/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Abu Hanifa and Some Atheists - Debate Thread.

Güven
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
:sl:

This thread wasn't made with the intentions to debate.
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-athiests.html

and I didn't want to remove all the posts there , so I made this thread instead and moved all those (debating) posts here.

even though I think this has been discussed many times.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Thinker
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
He replied, "Wretches! And yet you say that all these existant beings, in the higher and lower worlds, and every intricately precise thing they contain, have no maker?"
And did he also tell them that thunder was a sign of the maker's anger and that plagues and famine were the maker's way of punishing those that did not worship him? And, who made the maker?

GreyKode
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
And did he also tell them that thunder was a sign of the maker's anger and that plagues and famine were the maker's way of punishing those that did not worship him?
Is that youre understanding of a maker?

Zafran
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
And did he also tell them that thunder was a sign of the maker's anger and that plagues and famine were the maker's way of punishing those that did not worship him? And, who made the maker?
you need to get your head out of the christain europe - the maker is the uncreated cause as nothing goes back to infinity.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Foxhole
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
you need to get your head out of the christain europe - the maker is the uncreated cause as nothing goes back to infinity.
1)

If the maker can exist yet be uncreated, why can't the universe?

2)

Wny is an infinite past harder to accept than an uncreated entity?

Zafran
06-10-2009, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Foxhole
1)

2)

Wny is an infinite past harder to accept than an uncreated entity?
1 - Big bang theory - who made thebig bang on and on to the maker - first cause.

2 - can things keep going back forever and and ever? there has to be a first cause otherwise we would keep going back and back to infinity - which doesnt exist - so it stops somewhere - to the maker. - infinite regress.

Intresting lecture where i got this from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r0p-hMNEY

Wyatt
06-11-2009, 12:34 AM
This is a good reasoning for religious people, but it leaves the evidence of the theory of evolution as a good arguement.

However, thinking about stuff like this and thinking about evolution, I am changing my way of life as Agnostic now. Though, that does not mean I am leaning towards Islam or any religion in this issue (if anything, towards a kind of... deterministic nihilism).

I am simply in the middle and have been, actually. :exhausted

By the way, I don't know why this is so convincing for Muslims. Atheists see humans as evolved after billions of years and don't fall too easily for the "suddenly put together" arguement.

Zafran
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
This is a good reasoning for religious people, but it leaves the evidence of the theory of evolution as a good arguement.

However, thinking about stuff like this and thinking about evolution, I am changing my way of life as Agnostic now. Though, that does not mean I am leaning towards Islam or any religion in this issue (if anything, towards a kind of... deterministic nihilism).

I am simply in the middle and have been, actually. :exhausted

By the way, I don't know why this is so convincing for Muslims. Atheists see humans as evolved after billions of years and don't fall too easily for the "suddenly put together" arguement.
so do you believe everything happend by random chance?

Azy
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sayf Udeen
Could you please enlighten us as to what is wrong with the reasoning?
I can't speak for Clover but in my opinion also the reasoning is faulty.

It's basically a different spin on the watchmaker argument. From our experience we know ships are man-made for a purpose defined by man. You can go to the shipyard and watch them being built.

The argument by Hanifa is basically "Aha! So if a ship is so obviously created and controlled by a maker/guide then so is every other complex thing".

Except that we do have experience of animals and plants and other things being created and it's not by some supernatural maker. They reproduce sexually (usually), Mummy and Daddy cat get together and make baby cat.
I've never seen or heard of a cat appearing out of nowhere or being created from dust or anything else out of a religious creation story, so why would I assume that they are true when there's a perfectly reasonable alternative that I've seen with my own eyes?

2 - can things keep going back forever and and ever? there has to be a first cause otherwise we would keep going back and back to infinity - which doesnt exist - so it stops somewhere - to the maker. - infinite regress.
At what point did the maker start existing and what happened to start it?

Zafran
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
At what point did your great, great, great , great, great, great ,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,grea,gr eat,great, great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great Grandma exsist and what happend to start it?

Azy
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I would suggest (give what I know about humans) that my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Grandma and Grandad got a bit familiar and nine months later out she popped.

You haven't answered my question.

Zafran
06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
I would suggest (give what I know about humans) that my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Grandma and Grandad got a bit familiar and nine months later out she popped.

You haven't answered my question.
at what point did this happen - and how can you be 100% sure thats exactly how it happend - I am trying to answer your question - we're going back in time - first we have to find at what point did your great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Grandma existed so we can go further back until we get to the maker.

Clover
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sayf Udeen
What I find good is a few snide comments; one in particular...

Clover:
I figured out the point. Good story, although I have to laugh at the reasoning, it's a good story.

Could you please enlighten us as to what is wrong with the reasoning?
...wow. :exhausted

Just to clue you in, I really didn't get it at first, I had (I do believe) first posted, can someone explain it, when I did, I had to laugh at my own ignorance in figuring it out. Now I have to laugh at your assumption.

I never said anything was wrong with the reasoning. You might wana ask if someone means for it to be a malicious comment, before you assume it is. :raging:

جوري
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM

[2:22] Who has made the earth your couch, and the heavens your canopy; and sent down rain from the heavens; and brought forth therewith fruits for your sustenance;---

[2:164]
Behold! In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the Night and the Day; in the sailing of the ships through the Ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds and the clouds which they trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth, (here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.

[2:265]
And the likeness of those who spend their substance, seeking to please Allah and to strengthen their souls, is as a garden, high and fertile; heavy rain falls on it but makes it yield a double increase of harvest, and if it receives not heavy rain, light moisture sufficeth it. Allah seeth well whatever ye do.

[6:6] See they not how many of those before them We did destroy? - Generations We had established on the earth, in strength such as We have not given to you - for whom we poured out rain from the skies in abundance, and gave (fertile) streams flowing beneath their (feet):

6:99]
It is He Who sendeth down rain from the skies; with it We produce vegetation of all kinds: from some We produce green (crops), out of which We produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near: and (then there are) gardens of grapes, and olives, and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety): when they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with the fruit and the ripeness thereof. Behold! in these things there are Signs for people who believe.

[7:57] It is He Who sendeth the Winds like heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy: when they have carried the heavy-laden clouds, We drive them to a land that is dead, make rain to descend thereon, and produce every kind of harvest therewith: thus shall We raise up the dead perchance ye may remember

[8:11]
Remember He covered you with a sort of drowsiness, to give you calm as from Himself, and He caused rain to descend on you from heaven, to clean you therewith, to remove from you the stain of Satan, to strengthen your hearts, and to plant your feet firmly therewith.

[10:24]

The likeness of the life of the Present is as the rain which We send down from the skies: by its mingling arises the produce of the earth, which provides food for men and animals: (it grows) till the earth is clad with its golden ornaments and is decked out (in beauty): the people to whom it belongs think they have all powers of disposal over it: there reaches it Our command by night or by day, and We make it like a harvest clean-mown, as if it had not flourished only the day before! thus do We explain the Signs in detail for those who reflect.

I am at a loss as to what you base your opinion on? ills that befell people who were mentioned were a direct result of their tyranny and their deeds are so mentioned-- you are not fit to judge who is deserving of punishment!

.we are created otherwise to be tried: ( I don't know what you think your purpose is here on earth) but I guarantee it will not sway much beyond the seven universal themes ..

[90:4] Verily We have created man into toil and struggle.

you are not God to decide who was sinful and who is being tested..

Isn't it kind of embarrassing to make false assumptions, and present it as facts to theists? are you hoping we'd be as unread and presumptuous as your average atheist?

your latter question is a logical fallacy.

Azy
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
at what point did this happen - and how can you be 100% sure thats exactly how it happend
Well I can never be 100% sure of anything. Based on the fact that my ancestors were most likely human it's reasonable to assume it happened that way. If you're really interested I could ask my father to go through his research and see if he can find you her name and date of birth, my family has lived in this area for about 900 years.
I am trying to answer your question - we're going back in time
Don't think I don't understand you, I know exactly what you're saying.
I wasn't really expecting an answer such as "the creator appeared at 16,534BC on a thursday afternoon".
You state that Allah created everything but he hasn't been around forever. The problem I and other non-religious people have is that you seem to find it perfectly acceptable for God to *pop* into existence without a cause or a maker, but it is totally unacceptable for you to think that the universe might have come about like this.

It's such an obviously human thing to do to assume that everything must have a cause and a reason, simply because that's how we go about things.

People are presented with the problem of an uncreated universe and replace it with an uncreated universe creator.

Thinker
06-11-2009, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Abu Hanifah Rahimullah replied, 'If you cannot believe that a boat came into being without a boat maker, than this is only a boat, how can you believe that the whole world, the universe, the stars, the oceans, and the planets came into being without a creator?
In the example given here the narrator asks why “If you cannot believe that a boat came into being without a boat maker, than this is only a boat, how can you believe that the . . . universe came into being without a creator?

The answer is because people know how boats are created and know that they don’t just magically appear and although they don’t know how the universe was created they know that man has witnessed many amazing natural events that the ancients previously put down to the work of God and now they know that are ‘natural events, science has proved them not to be the work of God.

So using the same logic as used by Abu Hanifah Rahimullah one could argue that as man once ascribed lightning, famines and plagues to work of God and now science has proved them to be natural events then science will ultimately find proof that all those things we ascribe to be the work of God to be natural and explainable events; it’s the same type of reasoning.

- Qatada -
06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Science does not disprove God, we just understand His creation better through it.

Who created God? God is uncreated by definition.

Also see;
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ally-good.html

جوري
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
In the example given here the narrator asks why “If you cannot believe that a boat came into being without a boat maker, than this is only a boat, how can you believe that the . . . universe came into being without a creator?
The answer is because people know how boats are created and know that they don’t just magically appear and although they don’t know how the universe was created they know that man has witnessed many amazing natural events that the ancients previously put down to the work of God and now they know that are ‘natural events, science has proved them not to be the work of God.
Science can't prove or disprove whether or not it is the work of God, only that it is witnessed-- Nothing in science at the very core of will give you a cause or intention underlying an action-- it will merely give you a how and in many cases only to a particular extent!.. take any cycle in the human body.. say glycolysis,
why do we have glycolysis? to harness energy-- why do we need energy?-- to do work, why do we need to do work? to thrive-- why do we need to thrive? how did the body know to incorporate this cycle? how did it come to be in harmony and in this ten step wise process? how do most monosaccharides know to enter this cycle, at set points, how does this cycle know when to have a rate limiting step, or work harmoniously with others so that there are no futile cycles etc-- does science have an answer to any of those? no, only that it exists, that it is wonderful, that if you have a problem at this stage or that stage, you'll have an anemia or petrous teeth or left output heart failure or or or.. none you'll notice actually address the most important questions.. the deep ones of the ages. you are taking it from the deep of very superficial when you attempt and rightfully so to explain it, but you'll only go so far, although you are certainly welcome to the day when science offers you all the answers, right after it finds a cure for the common cold!

Has science an answer for why they happen 'naturally' on their 'own volition'? as for the term 'Natural' you have but imaginary standard by which things are measured or compared.. if you didn't have things as they are, how would you define "natural' in fact what appears 'Natural' to you is quite phenomenal, not only are you unable to re-produce it to establish it as natural but you suffer greatly when missing it, any lowly enzyme in your body that you don't have a name to, will guarantee you a form of suffering that you'd pay a fortune for some doctor/scientist to synthesize using vectors or liposomes or stem research or as body parts from some worthless sap etc.

Notice all that sophistication and yet people are done in by a microorganism 50 to 120nm in diameter...

Is it any wonder that those who appreciate the creator's power the most are scientists and not those who feign being scientists?

[35:28] ---- This is why the people who truly reverence GOD are those who are knowledgeable. GOD is Almighty, Forgiving.

So using the same logic as used by Abu Hanifah Rahimullah one could argue that as man once ascribed lightning, famines and plagues to work of God and now science has proved them to be natural events then science will ultimately find proof that all those things we ascribe to be the work of God to be natural and explainable events; it’s the same type of reasoning.
see above explanation including that illusive definition of 'Natural'--scientists merely gave you some basic steps to its mechanics, they have neither explained why they exist to begin with, how they came about in this planet or why under perfectly 'natural' conditions, the clouds behave in what seems to them a stochastic processes they look gravid, thunder and lightening yet give no rain, it rains when it isn't supposed to rain, all conditions favoring rain yet no rain at all.... in fact it is all planned, whether or not you wish to ascribe it to a creator.

all the best

Zafran
06-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Well I can never be 100% sure of anything. Based on the fact that my ancestors were most likely human it's reasonable to assume it happened that way. If you're really interested I could ask my father to go through his research and see if he can find you her name and date of birth, my family has lived in this area for about 900 years.
Don't think I don't understand you, I know exactly what you're saying.
I wasn't really expecting an answer such as "the creator appeared at 16,534BC on a thursday afternoon".
You state that Allah created everything but he hasn't been around forever. The problem I and other non-religious people have is that you seem to find it perfectly acceptable for God to *pop* into existence without a cause or a maker, but it is totally unacceptable for you to think that the universe might have come about like this.

It's such an obviously human thing to do to assume that everything must have a cause and a reason, simply because that's how we go about things.

People are presented with the problem of an uncreated universe and replace it with an uncreated universe creator.
Yes i knew that you knew where this little talk was heading.

Its true it is a very human thing to think that every thing has a cause and a reason unlike the other direction where the universe has no cause - which doesnt seem to sit well with the human Psyche - on religous terms we call that going against Fithrah.

ps - I never stated the bold.

Azy
06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes i knew that you knew where this little talk was heading.
Well I wasn't expecting that you were stupid or had never considered this before, but it's pretty inevitable that the subject would steer in this direction, it's the one of the most glaring problems with creation from an outsiders point of view.
ps - I never stated the bold.
Well it wasn't a direct quote, you said:

I simply presumed you believe God created everything (in the beginning), correct me if I'm wrong.

And the nothingness said, "Let there be God," and there was God. Nothingness saw that the God was good.

جوري
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
nothingness is a state of nonexistence..nonexistence can't give rise to existence...
.. beingness can however give rise to existence, as well contrast it with its opposite state so we can distinguish the difference. ..

Zafran
06-11-2009, 11:38 PM
And the nothingness said, "Let there be God," and there was God. Nothingness saw that the God was good.
I agree with the below

nothingness is a state of nonexistence..nonexistence can't give rise to existence...
.. beingness can however give rise to existence, as well contrast it with its opposite state so we can distinguish the difference. ..

Thinker
06-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Respected Skye,

So where did God come from – the nothingness? There was nothing one day and suddenly God appeared? How is that any easier to believe?

Maybe God did come from nothingness and maybe he didn’t but just because you and I don’t know how it all started and cannot (yet) comprehend something coming from nothing doesn’t mean there can only be one possibility – God. That question is just one more question that science will eventually answer.

All that aside, I understand that to follow any religion you must accept all the God stories, put those nagging questions to one side and ‘have faith,’ what I am struggling to come to terms with is how someone as intelligent, well read and free thinking could promote the boat story as anything more than smoke and mirrors.

Tony
06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
A protein is made up of 500-1000 Amino acids, in sequence. The probability of another being correct is 10(950), thats 10 plus 950 zeros ! Thee simplest cells have 2,000 proteins !! The most important protein is Cytochrome - C which is responsible for oxygen respiration it is extremely complex and cannot have developed by chance.The Turkish evolutionist Ali Demirsoy states, it is "as unlikely as the possibility of a monkey writing the history of humanity on a typewriter without making any mistakes."
Of course there is even more incredible data conscerning DNA and the storage capacity of cells etc. But surely you cannot expect a person with the ability of reasoning to believe in life from naught,even Darwins explanation of evolving species is baing disproved constantly, mutations have and never will result in any new species, Dna is a set of commands that are non negotiable. There is a creator, the abilirty to look at things intensley dictates that it is obvious. Common sense also dictates that the creator is Allah Almighty, due to the line of prophats(pbut) and the revealed scriptures and books. Its simple, Allah created us, if you really look with an open mind, it is obvious. Bismilahir Rahmanir Rahim, Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil Alamin, Ar Rahmanir Rahim

Clover
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
A protein is made up of 500-1000 Amino acids, in sequence. The probability of another being correct is 10(950), thats 10 plus 950 zeros ! Thee simplest cells have 2,000 proteins !! The most important protein is Cytochrome - C which is responsible for oxygen respiration it is extremely complex and cannot have developed by chance.The Turkish evolutionist Ali Demirsoy states, it is "as unlikely as the possibility of a monkey writing the history of humanity on a typewriter without making any mistakes."
Of course there is even more incredible data conscerning DNA and the storage capacity of cells etc. But surely you cannot expect a person with the ability of reasoning to believe in life from naught,even Darwins explanation of evolving species is baing disproved constantly, mutations have and never will result in any new species, Dna is a set of commands that are non negotiable. There is a creator, common sense and the abilirty to look at things intensley dictates that it is obvious. Common sense also dictates that the creator is Allah Almighty, due to the line of prophats(pbut) and the revealed scriptures and books. Its simple, Allah created us, if you really look with an open mind, it is obvious. Bismilahir Rahmanir Rahim, Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil Alamin, Ar Rahmanir Rahim
Although, I love how Islam has a lot of information, I do not think it's right to say Common sense says it's right. I have seen that said in a Christian forum too, and I think both are wrong to say.

Tony
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
Although, I love how Islam has a lot of information, I do not think it's right to say Common sense says it's right. I have seen that said in a Christian forum too, and I think both are wrong to say.
I disagree absolutely, I do not mean it in a derogatory sense. What else should I call it, it is impossible for me to see any other route for the existence of creation than saying common sense, pls dont be offended, rather spend the energy contemplating the incredible circumstances in which we are and came to exist. Peace:)

Clover
06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I disagree absolutely, I do not mean it in a derogatory sense. What else should I call it, it is impossible for me to see any other route for the existence of creation than saying common sense, pls dont be offended, rather spend the energy contemplating the incredible circumstances in which we are and came to exist. Peace:)
If that's the case, then it's impossible to call it common sense, cause you stated you believe, so it wouldn't be common. I think it'd be better to be called something like "in my opinoin the only sensible", but I am not offended, simply do not like statements like that.

Tony
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
If that's the case, then it's impossible to call it common sense, cause you stated you believe, so it wouldn't be common. I think it'd be better to be called something like "in my opinoin the only sensible", but I am not offended, simply do not like statements like that.
I have edited. Tho debating the words I used should not detract from the ineffible evidence produced in the post. Peace to all

Thinker
06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Its simple, Allah created us, if you really look with an open mind, it is obvious.
So who created Allah, did God just pop up from nowhere, one second there was nothing, then there was God? If you struggle to believe that the complexities of life are simply a developmental process how can you stretch your mind to believe that a God came to be from nothing and came to be with Godly powers! And, if your answer is that because you are merely human you don't have the capcity to understand something (God) coming from nothing then that also applies to the possibility that the first tangible matter came from something intangible i.e. because you find it difficult to accept as a possibility doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You believe that God created the universe because that's what you want to believe, not because it's obvious.

Zafran
06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
So who created Allah, did God just pop up from nowhere, one second there was nothing, then there was God? If you struggle to believe that the complexities of life are simply a developmental process how can you stretch your mind to believe that a God came to be from nothing and came to be with Godly powers! And, if your answer is that because you are merely human you don't have the capcity to understand something (God) coming from nothing then that also applies to the possibility that the first tangible matter came from something intangible i.e. because you find it difficult to accept as a possibility doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You believe that God created the universe because that's what you want to believe, not because it's obvious.
preety simple - there is an explanation as stated before - God is the maker where the chain stops - we cant go forever and say who made that - next who made that because infinity does not exist (otherwise you get to absurdities) - you must have heard of the argumnet and the idea of infinite regress? have you not?

Zafran
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
The explanition of God sits well in the human psyche as i stated before - its known as the fitrah.

Clover
06-12-2009, 02:04 PM
The TTC actually has a very awesome statement to this, here it is:

"Tao produces One,
One produces Two,
Two produces Three,
Three produce Myriad Things"

It goes on, but figured I'd stop, I am typing this while holding open the book, while trying not to bend it at all lol.

Tony
06-12-2009, 02:35 PM

haha, you are adamant to keep your head buried arent you, Ok look whats time ? its nothing why does there have to be a begining or end as we percieve it. You choose to the words "one minute nothing , then there was God" not me. Yes I am happy to let it go that I am human and cannot comprehend the nature of out obvious creator. If you cannoy see that then ok, but you do not have a right to try and trip up muslims from thier belief just to justify your lack of ubderstanding our place in existence. We are Muslims and therefore we know the truth, I find nothing difficult when examining the origins of the world, or matter. Allah created me, this is enough. You choose not to believe and I am sorry for you, but its your loss. What answers have you come to regarding the origins of existence, and I ask with a genuine desire to know and nothing more. Peace

Pygoscelis
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
preety simple - there is an explanation as stated before - God is the maker where the chain stops - we cant go forever and say who made that - next who made that because infinity does not exist (otherwise you get to absurdities) - you must have heard of the argumnet and the idea of infinite regress? have you not?
Infinite regress does appear to lead to absurdities. But it is very debatable which is more absurd:

1. Infinite Regress
2. Spontaneous creation from nothing
3. Magical being who has always existed brought the universe into being with only its thoughts.

format_quote Originally Posted by Qatada
Science does not disprove God, we just understand His creation better through it.
This I agree with in a sense. Science can never prove or disprove God because God is not falsifiable. God is about faith, not evidence. As Thinker has said, people believe in God because they want to, not because there is objective evidence to.

Zafran
06-12-2009, 07:08 PM
3. Magical being who has always existed brought the universe into being with only its thoughts
2 - who said the first maker was a creation?
3 - magical being? nobody said anything about magically being or that the maker brought the universe by its own thoughts?

I would agree that the existence of God is faith/philosophical based question and not a science one. - Science can only take us so far.

Clover
06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
So, are we basically debating God's existence?

Zafran
06-12-2009, 07:27 PM
So, are we basically debating God's existence?
dont realy think we are

we should just wait until we die and see what happens.

Clover
06-12-2009, 07:29 PM
dont realy think we are

we should just wait until we die and see what happens.
Eh, I hope their is more then just death. I think their is, but what, I do not know. I hope maybe their is a spirit relm, where I can meet my ancestors, and meet the ones that died in battle and commerate them. I have only one wish, to be remembered. If I had the assurance that I'd be remembered internationally before I die, I'd die a very happy man. I think I'll die happy either way, if I die in war then at least I was doing something, and if I die old, at least I can say I did my best.

Zafran
06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Eh, I hope their is more then just death. I think their is, but what, I do not know. I hope maybe their is a spirit relm, where I can meet my ancestors, and meet the ones that died in battle and commerate them. I have only one wish, to be remembered. If I had the assurance that I'd be remembered internationally before I die, I'd die a very happy man. I think I'll die happy either way, if I die in war then at least I was doing something, and if I die old, at least I can say I did my best.
what about accountablity for your actions after you die?

Clover
06-12-2009, 08:04 PM
what about accountablity for your actions after you die?
You mean whether I will be punished for any evil or awarded for any good I did?

Zafran
06-12-2009, 08:40 PM
You mean whether I will be punished for any evil or awarded for any good I did?

yep.

Clover
06-12-2009, 09:05 PM
yep.
Why should I contemplate it? I think it would be a waste of time. What happens, happens. Who would punish me? My ancestors?

Zafran
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Why should I contemplate it? I think it would be a waste of time. What happens, happens. Who would punish me? My ancestors?
No the one that made all your ancestors would. So you think being moral and unmoral has no bearing on your afterlife? you just eat, drink go to sleep and die and never contemplate if at all it realy matters at all?

Azy
06-13-2009, 12:15 AM
There are some other points I'd like to address but it's late so I'll do that tomorrow.

In response to the post by TKTony about complexity and creation (though I would appreciate comments from any other creationists)...

Given that you believe DNA exhibits properties such as incredible complexity and functionality which point to it's origins as the creation of an intelligent being, could you tell me what the characteristics are of things which are not created and possibly give me some examples of those things?

جوري
06-13-2009, 12:37 AM
There are some other points I'd like to address but it's late so I'll do that tomorrow.

In response to the post by TKTony about complexity and creation (though I would appreciate comments from any other creationists)...

Given that you believe DNA exhibits properties such as incredible complexity and functionality which point to it's origins as the creation of an intelligent being, could you tell me what the characteristics are of things which are not created and possibly give me some examples of those things?
nothing in our physical world (realm) is uncreated.. no examples can be given.. there is no such a word in the dictionary even as 'uncreated' for one to identify for you things that aren't!
everything in our known universe has to come out of something else or a combination of other things...

p.s: Notice I wrote (our universe/our known universe/our physical world)
our laws and understanding doesn't compass the creator only the created.. so we won't keep going about in circles.. whatever complexities and informal objections atheists have toward a supreme being must be handled in their own private time, since they make up definitionsthat don't fit any standard understanding of "God''.

all the best

جوري
06-13-2009, 01:15 AM
3. Magical being who has always existed brought the universe into being with only its thoughts.

what an absurd statement:

Not knowing anything about the supreme being doesn't denote a 'magical being' -- simply denotes your inability to compass the nature of that being...

Do you find the light cone theory equally magical?

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/modul...minkowski.html

and the second how is it that you know the universe was conceived out of thoughts?

You have no set definition as there are none of what God is-- and I am not sure anyone is interested in the reductionist definition of atheists,as their whole world doesn't seem to rise above that pedantic mentality where God has to be either a celestial teapot or a man who died in Galilee...

Indeed a belief in God is the natural way of being not otherwise

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ic-claims.html

Pygoscelis
06-13-2009, 01:44 AM
No the one that made all your ancestors would. So you think being moral and unmoral has no bearing on your afterlife? you just eat, drink go to sleep and die and never contemplate if at all it realy matters at all?
Do you require a reward and punishment dynamic handed down from a god in order to live a peaceful and constructive life? I don't think you do. I think you have a moral compass completely independent of this reward/punishment dynamic from your religion.

Pygoscelis
06-13-2009, 01:48 AM
magical being? nobody said anything about magically being or that the maker brought the universe by its own thoughts?
My point is that the idea of a always existing all powerful all knowing "God" making the universe out of nothing but itself is just as absurd to many of us as infinite regress.

The honest answer to these questions is rarely given on these boards. It is "I DON'T KNOW". Its very freeing to be able to be so honest with yourself. Its even more freeing to realize that the origin of the universe doesn't matter anyway.

Pygoscelis
06-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Not knowing anything about the supreme being doesn't denote a 'magical being' -- simply denotes your inability to compass the nature of that being...
"Magical" and not understanding how it works is part of the foundation of the concept of any God. If you could explain all about God and how he/she/it works etc, it would cease to be "miraculous" and wouldn't be seen as a "God". It'd be seen as some sort of alien creature.The mystical and magical is core to Gods and religion, hence the term "Mysticism". Where there are no gaps to fill you don't need a God to fill them. By creating the god of the gaps you are skipping over admitting you simply don't know something and attributing it to mystical and magical forces you call Gods.

HopeFul
06-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Reading the thread surprises me how people are so strong in their beliefs, so much so that they would not look eyond them and consider it a falsehood or misunderstanding.

Pygoscelis, have you ever tried to understand the concept of God? I think many of us have tried to understand the non existance of God, i maan why people believe that and HOW people people that. Not that because it makes sense but because it is rational to put yourself in another's shoes before telling them they are wrong or inviting them to the truth.

I think that perhaps you should try and think from a believer's point of view, the notion of God, especially as Allah. Perhaps you should try and imagine yourself as a believer and look it up in the HOly books with an open mind, then look at the facts, because right now, whatever anyone says you are just trying to prove your way of life/point of view/belief right.

It is not a competition.

All of us do it, we are just keep on being rigid throughout our lives, instead of thinking out of the box, what a shame!

I think it would be useless for me to be a part of the debate as such, I see no use for it.

Pygoscelis
06-13-2009, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HopeFul
Pygoscelis, have you ever tried to understand the concept of God? I think many of us have tried to understand the non existance of God, i maan why people believe that and HOW people people that. Not that because it makes sense but because it is rational to put yourself in another's shoes before telling them they are wrong or inviting them to the truth.
There are many concepts of God. Possibly infinite such concepts. But if we talk bare theism, that is belief in Gods without any specific trappings most of them do have certain things in common.

.Perhaps you should try and imagine yourself as a believer and look it up in the HOly books with an open mind
Most atheists have done that. In fact many, if not most, are former theists. It is pretty much impossible not to have done as you suggest given the theistic culture that we live in. That you assume I have not I won't take as offensive, but others may.

It is not a competition.
Note, I didn't start this thread (or the one it split from). We atheists were specifically invited to it. If you don't want to know the views of the other side then you shouldn't ask (or read threads in which people are asking). If in a thread like this somebody makes a point, I feel perfectly ok with presenting the other side of the coin. If I just agreed with them to avoid conflict it'd make for a pretty meaningless thread, no? Note I don't go around calling people names, I just present some non-islamic thoughts.

I myself am actually not very concerned anymore with why people believe in religions (I used to focus on that). I'm now far more concerned with the thought processes these beliefs lead to and actions resulting from them, be that charity or atrocity.

جوري
06-13-2009, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
"Magical" and not understanding how it works is part of the foundation of the concept of any God. If you could explain all about God and how he/she/it works etc, it would cease to be "miraculous" and wouldn't be seen as a "God". It'd be seen as some sort of alien creature.The mystical and magical is core to Gods and religion, hence the term "Mysticism". Where there are no gaps to fill you don't need a God to fill them. By creating the god of the gaps you are skipping over admitting you simply don't know something and attributing it to mystical and magical forces you call Gods.

No, it isn't part of the foundation of the concept of God. It is part of your desired understanding of God because it lowers it to the atheist low common denominator and it is a comfort zone, so long as your mind justifies to you that, God ia magical being, can you exempt yourself from basic duties as a human being or loan them your desired 'morality' or understanding!

There is alot you can't explain that is perfectly logical. Simply on your human level I can almost guarantee that you can't explain the Luzin theorem and right-hand sides of differential inclusions, in the least you'd either have someone explain it to you if your brain can grasp it all together as it is still conceived by man... it doesn't make it magical, or miraculous, it just means for all you think you are or know, you know diddlysquat if at all!

all the best

Ummu Sufyaan
06-13-2009, 05:25 AM
And did he also tell them that thunder was a sign of the maker's anger and that plagues and famine were the maker's way of punishing those that did not worship him?
no, he told us that thunder was a way of praising the lord...
And, who made the maker?
who says the maker has to be made? if the maker was made, then he wouldn't be the maker, he would be made which makes no sense what so ever. its like saying He was begotten...why do Christians think that god was begotten---> he is simply above that...creation is a state of imperfection whereas "godness" is perfection. God is perfect, creation is not therefore the assumption that the Maker had to be made is ridiculous.

Except that we do have experience of animals and plants and other things being created and it's not by some supernatural maker.
says the atheist...

They reproduce sexually (usually), Mummy and Daddy cat get together and make baby cat.
that's called reproduction NOT production.

I've never seen or heard of a cat appearing out of nowhere or being created from dust or anything else out of a religious creation story, so why would I assume that they are true when there's a perfectly reasonable alternative that I've seen with my own eyes?
strange...doesn't the evolution theory state that we evolved from one cell?
so where did this one cell come from? whee was its beginning?

why is it assumed that the maker had to be made?

errr no, it's not :hmm: because evolution/things coming into existence due to natural circumstance is based on existence coming from non-existence, whereas religion is based on existence coming from existence. abu hanifah's argument is stating that that cannot happen simply because it isn't logical/possible...so your thinking is a little flawed!

haha, you are adamant to keep your head buried arent you, Ok look whats time ? its nothing why does there have to be a begining or end as we percieve it. You choose to the words "one minute nothing , then there was God" not me. Yes I am happy to let it go that I am human and cannot comprehend the nature of out obvious creator. If you cannoy see that then ok, but you do not have a right to try and trip up muslims from thier belief just to justify your lack of ubderstanding our place in existence. We are Muslims and therefore we know the truth, I find nothing difficult when examining the origins of the world, or matter. Allah created me, this is enough. You choose not to believe and I am sorry for you, but its your loss. What answers have you come to regarding the origins of existence, and I ask with a genuine desire to know and nothing more. Peace
i couldn't have put it better myself...you can choose ignorance over knowledge, but don't go and "frown" upon people when their beliefs don't conform with yours!

Clover
06-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Tao is everything, so I guess it's suitable to say he could punish me, since me and my ancestors are part of Tao too.

I do not say what happens after death, and I don't think anyone should, but many do. I do not know what happens after this life, maybe we are reincarnated, maybe we come before God, maybe we turn into spirits, or maybe we just turn into nothingness.

Thinker
06-13-2009, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HopeFul
Pygoscelis, have you ever tried to understand the concept of God?
I suspect that most atheists and agnostics started life as followers of a particular religion and became atheists and agnostic after spending many hours considering the question – does God exist. It’s much easier to follow the suggestion that God does exist (see Pascal’s wager) and far harder to deny it, not least because if we’re wrong there is the possibility of undesirable consequences on judgment day. If there is a God and I am called to account I will say, “you gave me the intellect and ability to critically analyse the evidence and form a view, I must presume that when you gave me that ability you expected me to use it, I used it and formed the view that your existence was a possibility but unlikely, I also formed the view if you did exist you would judge me well if I acted honestly and was true to my convictions and would be angry with me if I simply followed the lead of others because of fear or because it brought me comfort.”

Thinker
06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
no, he told us that thunder was a way of praising the lord...
Interesting . . . . . where does it say that?

Chuck
06-13-2009, 06:36 PM
It’s much easier to follow the suggestion that God does exist (see Pascal’s wager)
Yea it makes more sense.

Zafran
06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Thinker;1166509]I suspect that most atheists and agnostics started life as followers of a particular religion and became atheists and agnostic after spending many hours considering the question – does God exist. It’s much easier to follow the suggestion that God does exist (see Pascal’s wager) and far harder to deny it, not least because if we’re wrong there is the possibility of undesirable consequences on judgment day. If there is a God and I am called to account I will say, “you gave me the intellect and ability to critically analyse the evidence and form a view, I must presume that when you gave me that ability you expected me to use it, I used it and formed the view that your existence was a possibility but unlikely, I also formed the view if you did exist you would judge me well if I acted honestly and was true to my convictions and would be angry with me if I simply followed the lead of others because of fear or because it brought me comfort.”[/QUOTE]

wow you seriously have even thought of an excuse - all i can say on that day - you'll know when the excuses are lame.

جوري
06-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I suspect that most atheists and agnostics started life as followers of a particular religion and became atheists and agnostic after spending many hours considering the question – does God exist. It’s much easier to follow the suggestion that God does exist (see Pascal’s wager) and far harder to deny it, not least because if we’re wrong there is the possibility of undesirable consequences on judgment day. If there is a God and I am called to account I will say, “you gave me the intellect and ability to critically analyse the evidence and form a view, I must presume that when you gave me that ability you expected me to use it, I used it and formed the view that your existence was a possibility but unlikely, I also formed the view if you did exist you would judge me well if I acted honestly and was true to my convictions and would be angry with me if I simply followed the lead of others because of fear or because it brought me comfort.”

your 'self' can justify many things to you that are both speculative and defective...

God, I get a thrill out of kleptomania, I was driven in spite of absence of any economic motive to steal...if you didn't want me as a Klepto why did you create me this way?

God, I was attracted to that woman, I was overcome with desire, I raped her in the back ally.. well if you didn't want me to rape her, why did you madden me with desire and love.

God, I thought about it, I contemplated everything in the known universe, the billion biochemical pathways in my body, the animals, the fruits of the earth, the change of season, the planetary cycles, couldn't classify any of it under the principle of parsimony but figured, if you wanted me to be a believer, you'd have descended down on a gold chariot to show me your magical being.

Don't mistake your desires/ hopes and comfort for what God intends, firstly, you are not God to fathom what he intends for this world, and secondly when you deny him all together don't coax yourself into believing it will all be ok.. Just make up your own mind about what you want for yourself but not integrate into some universal theme or a divine injunction for this world...

I am glad you stumbled upon that it is harder to be an atheist.. indeed, I believe that to be true.. you constantly have to convince and prove to yourself something that can potentially bite you in a horrific and eternal way... instinctive indeed is the belief in God, being a rebel doesn't equal free thoughts, at least to me, it is a sign of lack of gratitude!

all the best

Pygoscelis
06-13-2009, 07:22 PM
If god turns out to exist and to be as described in the bible or quran I would feel no need to justify myself to him. Nor would I respect his judgment. Sure, if he is all powerful he could torture me for this, but that doesn't make bowing down to such a tyrant noble or good.

Zafran
06-13-2009, 07:26 PM
If god turns out to exist and to be as described in the bible or quran I would feel no need to justify myself to him. Nor would I respect his judgment. Sure, if he is all powerful he could torture me for this, but that doesn't make bowing down to such a tyrant noble or good.
so you dont actually believe you have done anything wrong in your life?

جوري
06-13-2009, 07:26 PM
You know nothing of God, and you know so little about the definition of tyranny, if endless blessings can be classified as such then rotting for eternity is a small price to pay!

Azy
06-13-2009, 07:48 PM
nothing in our physical world (realm) is uncreated.. no examples can be given.. there is no such a word in the dictionary even as 'uncreated' for one to identify for you things that aren't!
everything in our known universe has to come out of something else or a combination of other things...
Well I suppose to uncreate would be to dismantle, rather what I mean is 'not created' and I think you know that.
Why then do people insist on using 'complexity' as evidence of design? There is no benchmark against which to compare this complexity in order to determine if it is characteristic of creation/design.

You might as well skip all the pointless justifications and go straight to "things exist, therefore something with intent and intelligence created them", which is as arbitrary a jump as I can imagine.
Physicists would disagree and say that nothing is exactly where everything came from. The precursor to our universe is thought to be a dimensionless state of nothing which, through some vacuum fluctuation, cascaded into what we now know as our universe while maintaining a zero-sum energy.
Like the virtual particles which momentarily borrow vacuum energy only to disappear again or the 'imaginary' money you spend which constitutes the credit on your Mastercard only to be repaid later, the universe is real but the sum total of it's properties is essentially nothing.
says the atheist...
strange...doesn't the evolution theory state that we evolved from one cell?
Wrong and... wrong.
so where did this one cell come from? whee was its beginning?
Obviously the first cell would have been preceded by simpler groupings of molecules and so on. [A page on Abiogenesis]

why is it assumed that the maker had to be made?
Are you and your friends not even aware of the horrific inconsistency in your reasoning? Repeat that sentence back to yourself but replace 'maker' with 'universe'.

redblackmask
06-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm not an atheist or agnostic but I respect what they believe - and see justification for what they believe. I am a taoist, I DO believe in a Universal god or Universal energy. But there is justification on both sides as to whether God truly exists or not. But seriously, why waste what COULD be your only life on an internet forum debating whether he COULD be real or not?? Go out and enjoy this beautiful world that God (or the Universe through completely natural processes) gave you.

Clover
06-13-2009, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by redblackmask
I'm not an atheist or agnostic but I respect what they believe - and see justification for what they believe. I am a taoist, I DO believe in a Universal god or Universal energy. But there is justification on both sides as to whether God truly exists or not. But seriously, why waste what COULD be your only life on an internet forum debating whether he COULD be real or not?? Go out and enjoy this beautiful world that God (or the Universe through completely natural processes) gave you.
Tao is everything and nothing my friend, you know this I believe, so he would be the universal energy your referring to, unless you believe it's a God.

جوري
06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Well I suppose to uncreate would be to dismantle, rather what I mean is 'not created' and I think you know that.
Why then do people insist on using 'complexity' as evidence of design? There is no benchmark against which to compare this complexity in order to determine if it is characteristic of creation/design.
It is used because it is all the knowledge we have available on which to base belief. This is the condition of our known universe thus that is what we work with.. can we reproduce it? is it random? does it work together? do these processes carry actions or is it just a mere hit or miss? Is there another else where like it..

If you have a fungating mass coming out of your head, you'd want to investigate it no? or would you decide there is no benchmark to compare it to, it must mean it belongs there? I have already stated, that what you feel is natural is nothing more than an imaginary line or standard by which things are measured or compared, that is how you found the world, thus you assume it is natural.. In fact any little aberrations should have you thinking, why is that natural, why are we all not born with this or what feature/malfunction.. Why do things move in a particular direction.. one that favors what you call 'Natural'?

You might as well skip all the pointless justifications and go straight to "things exist, therefore something with intent and intelligence created them", which is as arbitrary a jump as I can imagine.
It isn't see above reply!

Physicists would disagree and say that nothing is exactly where everything came from. The precursor to our universe is thought to be a dimensionless state of nothing which, through some vacuum fluctuation, cascaded into what we now know as our universe while maintaining a zero-sum energy.
Like the virtual particles which momentarily borrow vacuum energy only to disappear again or the 'imaginary' money you spend which constitutes the credit on your Mastercard only to be repaid later, the universe is real but the sum total of it's properties is essentially nothing.
I'll agree with your initial statement.. Nothing is where everything came from, but then something of the nothing flourished in a very positive fashion and in one direction and on 'its own volition'... Do you ever wonder, what should be the end result of evolution? Don't you think we'd be better off as cocoroaches, or one single invincible being that doesn't die? What is the point of genetic diseases that get worst with each successive generation, having male and female gender, or dying?

Don't think that folks haven't treaded on atheist grounds.. I have, to the point of craziness, even the concept of time without end to me or endless numbers is unfathomable to me... yet potentially both are true.. I mean obviousely time doesn't end because we perish, and I am yet to come across the last number... one simply has to accept their own limitations, but it certainly doesn't make one a better being or more liberated or a free thinker..
It is like the two types of schizophrenia, one exhibiting postive symptoms and another negative symptoms .. positive (i.e. hallucinations, delusions, racing thoughts), negative (i.e. apathy, lack of emotion, poor or nonexistant social functioning)-- you might think the latter better or the first is better, but in fact in the end, both are suffering from schizophrenia..

this is the human condition... I have no contempt for your choice, I am only crossed when one of you (not you personally) but generally fancies that he is so much better of, a deep free thinker or a rebel and is observing us lab rats in actions.. when it comes down to it, you are bound by the same thoughts, the same physical laws, the same universal themes and the same human condition!

all the best

redblackmask
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Tao is everything and nothing my friend, you know this I believe, so he would be the universal energy your referring to, unless you believe it's a God.
Yes yes yes, you got it half right, I will clarify what I mean to say when I come back from work :BeRightBack:

Clover
06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes yes yes, you got it half right, I will clarify what I mean to say when I come back from work :BeRightBack:
Half right? The TTC states Tao is Everything and Nothing. How is that half right? Are you saying you believen a God with Tao? Then the God would be Tao, since Tao is everything and nothing.

Azy
06-13-2009, 10:51 PM
It is used because it is all the knowledge we have available on which to base belief...

...If you have a fungating mass coming out of your head, you'd want to investigate it no? or would you decide there is no benchmark to compare it to, it must mean it belongs there?
Can't say that's the best analogy I've seen. If it was new I'd compare it to my previous state, if not I'd compare it to other heads.

Once you use the complexity argument (or whichever your favourite happens to be) to encompass everything that is, it becomes useless and self-reinforcing as there's no way to know.
How complex does something have to be before you know it's of divine origin? There isn't an answer so I don't see why anyone should claim it to be true... it's just an arbitrary choice of justification for creationism.
Do you ever wonder, what should be the end result of evolution? Don't you think we'd be better off as cocoroaches, or one single invincible being that doesn't die? What is the point of genetic diseases that get worst with each successive generation, having male and female gender, or dying?
I don't see that 'should' is an appropriate word to use in that context. You believe in moral absolutes and purpose whereas I do not. To me there is no 'should', 'better', 'worse', or 'point'. Evolution is simply a physical process running it's course and the lives of a cockroach and I are qualitatively identical at a big fat zero.
Don't think that folks haven't treaded on atheist grounds..
I don't think that at all, it just seems to me that a great many people take up an idea because it is comfortable and satisfying rather than the cold mechanics of a godless world with all it's unknowns.
this is the human condition... I have no contempt for your choice, I am only crossed when one of you (not you personally) but generally fancies that he is so much better of, a deep free thinker or a rebel and is observing us lab rats in actions.. when it comes down to it, you are bound by the same thoughts, the same physical laws, the same universal themes and the same human condition!
As I stated above better and worse don't make much difference to me but I thought out of all the people here you would be more inclined toward an agnostic view. As a tool for knowledge gathering you appreciate the value of empirical observation and I'm sure in your life as a medical professional/researcher/student you accepted things to be true when they could be shown to be true by measurable evidence rather than making presumptions about results.

Out of curiosity, when you refer to atheists do you mean those with a simple lack of god belief or the god denial crowd, or perhaps both?

جوري
06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Can't say that's the best analogy I've seen. If it was new I'd compare it to my previous state, if not I'd compare it to other heads.
I think you miss the point of the analogy which is.. you have something there that requires your attention and/or explanation!

Once you use the complexity argument (or whichever your favourite happens to be) to encompass everything that is, it becomes useless and self-reinforcing as there's no way to know.
I am afraid the meaning of this statement is lost to me..

How complex does something have to be before you know it's of divine origin? There isn't an answer so I don't see why anyone should claim it to be true... it's just an arbitrary choice of justification for creationism.
I don't see that 'should' is an appropriate word to use in that context. You believe in moral absolutes and purpose whereas I do not. To me there is no 'should', 'better', 'worse', or 'point'. Evolution is simply a physical process running it's course and the lives of a cockroach and I are qualitatively identical at a big fat zero.
Has nothing to do with its complexity although that is a point of interest.. it has to do with the mere fact that it exists and I'd like to know why and for what purpose.. I think it is rather a natural thing for most humans...

I don't see how there can be none of the above mentioned.. life is about contrast.. how can you tell something is white unless you contrast it to something black? or something as cold unless you contrast it with something hot, or day time if you didn't have night.. there is no escapism from the state you find yourself in.. you might want to loan them a more skewed meaning things are the way they are mostly in contrast to other things, especially when comes to issues of morality or sensations..

I don't think that at all, it just seems to me that a great many people take up an idea because it is comfortable and satisfying rather than the cold mechanics of a godless world with all it's unknowns.
I don't think that is why people take it up... certainly as a theist alot more is required of you than an atheist, I don't see how that could be more comfortable.. I rather think nothing is more freeing than being an atheist, and at the same time it bewilders me so, why they'd want to spend much of their free time arguing about utter nonsense considering the randomness of it all.. potentially your life can be over at any minute, why the misuse of time?

As I stated above better and worse don't make much difference to me but I thought out of all the people here you would be more inclined toward an agnostic view. As a tool for knowledge gathering you appreciate the value of empirical observation and I'm sure in your life as a medical professional/researcher/student you accepted things to be true when they could be shown to be true by measurable evidence rather than making presumptions about results.
Clinical medicine differs greatly from scientific medicine, many things in theory can work but not so clinically, I have given an example before of the absolution in prohibition of using a beta blocker on someone in heart failure, because this medication was designed to slow down the heart, well a heart failing theoretically doesn't need any more slowing down-- people rather thought beating it into work is the better option and for yrs such meds as digoxin.. yet when you put the pedal to the metal you got:
Compared with the control group, treatment with beta blocker was associated with a decreased mortality (relative risk=0.58, 95% confidence interval 0.40 to 0.85, p=0.005 for beta blocker alone and 0.59, 95% confidence interval 0.40 to 0.87, p=0.008 for beta blocker plus digoxin). By contrast, treatment with digoxin alone was not associated with a better survival (relative risk=0.97, 95% confidence interval 0.73 to 1.30, p=NS). Results remained significant after adjustment for potential confounders and similar when we considered, separately, HF with permanent or nonpermanent
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19121446

I don't want to drown you in medical mumbo jumbo, your take home message from above is.. what works in theory doesn't work in real life, and thus I can be willing to throw out any theory for its practical counterpart because ultimately that is what proves useful..

Now whether practical or theoretical it means nothing as it doesn't touch the principal.. It doesn't matter how sophisticated you think we have become and I certainly don't have the most mathematical mind but I am (consistent) in my quest for knowledge, I can say with confidence that science will never infringe upon theology, it can either work harmoniously with it, or have nothing to do with it at all, but not oppose it! (as far as Islam is concerned)

Out of curiosity, when you refer to atheists do you mean those with a simple lack of god belief or the god denial crowd, or perhaps both?
what is the difference.. I dislike atheists with political agendas the most, they seem as zealous as any religious freak, only standing from the opposite end of the spectrum...

all the best

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Half right? The TTC states Tao is Everything and Nothing. How is that half right? Are you saying you believen a God with Tao? Then the God would be Tao, since Tao is everything and nothing.
See, my friend, for me it's hard for me to explain my personal beliefs. Yes, I'm a taoist, but I also find it hard for me to explain my own spiritual and philosophical beliefs on a religious forum.

" How is that half right? Are you saying you believen a God with Tao? Then the God would be Tao, since Tao is everything and nothing."

Yes, I have read the Tao Te Ching, and yes I believe that God is Tao. I believe that God is an eternal energy that is manifest in everything in the Universe. We cannot fathom it completely, though we are a part of it. The Tao made everything, including the "heavens" (space, stars, planets) and this Earth. The Tao is everything and nothing.

When I mean half right, I mean that I have also had some very touching experiences with the tao. I meditate frequently, and the experiences I have had are amazing. I guess we're all 'half right' though, since in my view we can't completely fathom the Tao.

By the way, it's nice to have another Taoist on here :thumbs_up. I guess we're the only two on here :skeleton:.

Clover
06-14-2009, 06:48 AM
See, my friend, for me it's hard for me to explain my personal beliefs. Yes, I'm a taoist, but I also find it hard for me to explain my own spiritual and philosophical beliefs on a religious forum.

" How is that half right? Are you saying you believen a God with Tao? Then the God would be Tao, since Tao is everything and nothing."

Yes, I have read the Tao Te Ching, and yes I believe that God is Tao. I believe that God is an eternal energy that is manifest in everything in the Universe. We cannot fathom it completely, though we are a part of it. The Tao made everything, including the "heavens" (space, stars, planets) and this Earth. The Tao is everything and nothing.

When I mean half right, I mean that I have also had some very touching experiences with the tao. I meditate frequently, and the experiences I have had are amazing. I guess we're all 'half right' though, since in my view we can't completely fathom the Tao.

By the way, it's nice to have another Taoist on here :thumbs_up. I guess we're the only two on here :skeleton:.
I do not believe that, but we all have different beliefs, part of life and humanity :)

It's true, in the TTC the first page explains that the Tao cannot be fully explained, ever.

Yes, we are so far that I know.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Interesting . . . . . where does it say that?
In the Quran: And Ar-Ra'd (thunder) glorifies and praises Him (13:13)

just to expand on it a little...
http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=13&tid=25581

EDIT: wait a min...who do you mean by 'he' Abu Hanifah or God?

Obviously the first cell would have been preceded by simpler groupings of molecules and so on. [A page on Abiogenesis]
yes, but where did those molecules come from?
Are you and your friends not even aware of the horrific inconsistency in your reasoning?
the only thing i'll repeat is what i said before only with slight modification!

creation is a state of imperfection whereas "godness" is perfection. God is perfect, creation is not therefore the assumption that the Maker had to be made is ridiculous because it means that He is dependent, which would therefore negate His perfection!

Abdul Fattah
06-14-2009, 12:59 PM
To Foxhole
Hi,
format_quote Originally Posted by Foxhole
1)
Because we know the universe has certain characteristics that point towards it originating at one point. As For the creator, he does not have those same characteristics, so it is much more plausible for the creator to be uncreated.
2)Wny is an infinite past harder to accept than an uncreated entity?
Because an infinite past creates many scientific as well as philosophical problems. (Think of entropy; or "The Paradox of the Grand Hotel")

To Thinker
Hi,
And did he also tell them that thunder was a sign of the maker's anger...
Can I take it that the underlying argument in this is: "Earlier nations had false believes for things they could not understand, therefore all believes are false."? Isn't that argument flawed because it's a sweeping generalisation? Or was that not what you were driving at?

and that plagues and famine were the maker's way of punishing those that did not worship him?
According to Islam, hardship isn't necessaryly a punishment. It could also be a test. I think the riddle of Epicurus and the problem of evil has been refuted already in the comparative religion section, I don't see how this argument relates to this thread.
And, who made the maker? So where did God come from – the nothingness? There was nothing one day and suddenly God appeared? How is that any easier to believe? You believe that God created the universe because that's what you want to believe, not because it's obvious.
He is uncreated, without a beginning.
So who created Allah, did God just pop up from nowhere, one second there was nothing, then there was God?
If God created the universe, he is outside the universe, thus also outside of time. This "time" is a physical construct. A part of our universe. According to relativity, space and time form a 4D space-time-continuum. According to the standardised theory, (empty) space is a physical construct. Put these two theories together, and it would follow that time also is a physical construct, a part of our universe. Speaking in terms of "one second and the next" is thus an inappropriate representation.
If you struggle to believe that the complexities of life are simply a developmental process how can you stretch your mind to believe that a God came to be from nothing and came to be with Godly powers!
Well Like I said to Foxhole. We know our universe has a fixed set of rules. Causality, the 4 forces of physics, the fixed constants that determine their ratio's. The reason it's so hard to come to terms with the idea that life and the universe came to be by chance, is because it seems to defy logical thinking. It's not merely because there's an absence of a plausible explanation. It goes farther then that, it's not just the absence but rather the presence of so many indications which show us how unlikely it was for our universe, or for life to come into existence. As for the concept of God, if you believe God created the universe, obviously he wouldn't be bound to the same laws of physics. Therefore all these indications of unlikeliness would no longer apply to God.

Maybe God did come from nothingness and maybe he didn’t but just because you and I don’t know how it all started and cannot (yet) comprehend something coming from nothing doesn’t mean there can only be one possibility – God. That question is just one more question that science will eventually answer.
I agree that neither atheist nor theist can conclusively answer this question. But I don't think we need to in order for the atrophic principle to be a valid argument.

All that aside, I understand that to follow any religion you must accept all the God stories, put those nagging questions to one side and ‘have faith,’
Not Really, Islam, unlike many other religions encourages us to examine and question, invites us to be critical.

what I am struggling to come to terms with is how someone as intelligent, well read and free thinking could promote the boat story as anything more than smoke and mirrors.
Well simple, because despite I grant it's an over-simplification of the atheists p.o.v, the underlying atrophic principle is still a valid argument. So it's not just smoke and mirrors at all.

I suspect that most atheists and agnostics started life as followers of a particular religion and became atheists and agnostic after spending many hours considering the question – does God exist.
Yes, I agree. This was also the reason why, after being raised in a catholic environment, I became an atheist/agnostic (this was before converting to Islam).
It’s much easier to follow the suggestion that God does exist (see Pascal’s wager) and far harder to deny it, not least because if we’re wrong there is the possibility of undesirable consequences on judgment day.
For me it was not a question of easy or hard, but rather a question of what was right/plausible and what was not. On another note, I find that most atheists disbelieve in a very specific view of God. That is to say, the concept of God that they don't believe in, is a concept that I myself as a theist do not believe in either.

If there is a God and I am called to account I will say, “you gave me the intellect and ability to critically analyse the evidence and form a view, I must presume that when you gave me that ability you expected me to use it, I used it and formed the view that your existence was a possibility but unlikely, I also formed the view if you did exist you would judge me well if I acted honestly and was true to my convictions and would be angry with me if I simply followed the lead of others because of fear or because it brought me comfort.”
Well I sincerely hope for your sake that this plea will be sufficient. But if at any point in your life, you rejected the possibility of Islam, not based on the rational thinking you were given, but rather based on emotive inclinations and emotive arguments and a (perhaps subconscious) aversion for Islam, then I would think your plea would be rendered meaningless by that action, would you agree? That being said, do you consider Islam possible, or do you consider it most definitly false? If you consider it most defenitly false, could you tell us why? Also, if you consider Islam possible, given your pleas which you intend to give in order to justify your agnosticism, would you agree you have a responsibility to use your intellect you were given to verify as far as possible whether or not Islam seems to be true?

To Padarok
Hi;
Evolution is a theory that aims to explain how life, after already existing evolved into a larger variety of life. That is to say, it is an attempt to account for the different types of life, not for the existence of life itself. Therefore Darwin coined it "The evolution of species". Meaning how different species evolved. Not how life came into existence.

However, thinking about stuff like this and thinking about evolution, I am changing my way of life as Agnostic now. Though, that does not mean I am leaning towards Islam or any religion in this issue (if anything, towards a kind of... deterministic nihilism). I am simply in the middle and have been, actually.
Depends on how you look at it, I would think you're halfway there ^_^

By the way, I don't know why this is so convincing for Muslims. Atheists see humans as evolved after billions of years and don't fall too easily for the "suddenly put together" argument.
Yeah you're right. The argument over-simplifies the atheist's view of the world. Be that as it may, I still find the anthropic principle which is the gist of the argument here to be a valid argument.

To Azy
Hi;
I can't speak for Clover but in my opinion also the reasoning is faulty.
It's basically a different spin on the watchmaker argument. From our experience we know ships are man-made for a purpose defined by man. You can go to the shipyard and watch them being built. The argument by Hanifa is basically "Aha! So if a ship is so obviously created and controlled by a maker/guide then so is every other complex thing".
Except that we do have experience of animals and plants and other things being created and it's not by some supernatural maker. They reproduce sexually (usually), Mummy and Daddy cat get together and make baby cat.
Well, I'd have to disagree with you there. To take your example of the cats. According to the theist's point of view, these cats <as many other species> have obviously been designed with the function to reproduce. So their ability to reproduce does not negate that everything complex must come from a design. The design just goes further back, to the first specie in their tree of descent (I believe in evolution of different species, but not in common descent of all existing species). So, although of course this is "from the theist's p.o.v." it still refutes your argument as it shows that your argument is circular.

Just because we have never witnessed it, doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in the past. Why would Allah subhana wa ta'ala still need to create new cats, when there's already so many around? Secondly, as far as I know there is no perfectly reasonable alternative that answers the anthropic principle. The parts of the theory of evolution that are scientific, is only half the answer. It still doesn't account for existence.

That question is un-reasonable. As I explained to Thinker in this post, If our universe is indeed created by a creator, obviously that creator is not part of said universe and is not inside the dimension of time. Thus asking us "at which time" did the creator do this or that makes no sense.

Well I suppose to uncreate would be to dismantle, rather what I mean is 'not created' and I think you know that. Why then do people insist on using 'complexity' as evidence of design? There is no benchmark against which to compare this complexity in order to determine if it is characteristic of creation/design. You might as well skip all the pointless justifications and go straight to "things exist, therefore something with intent and intelligence created them", which is as arbitrary a jump as I can imagine.
I would rather say: "things exist against all odds, therefore something with intent and intelligence must have created them",

Physicists would disagree and say that nothing is exactly where everything came from.
I don't think so. That is not a scientific explanation. So If any scientists says something like that, he is just expressing his personal believes, and not representing science.

The precursor to our universe is thought to be a dimensionless state of nothing which, through some vacuum fluctuation, cascaded into what we now know as our universe while maintaining a zero-sum energy.
This is all highly speculative, and just one of the thousands of different "semi-scientific" explanations.

To Pygoscelis
Hi;
Infinite regress does appear to lead to absurdities. But it is very debatable which is more absurd:
1. Infinite Regress
3. is an incorrect representation of theists pov. As I have explained to Thinker and Azy, to talk of God in terms of "always existing" implies God is inside the dimension of time (which he created himself).

Science does not disprove God, we just understand His creation better through it.This I agree with in a sense. Science can never prove or disprove God because God is not falsifiable.
Very true, science is completely neutral in this debate.
God is about faith, not evidence. As Thinker has said, people believe in God because they want to, not because there is objective evidence to.
I disagree, to quote Russell Bertrand:
It would be perfectly possible to be a complete and absolute Rationalist in the true sense of the term and yet accept this or that dogma. The question is how to arrive at your opinions and not what your opinions are. The thing in which we believe is the supremacy of reason. If reason should lead you to orthodox conclusions, well and good; you are still a Rationalist.
Do you require a reward and punishment dynamic handed down from a god in order to live a peaceful and constructive life? I don't think you do. I think you have a moral compass completely independent of this reward/punishment dynamic from your religion.
I have to agree with you on that one, people without faith can still have morality. However, at the same time I must add, people are fallible. So from the Muslim's perspective, if you believe that Islam is perfected by Allah, and the most preferable set of moral rules, then you also believe that the set of rules an atheist would spontaneously form would be inferior to it. I hope you don't find this offensive. I don't mean this in a condescending way. I don't mean by this that atheists have inferior logic or anything like that, just that I don't think a human can ever have the same deep understanding of the world as an omnipotent creator, thus a human can never arrive at the same set of moral rules and guidelines by rational thinking without the aid of God.
My point is that the idea of a always existing all powerful all knowing "God" making the universe out of nothing but itself is just as absurd to many of us as infinite regress.
To me, the God answer seems more plausible, but I guess all we can do here is agree to disagree. I wouldn't have the faintest idea, as how to "weigh off" one idea against another. If you have a suggestion I'm all ears.
Forgive me if I'm placing words in your mouth here, but are you saying that the view of God, portrayed in the Qur'an is that of a Tyrant? Could you back up that claim? I mean, there are indeed verses, which if Isolated might give that (false) perception. But there are so many other verses, which speak of a kind and loving God, one who punishes only those that deserve it because he is the most just. Or would you consider it more just to not punish those that do deserve it? Surely God does not wrong them but they wrong themselves. I can't see how you would be able to back up your claim of God being a tyrant.

redblackmask
06-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I do not believe that, but we all have different beliefs, part of life and humanity :)

It's true, in the TTC the first page explains that the Tao cannot be fully explained, ever.

Yes, we are so far that I know.
Man, this thread is one big brawl. Replies going everywhere left and right. We're one of the 5 people here who have started like a sub thread :thumbs_up

Anyways, of course the Tao cannot be fully explained. It is very hard for our minds to fathom without proper conditioning, I believe. I remember reading in the TTC and it says that the Tao can mean different things to different people. Overall, I still hold the 'core' philosophical beliefs of Taoism.

Like for example, not all Taoists believe in a conscious afterlife, but some do. It's your personal belief, which is why Taoism was so appealing to me. It's very broad and you don't adhere to a strict set of dogmatic beliefs as say, Christianity.

Pygoscelis
06-14-2009, 07:35 PM
so you dont actually believe you have done anything wrong in your life?
I have wronged some people, and I have appologized to them and attempted to make it up to them. Its none of this God's business. Like I said if this god exists as described, I would not recognize his authority and I would stand up to such a tyrant - its is the moral thing to do. And yes I know I would be tortured as a result.

Zafran
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I have wronged some people, and I have appologized to them and attempted to make it up to them. Its none of this God's business. Like I said if this god exists as described, I would not recognize his authority and I would stand up to such a tyrant - its is the moral thing to do. And yes I know I would be tortured as a result.
doesnt realy matter if you recognize God or not - it would be intresting if God actually recognized you on that day.

Clover
06-14-2009, 08:07 PM
@ Zafran and Pygoscelis, come on guys, lets not get angry. Let's just try to get along. 1 of you doesn't believen a god, one of you does. That is a difference, but that doesn't mean you have to argue over it. Focus on what you have in common, please.

btw: Yes, I am trying to be a referee, but hey, nothing but practice helps one be respectful.

Zafran
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
no argument - just stating an opnion.

Tony
06-14-2009, 10:59 PM
@ Zafran and Pygoscelis, come on guys, lets not get angry. Let's just try to get along. 1 of you doesn't believen a god, one of you does. That is a difference, but that doesn't mean you have to argue over it. Focus on what you have in common, please.

btw: Yes, I am trying to be a referee, but hey, nothing but practice helps one be respectful.
haha, you found a role witin LI Clover, its a hard job so good luck.
Why dont you start athread re the things in the Qur<an or Islam you like and dislike, i will post on it and try to get you some answers for a clearer veiw of Islam while you can explain to us how these veiws may fit in within Taoism. Hope u ubderstand what I mean, i will referee it and keepit civil, u came here for a reason so we owe you the respect of trying to address those reasons. Peace

Pygoscelis
06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
no argument - just stating an opnion.
Same. And I haven't taken any offence to anything that's been said and assume no offence has been taken for anything I've said. We disagree and expressing each others views is how people learn. To say we all must agree to avoid perception of friction... gets us nowhere.

Clover
06-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Same. And I haven't taken any offence to anything that's been said and assume no offence has been taken for anything I've said. We disagree and expressing each others views is how people learn. To say we all must agree to avoid perception of friction... gets us nowhere.
I am not saying to avoid the perception of friction, but the friction itself :statisfie

@TKTony, eh, I'd rather read topics that have already been through, and I do not want to fit Islam with Taoism, I just want to learn about it. That is a problem I had on another board, everytime I tried to get info, they tried to convert me cause of my sinful ways.

KAding
06-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Ahem, this forum and the people on it are part of this beautiful world :D.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-15-2009, 08:36 AM
those who have understood have only understand through meditation and purification.

those who have not understand, will never understand unless they go through the above with pure intentions.

* sincere advice * :)

KAding
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
1)
Because we know the universe has certain characteristics that point towards it originating at one point. As For the creator, he does not have those same characteristics, so it is much more plausible for the creator to be uncreated.

So who created Allah, did God just pop up from nowhere, one second there was nothing, then there was God?
If God created the universe, he is outside the universe, thus also outside of time. This "time" is a physical construct. A part of our universe. According to relativity, space and time form a 4D space-time-continuum. According to the standardised theory, (empty) space is a physical construct. Put these two theories together, and it would follow that time also is a physical construct, a part of our universe. Speaking in terms of "one second and the next" is thus an inappropriate representation.
Great answer!

Though I suppose it still does not mean there was any intent or even sentience involved in whatever force or entity outside of our universe that triggered its creation.

Trumble
06-16-2009, 03:39 AM
whatever complexities and informal objections atheists have toward a supreme being must be handled in their own private time, since they make up definitionsthat don't fit any standard understanding of "God''.
Ah... those would be the definitions that don't conveniently exclude any problems associated with the concept (such as the need to be 'created' according to the same reasoning as everything else) in order to avoid having to worry about them, then. :rollseyes

جوري
06-16-2009, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Ah... those would be the definitions that don't conveniently exclude any problems associated with the concept (such as the need to be 'created' according to the same reasoning as everything else) in order to avoid having to worry about them, then. :rollseyes

Nonsense- God by definition is the originator the universe, you can't originate and be a part of at the same time. You simply want a low common term to wrap your incredibly subscript human condition around and to exempt yourself from any duty toward your creator!

all the best

Pygoscelis
06-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Nonsense- God by definition is the originator the universe, you can't originate and be a part of at the same time. You simply want a low common term to wrap your incredibly subscript human condition around and to exempt yourself from any duty toward your creator!

all the best
Why would a creation necessarily have a "duty" to its creator? And assuming it does, how far does that duty go?

جوري
06-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Why would a creation necessarily have a "duty" to its creator? And assuming it does, how far does that duty go?

for a lot less sinister reasons than those that make you seek a job and obsequious to your bosses-- and the duties are all in keeping with your own gains/ benefits/ maintenance and those of mankind!

Ummu Sufyaan
06-16-2009, 08:27 AM
why would a child have a duty towards its parents...

Gator
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
why would a child have a duty towards its parents...
You guys didn't answer his question. How far should the duty go? Am I to imply from your response that we have the same duty to God as we have to our parents?

aamirsaab
06-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Why would a creation necessarily have a "duty" to its creator?
To show gratitude and humility. Think about having a bratty emo and ungrateful kid. You as a father have provided a shelter/food/ security etc and one day he turns around and says: F**k you daddy! Not very respectful now, is it. And you'd probably want to slap the kid silly (I know I would, even if I wasn't the kids father!) Of course, the difference between God and a human father is that God reserves His judgement to give you time to repent; a human would find that much more difficult.

The least that kid had to do was show some a little respect or appreciation, but noooo. Not only does he blatantly ignore any good his father did, he then outright INSULTS him! (There are kids who actually do do that to their parents; some go one step further and physically abuse them...) So I think the father/son dynamic works in this case.

And assuming it does, how far does that duty go?
Prayer; following the set rules/laws (doing halaal stuff; staying away from haram stuff - at the very least it's for your own benefit anyway...). Pretty easy stuff to be honest.

Gator
06-16-2009, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Think about having a bratty emo and ungrateful kid. You as a father have provided a shelter/food/ security etc and one day he turns around and says: F**k you daddy! Not very respectful now, is it. And you'd probably want to slap the kid silly (I know I would, even if I wasn't the kids father!)
Now I understand, though I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to lock him in the basement and torture him (possibly forever if I could).

aamirsaab
06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by gator
now i understand, though i think the most reasonable thing to do would be to lock him in the basement and torture him (possibly forever if i could).
lol.

جوري
06-16-2009, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
You guys didn't answer his question. How far should the duty go? Am I to imply from your response that we have the same duty to God as we have to our parents?

I believe I have answered the Q on the last page..
Your duties are to enjoin good, prevent evil.

Being dutiful toward your parents is a form of observing your duties toward God, so it taking care of the poor, so is fasting etc..

I have always felt the first 10 verses of suret al'moemnoon summed up ones duties perfectly:

Media Tags are no longer supported

Gator
06-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Your duties are to enjoin good, prevent evil.
OK, then me and the Lord we're all good. Thanks for the reply.

جوري
06-16-2009, 06:35 PM

glad to hear it :D..

you know winning the laureate for any achievement requires that it be submitted for a review by an awarding body...
I can't solely declare that I am a scientific saint, for having embarked on a cure for the common cold outside of academia without submitting my finds to the gruel testing of some scientific committee and their agreed upon standards!

In other words, I wouldn't speak for the 'Lord' -- since you seem to seek your goodness outside the established framework..

Now, don't get me wrong.. all great deeds are rewarded indeed.. just might not be in the fashion that you like.. and I think for some folks it is merely satisfying to be self-appraised.. but self-appraisal isn't the standard baseline that is set for moral achievements!

all the best

Azy
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I think you miss the point of the analogy which is.. you have something there that requires your attention and/or explanation!
Well yeah, but with that situation there is at least an easy way of explaining it.
it has to do with the mere fact that it exists and I'd like to know why and for what purpose.. I think it is rather a natural thing for most humans...
I would agree completely, and it seems to me that we jump the gun a little. The way we tend to do things leads us to ask questions such as "why and for what purpose?" before ones like "is there a reason or purpose?".
I don't see how there can be none of the above mentioned.. life is about contrast.. how can you tell something is white unless you contrast it to something black? or something as cold unless you contrast it with something hot, or day time if you didn't have night..
there is no escapism from the state you find yourself in.. you might want to loan them a more skewed meaning things are the way they are mostly in contrast to other things, especially when comes to issues of morality or sensations..
Not sure I agree, how can you tell me what life is about or if it is about anything at all?
Obviously the pragmatic side of me has to deal with these things day to day; there's obviously conflict between the rational and emotional especially in adverse situations. When sensations and morality come into play there's no question that one feels they have value, but that's not objectively true. "Good" is essentially "whatever Good feels like", and can't really be defined otherwise and doesn't exist outside your thoughts about it.
I don't think that is why people take it up... certainly as a theist alot more is required of you than an atheist, I don't see how that could be more comfortable.. I rather think nothing is more freeing than being an atheist, and at the same time it bewilders me so, why they'd want to spend much of their free time arguing about utter nonsense considering the randomness of it all.. potentially your life can be over at any minute, why the misuse of time?
Again, misuse is a relative concept, there is no purpose to my existence and therefore no proper use or misuse of my time. Also, free is often not the same as comfortable.

When it comes to comfort at least in my experience it's a big factor. Certainly, more is required of you as a theist but that is fine since, as your rightly pointed out, a desire for answers and purpose pervades human thought. Religion gives people a sense of belonging and direction that to believers is worth a good deal of invested time and effort.
...what works in theory doesn't work in real life, and thus I can be willing to throw out any theory for its practical counterpart because ultimately that is what proves useful..
For all history we have been filling the holes in our knowledge, discoveries are stumbled upon such as this one and I'm sure someone will do the science necessary to find out why the old model is flawed and the new one works.
Now whether practical or theoretical it means nothing as it doesn't touch the principal.. It doesn't matter how sophisticated you think we have become ... I can say with confidence that science will never infringe upon theology
Quite true... Theology is the study of things we can't possibly know about, which to me seems less than useful even for those who are interested.

AntiKarateKid
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
What you think is good and evil may not be correct. Only Allah, who is free from bias, can tell us.

A guy may see a lost child with a wallet in their hands and think of nothing except helping him.

Another guy may only focus on the wallet.

If you think the second guy is bad.... who the hek are you to tell us what good or bad is? It is all relative. The second is being more good to himself than the child. Vice versa for the first.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Not only does he blatantly ignore any good his father did, he then outright INSULTS him! (There are kids who actually do do that to their parents; some go one step further and physically abuse them...) So I think the father/son dynamic works in this case.
The father is always away on business trips while the kid raises himself. The brother keeps telling the kid the father exists, but the kid doesn't believe it. The brother tells him he should believe that the father is going to come back one day or when the father does he will lock the kid up in that basement mentioned above and whip him silly.

:D

Prayer; following the set rules/laws (doing halaal stuff; staying away from haram stuff - at the very least it's for your own benefit anyway...). Pretty easy stuff to be honest.
But how far does it go? What do you muslims think of the biblical story of Abraham and Isaac where God gets Abraham ready and willing to kill his son?

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
What you think is good and evil may not be correct. Only Allah, who is free from bias, can tell us.

A guy may see a lost child with a wallet in their hands and think of nothing except helping him.

Another guy may only focus on the wallet.

If you think the second guy is bad.... who the hek are you to tell us what good or bad is? It is all relative. The second is being more good to himself than the child. Vice versa for the first.
Social custom and empathy are the bases of "morality". While it is true that the former varies widely from place to place (especially once you throw religion into the mix), the latter is pretty consistent.

AntiKarateKid
06-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Social custom and empathy are the bases of "morality". While it is true that the former varies widely from place to place (especially once you throw religion into the mix), the latter is pretty consistent.
Where is your evidence to back up this high claim of universal empathy. Everytime someone says somethign like this, I feel as if you think we are machines.

As if we are involuntarily supposed to be empathetic. It's really strange coming from atheists who pride themselves on "freethinking." I have seen plenty of people who have "thought" and have decided that being selfish is the way to go. Many of them have prospered too.

So please. I can think. I can choose. I may or may not choose to be empathetic/sympathetic/a jerk. And you ppl saying "oh but it is evolved as a safety for our species/naturally empathetic/whatever is as convincing as the guy you atheists hate who espouses blind faith.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 03:10 AM
As if we are involuntarily supposed to be empathetic.
Look up "mirror neurons" and you can view some research for yourself. We are hard wired to feel the pain of others who are like ourselves. You can also look up the psych experiments showing this effect of self-identifying with others.

Empathy is seeing yourself in others and relating to them. It is shown in many animals and in humans as well. Its isn't all good. It contributes immensely to tribalism, ingroup/outgroup bias, hate of the "other", racism, etc. But it is also what leads to compassion for our fellow man (and moreso towards our family or ingroup). There is a lot of research on this and a quick google should turn up a bunch of it for you.

I have seen plenty of people who have "thought" and have decided that being selfish is the way to go. Many of them have prospered too.
And have you noticed that they tend to isolate themselves from their victims? Have you noticed them depersonalizing things and demonizing their victims, and empasizing the differences between their victims and themselves? Be it via race, culture, religion, or any other ingroup/outgroup attachments?

Of course you WILL find those who suffer from the disorder of feeling no empathy at all, we call them sociopaths. They are very much the exception to the rule.

Empathy doesn't take you over like a robot, no. But it is there. And it is why we inherently feel some things are right and wrong (aside from our cultural influences). Cultural, religious, and other social programming can bury one's sense of empathy but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I have sometimes run into religious people who wonder why atheists do not go raping and murdering when nobody is watching them. They seem to think that the reward/punishment dynamic their religion sets up is the ONLY thing that keeps them from being horrible people. Such people have burried their sense of empathy so deep that they don't recognize its there anymore. But it is usually indeed there, as can be seen with apostates who once losing faith still lead pretty moral lives. We know the basics of "right" and "wrong" inherently. We don't need religion or any other ideology to teach it to us.

And you ppl saying "oh but it is evolved as a safety for our species/naturally empathetic/whatever is as convincing as the guy you atheists hate who espouses blind faith.
I agree that this quote of yours is not a proven fact (I am not an evolutionist), but the development of mirror neurons and empathetic sense WOULD have given us an advantage over other pack animals and rival groups of our own species. It does make sense and is an interesting theory. We also do find more empathy in pack animals such as wolves and monkeys than in those who are solitary.

AntiKarateKid
06-19-2009, 03:16 AM
Pygo you did it again. You made us look like machines. Sure we have the capacity to feel empathy, but what about our response? That is certainly not hardwired into us.

Again, I feel like discussions about morality devolve into "oh but we're biologically like that" garbage. God forbid, then, that someone actually tries to find a real reason behind acting "good" and finds nothing except for empty evolutionist trash and appeals to emotion (which I personally find are the two most common atheistic responses).

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 03:21 AM
Pygo you did it again. You made us look like machines. Sure we have the capacity to feel empathy, but what about our response? That is certainly not hardwired into us.

Again, I feel like discussions about morality devolve into "oh but we're biologically like that" garbage. God forbid, then, that someone actually tries to find a real reason behind acting "good" and finds nothing except for empty evolutionist trash and appeals to emotion (which I personally find are the two most common atheistic responses).
We have an inate sense of empathy. We choose how we act on it as you say. But it is there and has been demonstrated scientifically. And its a major component of what we call "moral sense" or "morality".

Finding neurological and/or sociological explanations for morality is certainly more productive than declaring "God Did it" and refusing to look any further.

Edit to add: Us being machines or not goes into a whole other discussion/argument - about if free will exists or is just an illusion. I don't want to confuse these two very different topics.

AntiKarateKid
06-19-2009, 03:23 AM
I have sometimes run into religious people who wonder why atheists do not go raping and murdering when nobody is watching them. They seem to think that the reward/punishment dynamic their religion sets up is the ONLY thing that keeps them from being horrible people. Such people have burried their sense of empathy so deep that they don't recognize its there anymore. But it is usually indeed there, as can be seen with apostates who once losing faith still lead pretty moral lives. We know the basics of "right" and "wrong" inherently. We don't need religion or any other ideology to teach it to us.

I understand where they are coming from and you will find one of the reasons in your own response. You rely on these ambiguous sources of morality which can be easily overcome by thought. I know it is grim but face the facts. If a man tries to find a reason beyond his biology, you have nothing to give him. You deny destiny, the soul, ultimate justice, guarantee of good overcoming evil, life after death, and that we are anything more than vibrating atoms.

Personally, if man realized the full implications of atheism, noone would ever want it and you will see much evil done because.... it...doesn't... matter.

This is what religious people are suspicious of. If you guys realized what you were actually pretending to believe. If you realized that it just doesn't matter, none of it, nothing. You are nothing and there is nothing beyond you.

If people realized the ultimate implication of atheism and accepted it, society would burn. But thankfully you guys, for the most part, haven't.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 04:11 AM
The only thing that religion, especially abrahamic religion, adds to morality to create "religious morality" is obedience to power. In fact quite often this obedience is pushed to override our inate sense of empathy. Stories like Abraham and Isaac in the bible show a direct conflict between obedience and morality and obedience is said to be preferred.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 04:17 AM
You seem to be moving us towards a discussion about materialism and the meaning of life. Interesting topics but I'll wait to comment further, as I don't think we've exhausted what we've already been discussing and others may wish to give their views on it. I'll just say that I am indeed a materialist and I do still find a lot of meaning to life. The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

Clover
06-19-2009, 04:37 AM
You seem to be moving us towards a discussion about materialism and the meaning of life. Interesting topics but I'll wait to comment further, as I don't think we've exhausted what we've already been discussing and others may wish to give their views on it. I'll just say that I am indeed a materialist and I do still find a lot of meaning to life. The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
lol, if this gets into the meaning of life, I am afraid I will be forced to jump into this bout, lol.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Meaning doesn't have to be assigned from an external source in order to exist.

جوري
06-19-2009, 05:18 AM
It was Abraham and Ishmael not Issac, nonetheless.. Abraham had things available and manifest unto him that aren't expected or manifested into regular men..

for instance:

(2:60) Behold! Ibrahim said: "My Lord! Show me how Thou givest life to the dead." He said: "Dost thou not then believe?" He said: "Yea! but to satisfy my own understanding." He said: "Take four birds; tame them to turn to thee; put a portion of them on every hill, and call to them; they will come to thee, (flying) with speed. Then know that Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise."

[21:69] We said, "O Fire! be thou cool. and (a means of) safety for Ibrahim!"

In other words, Abraham witnessed, endured and experienced events that aren't by your average joe...

If God asked him to sacrifice his son, it wouldn't be too outlandish given other experiences..

certainly God isn't asking us to sacrifice our sons or daughters.. he meant for us an example of patience, love endurance.. and trust that Allah swt would not make us bear more than one can endure..

That is what a theist takes away from such a story.. it is beyond my personal interest what an atheist takes away from it, but I don't like distortion and for that alone is my reply!

all the best

Trumble
06-19-2009, 05:34 AM
You rely on these ambiguous sources of morality which can be easily overcome by thought.
What 'thought'? The God hypothesis is no more provable or certain than any other, it just has much less evidence in it's favour. Perhaps you mean 'wishful thinking'? The principle wishful thought being that, throughout history, the displayed 'moral' behaviour of theists has been significantly different from that of atheists? It hasn't.

I know it is grim but face the facts. If a man tries to find a reason beyond his biology, you have nothing to give him. You deny destiny, the soul, ultimate justice, guarantee of good overcoming evil, life after death, and that we are anything more than vibrating atoms.
It is theists who refuse to face the 'facts'! There is no 'reason', nor 'destiny', nor 'soul', nor 'guarantee of good overcoming evil'. As a Buddhist, of course, I might differ with other atheists on 'ultimate justice' and (in one way) 'life after death' - not a plus, in our case - but in both instances it is simply a result of the way the universe works, in the same way as an apple falling to the ground if you drop it is a result of the way the universe works. Most atheists can lead full, happy (and no less selfish-centred or altruistic than anybody else) lives in full acceptance, rather than denial, of what all the evidence suggests are facts.

This is what religious people are suspicious of. If you guys realized what you were actually pretending to believe. If you realized that it just doesn't matter, none of it, nothing. You are nothing and there is nothing beyond you.
Nobody is 'pretending' to believe anything, even if opinions differ between those in the same 'camp', as it were. It is a good debate, and there is no justification in attempting to patronize those participating.

If people realized the ultimate implication of atheism and accepted it, society would burn.
Total nonsense. Society could be totally Buddhist for a start, and 'burn' far less than if constituted by assorted bunches of competing theists... as history clearly shows us.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2009, 05:37 AM
However you dress it up, it is a clear case of of obedience to god vs morality and it demonstrates that the God is more about obedience than morality. If this God/Story was about morality it would have ended with Abraham saying something like "No God, I will not kill my son, for you have taught me to be more moral than that" and god saying he passed the test of if Abraham was good enough to stand up for good to an evil authority figure. Instead it does exactly the opposite.

جوري
06-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Well yeah, but with that situation there is at least an easy way of explaining it.
I would agree completely, and it seems to me that we jump the gun a little. The way we tend to do things leads us to ask questions such as "why and for what purpose?" before ones like "is there a reason or purpose?".
Not sure I agree, how can you tell me what life is about or if it is about anything at all?
Obviously the pragmatic side of me has to deal with these things day to day; there's obviously conflict between the rational and emotional especially in adverse situations. When sensations and morality come into play there's no question that one feels they have value, but that's not objectively true. "Good" is essentially "whatever Good feels like", and can't really be defined otherwise and doesn't exist outside your thoughts about it.
Again, misuse is a relative concept, there is no purpose to my existence and therefore no proper use or misuse of my time. Also, free is often not the same as comfortable.

When it comes to comfort at least in my experience it's a big factor. Certainly, more is required of you as a theist but that is fine since, as your rightly pointed out, a desire for answers and purpose pervades human thought. Religion gives people a sense of belonging and direction that to believers is worth a good deal of invested time and effort.
For all history we have been filling the holes in our knowledge, discoveries are stumbled upon such as this one and I'm sure someone will do the science necessary to find out why the old model is flawed and the new one works.
Quite true... Theology is the study of things we can't possibly know about, which to me seems less than useful even for those who are interested.

I can fully respect your views, I only wish to comment on the holes being filled by science bit (and I assume you yourself are a man of science) on just how far behind we are!

just today in the wall street journal another mention of a Genetic engineering company shut down, in spite of fantastic strides they have made manufacturing enzymes for such genetic dz as gaucher's disease, some of these vectors were introduced in the ovaries of mice, which along with the synthesis of such enzymes also gave us some viral mice components.. for a purified cultivate, it spelled major disaster & had to be shut down!

You have so much faith in the good that science can do, as does everyone else, and it is my personal belief (that any such progress is another one of God's gifts that he inspires directly unto men) yet still we are practically in the ice age when it comes to some very basic things for our mere survival, let alone the secrets of the universe....

Inspiration I have always felt, is one of those few gifts we are left with that are some what other worldly.. I don't remember the name of the organic chemist (and God knows it has been a while since O chem) but he dreamt the bonds dancing in the resonance structure an intermediate between single and double bonds... which was in fact later proved the case...being gifted or inspired aren't borne of science though they may contribute to it, they are borne of something quite visceral!

Technical science is but one branch in a wonderous world waiting to be discovered.. but it has no meaning only if you choose not to give it meaning!

all the best

جوري
06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
However you dress it up, it is a clear case of of obedience to god vs morality and it demonstrates that the God is more about obedience than morality. If this God/Story was about morality it would have ended with Abraham saying something like "No God, I will not kill my son, for you have taught me to be more moral than that" and god saying he passed the test of if Abraham was good enough to stand up for good to an evil authority figure. Instead it does exactly the opposite.

There is no dressing, there is only how you choose to interpret it and there is nothing anyone can do to help that..
fact of the matter is he didn't kill his son, and the moral amongst others is having faith that if you live an upstanding life, that you'll be rewarded.. as it turns in the story, even Ishmael was contended with the demand of God!
He didn't drag him against his will!

"Verily! I am going to my Lord. He will guide me! My Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous." SO We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy. And when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you (offer you in sacrifice to Allah), so look what do you think!ý" "O my father! Do that which you are commanded InshAllah (if Allah wills), you shall find me of the patient."
http://www.angelfire.com/on/ummiby1/ishmael.html

Then when they had both submitted themselves to the Will of Allah and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (or on the side of his forehead for slaughtering); and We called out to him: "O Abraham! You have fulfilled the dream (vision!" Verily! Thus do Wereward those who perform good deeds, totally for Allah's sake only. Verily, that indeed was a manifest trial and We ransomed him with a great sacrifice (a ram;) and We left for him ( a goodly remembrance) among generations (to come) in later times. "Salamun (peace) be upon Abraham!" Thus indeed do We reward the Muhsineen (good doers). Verily, he was one of Our believing slaves. (Ch 37:99-111 Quran)

Indeed you are free to your feelings -- but this is where we part ways on your personal understanding of morality.

Self-measured and appraised morality isn't the standard by which the rest measure theirs .. let alone your explanation of what endowed you with that sense to begin with --empathy is a feeling.. and feelings run the gamut..
It doesn't mean much to simply profess I empathize.. it is meaningless without definition..

all the best

aamirsaab
06-19-2009, 08:42 AM
The father is always away on business trips while the kid raises himself. The brother keeps telling the kid the father exists, but the kid doesn't believe it. The brother tells him he should believe that the father is going to come back one day or when the father does he will lock the kid up in that basement mentioned above and whip him silly.

:D
You are missing several dynamics; namely that the brother would be telling the other kid to do XYZ (good) and to avoid ABC (bad) - since this was what his final message was to him from their Dad. In which case, the kid would only be told you're gonna get slapped/whipped/put in a basement if you continue performing ABC (bad) and not XYZ (good).

He'd also be told that had done XYZ, when he nexts sees his father, he'll take him to toys 'r' us (It's an example. I'm allowed to spruce it up a bit! :D).

But how far does it go?
In terms of length; until you die. Just like how a son would continue loving his parents until he dies.

In terms of action; the concept of Jihad is really what answers this. That is: struggling for the sake of Allah - doesn't have to be physical either; can be mental too. Heck, even living is a jihad.

Practically speaking, this can be further narrowed down to the core 5 pillars of Islam:

Tawheed (belief in the oneness of Allah)
Salat (prayer)
Zakat (charity)
Sawm (fasting)
Hajj (pilgrimage)

The hardest one is probably hajj (mainly due to the costs involved - but you only have to do it once in your lifetime.) or fasting (depends on experience). The other 3 are relatively easy.

What do you muslims think of the biblical story of Abraham and Isaac where God gets Abraham ready and willing to kill his son?
First off; Abraham was a Prophet (the messengers of Allah are always tested in considerably harsher and more unusual ways, to other followers).

Secondly; we as followers of those teachings do NOT have to perform that specific action - all we need to do is understand the concepts; in this case Trust in Allah, Making sacrifices (and you can read as deep into that all you want, entirely up to you) and Belief in His words. And act upon that.

Azy
06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I only wish to comment on the holes being filled by science bit on just how far behind we are! ...we are practically in the ice age when it comes to some very basic things for our mere survival, let alone the secrets of the universe....

Technical science is but one branch in a wonderous world waiting to be discovered.. but it has no meaning only if you choose not to give it meaning!
Don't get me wrong, I would totally agree that we're not nearly as accomplished as we'd like to think. A little over 10,000 years since the birth of agriculture and 200 years since the invention of the tin can. Things are progressing at a decent pace though and I can't imagine what will have been achieved or discovered in another 200 years, let alone 10,000.

Science is descriptive and for me technical science is just a means to provide a more accurate description of the things around us.
To Azy
Hi;

Well, I'd have to disagree with you there. To take your example of the cats. According to the theist's point of view, these cats <as many other species> have obviously been designed with the function to reproduce. So their ability to reproduce does not negate that everything complex must come from a design. The design just goes further back, to the first specie in their tree of descent (I believe in evolution of different species, but not in common descent of all existing species). So, although of course this is "from the theist's p.o.v." it still refutes your argument as it shows that your argument is circular.
Hi Steve :D
The word 'obviously' crops up a little too often in theistic reasoning and generally means a few assumptions have been made. After all, if it was so obvious we wouldn't be having this discussion.

All I'm asking is for you to take a step back and look at the world without assumptions about creation. You see species recreating in numerous different ways, changing slightly with each generation. You see snapshots of previous organisms in the rocks, from simple organisms -> complex organisms. That modern organisms were designed the way they are by some other-worldly power would not be the first thing that came to my mind.

Out of curiosity, how do you mesh the two statements 'cats <as many other species> have obviously been designed' and 'I believe in evolution of different species'?
Just because we have never witnessed it, doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in the past.
No it doesn't, but that wasn't really my point. There are many other explanations that I have no evidence for or experience of, but I'm not just going to pick one out of a hat.
Secondly, as far as I know there is no perfectly reasonable alternative that answers the anthropic principle. The parts of the theory of evolution that are scientific, is only half the answer. It still doesn't account for existence.
I'm not surprised the anthropic principle is popular with theists as any conclusions one might attain from it are impossible to prove or disprove (at present).
That question is un-reasonable. As I explained to Thinker in this post, If our universe is indeed created by a creator, obviously that creator is not part of said universe and is not inside the dimension of time. Thus asking us "at which time" did the creator do this or that makes no sense.
That was exactly my point, and it seems equally unreasonable when applied to the universe.
Causation and creation are essentially temporal; outside of time they don't really have any meaning. Saying that he exists and manipulates events from outside space-time or before time is just wordplay.
I would rather say: "things exist against all odds, therefore something with intent and intelligence must have created them"
Oh... what are the odds?
I don't think so. That is not a scientific explanation. So If any scientists says something like that, he is just expressing his personal believes, and not representing science....
This is all highly speculative, and just one of the thousands of different "semi-scientific" explanations.
It's perfectly scientific and far from being the opinion of one or two people.

AntiKarateKid
07-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Do atheists believe something like reality or the universe (or contents/ laws that govern the Big Bang) exist without a creator? I am sure you are aware of the infinite regression that follows without Allah, the uncreated beginning.

If you ask "where did Allah come from" Id argue that since Allah is metaphysical, things like origin don't apply in that realm. But they sure do in this physical realm.

Pygoscelis
07-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Do atheists believe something like reality or the universe (or contents/ laws that govern the Big Bang) exist without a creator? I am sure you are aware of the infinite regression that follows without Allah, the uncreated beginning.
Most atheists I personally know, including myself, are simply honest enough to admit that they don't know how or if the universe had a start. I feel no discomfort in not knowing and I feel no need to latch onto or create a story to explain it. Creation myths are just another case of God-of-the-gaps.

If you ask "where did Allah come from" Id argue that since Allah is metaphysical, things like origin don't apply in that realm. But they sure do in this physical realm.
Well sure, you can turn Allah into magic to avoid the application of logic to him, but any non-believer is going to see that as a cop-out.

nocturne
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
This i do not agree with. Morality these days do not originate from our "moral compass". Morality these days are shaped by what is perceived as right by the society. most people do not bad things and do good things because they do not want to looked down by the society.

Just look out how different we are, when we know no one is watching us (of cuz, religious ppl would think, god is watching us all the time), people act differently and do things that they would not normally do in public.

I have only one wish, to be remembered. If I had the assurance that I'd be remembered internationally before I die, I'd die a very happy man. I think I'll die happy either way, if I die in war then at least I was doing something, and if I die old, at least I can say I did my best.
Your point comes across as something interesting, you are not bothered what happens after death but you want to leave behind ur memory in this kind, when you won't be here. How is that beneficial to you?

You are more interested in leaving behind a legacy than taking responsibilities of your actions.

Zafran
07-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Most atheists I personally know, including myself, are simply honest enough to admit that they don't know how or if the universe had a start. I feel no discomfort in not knowing and I feel no need to latch onto or create a story to explain it. Creation myths are just another case of God-of-the-gaps.

Well sure, you can turn Allah into magic to avoid the application of logic to him, but any non-believer is going to see that as a cop-out.

There are only 2 problems I have

1 - Your sure that there is no God right as your position is atheist - or is there a possiblity according to you?

2 - There are many logical arguments (I'm sure you've heard of some of them) that can prove God - however you dont accept those arguments - its as simple as that.

Azy
07-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I am sure you are aware of the infinite regression that follows without Allah, the uncreated beginning.
I don't see how an uncreated Allah removes the infinite regression problem. From a scientific non-theist point of view this isn't a problem, time and space are two aspects of the same thing, there is no such thing as time without the universe.
It's highly convenient that despite his being beyond detection, you can tell us whether we are right or wrong about what properties God does have simply because you say so.

format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
This i do not agree with. Morality these days do not originate from our "moral compass". Morality these days are shaped by what is perceived as right by the society. most people do not bad things and do good things because they do not want to looked down by the society.
Animals know that their offspring are not a tasty snack but something to be protected. Experiments on monkeys have shown them behave altruistically and understand such things as fairness and equal rewards. If they don't need telling these things, why do we?

2 - There are many logical arguments (I'm sure you've heard of some of them) that can prove God - however you dont accept those arguments - its as simple as that.
Interesting, I've never heard a logically valid argument for God, and I've heard quite a few. Any ones in particular you'd like to share?

Zafran
07-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Interesting, I've never heard a logically valid argument for God, and I've heard quite a few. Any ones in particular you'd like to share?
Like the Kalam Cosmological argumnet - that relies on finite past.

Trumble
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Actually, all of the important arguments for the existence of God are logically valid, or at least have a plausible case to be so, which is the about the most that can be said for the Kalam Cosmological Argument. If they didn't, nobody would give them the time of day. The usual reason such arguments fail to 'prove' anything is that their premises can be plausibly rejected, and that includes the KCA again.

Zafran
07-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Actually, all of the important arguments for the existence of God are logically valid, or at least have a plausible case to be so, which is the about the most that can be said for the Kalam Cosmological Argument. If they didn't, nobody would give them the time of day. The usual reason such arguments fail to 'prove' anything is that their premises can be plausibly rejected, and that includes the KCA again.
all arguments can be rejected - The main thing is that there are logical arguments out there for the existence of God - Its up to the individual to accept or reject them.

Azy
07-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Sorry, I was mixing my terms, you're right in that the structure and (usually) reasoning used is valid but the premises are often vague or unfounded, which is pretty much what I meant but I wasn't expressing myself very well. I'll try to be good in future.
Like the Kalam Cosmological argumnet - that relies on finite past.
The cosmological argument is pretty weak, and it's not just about me rejecting something I don't like, it's flawed in a few pretty big ways.

The argument usually takes the form:
1 Whatever begins to exist, has a cause of its existence.
2 The universe began to exist.
3 Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence (and that cause is God).

Cause and effect don't always work in the tidy way that seems intuitive. e.g. In radioactive decay, one cannot determine when or why a particular particle will decay, only that it will decay in a certain time with a given probability. There is no classical "snooker ball" cause and effect, particularly at the quantum level.

If we are to say Y has a cause, what we mean is X is the cause of Y and X precedes Y in time. As far as we know, time did not exist before the universe so to say that something can cause it makes no sense if we understand that the cause must happen before the effect.

Also there's the obvious jump at the end.
The universe must have a cause, therefore that cause must be God. Why must it be God, and is there any reason to think that such a thing is even plausible?

Trumble
07-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Sorry, I was mixing my terms, you're right in that the structure and (usually) reasoning used is valid but the premises are often vague or unfounded, which is pretty much what I meant but I wasn't expressing myself very well. I'll try to be good in future.
Hehe.. sorry, didn't mean to lecture! I was making the point just to clarify that an argument can be perfectly 'logical' without being sound, and that such an argument can be assessed on the basis of argument and evidence, and not some arbitrary decision to 'accept' or 'reject' it based on, presumably, prior beliefs.

Pygoscelis
07-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Also there's the obvious jump at the end.
The universe must have a cause, therefore that cause must be God. Why must it be God, and is there any reason to think that such a thing is even plausible?
And there is another jump after that. It was created by God. Which God? A lot of people seem to want to go from "It was created by a mystical force (God)" to "And he doesn't want you to eat pork or work on Sunday".

nocturne
07-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Animals know that their offspring are not a tasty snack but something to be protected. Experiments on monkeys have shown them behave altruistically and understand such things as fairness and equal rewards. If they don't need telling these things, why do we?
As such, there are many examples of animals that eat their own young.

And where has the understanding of things such as fairness and equal rewards have got us?

Although, i agree on one thing with the atheists, there has to be a leap of faith on many issues.

Azy
07-05-2009, 10:54 AM
None of that changes the fact that a great many species exhibit behaviour that theists consider 'learned morality'.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.