PDA

View Full Version : Museum on horrors of Holocaust gripped by shooting



Muezzin
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
By CALVIN WOODWARD and NAFEESA SYEED – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The most prominent American museum bearing witness to violence against Jews was the scene of bloodshed, its doors breached by an assailant who opened fire with a rifle, killing a guard in an attack linked to a white supremacist's hate.

James von Brunn, 88, a Holocaust denier who once tried to kidnap members of the Federal Reserve Board, is the suspect in Wednesday's assault at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Guard Stephen T. Johns was killed.

Security engaged the gunman as soon as he stepped inside the crowded museum and began shooting, authorities said. Johns, 39, who is black, "died heroically in the line of duty," museum director Sara Bloomfield said.

One guard shot and critically wounded the assailant. He was being treated at a Washington hospital.

A self-described artist, advertising man and author living in Annapolis, Md., von Brunn wrote an anti-Semitic treatise, "Kill the Best Gentiles," decried "the browning of America" and claimed to expose a Jewish conspiracy "to destroy the White gene-pool." He also wrote of a lifetime of seething anger.

"It's better to be strong than right," he said in one of his dark screeds online, "unless you like dying. Crowds hate good guys."

When von Brunn was captured after the shooting, he had a list he had made of lawmakers on Capitol Hill, according to a law enforcement official. The purpose of the list was not immediately clear, said the official, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.

Investigators are trying to determine how von Brunn acquired the .22-caliber rifle used in the attack, said two other law enforcement officials, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

Israeli officials and U.S. Muslim and Hispanic groups all expressed shock at the attack, which unfolded in a public space filled with records, photographs and exhibits standing as stark testament to the Nazis' killing more than 6 million Jews in the Holocaust of more than a half-century ago.

The museum was crowded with schoolchildren and other tourists, but all escaped injury.

Ashley Camp, 14, of Forsyth, Ill., on a field trip with more than 40 other students, said she heard two or three gunshots. Soon after, a security guard ordered the group to run to the exit.

"We had to sprint as fast as we could out the door," she said. "I thought it was the movie (part of a museum exhibit), but then everyone started screaming and running."

Law enforcement officials said von Brunn's car was found near the museum and was tested for explosives. They spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.

Von Brunn was sentenced in 1983 for attempted armed kidnapping and other charges in his 1981 bid to seize Fed board members. A guard captured him outside the room where the board was meeting. He had a revolver, sawed-off shotgun and knife in a bag with him. He served more than six years in prison.

"The subject resides in my memory like old road-kill," he wrote of the capture. "What could have been a slam-bang victory turned into ignoble failure. Recalling all of this presents an onerous task. I am getting near the end of the diving board."

Von Brunn is a native of St. Louis, a World War II veteran who served in the Navy for about 14 years, worked in advertising in New York City and moved to Maryland's Eastern Shore in the late 1960s, where he stayed in advertising and tried to make a mark as an artist. He was living in New Hampshire the year of his arrest at the Fed headquarters.

Public records show that in 2004 and 2005 he lived briefly in Hayden, Idaho, which for years was home to the Aryan Nations, a racist group run by neo-Nazi Richard Butler.

Civil rights groups were familiar with his virulent history.

"We've been tracking this guy for decades," said Heidi Beirich, director of research for the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project, which tracks hate crimes. "He thinks the Jews control the Federal Reserve, the banking system, that basically all Jews are evil," she said. "He's an extreme anti-Semite."

His Internet writings say the Holocaust was a hoax. "At Auschwitz the 'Holocaust' myth became Reality, and Germany, cultural gem of the West, became a pariah among world nations," he wrote.

The attack is "further proof that anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial have not passed from the world," said Israel's information and Diaspora minister, Yuli Edelstein.

"It's the first domestic terrorist of this age that we've seen," Beirich said. "It just shows you it doesn't matter what age you are — you can be driven to violence from these belief systems."

The attack was the third unsettling shooting that appeared to have political underpinnings.

A 23-year-old Army private, William Andrew Long, was shot and killed outside a recruiting office this month in Arkansas and a fellow soldier wounded. The suspect, a Muslim convert, has said he considers the killing justified because of the U.S. military presence in the Middle East.

Late last month, abortion provider Dr. George Tiller was shot to death in his church. The man accused of killing him is a longtime vocal opponent of abortion.

At the White House, just blocks away from the museum, President Barack Obama said: "This outrageous act reminds us that we must remain vigilant against anti-Semitism and prejudice in all its forms. No American institution is more important to this effort than the Holocaust Museum, and no act of violence will diminish our determination to honor those who were lost by building a more peaceful and tolerant world."

Associated Press writers Desiree Hunter in Montgomery, Ala., Sarah Brumfield and Aaron Morrison in Baltimore, Brian Witte in Annapolis, Md., and Eileen Sullivan, Lolita C. Baldor, Devlin Barrett, Ted Bridis, Eileen Sullivan, Barry Schweid and Brett Zongker in Washington contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Source

Here's a BBC report too.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
wow the islamo facists have white rednecks now, i guess the fbi were right, they are using white people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply

glo
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
wow the islamo facists have white rednecks now, i guess the fbi were right, they are using white people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just to clarify, you are being sarcastic ... right??! :uuh:

(I can never tell ...)
Reply

Clover
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
wow the islamo facists have white rednecks now, i guess the fbi were right, they are using white people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. Just Wow.

It is sad that people do this, but the world is not perfect. I hope the guard lives a good life, and may he be with his ancestors.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
joedawun
06-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
wow the islamo facists have white rednecks now, i guess the fbi were right, they are using white people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greetings, "The Prince"... You are going to have to do some work to make this into a situation that has anything to do with Muslims, or "Islamophobia".

Could you kindly provide links to any claims that this attack had anything to do with "islamo facists"? I have not been aware of any such speculation.

Perhaps you were just being sarcastic, as glo has suggested above. Please clarify for us...Thank you in advance!

JD
Reply

ardianto
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
wow the islamo facists have white rednecks now, i guess the fbi were right, they are using white people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are you talking about ?.
Oh no, no, don't tell me this white redneck is Von Brunn. As an Aryan racist he is not a Muslim and has no any relation with Muslim people. And even he hate Muslim people.

As a Muslim, don't ever call Islam as fascist, okay ?
Reply

aamirsaab
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
I detest neo-nazis; these ******* go around being racist; hurling abuse and killing non-white folk because they think they're superior - like it is a God-given right to be white. Freakin racist ****, I want to kick them all in their ***.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
06-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I think this has been given too much attention, 6000 news stories on google, heck that's more than the Air France crash.
Reply

Clover
06-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I detest neo-nazis; these asswipes go around being racist; hurling abuse and killing non-white folk because they think they're superior - like it is a God-given right to be white. Freakin racist ****, I want to kick them all in their ass.
Just to let you know, they kill white people too. White isn't their culture, Aryan is, and Aryan isn't neccessarily white. Hitler hated France, but they wer,e for the most part, white, he hated Russia, some of them were white. He believened a superior Germanic race, a race that was, what we'd call, and he probably would call a Upgraded White Race. He seen Whites as a second, while blacks, arabs, mexicans were third, but his Aryan was first.
Reply

Pomak
06-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Clover
Just to let you know, they kill white people too. White isn't their culture, Aryan is, and Aryan isn't neccessarily white. Hitler hated France, but they wer,e for the most part, white, he hated Russia, some of them were white. He believened a superior Germanic race, a race that was, what we'd call, and he probably would call a Upgraded White Race. He seen Whites as a second, while blacks, arabs, mexicans were third, but his Aryan was first.
Then how do you explain the neo-nazis in Russia?
Reply

Amadeus85
06-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pomak
Then how do you explain the neo-nazis in Russia?
Lack of brains plus "Daddy hit me when I was young".
Reply

Pomak
06-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Amadeus85
Lack of brains plus "Daddy hit me when I was young".
I was referring to this part
White isn't their culture, Aryan is
Reply

Clover
06-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Pomak
Then how do you explain the neo-nazis in Russia?
I do not explain for them. I do not know much about them.
Reply

Whatsthepoint
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Pomak
Then how do you explain the neo-nazis in Russia?
Even worse, in Israel!
Reply

Pomak
06-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Even worse, in Israel!
My point is that they are not subscribing to the aryan myth. Its plain and simple white nationalism.
Reply

Amadeus85
06-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pomak
My point is that they are not subscribing to the aryan myth. Its plain and simple white nationalism.
Their heads are so empty that it would be hard for them understand the aryan myth. However they distinguish colours.
Reply

Qingu
06-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
wow the islamo facists have white rednecks now, i guess the fbi were right, they are using white people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, we in America haven't heard much talk about "Islamofascists" since the new administration took over.

In fact, the most noteworthy report from the Department of Homeland Security recently was about violent threats from right-wing Christian fundamentalist and white supremacists. Like this guy. And like three other recent shooters.

I know it's easy and satisfying to demonize America as this monolithic mass of Muslim-hatred, but the reality is more complicated that. I hope you're willing to put your prejudices aside in the future.
Reply

جوري
06-14-2009, 05:29 AM
funny, (we) live in America too, and Muslims and their islamofascim is on the news daily.. even the two Haitian morons, who were herbing up bombed a synagogue, were made into Islamofascists. And one goldberg/stein came on TV even after the Imam of the mosque condemened these acts and said, we need to catch the flies that come out that cesspool .. along a many other hateful comments..

must live in a different states than the rest of us idealistic one!

you are only hated because you are hateful.. hate breeds hate!
Reply

Qingu
06-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
funny, (we) live in America too, and Muslims and their islamofascim is on the news daily.. even the two Haitian morons, who were herbing up bombed a synagogue, were made into Islamofascists. And one goldberg/stein came on TV even after the Imam of the mosque condemened these acts and said, we need to catch the flies that come out that cesspool .. along a many other hateful comments..
Are you watching Fox News?

I get my news from the New York Times. Haven't seen any talk of Islamofascism. Haven't heard any talk of it from the new administration either.

you are only hated because you are hateful.. hate breeds hate!
What have I said or done that is hateful?

Or are you saying you hate me—a liberal—because of the stupid things the Republicans in America do and say? Isn't that like hating all Muslims because of the stupid things the Taliban does and says?
Reply

جوري
06-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by Qingu
Are you watching Fox News?
Yes, and as much as I despise them and the way they dispense their bull, I can't stop watching!

I get my news from the New York Times. Haven't seen any talk of Islamofascism. Haven't heard any talk of it from the new administration either.


What have I said or done that is hateful?
perhaps I should make it better into monolithic mass of American-hatred!
Or are you saying you hate me—a liberal—because of the stupid things the Republicans in America do and say? Isn't that like hating all Muslims because of the stupid things the Taliban does and says?
see above!

all the best
Reply

Qingu
06-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Yes, and as much as I despise them and the way they dispense their bull, I can't stop watching!
Well, you've identified your problem. I hope you realize that it's silly to judge all of America by the crap you watch on Fox News.

perhaps I should make it better into monolithic mass of American-hatred!
I'm not sure what you mean. I truly am sorry that you seem to have so much hatred in your heart. Maybe you'd be less hateful if you stopped torturing yourself by watching Fox?
Reply

جوري
06-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by Qingu
Well, you've identified your problem. I hope you realize that it's silly to judge all of America by the crap you watch on Fox News.
Burying your head in the sand doesn't denote that a problem doesn't exist, wouldn't you agree?
Fox seems to echo a substantial percentage of American opinion.
a regime change doesn't denote a collective change of the entire country.. that is if I am to believe there is indeed a change and not merely in approach!


I'm not sure what you mean. I truly am sorry that you seem to have so much hatred in your heart. Maybe you'd be less hateful if you stopped torturing yourself by watching Fox?
I think you can as easily ascertain that, that was your direct quote, I merely changed Muslims for Americans ... and voila, you have an answer to where the hatred is spawned.. folks who seed it are sure to harvest it..

all the best
Reply

Qingu
06-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Burying your head in the sand doesn't denote that a problem doesn't exist, wouldn't you agree?
Fox seems to echo a substantial percentage of American opinion.
a regime change doesn't denote a collective change of the entire country.. that is if I am to believe there is indeed a change and not merely in approach!
There are more than 300 million people in America. Since the 70's, America has been pretty starkly divided into two camps. Liberals like me dislike the Republicans—the audience of Fox News—probably as much as you do.

You are correct. The Republicans are still around. But the demographics look optimistic—young people and minorities are much more often Democrats, which does not speak well for the Republicans. They are a powerful shrinking minority.

In any case, it certainly doesn't make sense to judge all 300 million Americans based only on the 50 million idiot hardcore Republican who are Fox News' audience.

I think you can as easily ascertain that, that was your direct quote, I merely changed America for Muslims... and voila, you have an answer to where the hatred is spawned.. folks who seed it are sure to harvest it..
I'm still not sure what you're saying.

You're saying it's okay to hate all Americans for the actions and belief of some Americans?

But it's not okay to hate all Muslims for the actions and beliefs of some Muslims?

How about we both agree not to generalize and prejudge people based on their nationality or religion?
Reply

جوري
06-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by Qingu
There are more than 300 million people in America. Since the 70's, America has been pretty starkly divided into two camps. Liberals like me dislike the Republicans—the audience of Fox News—probably as much as you do.

You are correct. The Republicans are still around. But the demographics look optimistic—young people and minorities are much more often Democrats, which does not speak well for the Republicans. They are a powerful shrinking minority.

In any case, it certainly doesn't make sense to judge all 300 million Americans based only on the 50 million idiot hardcore Republican who are Fox News' audience.
Where in my post have I judged 300 million Americans? given the number of millions in those that are Muslim, or Asians or Hawaiian, or that I myself am one and so are all my nieces and nephews, parents and siblings? how pedantic?
I don't believe that the repuke cons are a minority, they will merely change a few tactics and start anew, as they count on the stupidity of folks who think all is alright with the world before they strike.


I'm still not sure what you're saying.

You're saying it's okay to hate all Americans for the actions and belief of some Americans?

But it's not okay to hate all Muslims for the actions and beliefs of some Muslims?

How about we both agree not to generalize and prejudge people based on their nationality or religion?
I am not saying saying anything at all, I merely quoted you and changed one content word.. or what did you mean by judging all as one monolithic mass of Muslim hatred!

all the best
Reply

Qingu
06-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Where in my post have I judged 300 million Americans? given the number of millions in those that are Muslim, or Asians or Hawaiian, or that I myself am one and so are all my nieces and nephews, parents and siblings? how pedantic?
Then why did you say "you are only hated because you are hateful"? You seemed to be judging me—a liberal American—based on the hatefulness of other Americans that I think are embarassingly stupid.

I don't believe that the repuke cons are a minority,
Do you have any basis for your beliefs? All the demographic data makes it clear that they are a minority, especially among the younger generations and people of color.

I am not saying saying anything at all, I merely quoted you and changed one content word.. or what did you mean by one monolithic Muslim hate? that all Muslims are hateful?
I see. I think that's the source of our confusion.

I did not mean that all Muslims are hateful. I meant that you shouldn't think that all Americans hate Muslims just because Fox News and Republicans hate Muslims. As I said above, I was objecting to your apparent characterization of all Americans as "hateful." If you don't think this, then perhaps we can put it behind us?
Reply

جوري
06-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by Qingu
Then why did you say "you are only hated because you are hateful"? You seemed to be judging me—a liberal American—based on the hatefulness of other Americans that I think are embarassingly stupid.
You are familiar with third person pronouns and verbs?


Do you have any basis for your beliefs? All the demographic data makes it clear that they are a minority, especially among the younger generations and people of color.
a minority in such a case denotes holding minority position.. just because Obama is president doesn't mean he is a representative of the whole -- they actually lag behind in many facets.. pls don't ask me to back this up now as I am completely under the weather and doped on meds..


also

I see. I think that's the source of our confusion.

I did not mean that all Muslims are hateful. I meant that you shouldn't think that all Americans hate Muslims just because Fox News and Republicans hate Muslims. As I said above, I was objecting to your apparent characterization of all Americans as "hateful." If you don't think this, then perhaps we can put it behind us?
Indeed, my humble apologies, I am on anticholinergic meds for allergies and such they are skewing my reading and judgement ..

all the best
Reply

Qingu
06-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Salam, no problem. And I certainly hope you're wrong about Republicans being a majority. :)
Reply

جوري
06-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks.. gnight
Reply

7oor El 3ayn
06-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I detest neo-nazis; these asswipes go around being racist; hurling abuse and killing non-white folk because they think they're superior - like it is a God-given right to be white. Freakin racist ****, I want to kick them all in their ass.
Asalamu 3alaykum!

Sub7anALLAH...I wish you wouldn't use such language, it is not befitting a Muslim. Thank you in advance. wasalamu 3alaykum
Reply

Suomipoika
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
you are only hated because you are hateful.. hate breeds hate!
Priceless :D
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 02:35 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 08:05 PM
  4. Replies: 100
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!