/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Proper Treatment of Quran

bartdanr
06-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have been studying the English meaning of Quran for a few years now, and have read it through many times. I come from a Christian background, and in my tradition, it was quite common to use highlighters, pens and pencils to mark special passages and write notes in the margins. (In fact, I have several "wide margin" Bibles especially made for note-taking in the margins). This was not considered disrespectful.

However, I do not want to treat a Quran--or an English menaing of Quran--anything but respectful. Would using a highligher and/or making notes in the margins be considered disrespectful? Also, what about reading while eating or drinking (not alcohol, of course!)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
:bump1:

Wow I have no clue.
Hopefully someone replies :)

aadil77
06-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Well if its an english translation then you can do what you want really.

Highlighting or making notes on a proper Quran shouldn't be a problem, but with an arabic Quran you have to be in a state of ablution before touching it, and also when we recite the Quran we usually rinse out our mouths clear of food so it doesn't distract us, but not sure if you'll have to?

Maybe someone more learned can help

bartdanr
06-24-2009, 08:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77

Highlighting or making notes on a proper Quran shouldn't be a problem, but with an arabic Quran you have to be in a state of ablution before touching it, and also when we recite the Quran we usually rinse out our mouths clear of food so it doesn't distract us, but not sure if you'll have to?

Thanks, aadil--I appreciate your response. I read only English, but in some copies of the English meaning of Quran it also has the Arabic.

Please keep the replies coming!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nocturne
06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Is there a need to elevate QURAN to such a high status that often it becomes just a symbol than it serving its original purpose?

ragdollcat1982
06-27-2009, 12:06 AM

I have many qurans now, and I would like to highlight some things as well. I really would like to take a online Quran class in english for free or low cost as I am finding it difficult to follow even with the commentary.

Yanal
06-27-2009, 01:30 PM
http://muslimmatters.org/2009/04/28/...uran-software/

Download that and insh'Allah you can take notes on ayahs.

Afifa
06-27-2009, 03:18 PM
:sl:

Just a note i would like to point out that the Quran, whatever language written in is still the words of Allah so if its english or arabic they should all be treated with the same respect. If Notes are made in the Quran then its best to write in pencil so that later on it can be rubbed out.
Also when reading the Quran one should have full attention towards it so by eating or drinking this would not be possible.

:w:

Uthman
06-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Wa 'Alaykum As-salaam
format_quote Originally Posted by :: Afifa ::
Just a note i would like to point out that the Quran, whatever language written in is still the words of Allah
That's not technically true, sister. The Qur'an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam in both wording and meaning. A translaton is thus considered to be a man-made attempt at capturing the meaning of the Qur'an, but the wording of a translation is not from Allah. It is for this reason that it is good practice to say 'the meaning of which is' instead of 'Allah says' when quoting from a translation of the Qur'an.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2589/Qur%27an
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/search2/Q...AllWords/t,q,a
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10694/Qur%27an

And Allah, glorified and exalted is he, knows best.

Afifa
06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Wa 'Alaykum As-salaam That's not technically true, sister. The Qur'an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam in both wording and meaning. A translaton is thus considered to be a man-made attempt at capturing the meaning of the Qur'an, but the wording of a translation is not from Allah. It is for this reason that it is good practice to say 'the meaning of which is' instead of 'Allah says' when quoting from a translation of the Qur'an.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2589/Qur%27an
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/search2/Q...AllWords/t,q,a
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10694/Qur%27an

And Allah, glorified and exalted is he, knows best.

Yes the actual translation is a man-made attempt. What I meant is that whatever language it is translated into it stills carries the message of Allah so it should still be treated with respect.
Sorry if i'v made a mistake
Allah knows best.

Yanal
06-27-2009, 06:27 PM
:salamext:
Both of you are correct in a way.

Brother Uthman:
Multiple English translations of the Qur'an, Islam's scripture, line shelves at book stores. Amazon.com sells more than a dozen. Because of the growing Muslim communities in English-speaking countries, as well as greater academic interest in Islam, there has been a blossoming in recent years of English translations. Muslims view the Qur'an as God's direct words revealed in Arabic to the Prophet Muhammad (d. 632).[1] Because the Qur'an stresses its Arabic nature, Muslim scholars believe that any translation cannot be more than an approximate interpretation, intended only as a tool for the study and understanding of the original Arabic text.[2] Since fewer than 20 percent of Muslims speak Arabic, this means that most Muslims study the text only in translation. So how accurate are the Qur'an's renderings into English? The record is mixed. Some are simply poor translations. Others adopt sectarian biases, and those that are funded by Saudi Arabia often insert political annotation. Since translators seek to convey not only text but also meaning, many rely on the interpretation (tafsir) of medieval scholars in order to conform to an "orthodox" reading.

nadia85
06-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Sorry I am alittle confused maybe It s just me:-[Well if its an english translation then you can do what you want really. What do u mean by that?.So if u read Quran in english it s not proper evan though stil words of Allah

Yanal
06-27-2009, 08:33 PM
:salamext: Sister Nadia:

Reading translations of the Qur'an in order to understand the message, however, should not be done at the expense of reciting it in Arabic. Because the Qur'an is Allah's own words, reading it by yourself constitutes a deeply rewarding spiritual experience.*

ragdollcat1982
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I have about a dozen English translations now. I have ordered either free brochures or books on Islam and everytime I do I get sent a free quran translations. I think I have more Qurans than Bibles. Oh what to do with all of them. Would it be permissable to donate some to my local library to put in their religion section?

islamlover_girl
07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
Would it be permissable to donate some to my local library to put in their religion section?
sure ,that`s cool,by doing that u will help others to know about Islam insha'Allah.

malayloveislam
07-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I used to underline the Quran with pencils when I'm studying in Religious Class during my childhood. But now I refrain doing that because I tried memorizing Quran. I also wash my mouth, shower, performing ablution, wearing perfume with clean clothes, and burning fragrants when reading Quran and memorizing it in order to respect the words of Allah. But I think, its enough performing ablution and washing mouth when you want to read Quran. We can't touch it without ablution. After reading it place it in highest place. If for English translation, I think no problem, it's just a translation however we Muslims use to respect and treat knowledge in the highest manner. All of them came from G-d.

And G-d knows the best...

bartdanr
07-03-2009, 12:16 PM
It sounds like if you are reading an Arabic Quran, you should make sure you're clean and not distracted--though I'm not sure if marking it is considered permissible. It also sounds like being ritually clean isn't necessary when reading a translation of the meaning of the Quran--though one should respect it.

I do understand--and largely agree with--the position that certain objects should be treated with dignity and respect, because our care for these things indicate our care for the God who gave them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.