/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am i allowed to say English language when prayer??

Bub
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I dont know Arabic but can i say english in my head or speaking when pray? Like Sura 1. Al-fatiha,
1.1 In the name of Allah, the All Merciful, The Ever Mercuit;

1.2. Praise to be to Allah, the Lord (Cherisher and Sustainer) of the worlds;

1.3 The All Merciful, The Ever Merciful;

1.4 The posseror of the Day of Judgment;

1.5 You (only) we worship and (only) Your help we seek.

1.6. Guide usto the Straigt path;

1.7 The Path of those on whom You have bestowed Your Mercy, not of those against whom You have sent (Your) wrath, nor of (those) who have erred and become lost.

Is it ok if i can say those in prayer or more specific?? Many thanks :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

We are to pray as the Prophet (saws) prayed. Amongst his companions were people who's first language was not arabic. Yet, they prayed in arabic.

When I was learning to pray, a sister sent me a set of index cards that were very helpful. they had a line in arabic, followed by the meaning in english. I would hold the cards as I prayed, read the arabic aloud, and then read the english meaning in my head. After a few weeks, not only did I have the prayers in arabic memorized, but I knew what I was saying too :statisfie

I created an electronic version of the cards that you can download and print out - http://www.mybloop.com/rahma/Islam/salat_doc

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
^^MashaAllah thats cool that u made that sis =]

And yes our prayers must be said in Arabic..inshaAllah. Just take the time to learn them sis :)

Bub
06-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Janaan, Mashaallah i love the way you wrote about prayer by step and u made these sounds so EASY. Okay it will take me a while to learn it. Thank you so MUCH Might Allah bless you! Yeah Insha'Allah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Saying the shahada in English is ok:"I testify that there is no God but Allah,he is one and has no partners and I also testify Muhammad was his servant and prophet." Note that servant is before Prophet because his first duty was as a servant then as a Prophet.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-20-2009, 05:40 PM
^ Aren't we talk about salah here.

ardianto
06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bub
I dont know Arabic but can i say english in my head or speaking when pray? Like Sura 1. Al-fatiha,
No ! we are not allowed to translate anyword in shalaat into english or other languages.

Esther462
06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I pray in english as I find learning the pray in arabic very hard.
I've asked my friends if it's alright for me to pray in english and say yes as allah understands all languages but you really should learn them in arabic.
Your ment to pray your personal prayer in your own language anyway.

alcurad
06-20-2009, 07:54 PM
generally speaking, since you just started, and you don't know Arabic then it's allowed to pray in whatever language you speak, as long as the meaning is intact.

The Ruler
06-20-2009, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
generally speaking, since you just started, and you don't know Arabic then it's allowed to pray in whatever language you speak, as long as the meaning is intact.
... But of course you must also, at the same time, put effort into learning the arabic.

alcurad
06-20-2009, 08:15 PM
^quite true, but it's not as if it's forbidden to read in English for example.
for now that is, I mean uttering unknown words is not the intent of prayer.

The Ruler
06-20-2009, 10:27 PM
It's not a matter of language... The Prophet Muhammad (saw) set us an example, and that's what we follow. It's what we're supposed to follow to the best of our ability.

جوري
06-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Mesopotamia is considered the birth place of civilization and as it happens, all Monotheistic religions have indeed originated from that part of the world. Not everything was kept in scrolls, thus whatever ideologies emerged afterward have focused on a central theme that is prevalent in all of mankind which is the need to find a purpose and its creator... Whether or not above said characters are myth or not, isn't not really up to you to decide.
Samaria is a ancient city in central Palestine (modern day Jordan) Hebrew/Aramaic/ Arabic/ Amharic are all Semitic languages and very similar to each other-- Arabic is the most highly evolved of those, and at its peak where men of old recited their large poems and stuck them on scrolls on the Ka'aba was the optimal time of revelation of the Quran, which in in its entirety reads like a poem, and thus was the challenge of the time, to bring a verse like unto it that will match it linguistically, in a meaningful manner as in a form of guidance for all of mankind si that governs ones life from politics, economics, social structure, laws of inheritance, jurisprudence, spirituality and act as both gladtiding and an admonition-- etc. and have it be as viable today as it was, when it was first revealed.. in other words have it withstand the test of time.. the challenge is still open by the way and many have attempted it--none have succeeded.. perhaps you can be the winner if you can do better than our outdated piece?..
And according to Bahai faith Baha` Ullah is more up to date.
It depends on what you are looking for with your up to date..

Islam is a done deal and there is no room for re-interpretation 85% of Muslims are sunni.. if interested in knowing why Baha'ullah isn't 'uptodate' you may read below: (sustainability of principal, credibility of both content and that of the messanger) plays a large part in both uptodateness and transcendence!

Name of Questioner
Fatimah - United States

Title
The Baha’i Sect: History & Beliefs

Question
I have been Muslim all my life, but as of late have been studying the Baha’i faith. What can you tell me about this faith, if anything, in its relationship to Islam? What is Islam's position regarding it as a valid and holy religion?

Date
16/Dec/2003

Name of Counsellor

Topic
Ideologies, Movements & Religions

Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

As regards the Baha’i sect and their faith and dogmas, Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr, former head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee, issued the following fatwa:

“Historically speaking, the Baha’iyyah is a Shiite sect that was named after one of its leaders, Husayn Nuri. This faith emerged as a Shiite sect that was led by some Shiites who totally deviated from Islam. It first started at the hands of Ahmad Al-Ahsani or Al-Bahrini, who was notable among scholars in Karbila’, An-Najaf, and Iran. He has authored some books based on which he was accused of worshipping `Ali ibn Abi Talib. He was also accused of denying the resurrection of humans’ bodies, claiming that it would be merely a spiritual resurrection. His followers were called “Ash-Shaykhiyyah” and he died during the twenties of the ninetieth century.

Kazim Ar-Rashti became leader after Al-Ahsani, and after his death in 1843 CE, there came Mirza `Ali Muhammad Ash-Shirazi, who was defied by the Iranian Government. After many debates between the Iranian Government and the Baha’i adherents, the former executed their leader then, Al-Bab, in 1850 CE, in Tabriz, then his corpse was carried to `Akka where he was buried.

Husayn Nuri (Al-Baha’), the one who came after Al-Bab, was very active in spreading the Baha’i faith and he wrote several books, foremost among them is al-Kitab al-Aqdas (The Most Holy Book). He died in `Akka, 1892 CE, where he was buried at the foot of Mount Carmel. His son, `Abbas Afandi, succeeded him in leading the sect and he died during the 1920s. Since then, the sect was divided into sub-sects and they no longer have a leader from the progeny of the founders. Instead, their affairs are maintained by one of the centers they established themselves.

Some Baha’i principles and beliefs:

1. Incarnation: Al-Bab claimed that Allah was personified in him. Also, he claimed himself to be god after his claim to prophethood. The same was claimed by `Abbas Afandi.

2. Inseparability of Allah from the world as claimed by some ancient philosophers.

3. Denial of the Day of Judgment. They interpret Paradise as the spiritual life, and Fire as the spiritual death.

4. Denial of the Prophets’ miracles and interpreting them as immaterial things, though they admit the possibility of prophethood. This shows the contradiction in their ideas and beliefs.

5. Claiming that they receive Divine Revelation (wahy) and writing books they claim to be better than the Glorious Qur’an.

6. The prophets were not sealed or finalized by Prophet Muhammad; the seal, to them, means the best, as claimed by the Qadyanis.

7. Going so far in interpreting the Glorious Qur’an – which they do not completely adhere to, but still use – to propagate their beliefs and “innovations”. There are many of these deviant and odd interpretations in one of their propagators’ books (Abu Al-Fadl Al-Garfadqani), entitled Ad-Durar Al-Bahiyyah.

8. There are many branches of their belief, foremost among which are the following:
a- The divine nature of the number “19” which is a Jewish concept. To them, the year consists of 19 months, the month consists of 19 days.
b- Lastly, they tried to interpret the Glorious Qur’an in the light of that “Divine” number. To them, prayer consists of 9 rak`ahs (i.e. prayer units). Their qiblah (i.e. direction of prayer) is where the Baha’ is. To them, it is a must to denounce Hajj and moreover, they should demolish the Sacred House when they are able to.

Based on the above, we conclude that Baha’ism is a mixture of various religions, sects and philosophies. It is vague and has nothing to do with reform. Instead, it is a movement meant to defy all religions that had been manipulated by international colonialism. It is similar to masonry in that both of them are anti-religion by using deceiving slogans, such as the service to humanity, and achieving international brotherhood and justice. `Abbas declared that he wanted to unite the Muslims, Christians and Jews and bring them together on the principles and Law of Moses (Musa) in whom they all believe. (Quoted from `Abd Al-Baha’ wal-Baha’iyyah, p. 87-93)

The detailed critical refutation of such deviant beliefs cannot be given within the limited scope of a fatwa. Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee issued a Fatwa that whosoever converts from Islam to Baha’iyyah is an apostate; his/her marriage will be invalid, even if he is married to a Baha’i just like himself.

For further elaboration, read my books Dirasat Islamiyyah li ahamm al-Qadayah al-Mu`asirah (Islamic Studies of the Most Important Contemporary Issues), and Al-Babiyyya wa al-Baha’iyya: Tarikhan wa Madhhaban (Al-Babiyyya and al-Baha’iyya: History and Doctrine).”

You can also read:
Of course Mohammad is going to say pray in arabic, beacsue that was his native language. He was hardly going to say pray in Hindi. All he was trying to do was unite the arabic people as one people, which he did, and one way was to have them united in one language. Nowadays you are united in one religion, why bother with the language? A bit like the US right to bear arms. When the US was first formed it was nesessary to form an instant army. Nowadays it is a piece of outdated law because they have a professional (ha!) army. Yet traditionalists refuse to move on. They drag it down.
Prophet Mohamed (p) wasn't trying to 'unite the Arabs' it was indeed a good thing that Islam ended tribalism, but judging from the early history of Islam and the empires it conquered in a matter of days, Islam was meant as the final message to all of man/kind.. now where your wheeling and dealings are concerned you are free to do as your mother tongue dictates, when it comes to prayer, then you must stick with the Quran in Arabic.. traditionalist may drag you down, but they are also the reason behind the excellent preservation of Islam so that if you were reciting the Quran today it would be as if you were reciting it centuries past.. The Quran is the literal word of God, it isn't hadith for one to switch one word for another and have resonate the same.. we don't paraphrase in the Quran or give it the rendition of our choosing. It is a package deal take it or leave.. and since it is on no consequence to you one way or the other, I'd refrain from giving advise to Muslims where it comes to specific matters on Islamic jurisprudence~!

and on a last note: Ironically it is the professional (ha) army that is dragging most Muslim world down.. they didn't suffer secular plight when they adhered to proper sunnah. Goes to show you that the old British employed "Divide and Rule" motto has served the hedonistic world well but sent the Muslim world on a down world spiral..

"The nations are about to call each other and set upon you, just as diners set upon food." It was said: "Will it be because of our small number that day?" He said: "Rather, on that day you will be many, but you will be like foam, like the foam on the river. And Allaah will remove the fear of you from the hearts of your enemies and will throw wahn (weakness) into your hearts." Someone said: "O Messenger of Allaah! What is Wahn?" He said: "Love of the world and the hatred for death." [5]

“Abu Sa'id al-Khudri reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: You would tread the same path as was trodden by those before you inch by inch and step by step so much so that if they had entered into the hole of the lizard, you would follow them in this also. We said: Allah's Messenger, do you mean Jews and Christians (by your words)" those before you"? He said: Who else?” (Sahih Muslim - Kitab Al-`Ilm)

“If you transact in `Iynah, follow the tails of cows (tilling the land), become content with agriculture and abandoned Jihad, Allah will send on you humiliation that He will not lifted until, you return to your religion.”(Abu Dawud).

all the best

Muslim Woman
06-21-2009, 01:13 AM
:sl:
... it will take me a while to learn it.
May Allah make it easy for u .

Are u a new Muslim ? Don't skip salat & say Allahu Akbar or La Ilaha illallah Muhammed Rasul Allah etc instead of Sura for the time being. InshaAllah your salat will be accepted :)

I read about a new Muslim who used powerpoint on the laptop & put it in front of her while parying.

ardianto
06-21-2009, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
I know my english isn't good, but what do you mean with 'pray' ?.
If this 'pray' is shalaat, we are NOT ALLOWED to use another languages. But if this 'pray' is du'a, of course we can make du'a in whatever language.

The Ruler
06-21-2009, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I know my english isn't good, but what do you mean with 'pray' ?.
If this 'pray' is shalaat, we are NOT ALLOWED to use another languages. But if this 'pray' is du'a, of course we can make du'a in whatever language.
You missed the "since you just started" part of the post.

ardianto
06-21-2009, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
You missed the "since you just started" part of the post.
"Since you just started" what ?. Start shalaat or shalaat in the first time ?.
I didn't missed anything when I quoted that post.

There is difference between know and memorize. Actually, many muslim say an short suraah after say al-fatihah when shalaat but they don't know what's meaning of that suraah. However, we are not allowed to translate anyword in shalaat.

The Ruler
06-21-2009, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
"Since you just started" what ?. Start shalaat or shalaat in the first time ?.
I didn't missed anything when I quoted that post.
Yup, the OP only recently started salaat. It's best for her to continue salaah by reading the translation or whatever, than not pray at all simply because she doesn't know Arabic.

alcurad
06-21-2009, 05:27 PM
the scholars differ on whether it is allowed or not.
if one does not speak/understand Arabic, then one should learn enough to be able to perform the 5 daily prayers in it, however as long as one does not sufficiently understand/pronounce the words, it is allowed to perform the entire prayer, including the recitation, and the other words and prayers that are mentioned therefore, in another language that one understands.

there are more strict opinions, such as that regardless of not knowing Arabic, one has to perform the prayers in it and so on, but then there isn't much evidence for that position, not to mention it's not logical. the 5 prayers are meant for us, we benefit from them, Allah in his glory does not need us to pray, thus praying in a language you don't understand benefits us how?

ardianto
06-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't know Arabic but I never translate anything when shalaat. I just memorize some short suraah or quoted ayaah from long suraah.
All scholar in my place agree, say other language when shalaat is forbidden. But all scholar in my place are also agree, difference is 'rahmat'.

Okay, if you say it's allowed to say English language when shalaat, that's no problem for me. Difference is 'rahmat'. :)

alcurad
06-21-2009, 09:38 PM
^that is good too :)

Bub
06-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Thank you everybody! InshaAllah Allah bless you all! I will try to learning Arabic but i will speaking English bec Allah know EVERYTHING and what is more important is to prayer to Allah! InshaAllah

Zafran
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Thank you everybody! InshaAllah Allah bless you all! I will try to learning Arabic but i will speaking English bec Allah know EVERYTHING and what is more important is to prayer to Allah! InshaAllah
salaam

Just pray to Allah swt and you'll learn the pary in arabic in no time - it just needs practice.

peace

UmmSqueakster
06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Honestly, if I can learn salat in arabic, just about anyone on this planet can. I am beyond hopeless when it comes to learning languages - I've tried Spanish, Russian, French and Arabic. Guess how many languages I speak? 1 - english. Yet by simply repeating the salat in arabic, as well as listening to a lot of Qur'an, arabic is beginning to stick in my mind.

'Abd-al Latif
06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
What should a non-Arab do for the adhkaar in salaah (prayer)?

Q.I have become Muslim, al-hamdu-Lillaah, but I do not know Arabic. What should I do with regard to the adhkaar (phrases praising Allaah) in the prayer and reading Qur’aan in Arabic?

A.Praise be to Allaah.

The majority of fuqaha’ say that if the non-Arab can speak Arabic, he should not recite Takbeer (saying “Allaahu akbar (Allaah is Most Great)”) in any other language. The evidence for this is that the texts instruct this particular wording, which is Arabic, and that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do it any other way.

But if a non-Arab cannot speak Arabic and is unable to pronounce it, then according to the majority of fuqaha’ it is OK for him to say the Takbeer in his own language after it has been translated from Arabic, according to the statements of the Shaafa’is and Hanbalis, no matter what the language is. The Takbeer is remembrance or mentioning of Allaah, and Allaah can be remembered or mentioned in every language, so a language other than Arabic is an alternative, and the person has to learn how to say it in the other language. There is some controversy as to whether all of the adhkaar of the prayer, such as tashahhud, qunoot, du’aa’, and the tasbeehaat in rukoo’ and sujood may be said in languages other than Arabic.

With regard to reading Qur’aan, the majority say that it is not permissible to read it in any language other than Arabic. The evidence for this is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur’aan…” [Yoosuf 12:2]

Moreover, the Qur’aan is a miracle in its wording and its meaning; if it is changed, this is no longer the case, and it is no longer Qur’aan but an interpretation (tafseer). (al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, part 5: A’jami).

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“Section: It is not right to read it in any language other than Arabic, or to substitute other words in Arabic, whether the person can read it well in Arabic or not, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…an Arabic Qur’aan …’ [Yoosuf 12:2] and ‘In the plain Arabic language’ [al-Shu’ara’ 26:195]. The Qur’aan is a miracle in both its wording and its meaning, but if it is changed this is no longer the case, it is not Qur’aan or anything like it. It is only an interpretation (tafseer), and if the interpretation were like the Qur’aan itself, they would not be unable to meet the challenge of producing a soorah like it.

If a person cannot read well in Arabic, he has to learn. If he does not learn when he is able to, his prayers are not valid. If he is not able, or he fears that he does not have time to learn before the time for the next prayer is over, and he knows one aayah of al-Faatihah, he should repeat it seven times… If he can recite more than that, he should repeat it as much as he needs to make his recitation equivalent to the length of Soorat al-Fatihah, or he could make it up by reciting other aayaat. If he knows some aayaat he does not have to repeat, he could recite another aayah instead, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded the one who could not recite Qur’aan well to say ‘Al-Hamdu Lillaah (Praise be to Allaah)’ and other phrases, which is part of an aayah, but he did not command him to repeat it. If he cannot do anything, but he knows some of the Qur’aan by heart, he should recite whatever he can, and nothing else will do, because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Rifaa’ah ibn Raafi’, who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you get up to pray, if you know some Qur’aan, recite it, otherwise say al-hamdu Lillaah (praise be to Allaah), and La ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god but Allaah), and Allaahu akbar (Allaah is Most Great).” This is more like Qur’aan, and is more appropriate (than any other words). He should also recite as much as he needs to make it equivalent in length to Soorat al-Faatihah. If he cannot recite anything of the Qur’aan, and cannot learn before it is too late to pray the current prayer, he should say Subhaan Allaah wa’l-hamdu Lillaah wa Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar wa Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (Glory be to Allaah; praise be to Allaah; there is no god but Allaah; Allaah is Most Great; and there is no strength and no power except with Allaah). Abu Dawood reported that a man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “I cannot learn anything of the Qur’aan. Teach me something that will suffice me.” He said, “Say Subhaan Allaah wa’l-hamdu Lillaah wa Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar wa Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah.”

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3471

Bub
06-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Abd-al Latif, thank you so much for sharing :-)

Yanal
06-27-2009, 01:38 AM
No, it is not true. You can make salat in any language. But for the time being, you should learn how to read al-Fatiha in Arabic. Until then, your salat is valid in English or any other language. That is the Hanafi school answer.

egyptballer
06-27-2009, 01:43 AM
My signature may help you in your prayer.

Click the link below:inshAllah

Bub
06-29-2009, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by egyptballer
My signature may help you in your prayer.

Click the link below:inshAllah
:X i didnt think you have signature??

happynur
08-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Try harder and Allah will give more reward to you. And your jannat level will be higher… :)

bamboozled
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM

1.7 The Path of those on whom You have bestowed Your Mercy, not of those against whom You have sent (Your) wrath, nor of (those) who have erred and become lost.

Its your lucky day.

After reading your post I spent the next 1and 1/2 hours fixing my scanner and my old computer. Just to upload these images to you:

http://www.2shared.com/file/7283457/65588db7/Page1.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/7283459/82e0a0b0/Page2.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/7283463/49181a6d/Page3.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/7283469/a9cdf373/Page4.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/7283486/a7f1c36c/Page5.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/7283497/...roduction.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/7283501/...tul_Kursi.html

I have created a post in the 'PRAYER' section explaining why I included Aytul Kursi and the Salah introcution table and also the orignal book I got this information from should you wish to buy it yourself as it have many pages I only scanned 7 or something.

I hope this helps. It should mean you dont need to sit down and read the arabic, rather the english transliteration, its how I learned.

Inshallah my other post will be approved and turned into a STICKY.

Good luck. Try and keep them all In ramadan in arabic! Mashallah Inshallah

unitedmuslim73
12-13-2009, 08:01 PM

You must offer salaat in the language that Allah has send the holy Quran because what you recite are the words of Allah. There are some words in Quran who have atlest 7 meanings but its difficult to know which meaning suits the verse. But you can recite dua in english e.g dua before taking a bath: Praise to Allah the almighty who created Day n nite in equal portion, I am sinner and you to clean my body along wiz my soul for i will surely stand in front of you for the last judgement.

desert winds
12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
hello- if you do not know english then maybe- but it is best t ;earn arbic- maybe you should call the masjid and seek advice form them- they will be able to tell you according to shariah-

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.