/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Career/Deen?

AnonymousPoster
06-13-2009, 10:01 PM
:sl:
Im stuck with endless options right now.
Ive recently finshed my Gcse's and I don't know which job root to go down.
Since ths recent year ive been trying my hardest to improve my self. I dnt wanna see all my hard effort go to waste from one bad decision.

I want to pick a job root which will will not make me comprimise my deen.
I want to help people using the skills I have.

and this is whereI get stuck.Beacuse I dnt no where I can start.
Im creative and hardworking. But I dnt see what particular job would suit me best to help the ummah.

Im torn between Architecture (Which Ive always wanted to do,but invloves male contact in the enviroment. like for instance on site.)
And
Healthcare.
(Which is pretty obvious in helping people)

Should I do Istikarah. Or wait. Or...make my mind up....
Replies will be massivy appricaited.
Jazakallah in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raudha
06-13-2009, 10:56 PM
^Do Istikharah to save yourself from regret later on in life.
You can also weigh the advantages and disadvantages of both fields (consider the studying as well as the working later on in life) and decide from there.
Teaching is also a great way to help people while remaining in touch with your Deen at the same time.

All the best sister. May Allah keep you happy. Ameen

The Ruler
06-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Architecture or Medicine will both require you to come in contact with the male species. They're everywhere, I tell you.

Maimunah
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
^ wats wrong with that

pray stikharah n then choose the one that really intrest you the most

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
06-13-2009, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maimunah
^ wats wrong with that
I'm not saying there's something wrong that, daisy. I'm just pointing out the fact that whatever the OP does, she won't be able to escape interacting with men.

Yanal
06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
If it is about health,helping people is good.

crayon
06-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Actually, choose one, and then make istikhara. Istikhara is meant to be done when you decide on something. So if you're torn between two things, you must decide first, and then pray istikhara. If your decision is best for you, Allah will make it happen. If it is not the correct decision, Allah will keep you away from it.

mutwazin
06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Assalamu Alaikum...

i dont know how architecture is....but i did medicine, and i think people usually dont know that there is a LOT of contact with the opposite sex involved in medicine...and im not talking about just having meetings and discussions...there is something in medicine called 'physical examination' and people usually skip that part when theyre thinking of medicine...they think its just talk, talk, talk and then give them the drugs...

im just telling you this to let you see the whole picture...medicine Does feel really rewarding at the end of the day Alhamdulillah...but im glad im done with my bachelors and i can just stick to examining kids and women from now on InshaAllah...

mutwazin
06-14-2009, 09:31 AM
oh and Do perform istikharah before making a decision...it IS the prayer for goodness...

May Allah help you make the right choice...

Ummu Sufyaan
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
wa alaykum us-Salaam sis
i would advice you to choose one that has the lesser evil, innit...or just do something like teaching :p but yh do pray istkhara...:)

AnonymousPoster
06-14-2009, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
But I dnt see what particular job would suit me best to help the ummah.

Why don't you do psychology with the Islamic perspective and treat/help women only. There is a great need for this because there are so many Muslim sisters who are suffering from mental problems/depression/eating disorders/marriage problems etc who are having to turn to non Muslim counsellors/psychologists because there are no, or very few Muslim ones, who can guide them with sound Islamic advice.

We need Muslim women counsellors, and who are also very knowledgeable in their religion, and who can help these women. We need someone like Hadrat 'Aisha (R.A), who can also help these women with other women related fiqh issues.

Perhaps you should consider doing something along these lines. No contact with men either. And a great blessed cause.

Just a suggestion.

AnonymousPoster
06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
^ Anon 2 [sorry]

crayon
06-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I personally believe there is good in everything, that you can make anything you choose suit your islamic needs. For example, if you did architecture, perhaps you could specialize in building mosques? Then your contact would be limited to mainly muslims, which even if some of whom are men, at least they will observe proper etiquette and know the boundaries of dealing with a muslim woman. If you do healthcare, as soon as you're done uni, you can focus on only treating women and children.

Like the Ruler said, there are men everywhere. There are some things that usually contain less contact with them, but ultimately, you will have to deal with them in one form or another if you're going to work.

Personally, when I was deciding what I wanted to study in university, I didn't look at which job that could provide me with. I'm not too crazy about working. I do want to work, but part time, and with whatever hours I choose- I want my job to be flexible. I chose something that I would enjoy studying. And then later on if I do happen to want/need to work, I will have this degree to pursue whichever job I like.

Also, what you study in university does not condemn you to working with that for the rest of your life. Plenty of people study one thing in uni, and end up working with something completely different. There's lots of room to maneouver a lot of the time when it comes to work. Of course, there are some jobs that require a specific degree, such as being a doctor, or lawyer, etc., but there are also others that can work with several degrees, or just any degree at all.

Just some of my thoughts, perhaps you'll find one of them helpful inshaAllah.

piXie
06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I personally believe there is good in everything
n.. some things have more good in them than other things. So choose the one with more good. :D

crayon
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
^True, but in cases where you're unsure which one has the most good, know that inshaAllah both do, even if one has slightly more than the other.

- IqRa -
06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Istikharah.

AnonymousPoster
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Jazakallah to ALL the replies. It seems from most of them I need to really do Istikara.

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I personally believe there is good in everything, that you can make anything you choose suit your islamic needs. For example, if you did architecture, perhaps you could specialize in building mosques? Then your contact would be limited to mainly muslims, which even if some of whom are men, at least they will observe proper etiquette and know the boundaries of dealing with a muslim woman. If you do healthcare, as soon as you're done uni, you can focus on only treating women and children.
Crayon I totally understand where your coming from with Architecture in helping people, but it DOES take 7 YEARS to qualify as a professional Architect, and you gotta work your way up from there. Im NOW really sure that Architecture is what I want to do.
Even though medicine sounds really good to me, but nearly everything ive done, has been for architecture, like which A-Levels I want to do that Univercities look for in Architecture and so on.
Its been something ive wanted to do for a long time.

Insha'Allah I will do Istakara..

Al-Zaara
06-15-2009, 03:29 PM
^ Please, do so.

You sound really passionate about Architecture, mashaAllah.

Remember, you don't have to save the world based on what career you have. You can do lots of other things for the Muslim community on the side, whilst still doing the thing you are passionate about. You might be very keen to build mosques and maybe schools for Muslims specifically, but if not, you could build other kinds of buildings and also (for example) every month donate extra money to something (organization, fundraising) that further helps the Muslim community. You can be helpful whilst still being in the background, it doesn't have to be "the architectur who builds mosques" or "female doctor who works for females only"... Nothing bad in that, no way, just saying! I believe most if not all careers can become an helpful tool for improving Muslims' situations. You just have to look at things from new perspectives and angles instead of the traditional ways.

InshaAllah things go well for you.

crayon
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Go for it sis, may Allah make whatever is best for you happen. :)

AnonymousPoster
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. It'd really helped.:D
May Allah reward you all.:statisfie
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.