/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic-Speaking PenPals

Wyatt
06-14-2009, 04:23 AM
السلام عليكم

I would really love to speak with some Arabic-speaking Muslims or non-Muslims, so that I can practice it. :D I can speak some other languages, so I could help you in them as well to return the favour.

If you are interested, can you post your AIM, MSN, or Yahoo! Messenger screen name? If you don't want to post it, can you PM me, then? :)

شكرا جزيلا :statisfie !

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rofe
06-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Ahlan
I have a knowledge of Arabic and would be happy to communicate with you. I am a little rusty because of non-usage, but this would be an opportunity for me to revive my spoken ability in the language. I cannot type in Arabic, but write by hand and send email messages by attachment. I also speak Hebrew.

Assalaam 'alaykum
Rofe

Wyatt
06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rofe
Ahlan
I have a knowledge of Arabic and would be happy to communicate with you. I am a little rusty because of non-usage, but this would be an opportunity for me to revive my spoken ability in the language. I cannot type in Arabic, but write by hand and send email messages by attachment. I also speak Hebrew.

Assalaam 'alaykum
Rofe
Oh, great! Can you PM me your MSN, AOL, or Yahoo? Or E-mail if that's what you prefer. There are phonetic keyboard layouts for both of those languages. :D So it wouldn't be that hard to use.

Though, I use the Arabic (mac) keyboard layout.

Rofe
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Salaam Podarok
Ya ayuha al-Akh al-Muhtaram!

Thank you for your response. I am not allowed, however, to send a private message, because I am still a limited member. Difficult, because I do not want to include my email address - not because of the members - who are welcome to write to me - but because of the danger of SPAM. I will include it if there is no other way. What do you suggest?
It would be good to learn how to type in Arabic. I can already type in Hebrew - a language in which I am far more current.
I have a little book which I have found extremely helpful, and which you may already have. If not, I have seen copies [it is long out of print] on Amazon. com There is one also in Hebrew, along the same lines, which I have also found very helpful
I think I might even get a fresh copy of the Arabic one, for mine is now very worn and well-thumbed:
Arabic Reader - by C.Rabin
It is a collection of Arabic articles and reminiscences by some of the leading Arab writers of the 20th Century: men such as Taha Hussain, Tawfiq al-Hakim, Khalil Jibran, Mahmud Taymur - and many other masters of the language. Whenever I am called upon, for some reason, to get into the flow of Arabic again, I re-read a few of the articles, usually aloud. Then, within an hour or so, I am back into the rhythm, and my memory is jogged into action. Alternatively, and on a far higher level, reading a part of the Quran can be very facilitative of this wondrous tongue.
"Dhalik al-Kitab, la rayba fihi, hudan lilmutaqeen"
I note in one of your postings, that skill in reading the Quran is indeed the chief motive in your wish to become well-versed in Arabic.

Ana arju an asma' minka fi al-waqt il-qareeb!
Salaam 'alaykum
Rofe

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rofe
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I omitted to say that in the said book, the meaning of every word in Arabic is given in English, in addition to an explanation of unusual grammatical expressions or colloquialisms.
Rofe

crayon
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Heya

Rofe, not sure if this will help you or Podarak, but it's helped me quite a bit, I love it.

Check out http://www.eiktub.com/ , it's an arabic transliteration pad, you write the word in arabic using english letters, and it automatically translates it to arabic letters, it's awesome. Takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

Rofe
06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I shall indeed look into it. It sounds interesting. Thank you for the links.
Rofe

Rofe
06-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Hello Podarok
I have just checked on the book and it is available on Amazon. At $45 and $55 it is rather expensive and I have seen it for less. For the time being, I suggest that I scan parts of it for you, and if you wish, we can work on these. I have just been looking at essay published in 1902 - on the difference between the nature of man and woman - by one of my favourite Egyptian writers: Mustapha Lutfi al-Manfaluti. The content of the essay and the style of language are superb. From what I know of him, he was also a deeply religious man. He is worth reading!
Rofe

Wyatt
06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Rofe! And, thanks crayon, but I can already type in Arabic and Hebrew. :D I am used to the Arabic keyboard, so I use that, but my Macbook came with a phonetic Hebrew keyboard, so I use that instead of learning a whole new keyboard layout (even though I can slowly type on the original Hebrew keyboard).

Rofe, just post some more and get rid of the Limited Member status. Isn't it like, 15 posts? :-[ I forget. :statisfie And then you can send me your e-mail. Unless... can I still send you messages?

I am interested in learning Hebrew as well. It's similar to Arabic, isn't it?

Rofe2
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
Thanks, Rofe! And, thanks crayon, but I can already type in Arabic and Hebrew. :D I am used to the Arabic keyboard, so I use that, but my Macbook came with a phonetic Hebrew keyboard, so I use that instead of learning a whole new keyboard layout (even though I can slowly type on the original Hebrew keyboard).

Rofe, just post some more and get rid of the Limited Member status. Isn't it like, 15 posts? :-[ I forget. :statisfie And then you can send me your e-mail. Unless... can I still send you messages?

I am interested in learning Hebrew as well. It's similar to Arabic, isn't it?
Hello Podarok

I have just sent a message but it does not seem to have reached its destination. It included my email address, which I shall include once more:
elkes-rofe1700@firenet.uk.net
I had difficulty logging in and so I re-registered as Rofe2. This means that I would have to post 50 messages before I can attain Full Membership status. Instead, let us take a short cut! Write to me at the enclosed address.
Rofe

Wyatt
06-17-2009, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rofe2
Hello Podarok

I have just sent a message but it does not seem to have reached its destination. It included my email address, which I shall include once more:
elkes-rofe1700@firenet.uk.net
I had difficulty logging in and so I re-registered as Rofe2. This means that I would have to post 50 messages before I can attain Full Membership status. Instead, let us take a short cut! Write to me at the enclosed address.
Rofe
You really could have checked out the "forgot password" thing or contacted an administrator. :D I will e-mail you (my e-mail will be of a Japanese provider).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.