/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What about the 10 Commandments and the Beatituds

love_quran
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Lately i have been wondering if the 10 commandments and 8 beatitudes are followed/believed in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
06-17-2009, 10:20 PM
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbour's.

^^ these look very Islamic to me

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit,for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  2. Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
  3. Blessed are the meek,for they shall inherit the earth.
  4. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,for they shall be satisfied.
  5. Blessed are the merciful,for they shall obtain mercy.
  6. Blessed are the pure of heart,for they shall see God.
  7. Blessed are the peacemakers,for they shall be called children of God.
  8. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

^^ I do not understand the blue, object to red and like the black parts

love_quran
06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Thank you for copying these out. My understanding is that the blue/red parts you hilighted are giving the reward for the qualities described.:)

Please know, my object in asking this question is to learn more about Islam..not sharing Christianity. So my answer to your question may be on the brief side but that is only because i am done with Christianity in general (tho some remnants of my christian life have yet to be cast off).

The basic idea is that which you did not have in abundance in this earth you shall be recompensed in the hereafter if these qualities you posess.

Al Ansari
07-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Bismillah

In the name of Allaah

Before I attempt to answer this. I am sure that there is someone more qualified to answer this question. I am answering this to the best of my knowledge and if I do not know--I will simply say I do not know. Any mistakes---are from myself and ignorance and whatever I say that is true and in line with the truth is from Allaah (Glorified and Praised is He).

First, you must understand that a Muslim. A believer in Islaam, takes their guidance only from Islaamic sources. The Qur'aan and the Ahadith. Also, remember that the Qur'aan is the unaltered word of Allaah, which has not been modified by human thought. On top of that, it is not left to our own interpretation, but the beautiful example of the beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has taught us how to live it and how to correctly interpret it.

To Proceed:
The 10 Commandments-

(THIS IS TAWHEED. THERE IS NONE WORTHY OF WORSHIP BUT ALLAAH ALONE. THIS IS REPEATED THROUGHOUT THE QUR’AAN AND AHADITH. THIS BELIEF IS CENTRAL TO THE FORMER RELIGIONS ‘JUDAISM AND CHRISTIANITY—HOWEVER, THEY FAILED. NONE UPHOLDS THIS BELIEF MORE FIRMLY THAN THE MUSLIMS-SUBHANALLAAH.)

2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
(WE ARE NOT TO MAKE STATUES AND DRAWINGS OF ANIMATE OBJECTS. THERE ARE NUMEROUS FATAWAH, OR RULINGS FROM SCHOLARS ON THIS.)

(ALLAAH KNOWS BEST.)

(I WON’T CALL IT A SABBATH. HOWEVER, WE HAVE JUMAH-THE BEST OF DAYS.)

(THIS IS MENTIONED IN QUR’AAN AND AHADITH. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. HOWEVER, ALLAAH TELLS US NOT ONLY TO HONOUR THEM—BUT TO MAKE DU’AA FOR THEM)

6. You shall not murder.
(WE CANNOT TAKE A LIFE UNJUSTLY AND WITHOUT RIGHT.)

(WE ARE TOLD TO STAY FAR FROM ZINA)

8. You shall not steal.
(ALLAAH KNOWS BEST)

(ALLAAH TELLS US TO BE JUST—EVEN IF IT BE AGAINST OURSELVES.)
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbour's.

(THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD [SAWS] HAS TOLD US TO BE KIND TO OUR NEIGHBORS. HE EMPHASIZED IT. I WILL, INSHALLAAH POST THE HADITH. AS FAR AS ENVY—WE SHOULD BE CONTENT WITH WHAT ALLAAH HAS GIVEN US. RIZQ COMES FROM ALLAAH. WE SHOULD REMEMBER THAT ALLAAH BESTOWS ON WHOM HE WILLS AND THAT IT IS A TEST FOR THOSE WHOM HE GIVES.)

I want to just also add that I have read the Bible. The Old Testament (Tanakh, not the original revealed to Musa [as]) I read from a Jewish Translation because I did not trust reading the Jewish Bible translated from Christian interpreters. Anyhow, I also read the NT and there concepts of avoiding adultery and murder and all that is spoken about; however, it missing one vital thing—a practical example.

Jesus (as) in the NT barely displays a comprehensive example of how to follow these ideals. According to the NT, he was not married and had no children. He was God and Man simultaneously and he did not show us a practical example of dealing with our enemies. I mean, turn the other cheek and all that is ideal and there are times when the beloved Messenger of Allaah (saws) treated his enemies with forgiveness and amnesty; i.e. the Conquest of Makkah, the Bedouin who grabbed his garment so hard and made a mark on the neck of the Messenger (saws) and demanded things from the Prophet (saws), and also in general when a man urinated in the Masjid ( and we know how impure and detrimental that is!) and the Prophet was lenient with the man. There are numerous and practical examples of balance and guidance. I digress, but you see we Muslims have an example to follow.

And Allaah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al Ansari
07-11-2009, 07:13 AM
bismillah

4. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,for they shall be satisfied.
6. Blessed are the pure of heart,for they shall see God.
8. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Bismillah

The Beatitudes are for the most part in line with Islaamic belief:

BEING HUMBLE

MOURNING

THOSE WHO SEEK KNOWLEDGE

THOSE WHO SHOW MERCY

THE PURE IN HEART-THOSE WHO DESIRE NOTHING BUT THE PLEASURE OF ALLAAH.

THE PEACEMAKERS-THOSE WHO SEEK JUSTICE

THOSE WHO ARE PERSECUTED FOR ALLAAH’S SAKE.

And Allaah knows best.

love_quran
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Al Ansari,

I thank you very much for your proffered answers.:happy: VERY helpful and faith-raising.:statisfie Any chance we could have the supportive references from the Quran and Hadith? :aboo: Thank you.

Imam
07-14-2009, 11:07 AM
peace

"Say: He is God the Only; God the Indivisible; He gives not birth, nor
is He begotten, and He is, in Himself, not dependent on anything" (Holy Ouran

112:1-4)

Holy Ouran22:30 but shun the abomination of idols, and shun the word that is

false,-

Holy Ouran[002:224] Do not subject GOD's name to your casual swearing, that you may appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people. GOD is Hearer, Knower.

. O you who believe! when the call is made for prayer on Friday(The day that equal the Jewish sabbath for Jews), then hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off trading; that is better for you, if you know. And when the prayer is ended, then disperse in the land and seek of Allah's bounty, and remember Allah much, that ye may be successful. (Qur'an 62:10)

Holy Ouran31:14 And We have enjoined on man to be good to his parents: in
travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was
his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy
parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal.

6. You shall not murder.

Holy Ouran 5:32 On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if
any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading
mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and
if any one saved a life

17:32 Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an
evil, opening the road (to other evils).

8. You shall not steal.

60:12 O Prophet! When believing women come to thee to take the oath of
fealty to thee, that they will not associate in worship any other thing
whatever with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit adultery (or fornication),

Holy Ouran25:72 Those who witness no falsehood, and, if they pass by futility,they pass by it with honourable (avoidance);

Holy Ouran 4:32 And in no wise covet those things in which Allah Hath bestowed His gifts More freely on some of you than on others: To men is allotted what they earn, and to women what they earn: But ask Allah of His bounty. For Allah hath full knowledge of all things.

Narrated the prophet said:
Most of those who enter paradise are poor(Sahih Muslim-2736)

Holy Ouran 94:6 Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

Holy Ouran 2:155 Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad
tidings to those who patiently persevere,

Holy Ouran7:137 And We made a people, considered weak and of no account, inheritors of lands in both east and west, - lands whereon We sent down Our blessings.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: Whoever fasts
during Ramadan with faith and seeking his reward from Allah will have
his past sins forgiven.(Bukhari, Muslim).

Allah The Most merciful shows mercy to those who show mercy to others
(Narrated Ahmed-Abu Dwod-Termedhi ,classified Sahih)

60:8 Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just.

8:61 But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah. for He is One that heareth and knoweth (all things).

3:134 Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity;
who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men;- for Allah loves those who do
good.

41:34 Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!

3:169 Think not of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead. Nay, they live, finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord; 16:41 To those who leave their homes in the cause of Allah, after suffering oppression,- We will assuredly give a goodly home in this world; but truly the reward of the Hereafter will be greater. If they only realised (this)!

peace

love_quran
07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam
peace

"Say: He is God the Only; God the Indivisible; He gives not birth, nor
is He begotten, and He is, in Himself, not dependent on anything" (Holy Ouran

112:1-4)

Holy Ouran22:30 but shun the abomination of idols, and shun the word that is

false,-

Holy Ouran[002:224] Do not subject GOD's name to your casual swearing, that you may appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people. GOD is Hearer, Knower.

. O you who believe! when the call is made for prayer on Friday(The day that equal the Jewish sabbath for Jews), then hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off trading; that is better for you, if you know. And when the prayer is ended, then disperse in the land and seek of Allah's bounty, and remember Allah much, that ye may be successful. (Qur'an 62:10)

Holy Ouran31:14 And We have enjoined on man to be good to his parents: in
travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was
his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy
parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal.

6. You shall not murder.

Holy Ouran 5:32 On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if
any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading
mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and
if any one saved a life

17:32 Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an
evil, opening the road (to other evils).

8. You shall not steal.

60:12 O Prophet! When believing women come to thee to take the oath of
fealty to thee, that they will not associate in worship any other thing
whatever with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit adultery (or fornication),

Holy Ouran25:72 Those who witness no falsehood, and, if they pass by futility,they pass by it with honourable (avoidance);

Holy Ouran 4:32 And in no wise covet those things in which Allah Hath bestowed His gifts More freely on some of you than on others: To men is allotted what they earn, and to women what they earn: But ask Allah of His bounty. For Allah hath full knowledge of all things.

Narrated the prophet said:
Most of those who enter paradise are poor(Sahih Muslim-2736)

Holy Ouran 94:6 Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

Holy Ouran 2:155 Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad
tidings to those who patiently persevere,

Holy Ouran7:137 And We made a people, considered weak and of no account, inheritors of lands in both east and west, - lands whereon We sent down Our blessings.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: Whoever fasts
during Ramadan with faith and seeking his reward from Allah will have
his past sins forgiven.(Bukhari, Muslim).

Allah The Most merciful shows mercy to those who show mercy to others
(Narrated Ahmed-Abu Dwod-Termedhi ,classified Sahih)

60:8 Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just.

8:61 But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah. for He is One that heareth and knoweth (all things).

3:134 Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity;
who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men;- for Allah loves those who do
good.

41:34 Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!

3:169 Think not of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead. Nay, they live, finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord; 16:41 To those who leave their homes in the cause of Allah, after suffering oppression,- We will assuredly give a goodly home in this world; but truly the reward of the Hereafter will be greater. If they only realised (this)!

peace
Thank you.:bravo: By the way, when i do ask for supportive references it is less to do with doubt than in knowing where i , and others, can find the supportive texts.

Muhaba
07-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Someone once pointed out that the verses in Surah 17 (Al-Isra) were similar to the Ten Commandments. Here they are:

23. And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.

24. And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: "My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small."

25. Your Lord knows best what is in your inner-selves. If you are righteous, then, verily, He is Ever Most Forgiving to those who turn unto Him again and again in obedience, and in repentance.

26. And give to the kindred his due and to the Miskin (poor) and to the wayfarer. But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift . [Tafsir. At-Tabari, Vol. 10, Page 158 (Verse 9: 60)].

27. Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the Shayatin (devils), and the Shaitan (Devil - Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord.

28. And if you (O Muhammad ) turn away from them (kindred, poor, wayfarer, etc. whom We have ordered you to give their rights, but if you have no money at the time they ask you for it) and you are awaiting a mercy from your Lord for which you hope, then, speak unto them a soft kind word (i.e. Allah will give me and I shall give you).

29. And let not your hand be tied (like a miser) to your neck, nor stretch it forth to its utmost reach (like a spendthrift), so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty.

30. Truly, your Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills and straitens (for whom He wills). Verily, He is Ever All-Knower, All-Seer of His slaves.

31. And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We provide for them and for you. Surely, the killing of them is a great sin.

32. And come not near to the unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a Fahishah [i.e. anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allah forgives him).

33. And do not kill anyone which Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause. And whoever is killed (intentionally with hostility and oppression and not by mistake), We have given his heir the authority [(to demand Qisas, Law of Equality in punishment or to forgive, or to take Diya (blood money)]. But let him not exceed limits in the matter of taking life (i.e he should not kill except the killer only). Verily, he is helped (by the Islamic law).

34. And come not near to the orphan's property except to improve it, until he attains the age of full strength. And fulfil (every) covenant. Verily! the covenant, will be questioned about.

35. And give full measure when you measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight. That is good (advantageous) and better in the end.

36. And follow not (O man i.e., say not, or do not or witness not, etc.) that of which you have no knowledge (e.g. one's saying: "I have seen," while in fact he has not seen, or "I have heard," while he has not heard). Verily! The hearing, and the sight, and the heart, of each of those you will be questioned (by Allah).

37. And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like the mountains in height.

38. All the bad aspects of these (the above mentioned things) are hateful to your Lord.

39. This is (part) of Al-Hikmah (wisdom, good manners and high character, etc.) which your Lord has inspired to you (O Muhammad ). And set not up with Allah any other ilah (god) lest you should be thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected, (from Allah's Mercy).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.