/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cat Stevens

Tony
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Whats going on with Yusuf Islam ? I saw him on tv dressed in leather jacket and t shirt, when asked about beard he said it saves the hassle of shaving (we all know hes muslim.) and now he is releasing an album of cat stevens back catalogue songs. V differrent from the Yusuf Islam I saw calling for the death of Salman Rushdie all those years ago dressed with prayer cap, etc. This is not an attempt to back bite, but why does there seem to be an exemtion being made for him to carry on in the music business largely supported by kuffar. Any thoughts on this ? THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO RIP INTO HIM I just think maybe its giving out a mixed msg to other muslims, and non-believers. Edit to add, the report was on sky news !

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
06-12-2009, 07:23 AM
My hubby bought me the CD Yusuf Islam released a year or so ago, because I have always liked his singing voice.
It is called 'An Other Cup', and the songs are what I would describe as 'worship songs' - not Islamic per se, but certainly not nonIslamic (if you know what I mean).

The listener could make of the songs whatevers/he wished - they could be songs about Allah/God, or simply love songs ...

BlissfullyJaded
06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
:sl:

He is still Muslim, because that is what he says, therefore we should not judge otherwise.

But yes, he picked up the guitar once again after stating he would never because he knew very well it's haraam. Now he's saying there's a difference of opinion!

I just think maybe its giving out a mixed msg to other muslims, and non-believers
I guess in the end of the day, people gotta do their own research, rather than be affected by such messages. Nobody's perfect, so we can't really blame people for the path we take...

Ah well. May Allah guide him and us all. Ameen.

Tony
06-12-2009, 07:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

He is still Muslim, because that is what he says, therefore we should not judge otherwise.

But yes, he picked up the guitar once again after stating he would never because he knew very well it's haraam. Now he's saying there's a difference of opinion!

I guess in the end of the day, people gotta do their own research, rather than be affected by such messages. Nobody's perfect, so we can't really blame people for the path we take...

Ah well. May Allah guide him and us all. Ameen.
P.EACE SISTER, SORY IF IT APPEARS i MAY BE SAYING HES NOT MUSLIM OR JUDGING HIM, NOT MY INTENTION. May Allahs blessings and guidance be upon brother Yusuf,Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM

I know it's not your intent, it's just that it could be misinterpreted that way when you said:
is the brother still a Muslim now
Ameen to the dua. :)

Tony
06-12-2009, 08:08 AM

I know it's not your intent, it's just that it could be misinterpreted that way when you said:

Ameen to the dua. :)
Thankyou sister I have edited now, you were right

wth1257
06-13-2009, 04:19 PM

There is some nuance from what I understand. I recall reading in Al Ghazali's "The Alchemy of Happiness" a hadith he use to defend Sufi's using music in worship.

Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v:

The Two Festivals (Eids) - Narrated Aisha: Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Apostle !" It happened on the 'Id day and Allah's Apostle said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an 'Id for every nation and this is our 'Id."

BlissfullyJaded
06-13-2009, 06:00 PM
The musical instrument in use there was there was the daf, which is halaal because of that hadeeth. And still in regards to the daf, the preferred opinion is that it is used during times of festivities, and not all the time. Using the guitar, piano, drums, etc is still considered haraam.

"The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa (adultery), silk, alcohol and musical instruments…
[Bukhari, Tabaraani, and Bayhaqi]

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)"

Chuck
06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
musical instrustments of strings were used by *****houses at that time. Still in the sub-continent they are popular in that area. Daf at that time was not known to be used as such but it is now.

Zafran
06-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Salaam

Yusuf Islam NEVER called for the death of Rushide - that was media hype - he said that on a interview.

peace

Banu_Hashim
06-13-2009, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

Yusuf Islam NEVER called for the death of Rushide - that was media hype - he said that on a interview.

peace
No, he himself did not call for it. But he did say, that if he knew the whereabouts of Salman Rushdie, he would phone up the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him. There was footage of him saying it, in the Salman Rushdie documentary by the BBC. Anyone else watch it?

Al-Zaara
06-13-2009, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
My hubby bought me the CD Yusuf Islam released a year or so ago, because I have always liked his singing voice.
It is called 'An Other Cup', and the songs are what I would describe as 'worship songs' - not Islamic per se, but certainly not nonIslamic (if you know what I mean).

The listener could make of the songs whatevers/he wished - they could be songs about Allah/God, or simply love songs ...
It was published in 2006.

I've never felt his songs were "Islamic" in the sense some people would expect such a song to be. I feel it can be Islamic without needing to use 'certain' words to emphazise it has "Islam" in it.

I think the lyrics to the song in that particular album, "Don't Let Me be Misunderstood", would most certainly fit here to remember. :) And I certainly wouldn't judge him for wearing a leather-jacket and a t-shirt to have become, astagfirullah, "less religious".

Just my two millions. (two cents, I know)

Tony
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

peace
I saw it and he definatley said that salman rushdie should be killed bro

Tony
06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
It was published in 2006.

I've never felt his songs were "Islamic" in the sense some people would expect such a song to be. I feel it can be Islamic without needing to use 'certain' words to emphazise it has "Islam" in it.

I think the lyrics to the song in that particular album, "Don't Let Me be Misunderstood", would most certainly fit here to remember. :) And I certainly wouldn't judge him for wearing a leather-jacket and a t-shirt to have become, astagfirullah, "less religious".

Just my two millions. (two cents, I know)
I didnt want diss the brother, I am saying that b4 this he wore clothes that befitted sunnah. Anyway I didnt want to riddicule him. Allahs peace be upon him, Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.