/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Migraine sufferers?

جوري
06-19-2009, 06:49 AM
:sl:

probably hypocritical of me to say, I have lost hope that modern medicine will come up with something truly effective for migraine headaches.. whether classical or common, for me personally they can be quite debilitating and span the course of a few days, with a peak after the second or third days, in my younger yrs has rendered me in the hospital a couple of times for complete visual changes which I mistook for a CVA.. what we call in science.. 'scintillating scotoma'
for those of you, who have never experienced this symptom, they are visual pattern disturbances that look like this

or this

and can occlude your vision in any sector they choose to present, usually affecting peripheral vision (at least with me) they don't last very long but can spell disaster if you are driving, which in fact happened to me once but thank God, I had a friend to switch places with me..

I have tried the gamut..

nasal ergots for nearely $300
the triptan type class of drugs..
of course the usual acetaminophen and ibuprofen, which almost tickle my headaches into a thunderous roar.. as if.. is that all your ammo..

dark rooms, cooling patches seem to mildly take the edge of but not treat it..
sometimes sleep helps but not in totality as I can still have a residual low grade the day after...

now I am curious what is out there, in terms of Prophetic medicine, or chinese medicine or anything alternative that is absolutely fool proof.. as in 20~30 mins later I have made a complete recovery and can get back into life..

I feel like this whenever one comes my way..

and unfortunately the pain never limits itself to my head ...

any feedback would be appreciated..
let me know if you have tried heat cupping, blood cupping or acupuncture and if it worked and how long that took, how much such treatments go for etc..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
i dont think i get migraines, but occasionally I'll get really bad throbbing headaches and they are usually caused by a lack of sleep, extreme heat/cold...so the best thing is to wrap your head up tightly to stop the throbbing, lie down...basically just something to stop the throbbing as much as possible so that it doesn't get worse...

now I am curious what is out there, in terms of Prophetic medicine, or chinese medicine or anything alternative that is absolutely fool proof.. as in 20~30 mins later I have made a complete recovery and can get back into life..
check this thread out :)
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...migraines.html

A_N_
12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Gossamer skye

sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly with migraines - i know from personal experience that they can be very debilitating and difficult to deal with.

If you've tried all of the pharmaceutical options (and it sounds like you pretty much have..) it's definitely worth trying acupuncture and chinese medine. Traditionally, acupuncture has been used for many hundreds, if not thousands, of years to treat migraine headaches, as well as the other symptoms that present with a migraine attack. As an acupuncturist, I've seen first hand how acupuncture can bring patients back into balance and reduce both the frequency and severity of migraines.

Western medicine has recently begun to look into the effect acupuncture can have on migraines. The latest evidence from a number of large studies was looked at in a Cochrane Review, which concluded that 'Available studies suggest that acupuncture is at least as effective as, or possibly more effective than, prophylactic drug treatment, and has fewer adverse effects.'. http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab001218.html.

I would definitely suggest that you look for an experienced local acupuncturist with a background in Chinese Medical Theory. No therapy is absolutely fool proof, but hopefully he or she can help reduce your suffering from migraine attacks.

Please feel free to PM me or contact via my Community Spirit site (www.communityspiritacupuncture.co.uk) if you want any further information on migraines or anything else.

kind regards

andrew

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

probably hypocritical of me to say, I have lost hope that modern medicine will come up with something truly effective for migraine headaches.. whether classical or common, for me personally they can be quite debilitating and span the course of a few days, with a peak after the second or third days, in my younger yrs has rendered me in the hospital a couple of times for complete visual changes which I mistook for a CVA.. what we call in science.. 'scintillating scotoma'
for those of you, who have never experienced this symptom, they are visual pattern disturbances that look like this

or this

and can occlude your vision in any sector they choose to present, usually affecting peripheral vision (at least with me) they don't last very long but can spell disaster if you are driving, which in fact happened to me once but thank God, I had a friend to switch places with me..

I have tried the gamut..

nasal ergots for nearely $300
the triptan type class of drugs..
of course the usual acetaminophen and ibuprofen, which almost tickle my headaches into a thunderous roar.. as if.. is that all your ammo..

dark rooms, cooling patches seem to mildly take the edge of but not treat it..
sometimes sleep helps but not in totality as I can still have a residual low grade the day after...

I feel like this whenever one comes my way..

and unfortunately the pain never limits itself to my head ...

any feedback would be appreciated..
let me know if you have tried heat cupping, blood cupping or acupuncture and if it worked and how long that took, how much such treatments go for etc..

:w:

dovelove
12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
wasalam sisi
aawww, sori to hear u having such a bad time with the migraines, ive lost hope in the modern medical system long time, im study traditional medicine and i hav read the prophet pbuh had wet cupping done on his neck for headache and they do the top of head also,the prophet pbuh also said that hijama increases intellect and improves memory, it is worth reading up on hijama (wet cupping) cos its from the sunnah and can b a cure for many a illness and shud be promoted and revived.

i had terrible migraines daily for ages they used to be unbearable, but i found that magnesium works a treat Alhamdulilah!! i go for high potency and highly absorbable, sugar salt and starch free tablets, they called magnesium citrate, each tab has 200mg of magnesuim and i take two, and know when i not taken them, i also avoid foods stuffs, which is a bummer but does help alot, like cafeine, chocolate, candy, cheese, artifical sweeteners, since my migraine improved i cheat a bit and eat cookies and cheese my favs, but know when i took too much cos my head feels like i just been hit with a rock.

magnesuim helps with the other symptoms of migraine also not just the banging head cos sum ppl like u and i get body symptoms from migraines think they called abdominal migraines (affect the rest of the body) and think ur having a optical migraine too (seeing scary images), hormonal changes can bring on attacks too (hormonal migraines), so i take a oil of evening primrose capsules which helps balance the hormones, and my migraines are now manageable most of the time yipeeeee.

so i hope u start feeling better soon cos them a real bummer they are
wasalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Sob7an Allah, I forgot about this thread, but I have a miserable migraine as we speak, and I tried to induce vomiting in the bathroom about ten minutes ago sometimes that brings me some relief but to no avail today.. al7mdlillah though, perhaps it will serve as an expiation of some of my sins..
yes when I get one my whole body suffers, but so we are told in Islam that when one part suffers the whole body aches along...

I am not sure if all that holistic stuff will work? I did get a prescription for rizatriptan but decided to defer taking it for now as they are expensive and I like to save them for the days when I just want to die...

might give primrose and acupuncture a try if I can get over my fear of needles.. I find no trouble at all sticking needles in people.. I just don't want to be jabbed.. I remember going to the hospital for one really bad migraine where they stuck me with two needles to administer meds and I was in such tremendous agony that I started to cry (which everyone blamed on the migraine) but in reality it was just too much to bear all together... it felt like I was dying with everyone having a stab to finish me off.. unless I try the acupuncture as prophylaxis though I don't know how effective that is curbing them-- I might do some more research and go for them.. I like the whole ambiance though to be relaxing..
are there pictures of these centers? The sterile hospital setting can exacerbate a bad headache lol

:wa:

p.s to the fellow above, do you have centers in NY? I am not in England
thanks

Ummu Sufyaan
12-04-2009, 03:33 AM
^sis, maybe you are overally stressed?

جوري
12-04-2009, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
^sis, maybe you are overally stressed?
well that is a given lol.. but I have suffered them since I was a little girl.. it isn't a new onset event-- but they have changed over the years though in quality and duration..

Ummu Sufyaan
12-04-2009, 03:41 AM
^i know ur a medical pro your self :p but have you considered seeing a doc? there could be an underlying medical prob?

جوري
12-04-2009, 03:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
^i know ur a medical pro your self :p but have you considered seeing a doc? there could be an underlying medical prob?
Nothing a doc can do for me imsadimsadimsadimsad
pills pills pills, unless you are suggesting a

:haha: don't worry there is no such procedure for migraines (well at least not the ones I suffer) :p...

dovelove
12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
despite not being over enthusiastic of the holistic methods, i would still give magnesium a try, cos i know it does work and really think it will help u. did u ever hear of civilization diseases? thats what people get by taking too many manmade chemicals in2 the body, i myself was prescriped meds but when natural supplements work better with no adverse side effects (pages long), i prefer to take the natural route given one of the side effects of many meds are headaches.

personally i believe that there is a natural cure for everything, and i also read something along the same lines in Islamic literature, like Allah did not send any disease but he sent a cure. black seed acts on migraines also. but magnesium is cheaper and easily available.

when u try the magnesium and ur migraines/headaches start getting better let me know how it worked for you also :)

جوري
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
:sl: sr.
magnesium is hopefully a part of ones diet anyway, there is a questionable study to its efficacy but the study was on cluster headaches which are so very unlike migraines and can be and usually are treated and resolve with 100% oxygen
Magnesium like potassium and calcium and anything ion works on the proton pumps isn't to be taken at whim.. When folks are sentenced to death by lethal injection, that injection contains potassium.. There is a delicate balance not to be messed with, without sound knowledge as to why..

Things don't work in the body by magic, there is a science to it.. Most of the 'chemicals' that folks put in their body were extracted and synthesized from plants anyway, I have written extensively on the matter, but I don't have the time to labor over it this very moment.. it wasn't until late in this century that many medications were synthesized of chemical compounds and without them such things like AIDS would still be claiming at the rate it has in the 80's ..

so I might consider acupuncture though I am a skeptic.. Magnesium is derived from our daily foods like potassium or sodium etc. I wouldn't reach for it in a large dose..

Magnesium is used to treat serious arrhythmia like torsades de poines, and magnesium sulfate for pre-eclampsia.. There are major side effects to it like anything else:
  • Flushing
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Palpitations
  • Headache
  • General muscle weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Constipation

with overdose you may get

• Cardiac arrest
  • Pulmonary edema (lungs fill with fluid; can be fatal)
  • Chest pain
  • Cardiac conduction defects
  • Low blood pressure
  • Low calcium
  • Increased urinary calcium
  • Visual disturbances
  • Decreased bone density
  • Respiratory depression (difficulty breathing)
  • Muscular hyperexcitability

so for your own sake, I wouldn't treat myself with something that I deem natural and its side effect profile is enigmatic to me without at least consulting with your PCP..

and Allah swt knows best

A_N_
12-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Gossamer Skye

A lot of people are worried that acupuncture will be painful. The needles that are used are very fine (much finer than those used for injections, taking blood etc). I generally use needles that are 0.2mm in diameter. Also, nothing is injected into the body, as in the administration of medication (I always find that part to be the most uncomfortable when I've been given drugs this way). People are generally surprised at how little it hurts - especially in comparison to their expectations.

I think you're right to be skeptical, but acupuncture really does work for migraines. As I said, acupuncture has been used for centuries for headaches and associated symptoms, and it's ability to treat migraines is being confirmed in clinical trials. Really, the question scientists are asking now is not if it works, but how it works.

Regarding supplements, I agree that it's good to be cautious. I think it's better to use foods rather than pills. Magnesium is thought by some to be important (it possibly works in a similar way to drugs like Flunarizine and other calcium channel antagonists). You can increase the amount of magnesium in your diet by eating green leafy vegetables (such as spinach) and nuts.

I've just finished writing an article outlining the treatment of migraine with drugs, acupuncture and other therapies. Have a read and see what you think:

Acupuncture and Migraine

andrew

Abdul Qadir
12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
:sl: sr.
magnesium is hopefully a part of ones diet anyway, there is a questionable study to its efficacy but the study was on cluster headaches which are so very unlike migraines and can be and usually are treated and resolve with 100% oxygen
Magnesium like potassium and calcium and anything ion works on the proton pumps isn't to be taken at whim.. When folks are sentenced to death by lethal injection, that injection contains potassium.. There is a delicate balance not to be messed with, without sound knowledge as to why..

Things don't work in the body by magic, there is a science to it.. Most of the 'chemicals' that folks put in their body were extracted and synthesized from plants anyway, I have written extensively on the matter, but I don't have the time to labor over it this very moment.. it wasn't until late in this century that many medications were synthesized of chemical compounds and without them such things like AIDS would still be claiming at the rate it has in the 80's ..

so I might consider acupuncture though I am a skeptic.. Magnesium is derived from our daily foods like potassium or sodium etc. I wouldn't reach for it in a large dose..

Magnesium is used to treat serious arrhythmia like torsades de poines, and magnesium sulfate for pre-eclampsia.. There are major side effects to it like anything else:
  • Flushing
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Palpitations
  • Headache
  • General muscle weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Constipation

with overdose you may get

• Cardiac arrest
  • Pulmonary edema (lungs fill with fluid; can be fatal)
  • Chest pain
  • Cardiac conduction defects
  • Low blood pressure
  • Low calcium
  • Increased urinary calcium
  • Visual disturbances
  • Decreased bone density
  • Respiratory depression (difficulty breathing)
  • Muscular hyperexcitability

so for your own sake, I wouldn't treat myself with something that I deem natural and its side effect profile is enigmatic to me without at least consulting with your PCP..

and Allah swt knows best

are u a medical doctor or what...

A_N_
12-05-2009, 04:11 PM
also, about community acupuncture clinics in NY, there seem to be quite a few. An assocciation called the 'Community Acupuncture Network' has a list:

Community Acupuncture Clinics in the USA

I'm sure you can always visit the local one to see if you like the atmosphere and setting.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.