/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland: Romanians flee from racist attacks

Al-Zaara
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
More than 100 Romanian people who fled their homes in south Belfast have been moved to a leisure centre.

The group of about 20 families spent Tuesday night in a church hall after a spate of racist attacks on their homes.
Police have said they do not believe paramilitaries were involved in orchestrating the attacks.
The attacks were condemned by Prime Minister Gordon Brown who said he hoped the authorities would take all action necessary to protect the families.

Northern Ireland Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, who has met with the families, said the attacks were a "totally shameful episode".

Looking at 115 Romanians huddled together on the floor of a Belfast church hall, it was possible to see the worst side of Northern Ireland - and the best - all at once.

SOURCE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I was just about to post a thread about this.

The attacks the Romanians suffered are terrible.

aadil77
06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
they must have been well intimadated, gettin their houses attacked and everythin

GuestFellow
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I just heard this recently on the news. Hopes that the government shall tackle this issue properly.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
It's terrible. :(

Check this comment piece out as well: Bigotry in Belfast

Al-Zaara
06-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Heartbreaking news.

- Further racist attacks...

- Northern Ireland police chief forced to defend Romanian attacks response.

Amadeus85
06-18-2009, 09:21 PM
These are Romanians or Gypsies? The difference is quite sighnificant.

Al-Zaara
06-18-2009, 09:25 PM
If the news say 'Romanians' then it is well 'Romanians'.

What difference would it make in your opinion to say 'Romanians' or 'Gypsies', care to elaborate?

Amadeus85
06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

What difference would it make in your opinion to say 'Romanians' or 'Gypsies', care to elaborate?
There are many, many Gypsies in Romania, so in my country we often call Gypsies as Romanians. The difference between Gypsies and Romanians is sale like between Gypsies and Germans.

Al-Zaara
06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, I am well aware of the difference between the terms and how they are used. I happen to have Finnish Romanians as neighbours. They are a few here and are known for wearing almost always their traditional clothes. Quite interesting.

But on-topic, I do not understand how the difference of term-use has an impact on how valuable these news are? Or rather, how it changes the reaction?

Muezzin
06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
The PC term for gypsies is 'travellers'. What they call themselves is 'Romany'. Since neither of these terms have been used in any of the articles, I assume they are in fact Romanians.

I don't see what difference them being gypsies would make anyway. They were still violently driven from their homes.

Whatsthepoint
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
There have been hundreds of attacks against Romanians in Italy in the last 2 years. the government even banned Romanian immigration or were at least thinking about it.

Al-Zaara
06-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes, I remember hearing such news.

- November, 2007

"Italians have fumed for years over petty crimes by poor immigrants from Romania and elsewhere."

Italy: Explusion Decree Target

Keltoi
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Never really thought of Northern Ireland as a hotbed for racial hatred. Guess hating the Brits isn't enough anymore.

sister herb
06-19-2009, 10:56 AM
:sl:

Racial attacks are now rising in every parts of Europe. imsad It is typical when economy situation is going down, people start to claim foreigners about that.

imsad

Just some days ago I saw document from Russia; how far-right Russians beat non-Russins and claim bad economy situation is from non-Russinas etc.

Just stupid people!

Thinker
06-19-2009, 01:27 PM

I think there is a disctinct difference between Romanians i.e. the Dacians and the Romany's who were traditionally nomdic.

See their history here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/ma...publicservices

Al-Zaara
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
If you would take your time to read on after that post of mine? ^ My question to Amadeus85 was to find out why the terms are needed to be sorted out to then comment on the happenings in these news? Understand me?

Thinker
06-19-2009, 01:44 PM
If you would take your time to read on after that post of mine? ^ My question to Amadeus85 was to find out why the terms are needed to be sorted out to then comment on the happenings in these news? Understand me?
Ooops sorry imsad

bOsSe
06-20-2009, 08:01 AM

Let me understand, you believe everything you see on TV right?
If for you there is no difference between romanians and gypsies, then check a google maybe, search for : Romanians pictures and Gypsies pictures.
It happens to be romanian and checking the google i got here. I am in Ireland now not in N Ireland, and i want to tell you few things.
Romania has a population of 22 milions people, and only 1 milion are gypsies. Before 1989 they were not so many, because Nicolae Ceausescu , the dictator, banished them and seized their gold, fortunes, but after he died, gypsies started to come back, more then they were before.
Its true this is Government`s fault, but you can`t just con****d Romanians because of Gypsies.
They are treated the same in Romania, nobody likes them nobody gives them money when they ask for it, we hate them like Poland hate their gypsies , like Ireland hate their gypsies , like every nation that has this kind of people .
I suggest you to check the skin collor of romanians and compare it with gypsies. They dont belong to these places, they are not from Europe, they camed from India.

Al-Zaara
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Let me understand, you believe everything you see on TV right?
You don't have to understand anything out of it. I was simply saying what the news stated in which I cannot make much comment on because a) I wasn't there, b) I wasn't attacked there and c) I have never visited NI. I cannot know if they really meant Romanians or Gypsies, I have to comment on the news the way I have understood them so far.

And again, if you would have bothered to read all the posts, you would realize I know the difference between Romanian and Gypsie. You would also understand the question you quoted was meant to further ask why the difference has to be cleared up before even commenting on the happenings. Are they justified if it were Gypsies who were attacked? Or because they were Romanians?

You are in Ireland. What is your reaction to the happenings? Are they justified in any way?

bOsSe
06-20-2009, 11:15 AM
You don't have to understand anything out of it. I was simply saying what the news stated in which I cannot make much comment on because a) I wasn't there, b) I wasn't attacked there and c) I have never visited NI. I cannot know if they really meant Romanians or Gypsies, I have to comment on the news the way I have understood them so far.

And again, if you would have bothered to read all the posts, you would realize I know the difference between Romanian and Gypsie. You would also understand the question you quoted was meant to further ask why the difference has to be cleared up before even commenting on the happenings. Are they justified if it were Gypsies who were attacked? Or because they were Romanians?

You are in Ireland. What is your reaction to the happenings? Are they justified in any way?
Ireland is separated of N Ireland wich belongs to UK, i understand them for their reaction. Even on romanian papers and forums, they con**** the gypsies. As i told you in my post, everyone detest gypsies. If they would work and be honest i dont think anyone would have something against them. But because they have a big criminal record they just know to beg for money, robbery, etc etc , i understand perfectly NIreland reaction. Even here in Dublin there are lots of gypsies, most of them in city centre, doing what they learned.
Because of gypsies, romanians have lots of problems everywhere they go in Europe. Most of the countries have restricted work permits for romanians.
And even in Romania we have the same problem with them. We can only blame to government. But people cant just hate 22 milions of romanians because of 500 k that maybe are in Europe.
I m not rasist but when Europe is rasist with us because of gypsies, we become .... rasist . Too bad EU has voted for human rights, maybe too many. Gypsies are protected by law .

AvarAllahNoor
06-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Bet the BNP are loving this. If they've not arranged it themselves!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.