade school which my mom couldn't attend due to my grandmother's passing.. it was really lovely..

when I came home she asked me how it went, and I told her they seemed really happy..

well two days later, my mom asked me, 'is noha's husband a black guy' and I asked her, who told you this?
and she goes umm so and so said, 'I don't know why such a pretty girl married that black guy, he isn't much to look at, I even thought him Sudanese, couldn't she find somebody better?' ..

can you imagine, astghfor Allah, can you imagine this even gets back to the couple?

I have honestly never attended a wedding where the couple were as genuinely happy as the two of them.. even during my sister's wedding I didn't see this level of happiness if at all..

I don't understand what ails people, especially these women, they make me sick, I can't even muster a smile when I see them, they all pretend one thing and are another, gossipy, hateful, mean and pretentious ..

people translate these prejudices and hatred to their offspring, al7mdlilah that not everyone is this ignorant, I know that my friend married for two yrs now is genuinely happy in her choice, and I couldn't be happier for her.. still this attitude, I don't know if it will change any time in my life time..imsad

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
:sl:.. nothing at all wrong with a preference, I think that usually when you are with your mate, you'll find that the preference really takes a back seat or plays and ancillary role.. what I am commenting on isn't a preference, it is almost a sickness that is accompanying a deeply disturbed rooted psychology that says, this one thing is better and it is on a mass level that folks end up dying their hair purchasing colored contacts and bleaching their skin for a look that just won't happen for them since even their facial structure and features are designed differently. So rather than embracing their own specialiness they'd rathr opt for something they will never be..
Beauty, is beauty, you can't argue against whether it is tyra banks or Caroline Trentini are beautiful and hold the same job maybe the former even making a better salary, I am simply arguing against choosing the latter because she is white and then narrowing the margin of our definition of beautiful.
I agree.
Yes, but I don't notice this problem in other countries as I do in the middle east especially, I don't know that they are the same in China and Japan and Malayisa .. do you-- there must be something there, in their upbringing that is brain washing them with a certain image of beauty.. It is amazing to me that most of the commercials they run in Egypt, they choose gyrating Russian models, if you eat this cheese and wash with this soap, you'll look like this and be happy :lol:

anyhow, I shouldn't be so riled up, I think in order for me to keep my sanity to simply avoid forums where the members are so objectionable rather than try to change an idea they have.. May Allah swt have mercy on our collective souls..
Ameen. I know what you mean. In the desi culture, generally, being darker is less beautiful than being whiter. Like, if you went there and watched the TV ads there, you'll see ads that are to the effect of a girl with slightly darker skin color is sad because no one wants to propose to her, and then she hears of this amazing face cream which "brightens complexion" so she uses it and becomes magically whiter and "fair-skinned", and then she starts getting all these wedding proposals and she's so happy - all wrapped up into a 30 second advertisement.

جوري
06-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I agree.
Ameen. I know what you mean. In the desi culture, generally, being darker is less beautiful than being whiter. Like, if you went there and watched the TV ads there, you'll see ads that are to the effect of a girl with slightly darker skin color is sad because no one wants to propose to her, and then she hears of this amazing face cream which "brightens complexion" so she uses it and becomes magically whiter and "fair-skinned", and then she starts getting all these wedding proposals and she's so happy - all wrapped up into a 30 second advertisement.
hahahahahahha.. I have seen that commercial in the old country..

it started with this 'beautiful' girl and her friend congratulating her on her wedding (while a 'handsome' dude awaits her in the adjacent room), then she in return hands her friend this cream (you know the secret to trapping yourself a man)
so wrong on multiple levels.. where do I begin :raging::raging::raging: ;D ;D ;D

I mean you can only have those two emotions, intense disgust and anger followed by a guffaw

Intisar
06-08-2009, 02:12 AM
:sl: The problem is with colonialism, though it happened a very long ago the effects are still present. Basically, being closer to looking like a white person is beautiful. Ie. porcelain (or light skin), nice hair, lighter eyes, straight nose, etc etc.

In the United States, during the times of slavery the more white you looked the better chance you had of being freed. Ie. if you had ''good hair'' then your master would most likely set you free. The effects have not worn away until like this day.

For me, beauty is not only skin deep, but beauty comes from what you exude on the exterior as well. There isn't just one look for beauty. You can be white and be beautiful and at the same token, being black and beautiful.

ghengis
06-08-2009, 03:13 AM
i honestly dont think humans can be beautiful, we smell, we digest food and all of the after effects, we burp... we malt hair and skin, our breaths stink. our nails get dirty...

beauty??? a trees beautiful cos it cant look itself in the mirror and form an opinion of itself, and others.

a human becomes beautiful when they become selfless also... acting sincerely, and not acting off their opinions of themselves...
beauty in action.... and beautiful attitudes are also possible.....

beauty is the wrong word to describe humans :)

i can tell u whats attractive in the human??? if u want...

syilla
06-08-2009, 03:26 AM
:salamext:

i just pray i'm not the kind of people or influenced with those who looks at unnecessary and pointless physical beauty/looks (e.g. status).

But sometimes we don't realise that we behave that way... :(

Banu_Hashim
06-08-2009, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ghengis
i honestly dont think humans can be beautiful, we smell, we digest food and all of the after effects, we burp... we malt hair and skin, our breaths stink. our nails get dirty...

beauty??? a trees beautiful cos it cant look itself in the mirror and form an opinion of itself, and others.

a human becomes beautiful when they become selfless also... acting sincerely, and not acting off their opinions of themselves...
beauty in action.... and beautiful attitudes are also possible.....

beauty is the wrong word to describe humans :)

i can tell u whats attractive in the human??? if u want...
^ Agreed. What's beautiful is when you become selfless, and have a good moral grounding, and on that basis everyone likes you.

north_malaysian
06-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Fair and Lovely... very famous in Malaysia too...

crayon
06-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Ahaha fair and lovely, i was just going to mention that.. Their commercials drive me crazy UGH, they're so annoying.:raging:

Anyway, I had some more thoughts about this last night, but I'd already turned off the computer and gone to bed, so I couldn't post it on here. I wrote it down so I could remember though, lol. I was going to just scan it and post it up, but figured my hand writing would probably be illegible to most, seeing as I was writing fast before my thoughts could fly away.

Beauty is a package deal, you can't isolate its different parts, take one, and say that is what defines beauty.

Everyone is beautiful, has some element of beauty in them, no matter how small. Even Hitler was slightly beautiful in some way; before he went all psychotic and Nazi like, he was an artist, he used to paint flowers. That is beautiful.

Of course some people have more beauty that others, but it exists in everyone. I see true beauty as something that not everyone has, it's this "thing" that can't be explained. It's because of that "thing" that people love one another. One person may view someone else as an ugly person, or even just a regular one, but that person's spouse would see them as the most beautiful person in the world. Everyone has preferences and ideas about what the "perfect" person is like, so when someone's combination of characteristics come close to that ideal, there's this spark that isn't found with everyone else. And I'm not just talking about male and female relationships, btw, I mean any kind of interaction between human beings, whether it's friends, a kid and adult, etc.

And in all I've said, whenever I refer to beauty, I don't mean physical beauty, I mean the combination that I described earlier- I just didn't feel like repeating myself every single time.

glo
06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Fair and lovely?

And then there are caucasians trying to roast themselves tanned in the sun, or using self-tanning creams to look darker ...

It's a MAD world!! :D

Muhaba
06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
It's really what you hear/read about that affects your attitude. If a bunch of people joined forums and started talking about how beautiful dark skin is, I think you would see some change soon. I've read so many stories about tall, dark and handsome, that i really find that a beautiful quality and voted for it, amongst others. (I voted for options 2, 3, 4, and 5).

I don't think white in itself makes a person beautiful. It's really the features that count. A person may be white but not beautiful and a person may be dark skinned and beautiful. I personally think green and blue eyes are beautiful; those are beautiful colors. But I don't think that people with blue eyes or green eyes are automatically more beautiful than people with brown or black eyes.

oh yeah and I read about that study too. Don't knwo what it's called but it was conducted by Jane Elloit.

~Raynn~
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Like, if you went there and watched the TV ads there, you'll see ads that are to the effect of a girl with slightly darker skin color is sad because no one wants to propose to her, and then she hears of this amazing face cream which "brightens complexion" so she uses it and becomes magically whiter and "fair-skinned", and then she starts getting all these wedding proposals and she's so happy - all wrapped up into a 30 second advertisement.
Haha, that there is the stuff of soap operas...:exhausted.
I remember hearing somewhere once, that the expression "tall, dark and handsome" is today more like "tall, fair and have-some (money)". Lol...but such a mentality doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon...

There is obviously such a thing as physical beauty...there's what's accepted, like, universally, as beautiful...and then beauty that only some can see (?), or which becomes apparent over time... I'm not making any sense, but basically, to make colour the only parameter for this, is totally wrong...
And of course, this is all overshadowed by a person's character...

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
And then there are caucasians trying to roast themselves tanned in the sun, or using self-tanning creams to look darker ...

Lol, indeeed...there's nothing weirder than someone telling you, "omg, I wish I had your tan!!" :giggling:

oh yeah and I read about that study too. Don't knwo what it's called but it was conducted by Jane Elloit.
I think it's just called the Blue-eyed/Brown-eyed Exercise, lol. This is the first time I've come across it, though...incredibly interesting.

Rebel
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
You know, I tried thinking of an answer to this question but I really don't have a clue :><:

S_87
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Fair and lovely?

LOL for sure it is :rollseyes

witness
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
1) Someone who is pious and God fearing.
2) Beauty comes from the multiple layers of their personality which exudes them.
3) Someone who is phyically attractive regardless of color.

all of these in a certain way show beauty...but it depends on the 'eye of the beholder'.....this is what i think...

If someone is looking merely for a visual -laminate floor type- beauty then beauty number 3 is sufficent for this person.

If someone is looking for something a little deeper perhaps to have a good time and stimulate their minds and emotions with then beauty number 2 will be most beautiful to them.

and if someone is looking for the truth then nothing will be more beautiful than beauty number 1.

I guess once the beauty one is looking for has been found the superficial aspect of the persons beauty has little relevance.

The attractiveness of either beauty 1 (and maybe 2) is just that ...to attract.

And although number 3 may not necessarily attract many in the first instance this beauty has the ability to hold and keep the attraction something the other beauty types may not be able to do on their own merits.

One bestowed with all 3...Alhumdulilah. :statisfie

Mysterious Uk
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Someone who is pious and God fearing + Beauty comes from the multiple layers of their personality which exudes = Someone who is phyically attractive regardless of color

north_malaysian
06-09-2009, 01:34 AM
the Koreans, Japanese and Chinese too...

In Malaysia, girls prefer dark skin guys because light skin guys are considered as sissies...

Muezzin
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Women with light skin want to darken it.

Women with dark skin want to lighten it.

Men are just happy women exist.

The strangest phenomenon of all is the beauty industry. I can understand if a person undergoes something like reconstructive surgery or wears heaps of make-up because of an accident or a disfiguring condition etc, but simply wanting to (in some cases) quite seriously change the very pigmentation of their skin for the sake of some vague notion of 'beauty' is a bit silly to say the least.

Banu_Hashim
06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
the Koreans, Japanese and Chinese too...

In Malaysia, girls prefer dark skin guys because light skin guys are considered as sissies...
lol, really? That's new to me...

alcurad
06-09-2009, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Women with light skin want to darken it.

Women with dark skin want to lighten it.

Men are just happy women exist.

The strangest phenomenon of all is the beauty industry. I can understand if a person undergoes something like reconstructive surgery or wears heaps of make-up because of an accident or a disfiguring condition etc, but simply wanting to (in some cases) quite seriously change the very pigmentation of their skin for the sake of some vague notion of 'beauty' is a bit silly to say the least.
haha :rollseyes, couldn't agree more.

I read somewhere about this, ie. whiteness and so on, apparently it has biological precursors, signifying youth and so on, can't find the article,anyway, it also said that women tan to signal maturity, and so on and so forth, there was some data and statistics, and it looked genuine, but I lost the link:(
anyway, what I'm getting at is that if some people like some traits it's ok, but not to the detriment of everything else, someone's worth hasn't much to do with skin color..

sister skye's opinion is correct I believe, the problem has much to do with an inferiority complex amongst some middle easterners particularly, i know because I have been in Pakistan+Arab countries, and it is pervasive.
perhaps colonialism is the culprit?

syilla
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
lol, really? That's new to me...
do not believe much what he has said.... :exhausted

Is just that the really really fair ones that most of the ladies do not like... but to tell u the truth...most of the celebrities here are really really fair. :X

north_malaysian
06-11-2009, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
do not believe much what he has said.... :exhausted
Hey.. I've heard about this from my sisters and cousins...

Is just that the really really fair ones that most of the ladies do not like...
I am talking about these people lah.... :exhausted

but to tell u the truth...most of the celebrities here are really really fair. :X
or should I say... Pan-Asian looking...

جوري
06-11-2009, 04:06 AM
I think Malaysians are beautiful.. actually I have a preference for the far eastern /oriental look, especially when babies and toddlers, they look like little kittens ...

adorable

north_malaysian
06-11-2009, 05:02 AM
I think Malaysians are beautiful.. actually I have a preference for the far eastern /oriental look, especially when babies and toddlers, they look like little kittens ...

adorable
the Malays are mostly look like those Hawaiians, Samoans people...

syilla
06-11-2009, 06:19 AM

adorable
thats chinese looking.. :statisfie

جوري
06-11-2009, 06:34 AM
I googled cute asian kids and she was the first up lol...
thought she is indeed cute, I have seen even cuter, you just want to put em in a sandwich and eat em up lol ..

I always say that to my 4 year old niece, used to freak her out but now she plays along and hands me her arms lol

Wyatt
06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
I think someone with an experienced history or is very knowledgable and a large degree of honesty is "beautiful". Perhaps, honesty is the thing I value most in another person.

I think those two things mean something different to me than others. :X Someone might say, "Oh, smart and honest, typical characteristics in a good person," but... I don't mean smart, but knowledgeable... and not truthfully honest, but realistically honest. :blind: Can't seem to describe what I mean.

north_malaysian
06-11-2009, 07:30 AM

a Malay baby (the Malays have slightly bigger eyes than the Chinese)

alcurad
06-11-2009, 03:39 PM
is that u :D?

جوري
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

a Malay baby (the Malays have slightly bigger eyes than the Chinese)
adorable ey.. she is such a sweetheart masha'Allah, what a blessing she is..
what does comel tak saya mean?

Clover
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
The most beatiful hair I think is natural brunette with blonde highlights. I'd want my girl to be decent looking, she doesn't have to be gorgeous, but I want her to be intellectually smart, I don't want a girl who cannot have a intellectual talk with me.

north_malaysian
06-12-2009, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
is that u :D?
nope.. lol

north_malaysian
06-12-2009, 01:17 AM
adorable ey.. she is such a sweetheart masha'Allah, what a blessing she is..
what does comel tak saya mean?

"comel tak saya" = am I cute?

Woodrow
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Beauty is so over rated and misunderstood. All people are naturally beautiful, it is only our view that becomes ugly as life clouds our eyes.

If any of us see any human as being ugly or not beautiful, I think we need to understand it is our vision that has become faulty. People are always beautiful, but some people are capable of ugly actions.

Khayal
07-02-2009, 01:04 AM

For me,

Someone who is pious and God fearing ,

Thats all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.