/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wiki article on Arab Christians

ragdollcat1982
06-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Ever since I was a child I have had a fascination with Arab culture and of course Islam goes hand in hand with it. However I have recently learned that there are a unique group of those of my faith that are Arabic speakers and ethinically Arab that have coexisted along side with Muslims for centuries. I thought this Wiki article was interesting and wanted to share it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Ch...ing_Christians

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
06-15-2009, 12:23 AM
:sl:

You can never trust wiki.
Can you trust Wikipedia?The founder of the online encyclopedia written and edited by its users has admitted some of its entries are 'a horrific embarrassment'. What did our panel of experts think of the entries for their fields?
Buzz up!
Digg it
The Guardian, Monday 24 October 2005 Article historyMike Barnes on the Steve Reich entry

Factually, the entry on the composer Steve Reich is sound. All the facts that I have cross-checked were correct, but some of the writing is unhelpful. Take the first line of the entry: "Reich is popularly regarded as repetitive and minimalist, but in some works deviates from a purely minimalist style, which shows some connection to Minimalism and the work of Reich's visual artist friends such as Sol Lewitt and Richard Serra."

Run that past me again! In cases like these, I wonder if Lewitt and Serra were indeed his friends, and cross- referencing the entries on those artists, there is no mention of Reich.

I don't know how much the Life And Work entry was limited by space, but it's unsatisfactory as an overview. The writer obviously knows what Reich is all about, but out of a total of eight often short paragraphs there is a long paragraph devoted to Four Organs, which seems strange given that it is singled out as "unique in the context of Reich's other pieces". But then this thumbnail sketch inexplicably misses out all the pieces Reich wrote between 1978 and 1993, which included some significant works.

These cavils aside, it's obvious that someone has taken care to make the entry factually accurate, even if the way it is written lacks clarity and doesn't necessarily inspire confidence. But with the Reich entry itself, and the links to other minimalist composers' entries and websites, one can access an impressive amount of information quickly.

Overall mark: 7/10

· Mike Barnes interviews Steve Reich in the current edition of Wire.

Alexandra Shulman on the Haute couture entry

Broadly speaking, it's inaccurate and unclear. It talks about haute couture and then lists a large number of ready-to-wear designers. As a very, very broad-sweep description there are a few correct facts included, but every value judgment it makes is wrong.

Overall mark: 0/10

· Alexandra Shulman is editor of Vogue

Mark Kurlansky on the Basque people entry

Three things bothered me about the entry.

1. It says: "Aquitanians spoke a language which is proven beyond doubt to be akin to Basque." I am not familiar with the Aquitaine language but would be very surprised if it bore any relation to Euskera, the Basque language.

2. It is not exactly right to claim, as Wikipedia does, that after 1975 Eta continued despite the end of Basque persecution. After the death of Franco the Spanish passed a constitution that Basque nationalists (a narrow majority of Basques) boycotted. The constitution has a number of problems. For the first time in Spanish history it made Castillian the official language of Spain. It also forbade any discussion of the break up of the Spanish state, so there cannot even be a referendum on the Basque future. More important, the Guardia Civil has remained as an occupying army. The Spanish arrest thousands of Basques every year. Most of them are beaten or tortured and then released. Newspapers and political parties are shut down. In one recent case a Basque-language paper was closed down because it was able to quote an Eta source in its reporting. Over the years, Eta has grown ever smaller. But there has been no comparable lessening of repression by the Spanish.

3. The entry talks of Navarra as though it is a non-Basque region where a lot of Basques happen to live. There are actually seven Basque provinces, each with its own dialect of Euskera and slightly varying traditions. Four of them are in Spain and Navarra is one of them. Northern Navarra is in fact one of the most traditional Basque places in terms of language, architecture, and culture.

Overall mark: 7/10

· Mark Kurlansky is author of The Basque History of the World

Anthony Julius on the TS Eliot entry

It's not terrible. But then I wouldn't have thought of using Wikipedia as a serious reference source.

No glaring inaccuracies jump out at me. It doesn't list my book in the bibliography, but there are plenty of other useful links. The Waste Land is highlighted and when I click on it, a separate entry for the book pops up. There's a Four Quartets bit, too, and all the plays. And when I click on the year 1922, I get a page telling me what else happened that year. Eliot is at the centre of a whole web of other references.

It's purely factual and not in any way analytical, but then that's all you want from this sort of thing.

Overall mark: 6/10

· Anthony Julius is author of TS Eliot, Anti-Semitism and Literary Form

Claire Tomalin on the Samuel Pepys entry

This provides a fairly substantial introduction to Pepys. However, there are a few small inaccuracies. It says that he married "Elisabeth St Michel", which should be "de St Michel", at St Margaret's, Wesminster in December 1655. In fact there was an earlier wedding on October 10, the anniversary they always celebrated. It was probably a religious ceremony, whereas the December one was a civil ceremony, the only kind legal under Cromwell.

The entry suggests Pepys's diary was started as a new year's resolution, but there is no evidence to support this. It also misspells Henry Wheatley, who was responsible for a good edition of the diary, as Wheatly.

More important are the omissions. It fails to say that Edward Montagu became the Earl of Sandwich. There is no mention of Pepys's Tangier diary. And it says, "he was variously MP for Castle Rising, Norfolk; for Sandwich; and for Harwich. Most of these constituencies had connections with his patron Edward Montagu." In fact, Pepys was elected for Sandwich but was contested and immediately withdrew, returning to Harwich. His patron was not Edward Montagu but the Duke of York. It should also really mention the stone Pepys suffered from throughout his childhood and youth, and which he had surgically removed in 1658, a brave and risky decision that changed his life, and without which there would have been no diary.

And it is poor on the diary itself. There is no appreciation of its literary merits. It ends with, "Reading it, one cannot help thinking how very much we must all be alike. His characteristic closing sentence was: 'And so to bed'." Which is hardly a worthy summary of the literary merits of one of our great literary works.

But sophisticated lit crit would be asking a lot of a small, free encyclopedia entry. There's a lot of good basic stuff in it, and I can't be rude about the bibliography because I'm in it!

Overall mark: 6/10

· Claire Tomalin is author of Pepys: The Unequalled Self

Derek Barker on the Bob Dylan entry

I can't find anything much wrong with it. I'm not very familiar with Wikipedia - I've never looked through the Dylan entry before. It's reasonably comprehensive but there are such a number of obsessive Dylan fans out there to make corrections that I can't see very much wrong. If you are just browsing and want to check something on Dylan then I guess the prose style doesn't matter. But Dylan fans tend to be quite literary, so some of the writing might piss people off.

Overall mark: 8/10

· Derek Barker is editor of the Dylan magazine Isis

Robert McHenry on the Encyclopedia entry

Reading the entry on "encyclopedia" leaves one with the impression that it was written by someone who had no previous knowledge of the subject and who, once he got into it, found it did not interest him very much. He browsed here and there in one or more reference works and noted what seemed important, but had no understanding of the cultural and historical contexts involved. In other words, it is a school essay, sketchy and poorly balanced.

The article is of modest length at 2,000 words (compare Britannica's corresponding article at about 26,000 words). The longest discussion of a particular work is of Thomas Browne's Pseudodoxia Epidemica, hardly an encyclopedia at all. The 120-odd words on Browne contrast oddly with the treatment given what was arguably the most influential encyclopedia in European history: "The French translation of [Chambers] was the inspiration of the Encyclopédie, perhaps the most famous early encyclopedia, edited by Jean le Rond d'Alembert and Denis Diderot and published from 175 [sic] to 1772 in 28 volumes, 71,818 articles, 2,885 illustrations." Was it famous for the number of its illustrations, one is left to wonder? (And by the way, the full first edition had 35 volumes.)

A cynic might conclude that the whole article exists chiefly as a context for this paragraph: "Traditional encyclopedias are written by a number of employed text writers, usually people with an academic degree. This is not the case with Wikipedia, a project started in 2001 with the goal to create a free encyclopedia. Anyone can add or improve text, images, and sounds ... By 2004 the project has managed to produce over a million articles in over 80 languages."

Overall mark: 5/10

· Robert McHenry was editor-in-chief of the Encyclopedia Britannica from 1992 to 1997

Whatsthepoint
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Arab Christians tend to be wealthier than other Arabs and hence emigrate in higher numbers.

Trumble
06-16-2009, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
:sl:

You can never trust wiki.
Possibly not, but are you able to offer any particular criticism of the article on Arab Christians rather than just a pointless ad hominem?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
06-16-2009, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Arab Christians tend to be wealthier than other Arabs and hence emigrate in higher numbers.

do you have any proof of their 'more wealthier'?
I'll say they immigrate more because they are always playing the discrimination card, not because they have anything more to offer than their Muslim counterparts

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
do you have any proof of their 'more wealthier'?
I'll say they immigrate more because they are always playing the discrimination card, not because they have anything more to offer than their Muslim counterparts
I saw it in a documentary about Lebanon and in another one about Palestinian Christians.

glo
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Very interesting article, ragdollcat. Thanks for sharing. :)

Banu_Hashim
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
We know of a Iraqi family (Christian) who speak Arabic and Aramaic. Their daughter goes to the same school as my little sister.

جوري
06-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I saw it in a documentary about Lebanon and in another one about Palestinian Christians.

care to share the article? Project MAPS from George Washington University survey seems to say otherwise..

can't really go on a documentary you saw!

all the best

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
care to share the article? Project MAPS from George Washington University survey seems to say otherwise..

can't really go on a documentary you saw!

all the best
Well, I got my information from the documentraies not an article and I don't know whether the claims are true.
Here are some articles I found
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/...re-fleeing--02
http://books.google.si/books?id=lCE4...esult&resnum=5
http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=30893&sec=4&con=35

Post the project MAPS from GW University that proves otherwise.

جوري
06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
indeed one confirms what I said
Pope arriving as Christians are fleeing, as they often play the discrimination card to gain favor and come to the west. There was on Egyptian guy being indicted for killing a Muslim family, alleged discrimination against him by Muslims, came to the U.S, luckily they had enough sense to send him back to be tried, but it is certainly not uncommon for them to make such claims to escape!

the other is a book from 1971 and concerns the isolated population of a folk under constant war and strife. I believe indeed that the Lebanese Christians especially have it better than their Muslim counter parts, and that they gain special privileges, I mean what do you expect, the Lebanese army were passing tea and cookies to IDF soldiers during the Lebanon war and has 80% christian support, of course the incriminating vid was taking down from youtube since. Anything that supports Israel I guarantee will be met with both praise and cash.. but that doesn't denote achievement, merely hypocrisy!

all the best

جوري
06-16-2009, 07:57 PM
here you go although I have posted it before:

Middle Eastern immigrants were highly educated, with 49 percent holding at least a bachelor's degree, compared to 28 percent of natives.

Median earnings for Middle Eastern men were $39,000 a year compared to $38,000 for native workers.

they tend to be better-educated than native U.S. residents — about half hold bachelor's degrees, compared to 28 percent of natives. They also perform as well economically as natives — 30- and 40-year-old Middle Eastern males with a college education have the same median income as natives, and Middle East immigrants are more likely be self-employed.

Middle Eastern Immigrants in U.S. Educated, Prosperous, Study Says
Gannett News Service, August 15, 2002

(Also ran in Arizona Republic - 8/15)

WASHINGTON — Middle Eastern immigrants in the United States are well educated, earn more money than most Americans and are predominantly Muslim, according to a report released Wednesday.

They also are among the nation's fastest-growing immigrant groups, according to the report issued by the Center for Immigration Studies in Washington, a think tank that supports reducing the number of immigrants to the United States.

The report says the number of Middle Eastern immigrants increased from fewer than 200,000 in 1970 to almost 1.5 million in 2000. The overall number of foreign-born residents in the United States tripled to 31 million over the same period.

The report offers a rare portrait of an immigrant group that has received intense scrutiny and negative publicity since the Sept. 11 attacks.
Project MAPS, a survey of "Muslims in the American Public Square" conducted in 2001-2002 by researchers at Georgetown University, found that 86 percent of all Muslim professionals were concentrated in three careers: engineering, computer science, and medicine. Law, law enforcement, and politics accounted for a minuscule 0.6 percent. American Muslims, some demographers say, have also been voting well below their numbers in the population -- registering to vote at only half the national rate, according to the 2001 American Religious Identification Survey [PDF], a project of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. "If they ever did play to their weight" in the electoral arena and in Washington, Muslims "would be a much more considerable force in public policy-making," says Steve Clemons, a Democrat who directs the American Strategy Program at the New America Foundation in Washington.

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/topics/p...ab_America.pdf
http://www.cis.org/articles/2002/mideastcoverage.html

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I thought you would post that and it doesn't prove Palestinian and Lebanese Muslims are better educated and wealthier than their Christian counterparts.

ragdollcat1982
06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, I got my information from the documentraies not an article and I don't know whether the claims are true.
Here are some articles I found
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/...re-fleeing--02
http://books.google.si/books?id=lCE4...esult&resnum=5
http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=30893&sec=4&con=35

Post the project MAPS from GW University that proves otherwise.

I thought the last article was very informative. It does seem as far as the Palestianian, Israeli conflict goes Christians are caught in the middle. Obviuosly Jew are going to be more inclined to support Israel and Muslims to support Palestians because this conflict involves people of their respective faiths. Being a Christian I feel that the Christians are often looked over. We dont know what side to choose or even if we should choose a side. I prefer to stay neutral for the most part, but I dont want to see a war break out in that region.

جوري
06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
I thought you would post that and it doesn't prove Palestinian and Lebanese Muslims are better educated and wealthier than their Christian counterparts.
This topic isn't about Lebanese and Palestinians, you chose war torn regions to make a point for yourself. but the subject title is Arab Christians..
The article I posted proves that Middle eastern (Arab) Muslims are doing better period especially when compared to the natives of the places where they immigrate!

all the best

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
This topic isn't about Lebanese and Palestinians, you chose war torn regions to make a point for yourself. but the subject title is Arab Christians..
The article I posted proves that Middle eastern (Arab) Muslims are doing better period especially when compared to the natives of the places where they immigrate!

all the best
It says Midle easter immigrants are pedominantly Muslims, it doesn't give a speicifc percentage, which makes it impossible to determine whether Arab Christians emigrate below or above average according to the percentage of arabs they represent.

جوري
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
It says Midle easter immigrants are pedominantly Muslims, it doesn't give a speicifc percentage, which makes it impossible to determine whether Arab Christians emigrate below or above average according to the percentage of arabs they represent.

that makes no sense as rebuttal (given your own articles on how they are fleeing) nor does it negate the fact of the matter (Muslims are doing better) period!...

as always been nice chatting you up cool cat but I must get on with my day..

all the best

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
that makes no sense as rebuttal nor does it negate the fact of the matter (Muslims are doing better) period!...

as always been nice chatting you up cool cat but I must get on with my day..

all the best
What the article says is that middle eastern immigrants who are predominantly Muslims are better off than your avergae American. It doesn't prove Arab Muslims are doing better than Arab Christians.
You can only be right if predominantly means over 93% (which is the percentage of Muslims among Arabs, I'm not sure what the percentage for Middle East alone is).

GreyKode
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Arabs, I'm not sure what the percentage for Middle East alone is).
What middle eastern countries are not Arab?

Banu_Hashim
06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
^^ If you have a population of Arab Immigrants on average doing better, and the majority* of that population is Muslim, doesn't it meant that there are more Muslims then Christians in that given population doing better, on average ?:confused: I know it's in relation to Americans, but the fact that the percentage of Muslims is higher than Christians surely means they are doing better anyway.

majority/ n. (pl.-ies)1 (usu. foll. by of) the greater number or part. Strictly used only with countable nouns, e.g. a majorityof people, and not with mass nouns, e.g. a majority of the work.
The Oxford English Reference Dictionary

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
What middle eastern countries are not Arab?
I got 93% by dividing the number of all Arab Christians by all arabs, perhaps the ratio is different in the middle east alone.
EDIT: Israel

جوري
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
^^ If you have a population of Arab Immigrants on average doing better, and the majority* of that population is Muslim, doesn't it meant that there are more Muslims then Christians in that given population doing better, on average ?:confused:

agreed, but why beat a dead horse? I thought the point was well substantiated on its own accord and not subject to re-interpretation...

There is no higher education than a higher education.. if they are doing better in top careers compared to the natives, then they are doing better in top careers compared to their christian counterparts.. I am not sure what else is possibly left for a skewed inference?!

:w:

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
^^ If you have a population of Arab Immigrants on average doing better, and the majority* of that population is Muslim, doesn't it meant that there are more Muslims then Christians in that given population doing better, on average ?:confused:

given the small percentage of Arab Christians among Arabs, the number of Christians doing better could be disproportionately larger.

GreyKode
06-16-2009, 09:44 PM
given the small percentage of Arab Christians among Arabs, the number of Christians doing better could be disproportionately larger.
Do you mean the percentage of successful arab christians out of the whole chrisitian lot.

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
Do you mean the percentage of successful arab christians out of the whole chrisitian lot.
What I'm saying is that Arab Christians tend to be wealthier than other Arabs. I saw it in a documentary and I'm defending it.

ragdollcat1982
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
What I'm saying is that Arab Christians tend to be wealthier than other Arabs. I saw it in a documentary and I'm defending it.
I dont know if I would go that far. There are some pretty wealthy people in Saudi Arabia and the gulf states that are Muslims.However I am finding that Arab Christians are a very unique group of people.

Whatsthepoint
06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I dont know if I would go that far. There are some pretty wealthy people in Saudi Arabia and the gulf states that are Muslims.However I am finding that Arab Christians are a very unique group of people.
The documentary talked about Lebanon and Palestine only.

Amadeus85
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I dont know how it is in other countries, but I saw documentary about Egypt which more or less proves words of Whatthepoint. But it doesnt have any meaning. Very often the minorities are richer than the majority where they live in for example - jews in USA or Germans in Spain.

ragdollcat1982
06-16-2009, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
I dont know how it is in other countries, but I saw documentary about Egypt which more or less proves words of Whatthepoint. But it doesnt have any meaning. Very often the minorities are richer than the majority where they live in for example - jews in USA or Germans in Spain.
I am not sure if Arab Christians are generally more wealthier or not as a rule. They seem to be the forgotten minority in the Mideast as you rarely hear about them. I think Tony Shaloub is a good actor if anyone has ever seen the show "Monk".

Whatsthepoint
06-17-2009, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I am not sure if Arab Christians are generally more wealthier or not as a rule. They seem to be the forgotten minority in the Mideast as you rarely hear about them. I think Tony Shaloub is a good actor if anyone has ever seen the show "Monk".
I emntioned it because it is one of the reasons they emigrate in greater numbers.

rpwelton
06-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm surprised that Wiki article makes no mention of Egyptian Chrisitans (Coptics), who themselves are the largest Christian community in the Middle East.

جوري
06-17-2009, 07:27 PM
A copt means an Egyptian descended from the ancient Egyptians.. by virtue all Egyptians are Copts.. but the Church of Egypt chose that name for itself not because it is some righteous sect of Christianity, but to evoke the notion that they are the only true Egyptians and that the Muslims are occupiers.

There is a hadith by the prophet PBUH stating, to be kind to the copts of Egypt..I doubt that he only meant the Christians... but Allah swt knows best..

:w:

Banu_Hashim
06-17-2009, 07:54 PM
The Copts (Egyptology in general) have always fascinated me. The language they speak (coptic) is the closest living language to the language of the ancient Egyptians I believe.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.