/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and wrestling

redblackmask
06-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Hi,

What is the stance of Islam towards wrestling? Stuff like the WWE and TNA? Is it accepted in Islamic civilization and is anything said about the sport of wrestling in the Quran?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
redblackmask
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Still no replies? I'm just curious, IF I were to ever convert to Islam, I could continue watching wrestling. I assume there's nothing wrong with it, I've always had a passion for the wrestling business since I was a kid.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey.

I'm not sure but the way they dress is inappropriate, at least from what is seen in commercial wrestling.
In Islam, the men have a certain level of modesty they have to observe. They cannot expose themself from the navel to the knee. I hope though this doesn't keep you from accepting Islam, that is if you will or have ever given it a thought :)

Peace

Tony
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
no hitting in the face, no mixed sex training, no bowing to other than Allah. otherwise dont think anything wrong

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GreyKode
06-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I heard that the sahaba used to wrestle (the prophet muhammad(pbuh) included) together as a form of sport.

rk9414
06-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Wrestling. The Prophet wrestled with a number of men, one of whom was Rukanah ibn `Abd Yazid ibn Hashim ibn `Abdul-Muttalib, who lived in Makkah and was a skillful wrestler. People used to come to him from distant territories and challenge him in wrestling. Ibn Ishaq narrated the story of Rukanah: Once the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) met him in one of the mountain paths of Makkah, whereupon he said to him, "O Rukanah! Will not you fear Allah and accept what I am calling you to?" Rukanah replied, "O Muhammad! Do you have a witness to verify your truthfulness?" So the Prophet said, "If I beat you in wrestling, will you believe in Allah and His Messenger?" The man replied, "Yes." The Prophet wrestled him and defeated him. Rukanah was astonished with that, and he asked the Prophet to acquit him of their agreement, which is belief, and to have a rematch. So they had a second and a third rematch where the Prophet also defeated him. Rukanah was astonished and said, "This is very strange indeed!" Then he immediately embraced Islam. Other narrations state that he embraced Islam after the conquest (fath)of Makkah" (Al-Hakim, Abu Dawud, and At-Tirmidhi).

The Prophet also wrestled with Abu Al-Aswad Al-Jumahi, who was so strong that he would stand on a cow hide, and ten men would pull the hide to take it from under his feet, but in the end, the hide would be torn and he had not moved an inch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Whenever an army of Mujahidin moved out from Madinah, Rasulullah
(Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) first inspected them to ensure that nothing
was lacking in men and equipment. If anyone was underage, he would send them
back to Madinah. While setting out for Uhud, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi
Wasallam) carried out this inspection. He ordered the young boys to go back.
Among them were 'Abdullah bin Umar, Zaid-bin-Thabit, Usamah-bin-Zaid,
Zaid-bin-Arqam, Baraa-bin-Aazib, 'Amr*bin-Hazam, Usaid-bin-Zuhair,
'Urabah-bin-Aus, Abu Said Khudri, Sumurah-bin-Jundub and Raf'e-bin- Khadij.
All of them had just entered their teens. Khadij said to the Prophet
((Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), 'O Prophet of Allah! My son Rafe'e is a very
good archer.' Rafe'e too stood on his toes to show himself taller than he
actual was. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) permitted him to stay
on. When Samrah bin Jundub learnt about this, he complained to his
step-father Murrah bin Sanaan saying, 'Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi
Wasallam) has permitted Raf'ee and rejected me, while I am sure to beat him
in a wrestling contest and, therefore, I was more deserving of the Prophet's
favour.' This was reported to Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), who
allowed Samrah to prove his claim by wrestling with Rafe. Samrah did
actually beat Rafe in the bout and he too was permitted to stay in the army.

In view of the above two incidents, it is clear that wrestling itself is a
permissible (Mubaah) skill that obtained Deeni benefits. In principle, one
may follow a Mubaah act on condition it is not contaminated with anything
un-Islamic. Some of the un-Islamic factors which may render wrestling
prohibited are: a) Being commercialized venture, hence, un-Islamic factors,
intermingling of sexes, exposure of Satar, etc. b) Being unmindful of
Salaat.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Yeah, thank you for the replies. The exposure is not a problem, I know plenty of balanced wrestling gear that could cover me up.

And I already kind of have accepted Islam, I'm just not a convert. I'm a Taoist. I believe that the Quran has many truths to it, though.

And that's interesting, I never knew that info about the prophet. I can image the ring style would be different from today's though :statisfie Thanks for the info

أبو سليمان عمر
06-14-2009, 03:50 AM
real wrestling should be fine
we should differentiate between real wrestling and wwe which is fake

Yanal
06-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I do not know how to correctly answer this without a source and such a thing can affect your deen so it's best if I do not give my opinion but yes I do have a comment on that. WWE is fake so why watch it?

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 04:07 AM
To answer BOTH your questions, I watch WWE because:

1) I want to
2) I love it, been watching since 1998
3) I have a passion for the wrestling industry and one day I would like to be a wrestler!

أبو سليمان عمر
06-14-2009, 04:08 AM
i didnt ask a question i only stated a fact

Yanal
06-14-2009, 04:12 AM
^ actually I did.:embarrass
why watch it?
I apologize if I upseted you.

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 04:28 AM
No you didn't really offend me, I just love wrestling and will continue to be actively involved in it. Just be careful how you come across next time

shock_proof
06-14-2009, 10:53 AM
redblackmask, I used to watch wrestling a lot when I was a little kid and i still watch WWE sometimes, haven't watched TNA for some time. I don't think there's anything wrong in watching wrestling in islam other than probably about modest dress codes.

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah but I guess you guys don't understand it from my point of view :raging:

When you've grown up with wrestling, when you have it in your blood, when you have such a passion for the wrestling industry, you know it's scripted entertainment, you will let nothing stand in your way of being a wrestler. I guess we have conflicting points of view here because we come from completely different environments I assume, and that's ok.

Now I'm at a point where I have to decide: Do I continue forwards with my lifelong dream, or do I follow with what God is guiding me to do? I'm in between a rock and a hard place, here.

Muezzin
06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
I heard that the sahaba used to wrestle (the prophet muhammad(pbuh) included) together as a form of sport.
Yeah, but they weren't tombstone piledriving each other into tables.

It would have been more like amateur/Olympic wrestling.

crayon
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by redblackmask

When you've grown up with wrestling, when you have it in your blood, when you have such a passion for the wrestling industry, you know it's scripted entertainment, you will let nothing stand in your way of being a wrestler. I guess we have conflicting points of view here because we come from completely different environments I assume, and that's ok.

Now I'm at a point where I have to decide: Do I continue forwards with my lifelong dream, or do I follow with what God is guiding me to do? I'm in between a rock and a hard place, here.
Your question basically translates to: Do I want the temporary pleasure of this life, or do I prefer eternal pleasure in the afterlife?

I know how it must feel to give up a dream that big, but inshaAllah you will be rewarded for whatever suffering and heartbreak you go through for it.

I always tell people to channel their desires and talents for haram into the halal. So for example, if someone has a great voice, instead of using it to sing in a band with music, sing anasheed. Try to figure out how you can apply your love for wrestling in a way that Islam approves of.

The prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said: "Whoever abandons something for the sake of Allaah, He will replace it for him with something better than it”

Tony
06-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Then theres ur answer plain and simple, whats stopping you

أبو سليمان عمر
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
personal i think this is a small matter and u shouldnt worry about it accpet the truth since u believe it and the rest will fall in place learn islam and try to gain eman and u will find all this things we thought we need will go away And Allah knows best

Muslim Woman
06-14-2009, 04:17 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
..... prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said: "Whoever abandons something for the sake of Allaah, He will replace it for him with something better than it”
Jazak Allah for sharing it with all. I was very fond of Hindu movies , tv serials few years back. After reading this hadith , I decided to abandon Hindi serials & Eng movies with this hope that Allah will reward me for this ( InshaAllah ). :statisfie

To the thread started , to my knowledge , wrestling is not forbidden in Islam at all . I saw ( only for few seconds ) some Japanese wrestlers ...yak ......the way they dressed , looks like they have no shame. If u want to take part in this sport , try to cover yourself from naval to knee .

If you are really convinced that Islam is the truth , don't delay to accept it. If u break the command of dress code , still u will remain as a Muslim & punishment won't be eternal fire .

And Allah Knows Best.

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Alright,

This is my personal choice, between me and God. No offense, but I feel like you guys are slightly pushing me to drop it. That's my decision, not yours.

And I don't like all this talking about Allah throwing me into an eternal fire. There is no scientific evidence of eternal paradise, so I'll just leave that one alone.

crayon
06-14-2009, 04:57 PM
You are on an Islamic forum, getting an Islamic perspective- what else were you expecting when you asked? No one is forcing you to do anything, of course whatever you do with your life is your decision, we are merely answering your question in regards to Islam and wrestling.

I never mentioned wrestling in my previous posts- in and of itself it is not against islam, however it is common for some haram things to be associated with it, such as hitting the face, wearing revealing clothes, swearing etc. If it is not involved with haram things then it would be acceptable, if not then it wouldn't.

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah, see I understand that I'm on an Islamic forum, I'm not a braindead zombie.

Anyways, I understand that it would come from an Islamic perspective, I just didn't like how they were delivering that info to me. Perhaps they meant well but how they said it didn't come off right because of their point of view, or maybe English isn't their first language.

But yeah, the point of this topic was to ask what is the stance of Islam towards wrestling, and I got the answer. This is a decision I'll have to make on my own, thanks for the input.

Muslim Woman
06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Salaam/ Peace

.. I don't like all this talking about Allah throwing me into an eternal fire
Sorry if I offended you . Just wanted to say that if a Muslim takes part in wrestling , s/he won't be in fire forever . Only worship other deity with/ besides God will lead us in to hellfire forever.

There is no scientific evidence of eternal paradise.
huh...what do u mean ?? Is there any scientific evidence of hereafter ? I don't think so . Does it mean we are free to do anything ??

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-14-2009, 05:27 PM
^^Just a side note. No one was being rude to you and most likely you took it that way, as you mentioned ur passionate about it....therefore if someone doesn't think in your line of thought, it seems "offensive." When you ask for Islams stance, u will get an answer according to it. No one is making you do anything. You asked therefore you got it.

According now to the OPs statement, further discussion is out of the picture.

All the best.

Muezzin
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi,

What is the stance of Islam towards wrestling? Stuff like the WWE and TNA? Is it accepted in Islamic civilization and is anything said about the sport of wrestling in the Quran?
Alright,

This is my personal choice, between me and God. No offense, but I feel like you guys are slightly pushing me to drop it. That's my decision, not yours.
I don't think anyone is pushing you to drop it. You asked for the Islamic perspective - there are ahadith stating that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and his companions did take part in a type of wrestling, probably closer to amateur/Olympic wrestling than WWE/TNA. Also, Islamically there may be some problems with the latter's wrestling costumes, and whether they cover the requisite amount of the body.

If wrestling is your dream, by all means follow it.

Abubakar
06-15-2009, 05:42 PM

If God is guiding you in a different direction, that is the best path to follow.

We are all a little conservative and tend to hang onto things we have enjoyed previously, let it go, you may find that you the path set out for you will return you to wrestling or even replace it with something more personally fulfilling.

Zafran
06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
salaam

wrestling of TNA and WWE is just a bunch of naked men acting - wont call that wrestling.

Tony
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Who remembers Mick mcmanus, giant haystacks, tony st claire, KENDO NAGASAKI ( MY PERSNAL FAV), BIG DADDY ETC. sweet memories of watching grandstand with my gran on a saturday, they were real men back then. Allahs blessings be upon my gran, Ameen.

Muezzin
06-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi,

This is the original post. The questions posed in it have been answered.

Unfortunately, people are starting to deviate from the original intent of the thread and this is causing conflict.

Therefore, because the questions have been answered, and because the discussion is exhausted, I'm closing this thread.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.