/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it unfair if good non-Muslims go to hell?

doorster
06-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Name of Questioner: Mohd Yusof - Singapore

Title: Isn't it unfair if good non-Muslims go to hell?
Date: 27/Aug/2002

Question

Dear Sir,

If I may ask, are the non-believers deemed to go to hell?

If that is so, then isn’t it unfair if there are non-Muslims who are (in conduct) way better than some Muslims, but still destined for hell?

Topic : Interfaith Issues, Human Rights, Non-Muslims
Name of Counsellor Shahul Hameed

Answer
Hello Yusof, Assalamu ‘alaikum wa rahmatullah, thank you for your question.

You know, we have to find answers for questions like the one you have raised here, by consulting the Holy Qur’an and hadith of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). That is because these two are the original sources and foundations of Islam.

So, let us go to the Qur’an to find what it says about the fate of Non-Muslims:
Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Surah 2 Verse 62
Here we find that Islam teaches that all people whether technically Jews or Christians or even Sabians (an ancient religious group) are entitled to be rewarded from God. That is on the condition that they believe in God and the Day of Judgment and lead a good life.

This is quite different than the Jewish and Christian beliefs. Jews believe that the Children of Israel are the ones specially chosen by God for all His blessings. Similarly Christians maintain that those who believe in Christ’s atonement are guaranteed of heaven, irrespective of their actions. Unlike both these groups, Islam holds that any one who leads a good correct life, here on earth, on the basis that there is a God Who is the Supreme Ruler and Judge of all His creatures, will be rewarded in the hereafter.

Here we need to understand who a Muslim is. A Muslim is a person who submits to God. It is not the name of a caste or race. That is to say, any human can be a Muslim if:
(a)He believes in one and only one God.
(b)He leads a good life by submitting to that one God.
One can ask whether this also is an exclusivist stand. The answer is that there cannot but be a dividing line between good and evil. Those who court evil are naturally excluded from Divine Grace. It is a law of nature, (in other words, God’s own law) that we are destined to face the consequences of our decisions and actions. A person’s action is considered good or bad based on the intention behind it. The Prophet (pbuh) has said:

‘Actions are judged on the basis of intentions.’

For example, think of a person who unknowingly gave poison to a patient, thinking that it was medicine. If the patient dies as a consequence, we do not consider that person a murderer. It is because the sincere intention was good. Thus, we can see that many apparently bad actions need not really be bad and vice versa. We can go a little further and say that good intentions in themselves become good, if they are based on the right philosophy or the right belief. As for our earthly life, we should take care that our actions are motivated by the right purposes, arising from the right beliefs.

Islam provides a philosophy, a world-view, in which the source of all good is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe. This means that the way of life Islam teaches is divinely ordained and that it is quite in conformity with the principles on which the whole universe functions. It is the same Creator Who has decided that His reward is for those who follow His laws. There is no real sense in saying that He should reward those who deny, even His existence!

A non-Muslim, by definition, is a person who does not recognize God as a Sovereign Law giver Who rewards the good and punishes the bad. For this reason, he has no claim to any reward from God. He may be doing apparently good deeds; but his good deeds are not based on seeking to do God's will. So they can only get the instrumentally good results that they can naturally have in this world, and not the reward of the other world which can only come from morally good acts.

As for Muslims, who apparently hold the right beliefs - they will get the Divine reward only if they lead good lives derived from the right beliefs. Islam, unlike [much or some of] Christianity, does not teach that faith alone can save a person. Both faith and exerting effort are necessary; they are the two sides of the same coin.

For more answers on this subject see:Salvation

See also:
Disbeliever's Good Deeds: Can They Take Him to Paradise?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamic-s
06-14-2009, 02:14 AM
Alsallam alaykum wr wb brothers and sisters

I would like to also add that the Quran teaches that mankind will not face a more just judge then God. The particular verse didnt specify muslims or none, it said specifically mankind, therefor easily one can see the mercy of Allah on all of mankind. I know God will be fair and Just with all people, the punishment is not from Allah is from what they brought on themselves... Jazakon Allah Khayr

innerawareness
06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
isnt the simple answer: who defines 'unfair' ????

doorster
06-14-2009, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by innerawareness
isnt the simple answer: who defines 'unfair' ????
would you care to expand on that "pearl of wisdom" (I did not understand it)

PS. did you find something objectionable in the article in OP, if so can you enlighten lil ole me?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Clover
06-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I think their is a mistake in the topic. When it says "Islam, unlike Christianity, does not teach that faith alone can save a person. Both faith and exerting effort are necessary; they are the two sides of the same coin."

The RCC has had many cases where priests in confession give men/women a, I guess you could call it 'mission' to do something, in order to atone for something they did. So, I believe that would be a false statement.

Also, I have heard of some Protestant Sects doing this, including Lutherans.

doorster
06-14-2009, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
I think their is a mistake in the topic. When it says "Islam, unlike Christianity, does not teach that faith alone can save a person. Both faith and exerting effort are necessary; they are the two sides of the same coin."

The RCC has had many cases where priests in confession give men/women a, I guess you could call it 'mission' to do something, in order to atone for something they did. So, I believe that would be a false statement.

Also, I have heard of some Protestant Sects doing this, including Lutherans.
is it some thing like "Say: Our Father; Say: three Hail Marys; Say: Glory Be ...."?

Clover
06-14-2009, 12:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
is it some thing like "Say: Our Father; Say: three Hail Marys; Say: Glory Be ...."?
lol, I have heard of that, but usually I have heard they have to donate to charity more then usual, or go into some sort of community help project through the Church, etc. It can be a lot of different things, I don't have first hand experience since I was never Catholic or any protestant sect that did that.

nisha_fav88
06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
When christians say they believe in god they mean jesus..jews have their own god similarly hindu's have their own set of god's. however the only one true god is ALLAH (swt), hence i beleive u can only enter jannah by beleiveing in ALLAH (swt), everyone has the oppurtunity to enter islam at some stage of their life, some accept it others dont which is their own mistake..ALLAH knows best

Clover
06-14-2009, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nisha_fav88
When christians say they believe in god they mean jesus..jews have their own god similarly hindu's have their own set of god's. however the only one true god is ALLAH (swt), hence i beleive u can only enter jannah by beleiveing in ALLAH (swt), everyone has the oppurtunity to enter islam at some stage of their life, some accept it others dont which is their own mistake..ALLAH knows best
I believe a lot of people, believe, Allah is the same god as the Christians and the Jews, so they would be believening Allah.

doorster
06-14-2009, 12:10 PM
lol, I have heard of that, but usually I have heard they have to donate to charity more then usual, or go into some sort of community help project through the Church, etc. It can be a lot of different things, I don't have first hand experience since I was never Catholic or any protestant sect that did that.
:) ok its etited (marked red) hope it is satisfactory now

peace

nisha_fav88
06-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I believe a lot of people, believe, Allah is the same god as the Christians and the Jews, so they would be believening Allah.
even if tht is the case just saying i beleive in ALLAH is not going to take you anywhere, u have practice islam bcos islam is not just a religion its a way of life which u hve to live. so even if these christians and jews are believing in ALLAH indirectly theyr not actually practicing islam

Rabi'ya
06-14-2009, 12:13 PM
It is true that many people have had the opportunity to encounter and get to know Islam more deeply. But as to whether the heart is soft enough to realise it or accept it is completely another thing.

What about people for example who have never heard of ISlam, for example some tribes in Africa or South America. They are almost completely if not totally shut off from the outside world. And those who they do have contact with are almost never Muslims.

aadil77
06-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I think the article should have made it clear that the 'true' christians, jews, sabians who followed the correct teachings of their prophets at the time were also muslims and will go to heaven without doubt.

And also the seriousness of shirk has not been mentioned

Ummu Sufyaan
06-14-2009, 12:16 PM
:sl:
^ try this sis http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/10065/ignorance :)

aadil77
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
What about people for example who have never heard of ISlam, for example some tribes in Africa or South America. They are almost completely if not totally shut off from the outside world. And those who they do have contact with are almost never Muslims.
Yes and that should have been addressed as well, but we know Allah will deal with them all justly. But we know that those tribes are sincere in faith as we've seen that many of these african tribes have accepted islam once they were taught about it

doorster
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nisha_fav88
can you refute the article point by point?

and do you think that whole of humanity should be forced, at gunpoint, to become Muslim (to save them from hell)? do their intentions count for anything? does it matter how they hear of Islam? do you think Israeli Jews are going to hell because they are not impressed by Islam of hizb e shaitan (which you may know of as Hizbullah) or by 2-faces of al-Saud and gang?

examples from past that keep coming to mind are shiite of Iran, alevis of Turkey and eastern Europe, and many many "Muslims" of Pakistan
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
only quoting for reference
you and islamqa are not worth replying to or worthy of refutation on this pro Munnajjid forum because you will get the reply deleted as has happened many times before :(

nisha_fav88
06-14-2009, 12:34 PM
you dont need gunpoint to follow islam..u just need an open mind and a soft heart. today islam is the fast growing religion across europe and usa..whos holding a gun to their heads??? who goes to heaven and who goes to hell is for ALLAH swt to decide not u or me.
and i didnt get wat u said abt hizb e shaitan and al saud

Eric H
06-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Gretings and peace be with you doorster;
and do you think that whole of humanity should be forced, at gunpoint, to become Muslim (to save them from hell)?
It was wrong when the Christians held this position during the inquisitions, thinking it was better to torture someone into believing, so they can be saved.

We mess things up, we cannot understand true justice. We must pray for each other, that we might all find salvation, despite all our differences.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people despite our differences.

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.