/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Doha Debates ft Yasir Qadhi

Al-Hanbali
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
:salamext:

Motion: "This House believes that Muslim women should be free to marry anyone they choose."

Watch: http://www.thedohadebates.com/debate...sp?d=50&res=hi

Read: The Doha Debates: An Insider’s Perspective (Yasir Qadhi, Asra Nomani & Women’s Freedom to Marry) [MuslimMatters]

Your thoughts ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I like these debates. Imma watch, thnxx!

Uthman
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
JazakAllah Khayr. I was looking for this!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
That's ridiculous. For the motion was greater lol. The azra nomani lady was being a suckup, speaking of her own desires lol. Anyway it was interesting. Thanks for sharin.

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zafran
06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
salaam

The video doesnt work guys for me????

peace

Al-Hanbali
06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
^ working fine for me ...

Zafran
06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
^ working fine for me ...
Salaam

ok it works:D

peace

rpwelton
06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Go Yasir Qadhi!

It sounded to me like Asra wants to change this whole religion, and Habash made very strange points, suggesting some kind of hybrid "Muslim/Christian" person.

Zafran
06-10-2009, 08:10 PM
salaam

wow i'm shocked about the poll.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-10-2009, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
Go Yasir Qadhi!

It sounded to me like Asra wants to change this whole religion, and Habash made very strange points, suggesting some kind of hybrid "Muslim/Christian" person.
Yea seriously. The lady next to him, thoraya, was cool too.

rpwelton
06-10-2009, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Yea seriously. The lady next to him, thoraya, was cool too.
I agree. However, Yasir Qadhi was (for the most part) the only one arguing from a religious point of view. Since Islam is a complete system, every aspect of life is governed by religion. Therefor it doesn't make sense to be arguing from a point other than religion when it comes to being a Muslim. We can't just act on our whims and desires, or based on the pretext laid out by modern society. We have a code of law to follow, and that is the Law of Allah.

In my opinion, while the debate was interesting, this is not a subject that is open to interpretation by just anybody. Sh. Qadhi was the only scholar/cleric on the board, and thus the only one with any real weight to his answers.

Al-Hanbali
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
^ yh...

Yasir Qadhi's basic point was that as a Muslim, there will definately be some boundaries which cannot be crossed, and if you do want to cross them, then leave religion out of it.

Asra on the other hand, firstly wasn't justifying any of her views from an Islamic perspective and secondly, kept on responding to YQ with, 'that's your version of Islam'. Definately speaking from her whims and desires!

That other guy was either confused or didn't have a clue about what he was saying!

Thorya; she made some OK points though I didn't find them much convincing.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi, Masha'Allaah, handled it very well (his premise, and responses thereafter were brilliant Masha'Allaah), and the Sister that was speaking with him. I thought Sh. Yasir's replies were pretty much on the dot, and I really liked how he didn't let himself get caught up in the scapegoats Nomani kept trying to throw. May Allaah protect him. The Syrian brother, to me seemed confused as to what he really believed, as Sh. Yasir said, he probably just belonged on the other side of the table. I also really liked how Sh. Yasir kept devaluing Nomani's point by clearly showing that much of what happens is just due to culture and not Islam thereby demolishing her whole premise and argument.

One thing I noticed was how Nomani was trying to get her point across by appealing to emotions - not only was it sad to see (it looked like a desperate attempt), it showed that she really had no substance in her responses so had to appeal to something that has no standing in a factual discussion. Also, her point on showing 'unconditional love' made no sense, it wasn't much of a practical 'reconciliation'; and lastly you can see how her side of the argument bases it's opinion on ra'y, and the dangers of unconstrained ra'y and straying from the Book and the Sunnah.

And Masha'Allaah the first questioner, the sister from Seattle, she was on point with her questions! May Allaah protect her, I'm sure she really was a thorn in Nomani's side with her firm belief and sticking openly to the Deen. I'm surprised the vote wasn't higher against the motion.

Chuck
06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Motion was too broad.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-10-2009, 09:39 PM

The debate was actually 1 hour and 40 minutes and they edited to 47.

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/05/26/...#comment-44483

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
I agree. However, Yasir Qadhi was (for the most part) the only one arguing from a religious point of view. Since Islam is a complete system, every aspect of life is governed by religion. Therefor it doesn't make sense to be arguing from a point other than religion when it comes to being a Muslim. We can't just act on our whims and desires, or based on the pretext laid out by modern society. We have a code of law to follow, and that is the Law of Allah.

In my opinion, while the debate was interesting, this is not a subject that is open to interpretation by just anybody. Sh. Qadhi was the only scholar/cleric on the board, and thus the only one with any real weight to his answers.
I'm not sure I said otherwise. I said she was cool too, not I loved her opinion and is the best or I would go with any opinion unislamically. Obviously Islam is meant to govern our every aspect of life. I already know this....

Yanal
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
JazakAllah Khayr for the original one,I rather watch the whole and understand fully rather then watch half and get a few basic points on the debate.

BlissfullyJaded
06-10-2009, 10:48 PM

Ah, Asra Nomani. She babbles on, it's ridiculous. If she thinks she's a face for womens' liberation, may Allah help all women. :-/ Sheikh Yaasir Qadhi was perfect tho mashaAllah. :thumbs_up

Thoraya wasn't bad, but yea her premises were flimsy. It's foolish to assume that just because a young individual wants to marry somebody, and his or her family is against that person that the family is right. I don't deny that there is a greater chance for the family to be correct, and that the young person is acting on their hearts desires rather than rational thoughts. I'm aware that parents know better, and have greater insight than we do. But that's not always the case, there are cases where the individual is on the right and their family is wrong due to cultural and un Islamic reasons, and she failed to mention that there are exceptions.

I think the motion was too broad, and that's why some voted in favor, but I'm not too sure.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
JazakAllah Khayr for the original one,I rather watch the whole and understand fully rather then watch half and get a few basic points on the debate.
That's probably the most we're going to get, so you should watch it bro.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-10-2009, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Ah, Asra Nomani. She babbles on, it's ridiculous. If she thinks she's a face for womens' liberation, may Allah help all women. :-/ Sheikh Yaasir Qadhi was perfect tho mashaAllah. :thumbs_up

Thoraya wasn't bad, but yea her premises were flimsy. It's foolish to assume that just because a young individual wants to marry somebody, and his or her family is against that person that the family is right. I don't deny that there is a greater chance for the family to be correct, and that the young person is acting on their hearts desires rather than rational thoughts. I'm aware that parents know better, and have greater insight than we do. But that's not always the case, there are cases where the individual is on the right and their family is wrong due to cultural and un Islamic reasons, and she failed to mention that there are exceptions.

I think the motion was too broad, and that's why some voted in favor, but I'm not too sure.
Yeap totally :thumbs_up

rpwelton
06-10-2009, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I'm not sure I said otherwise. I said she was cool too, not I loved her opinion and is the best or I would go with any opinion unislamically. Obviously Islam is meant to govern our every aspect of life. I already know this....
My intention wasn't to imply that you didn't...sorry if it was confusing; I was just adding some more thoughts of my own.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
^^Okies...=]

Uthman
06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Sheikh Yasir's arguments were clear, factual and logical. The arguments coming from the other side were weak and emotional based on whims and desires. The correct view is quite clear, except to those who don't want to see it.

Malaikah
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Motion was too broad.
I agree, honestly how pointless...

crayon
06-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Yasir Qadhi, mashaAllah, what a speaker! Don't think I've ever seen/heard much from him before, just his name, oh and that mac/pc article, lol. I admire how patient he was with Asra, I might have gotten slightlyyy frustrated with her.

Here's his take on the debate, a very interesting read.

Al-Hanbali
06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
There's this really brilliant part where I think YQ hit the nail on the dot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9CHEhZL0OA (watch @ 38:20 mins)...

Asra had nothing to say but, "...your version of the Laws of God..." <-- what nonsense!

May Allaah guide her and guide us all...Ameen!!

Intisar
06-14-2009, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
There's this really brilliant part where I think YQ hit the nail on the dot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9CHEhZL0OA (watch @ 38:20 mins)...

Asra had nothing to say but, "...your version of the Laws of God..." <-- what nonsense!

May Allaah guide her and guide us all...Ameen!!
The moderator really annoyed me, he seems really ignorant on Islam.

Uthman
06-14-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
The moderator really annoyed me, he seems really ignorant on Islam.
It's the role of the moderator to challenge the pannelists, regardless of their position. After all, he did it for the other team as well!

Sheikh Yasir Qadhi said that he admired his character as well, on the article that he wrote on the MM website.

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/05/26/...edom-to-marry/

Intisar
06-14-2009, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
It's the role of the moderator to challenge the pannelists, regardless of their position. After all, he did it for the other team as well!
Yes, but as a moderator you should let people speak. He asks one question, interrupts them before they can finish their answer, and then switches the question up (but essentially asking them the same thing). As a moderator, your role is to be neutral. Personally, I feel like he was siding with one side too much.

BlissfullyJaded
06-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Nah, I don't really think he was unfair. He only might have cut into Sheikh Yasir Qadhi a couple times to make things go a lil faster. When Asra Nomani was trying to ramble, he cut in also, and at one point she looked real foolish after his questioning.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/07/17/...-yaser-birjas/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.