/* */

PDA

View Full Version : European elections

Blackpool
06-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Has anybody been watching this? It's good to see the UK Independence Party come 2nd although I couldn't vote. I need to sort out my registration as I moved address!
I've notice right-wing parties doing really well in Europe. One that stook out for me was some Netherlands political party called "blah-de-blah Anti-Islamic Party." They gained 3 seats! The BNP gained 2.

This is down to the immigration and the EU. In my opinion, the EU will crumble in years to come. Even the Conservatives in this country are against the EU. They'll be coming into power next year if not beforehand.

What are your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Not all Conservatives are against the EU. The brighter ones are actually in favour of it.

The UKIP vote has little to do with 'immigration'; that's where the BNP get their voters.. not that any of them know or even care about the facts, anyway. It's a protest vote against the recession, the MP expenses scandal, and Labour having been in office well past the voters' boredom threshold. And the good 'ol British habit of disliking the French, obviously.

aadil77
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
this recent MP expenses problem has spoiled things and at just the right time to give people another choice on who to vote for

Amadeus85
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
The Left won only in Malta, Ireland and Bulgaria I guess. But what annoys me is that the Green parties, one of the most silly ideological groups, gained more votes than usual.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
The Left won only in Malta, Ireland and Bulgaria I guess.
Actually, Germany also managed to (slightly) veer to the left.

But what annoys me is that the Green parties, one of the most silly ideological groups, gained more votes than usual.
That's cause Karina and I voted for them! :D

Come to think of it I have voted for the Green Party on and off since the mid 80's - they have become a pretty mature mainstream party and have long left the image of 'silly ideological group'.

Now then, can anybody tell me more about the Pirate Party in Sweden??

Amadeus85
06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=glo;1163432]
Actually, Germany also managed to (slightly) veer to the left.
But CDU CSU won there I guess.

Come to think of it I have voted for the Green Party on and off since the mid 80's - they have become a pretty mature mainstream party and have long left the image of 'silly ideological group'.
Doesnt it disturb You that they support gay marriages,liberal abortion law, and come from the 1968 revolution playground?

They got in EU Parliament, got about 9% (but cant be sure). These are people from Pirate Bay net site to search torrents in. They got court case recently.

Rabi'ya
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
:sl:

I am just deeply saddened that people are disillusioned enough to vote BNP. And that many Muslims don't vote in order to keep them out of office.

The pirate party are interesting as are this Jury Team. Their Party Political Broadcast on BBC was quite funny. they said they were against the idea of setting up a party and were infact all independent. Wait a minute, aren't the Jury Team a party, so that has gone against their idea of independence lol

Uthman
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
These are people from Pirate Bay net site to search torrents in. They got court case recently.
And they're a political party?! How strange! :D

Amadeus85
06-08-2009, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Thats Sweden.

Uthman
06-08-2009, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
I've read more about them, and actually it's not so strange.

Whatsthepoint
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
I have mixed feelings baout conservatices getting the upper hand in european politics. I'm all pro limiting immigration but on the other hand I'm fairly liberal in every other aspect.

glo
06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I have mixed feelings baout conservatices getting the upper hand in european politics. I'm all pro limiting immigration but on the other hand I'm fairly liberal in every other aspect.
I think it's almost impossible to find a party which you agree with 100% ... often it's a case of prioritising which areas you feel are the most important.

Suomipoika
06-08-2009, 07:43 PM
In the end I voted for Green party. I'm sick and tired of the lefties which I've been voting for rather faithfully before.

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
A party for free flow of information and file sharing, against censorship and goverment control. Most popular among Swedish youths. Interestingly enough many of the big Swedish parties seem to be starting to adopt their stance on various issues, which, for freedom of speech, is rather good thing.

format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
:sl:

I am just deeply saddened that people are disillusioned enough to vote BNP
I can't understand why the big parties don't tackle the issues that make people vote for the likes of BNP but ignore the problems around bad policies, multiculturalism and minorities.

Amadeus85
06-08-2009, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Dont worry, actually it's hard to point out differences about "the other things" between european mainstream Right and Left. With few exceptions of course.

aamirsaab
06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
I can't understand why the big parties don't tackle the issues that make people vote for the likes of BNP but ignore the problems around bad policies, multiculturalism and minorities.
Those topics are often very sensitive and are likely to cause too much polarisation and/or offense, thus limiting range of potential votes. But you have a good point; the big parties do not tackle all the issues that BNP does - and that's one of the reasons BNP gets the votes it does.

This year has been awful in general for Gordon Brown, though. I mean, since he's been PM, the **** has constantly been hitting the fan; credit crunch, numerous data losses and the recent expenses scandals (there's probably more, but these are the ones I can remember). Not saying he was responsible, but if you're PM and that stuff happens during your term, people start losing confidence in you. Plus, David Cameron owns him in terms of charisma.

Muezzin
06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
Because that would require work ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.