PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't every Muslim home have the Hadeeth books?



Ali_008
06-21-2009, 07:51 AM
:salaam:

This fact has always troubled me. The Noble Qur'an is seen and available in every home but whereas the books of Hadeeth are not. Though the Hadeeth come after the Qur'an in all degrees and all scholars say that the Hadeeth is the commentary of the Qur'an. It may not be a culture all over the world but here where I live I haven't seen any home with Sahih Bukhari or even Sahih Muslim. The six major books (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan ibn-Majah, Sunan at-Tirmidhi, Sunan an-Nasai and Sunan Abu Dawood) are only found in libraries. From the past few months I have been planning to buy all 6 of them but when I told a fellow friend of mine, he said that I'd be going extremes by doing it and I should just go on with one of the four schools of thought.

I've seen books like Muntakhab Ahadeeth and Fazail-i-'Amaal at many places and they seem to be serving the purpose of the Prophet's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) sayings. Those books only deal with Salaah, Hajj, Ramadaan, Tableegh, Zikr etc whereas our beloved Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) has shown us directions in every path of life. Why is it preferred to ask an aalim every time you need guidance rather than reading and following the hadeeth yourself? I hope you guys understood what I was trying to say and throw some light on this issue.

:w:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
06-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Hadeeth books are available in some book stores near my home, but the problem is..................the price is too expensive !.
Reply

Zafran
06-22-2009, 04:38 AM
salaam

they are on the internet but you need fiqh anyway or a commentery by a scholar to understand them in context.

peace
Reply

GuestFellow
06-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I tried to read a Hadeeth book however I don't understand it. :/
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Banu_Hashim
06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ali_008
Why is it preferred to ask an aalim every time you need guidance rather than reading and following the hadeeth yourself? I hope you guys understood what I was trying to say and throw some light on this issue.
Hadeeth in Islam, serves the purpose of padding out Islam as a complete way of life, which it is. In the Qur'an it says to pray, fast, go for hajj etc. but exactly how to do that, we can only derive from the hadeeth. By doing so, we are deriving rulings essentially from these hadeeth. Scholars of the four major schools of thought, have spent their entire lives deriving rulings. A hadeeth can be interpreted several ways, one way may be correct, and the other may be incorrect.

If you want to do an Alim course for at least 6 years to become a basic Alim, and then subsequently study for a number of years specialising in hadeeth, then be my guest. You can then order all the hadith books available and interpret them yourself.

But, if not, then the next best thing is to stick to school of thought e.g. Hanifi, because Imam Abu Hanifa and his students, and the other Imams and their students have done the work, and derived the correct intepretations.

There are several hadeeth, that concentrate on morals and characters that you find in the hadeeth books in most homes. So, I'm not saying don't buy the books. On the contrary, buy them and read the hadeeths. We have several hadith books, including the summarised version of Sahih Al-Bukhari. But, don't be surprised if you don't understand all of them. And there are many many books of hadith, not just the Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim.
Reply

paradise88
06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ali_008
:salaam:

This fact has always troubled me. The Noble Qur'an is seen and available in every home but whereas the books of Hadeeth are not.
That is true! They are important and explain many things. I wish I had them but I am researching on the internet. I have noticed the language is quite hard for me to understand, even in many translations of the Quran. Does anybody know useful links or places where the translation language is a little modern or easy to understand for younger people or teenagers?
Reply

Abdul Fattah
06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Selam aleykum
Not al muslims understand arabic, or even read it. And not all hadeethbooks have been translated in every different language.
Reply

Uthman
06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
:sl:
Originally Posted by paradise786
Does anybody know useful links or places where the translation language is a little modern or easy to understand for younger people or teenagers?
Try this one: http://www.ummah.net/what-is-islam/quran/neindex.htm

:w:
Reply

جوري
06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I used to have a delightful Hadith encyclopedia on my previous computer, but alas that computer like many other electrical appliances I possessed met with a certain fate and I couldn't revive it or retrieve the info therein, it also had a nice tafisr a7lam book and a few stories and fatwa data base.. I really miss it imsad...
now if I want to look a hadith up, not only do I struggle to find like words and search google, but I must also be met with a million anti-Islamic website before reaching my desired site..

also the compendium of Muslim text has now been hijacked by Jews, I am not sure why? but it is just as well.. God forbid anything in the world should be untainted by their imperialistic hands...
Reply

- IqRa -
06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
This is the best site for hadith I have ever come across;

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/c...muslim/hadith/
Reply

Ali_008
06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Hadeeth in Islam, serves the purpose of padding out Islam as a complete way of life, which it is. In the Qur'an it says to pray, fast, go for hajj etc. but exactly how to do that, we can only derive from the hadeeth. By doing so, we are deriving rulings essentially from these hadeeth. Scholars of the four major schools of thought, have spent their entire lives deriving rulings. A hadeeth can be interpreted several ways, one way may be correct, and the other may be incorrect.

If you want to do an Alim course for at least 6 years to become a basic Alim, and then subsequently study for a number of years specialising in hadeeth, then be my guest. You can then order all the hadith books available and interpret them yourself.

But, if not, then the next best thing is to stick to school of thought e.g. Hanifi, because Imam Abu Hanifa and his students, and the other Imams and their students have done the work, and derived the correct intepretations.

There are several hadeeth, that concentrate on morals and characters that you find in the hadeeth books in most homes. So, I'm not saying don't buy the books. On the contrary, buy them and read the hadeeths. We have several hadith books, including the summarised version of Sahih Al-Bukhari. But, don't be surprised if you don't understand all of them. And there are many many books of hadith, not just the Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim.
:sl:
Jazakallah Khair for the informative response. I have Saheeh Bukhari in my laptop which I downloaded from the internet but I always doubt the authencity og everything that I get on the net especially related to Islam because there are some Jews who run Islamic sites and misquote the Qur'an and the Hadeeth. Sometimes I don't even understand some Hadeeth and I agree that they require commentary but still whatever can be understood should be followed and wherever we fall into doubt then we can go for an aalim.
Reply

paradise88
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you people for the usefull links :)
Reply

brotherubaid
06-24-2009, 07:42 AM
The important boosk have been translated into englush n other languages.

Even if all of them havent been , which is not true check dar us salam website they have ALL the hadith books translated , I mean if if they dont have them all , Have we read Bukhari n muslim??? why are we waiting for all of them to be translated? why cant we benefit from the "IMPORTANT" n "AUTHENTIC" one that have been translated, I wish there were translations of the classifications of al albani, the daeef n sahih n other books.


Nice thread may Allah reward you ,

Its sad how hadith has been almost ignored and the little bit of interpretation of hadith that we do take from those who we follow in our deen at times is not the correct one, ratjher it is twisted n turned to reach the desired comclusion.

Only if we truly held on to the Quran and AUTHENTIC hadith , n i say it again AUTHENTIC hadeeth , we would InshahAllah be of those who are on the path and on the way of the Prophet n the Sahaba n the sect that will enter paradise from the 73 mentioned, Rest no one is guranteed , every sect cant be right , yes every one claims to follow the quran and hadeeth but are they truthful?? the only way to find that out is by taking everybodys statement and presenting it on The Quran and Sunnah and weighing it in the scales of Quran n sunnah , take the creed of any sect out there weigh it in the scale of Quran n sunnah see if it is according to it n if it is not leave it.

Only if we had evena little knowledge of hadith n i mean authentic hadith then half of the sects would just disappear coz their ways n creed would contradict with the authentic statemets of the Prophet Sala lahu alihi wa sallam.

The importantce of hadeeth cannever be stressed enough , the authentic hadith diffrentiates between the truth and the Batil.

Its amazing how some people when given the authentic statements n hadith of the prophet leave it and dont apply it and all they have to say is that" Our Madhab say so and so , our sheikh , our imam sees so and so , Come onnn?? This is the Hadith and its authentic , Peopel simply leave hundreds and hadiths just coz the imam sees diffrently and By Allah the Imams lived and died searching for knowledge and adhereing o the Sunnah and ordered us to follow the sunnah and hadith and to leave their statement if a hadith contradits it, but we have become so numb that it doe snot matter to us any more , Allah Ul Musta'an, May Allah guide us all to the Quran and authetic sunah and make us from those that follow The quran and sunnah and DO NOT give preceedence to the statemnet of any one against the statements of the beloved Prophet sala lahu alihi wa salam.

Hadith is where we get the Sunnah from , Hadith is sunnah n sunnah is hadith .

Here is something beautiful by Imam Ahmed Ibn Hnabal , The protector of the Sunnah.
The Foundations of the Sunnah
By the Imaam of Ahlus-Sunnah, the great Scholar of Hadeeth
& Fiqh, the Subduer of Innovations
Imaam Ahmad Bin Hanbal
Died 241 after the Hijrah (Rahimahullaah).

The Fundamental Principles of the Sunnah with us are:

1.Holding fast to what the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (salallalaahu alayi wa sallam) were upon.

2.Taking them (and their way) as a model to be followed.

3.The abandonment of innovations, and every innovation is a misguidance.

4.The abandonment of controversies.

5.The abandonment of sitting with the people of Ahwaa (desires).

6.And the abandonment of quarelling, argumentation and controversy in the religion.

7.And the Sunnah with us are the aathar (narrations) of the Messenger of Allaah (salallalaahu alayi wa sallam).

8.And the Sunnah explains and clarifies the Quraan.

9.It is the guide to the Quraan (containing evidences and indications as to its meanings and correct interpretations).

10.There is no analogical reasoning in the Sunnah and examples or likenesses are not to be made for it.

11.Nor is it grasped and comprehended by the intellects or the desires.

12.Rather it (consists of) following (and depending upon) it and abandoning the hawaa (desire).

13.It is from the binding and necessary Sunnah, (the Sunnah) which whoever leaves a single matter from it, has not accepted it (in its totality), has not believed in it and is not from its people:

14.To have faith in the Qadar (the Divine Pre-decree), both its good and its evil.

15.To affirm the ahaadeeth related to it and have faith in them. It is not to be said, “Why?” or “How?” It is (but) attestation (to the truthfulness of such ahaadeeth) and having faith in them.

Notes: The term Sunnah here refers to the principles and foundations of the correct Islamic aqeedah (belief) and manhaj (methodology), since the Salaf would apply this term to matters of aqeedah ans manhaj- as can be seen from their books and writings, for example:

(i) Kitaabus-Sunnah of Imaam Ahmad (d. 241H)
(ii) Sharhus-Sunnah of al-Babahaaree (d. 329H) (and other great books/ writings).

The term "Sunnah" was employed in this context to differentiate between those matters of aqeedah and manhaj that the Salaf were upon from those matters which were innovated by the deviant and misguided sects.
Reply

IslamicRevival
06-24-2009, 07:58 AM
May i ask why Y A NABI (PBUH) IS FILTERED?

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH SAYING Y A NABI (PBUH)?!

Reason i ask, Posted a link but the words Y A NABI (PBUH) WERE filtered!
Reply

brotherubaid
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
lets see , a person say Ya Allah n another Say Ya Nabi... can they be equal..??

Ya nabi is Calling , Asking , Supplicating, Invocating , All of which should be only for Allah

Give one proof that the Sahaba , the companions said ya nabi after He sala lahu alihi wa sallam passed away.

Saying Ya nabi is joining the nabi in worship with Allah, Coz only Allah has the right to be called , n asked .
Reply

Ali_008
06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I know that some Hadeeth are hard to understand but not all. I'm not saying that any of the 4 Schools of thought are wrong but still they've created divisions among Muslims all around the world. Just a few days ago, I saw a thread in the Advice & Support section where a sister who was a Maliki was asking if she could marry a Hanafi and both the bride and the groom were trying to influence each other to take up their respective madhhab. Even the first Caliph Hadhrat Abu Bakr Siddiq (may Allah be pleased with him) was concerned about divisions being formed in Islam till his last breath.

And we mostly differ when it comes to Salaah, whereas Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Pray as you've seen me pray" and Alhamdulillah the Hadeeth do contain even the minute details of how our beloved Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) prayed. Sometimes I get really worried about what I'm doing at that point of time is anyway appropriate or not and there's always the fear of falling into any kind of biddah (iinovations). If I have a doubt, I run through the hundreds of pages of IslamQA.com to find anything similar to my situation.

Since the day I started practising Islam, I've thought of buying the 6 books but recently the observations I made scared me to go ahead with the plan. I still ask all of you. Do you think it would be right if I buy those books and refer to the scholars whenever I'm in doubt and would you buy it as well?
Reply

AabiruSabeel
06-26-2009, 05:50 PM
:sl:
Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Hadeeth in Islam, serves the purpose of padding out Islam as a complete way of life, which it is. In the Qur'an it says to pray, fast, go for hajj etc. but exactly how to do that, we can only derive from the hadeeth. By doing so, we are deriving rulings essentially from these hadeeth. Scholars of the four major schools of thought, have spent their entire lives deriving rulings. A hadeeth can be interpreted several ways, one way may be correct, and the other may be incorrect.

If you want to do an Alim course for at least 6 years to become a basic Alim, and then subsequently study for a number of years specialising in hadeeth, then be my guest. You can then order all the hadith books available and interpret them yourself.

But, if not, then the next best thing is to stick to school of thought e.g. Hanifi, because Imam Abu Hanifa and his students, and the other Imams and their students have done the work, and derived the correct intepretations.

There are several hadeeth, that concentrate on morals and characters that you find in the hadeeth books in most homes. So, I'm not saying don't buy the books. On the contrary, buy them and read the hadeeths. We have several hadith books, including the summarised version of Sahih Al-Bukhari. But, don't be surprised if you don't understand all of them. And there are many many books of hadith, not just the Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim.
MashaAllah, excellent reply. Just what I wanted to say.
Originally Posted by Ali_008
I know that some Hadeeth are hard to understand but not all. I'm not saying that any of the 4 Schools of thought are wrong but still they've created divisions among Muslims all around the world. Just a few days ago, I saw a thread in the Advice & Support section where a sister who was a Maliki was asking if she could marry a Hanafi and both the bride and the groom were trying to influence each other to take up their respective madhhab. Even the first Caliph Hadhrat Abu Bakr Siddiq (may Allah be pleased with him) was concerned about divisions being formed in Islam till his last breath.

And we mostly differ when it comes to Salaah, whereas Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Pray as you've seen me pray" and Alhamdulillah the Hadeeth do contain even the minute details of how our beloved Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) prayed. Sometimes I get really worried about what I'm doing at that point of time is anyway appropriate or not and there's always the fear of falling into any kind of biddah (iinovations). If I have a doubt, I run through the hundreds of pages of IslamQA.com to find anything similar to my situation.

Since the day I started practising Islam, I've thought of buying the 6 books but recently the observations I made scared me to go ahead with the plan. I still ask all of you. Do you think it would be right if I buy those books and refer to the scholars whenever I'm in doubt and would you buy it as well?
The different schools of thoughts are not actually divisions, since they all support each other. None says the other is wrong. This type of difference in interpretation was there since the time of Sahabah and even during the time of our Prophet Sallallahu 'Alaihi waSallam. This topic is discussed many times, you can search it.

As for buying the books of Hadeeth, I would say it's better to buy the classical books (6 authentic ones) only if you are becoming an 'Alim or studying the sciences of Hadeeth. These books contain all types of Ahadeeth and are usually used to derive a ruling.
The books like Riyadhus-Saliheen, Muntakhab Ahadeeth, and other books on fazail are more widely spread and recommended to be read by all because these deal with virtues of performing certain actions and not used for deriving the rulings etc. These Ahadeeth are only used to exhort us to perform the deeds, and are not used to show us how to perform the actions. For the latter case, we need expert advice from 'ulama, people who have spent years learning the Quran and Hadeeth.
Reply

Caller الداعي
06-26-2009, 06:40 PM
salam
i think its a very good point bro, however not every muslim has enough knowledge to benefit and understand ahadith in their context, how to deal with apparent contradictions, the different levels and grades of hadith which is why people take out time to study the great sciences of hadith (and being in the main six books doesnt mean we can just pick it up and understand) on the other hand each ayat of quran is of the same degree which is called tawatur....(i mean why dont we have the british law book in our homes its similar to be able to benefit from it we would require to have studied some law.)
oh yeah plus the recital of the quran is a form of worship unlike recital of most of the ahadith.
however this doesnt mean that it we cant do anything infact we can start studying ahadith from local scholars and try to benefit from these great books.
Reply

alcurad
06-26-2009, 06:58 PM
don't get anything written after Al Bukhari, they took what Al Bukhari discarded and made it strong by weakening/discarding his criteria for acceptance.

the main reason for division is accepting weak/false narrations, and most modern scholars of hadeeth-such as al albani-are making it even worse.

also be careful of dubbing a hadeeth 'authentic' or 'saheeh', we don't know for sure, and the term is not clearly defined to begin with. as it were, the science of hadeeth needs a revival, a return to the strong criteria of Al Bukhari and those before him-suh as Imam Malik-. not that there weren't good scholars after him, but they are so few to be counted on the fingers.
Reply

Zafran
06-26-2009, 08:45 PM
salaam

A good place to start on Hadith is Imam Nawwis 40 hadiths. Preety basic buts its preety good - with commmentry.

peace
Reply

Ali_008
06-27-2009, 12:50 AM
I genuinely appreciate every reply that this thread is receiving and I'm benefittimg from it a lot. May Allah bless all of you. First and foremost, I'm not studying to become a scholar though I'm ambitious in this case. Most of us know that even the Quran and the Hadeeth encourage us to refer to scholars at times of doubt and I truly respect their opinions and the rulings they pass based on the Quran and the Hadeeth. But you can't refer to a scholar for every single thing and you might just end up asking too many questions. Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Avoid too much questioning. Generations before you were destroyed because of that." The Hadeeth give us a broader picture of Islam about how each and every second is to be spent. When I see Hadeeth about family and trading, I feel incomplete. Islam is not just Salaah and Fasting and Dhikr and Dua. You have to be a good family man, a good businessman, a good socialite etc and we miss out on those Hadeeth many times.
Reply

brotherubaid
06-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Any one knows if the al albani classification have been translated , if so u can get that u get all the saheeh in opne place , all teh weak n fabricated, so u know first hand which hadeeth to take n which one to leave because of its health.
Reply

Ali_008
06-29-2009, 06:27 AM
:sl:

^^brotherubaid made an effective point earlier in that post but I think thatpost has been edited because the last time I saw it was a long and interesting one. So I'll try and repeat what he said in the following, Inshallah.

Firstly, I'm very sorry for having ignored this thread after opening it and not keeping it hot.:bump1:

We're in a world today where schools of thought are followed but to which school of thought did our beloved Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) belong to, which school of thought did Hadhrat Abu Bakr Siddiq, Hadhrat Umar Farooq, Hadhrat Uthman Ghani, Hadhrat Ali Murtuza (Radhiallahu Anhum) belong to. The schools were formed with absolute pure intentions (I agree to that). but it is possible that a hadeeth might not have reached a particular Imam and so it is not part of their school.
So keeping the above points in mind, it won't be right to follow a particular school of thought blindly. We have to see whats best and evaluate ourselves. Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allah have mercy on him) followed the Hanbali school because he found it to be sound. The four Imams did not have the access to each and every hadeeth and their sciences but we do. I think finally, I've been able to put forward my point, Alhamdulillah.

Today, many people take the shade under the school of thought with the belief that they're inadequate of understanding of deen and on the day of Judgment, if they had done anything wrong following any of the schools, Allah might forgive them because they followed one particular Imam. In this regard, on the day of Judgment it will be every man for himself and nobody can put forward excuses like "I did this because he told me to do it,, or he misled me..."" Rather in the Qur'an it is mentioned that "recrimination" will be the practice of the people of Hell or The Companions of the Left Hand.

I can't say that one particular school of thought is the ideal way because I haven't studied any of them but it is very well known that each school has accepted Daeef hadeeth in one practice or the other. Watch the following videos, they only give reference to where to keep the hands during Salaah (below the navel, on the navel or on the chest) but again the speaker, Dr. Zakir Naik, is saying what I'm trying to say. Both are brilliant videos, you'll enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBlfDW59VVA

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeGc0zSAlQ

:w:
Reply

AabiruSabeel
06-29-2009, 07:04 AM
:sl:
Originally Posted by Ali_008
:sl:

^^brotherubaid made an effective point earlier in that post but I think thatpost has been edited because the last time I saw it was a long and interesting one. So I'll try and repeat what he said in the following, Inshallah.
That post was not edited or deleted. It was kept in moderation queue to prevent this thread from going off topic.
So keeping the above points in mind, it won't be right to follow a particular school of thought blindly. We have to see whats best and evaluate ourselves. Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allah have mercy on him) followed the Hanbali school because he found it to be sound. The four Imams did not have the access to each and every hadeeth and their sciences but we do. I think finally, I've been able to put forward my point, Alhamdulillah.
I can't say that one particular school of thought is the ideal way because I haven't studied any of them but it is very well known that each school has accepted Daeef hadeeth in one practice or the other.
No bro, you are assuming here that we have access to each and every hadeeth after 1400 years and the Ahadeeth that even Imams of the Salaf did not know. In fact, Imam Abu Hanifa (RH) is a Tabi'ee. He has a met and seen a few Sahabah practice. And Imam Shafi'ee (RH), Imam Ahmad (RH), and Imam Malik (RH) are all from the next generation, ie they have seen the Tabi'een. They had access to those Ahadeeth as well that have not reached us. There is a possibility that a few Ahadeeth that were available to those Imams with Sound narrations, might have later become weak in it's chain due to later narrators. And there are Hadeeth books that were written after the time of the Imams. So how can you say the Imams didn't have access to Ahadeeth and we have access to them?

I would recommend you to read this book, Legal Status of Following a Madhab by Mufti Taqi Usmani:
http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Lega...ingAMadhab.pdf


This topic of following a School of Thought was discussed here, you can view the following threads for more details.

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...06-madhab.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/methodol...t-correct.html

Originally Posted by brotherubaid
Books like fazail e amal and others are to be avoided coz they are filled with weak and fabricated , yes there is some good in it , but if u look at some of the Aqaid promoted or mentioned in it you will be surprised.

Riyadh al saliheen is a good book of hadith and The 40 al nawawi is a great way to start , we also have the 40 Ibn rajab al hanbali.

But there is weak ones in riyadh al saliheen also , so always stick to the scholars , stick to the people of knowledge , the big scholars the muhadiths and the people of hadith.
Again bro, the scholars who have compiled these books of Ahadeeth were great scholars of their time. How can we laymen assume that these scholars have included weak and fabricated ahadeeth in their works? It's an allegation out of ignorance.

The books Riyadhus-Saliheen and Fazaile A'mal are the books on Fazail (virtues) of deeds. The 'Ulama have always used and allowed the use of weak ahadeeth in matters pertaining to fazail.
From the Epilogue of hafiz al-Sakhawi's
"al-Qawl al-badi` fi al-salat `ala al-habib al-shafi`"
[The Admirable Doctrine Concerning the Invocation upon the Beloved Intercessor]

Shaykh al-Islam Abu Zakariyya al-Nawawi (rad.ia-LLahu `anhu) said in the 'Adhkar':
"The ulama among the experts in hadith and the experts in law and others have said: it is permissible and (also) recommended that the religious practice (al-`amal) concerning good deeds and good character (al-fadâ'il), encouragement to good and discouragement from evil (al-targhib wa al-tarhib) be based (even) on weak hadith (bi al-hadith al- da`îf) as long as it is not forged (mawdu`).

Source
You can view the following links for more details:
http://www.albalagh.net/qa/hadith_authenticity.shtml
http://engagersindawah.blogspot.com/...aining-to.html
http://www.beautifulislam.net/hadith/weak_hadiths.htm

On a side note, the terms Weak, Sound, Authentic Hadith are classifications used for Ahadeeth. They are not similar to the english usage of the word "weak", "sound", "authentic". Weak Hadith does not mean that the Hadith itself is weak. It means that the chain of narrations through which this hadith has reached us is weak. There is a certain element of doubt in one of the narrators in the chain. No scholar on earth, no matter how learned and great he becomes, can say with 100% assurance that a certain weak hadeeth is not the words of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alaihi waSallam. Maudhu' hadeeth is a different case.

To prevent this thread from going off topic, no more discussion will be allowed on this matter.
Reply

Ali_008
06-30-2009, 05:58 AM
Brother AabiruSabeel, I think you didn't see the videos whose links I posted. I said that some Ahadeeth may not have reached the Imams because I came to know about it from a credible source i.e. Dr. Zakir Naik, those videos being the proof. And if you read"this post", you'll see that the Imams are not being misquoted in the video.

No bro, you are assuming here that we have access to each and every hadeeth after 1400 years and the Ahadeeth that even Imams of the Salaf did not know. In fact, Imam Abu Hanifa (RH) is a Tabi'ee. He has a met and seen a few Sahabah practice. And Imam Shafi'ee (RH), Imam Ahmad (RH), and Imam Malik (RH) are all from the next generation, ie they have seen the Tabi'een. They had access to those Ahadeeth as well that have not reached us. There is a possibility that a few Ahadeeth that were available to those Imams with Sound narrations, might have later become weak in it's chain due to later narrators. And there are Hadeeth books that were written after the time of the Imams. So how can you say the Imams didn't have access to Ahadeeth and we have access to them?
You've made a very great point throughout your post that even daeef Ahadeeth are sayings of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). But Brother my intentions are just to get all of us out of the ambiguity. Let me tell you, I'm a Hanafi to a large extent but the remaining 3 schools keep pecking my head. Its becoming a war day by day about which is the right path. And the criteria for following a Saheeh in preference to a Daeef Hadeeth is another Hadeeth in which Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt. (Tirmidhi)"

Like the example of tomatoes given above by brotherubaid, similarly we accept Saheeh hadeeth in daily matters of life but the most important thing i.e. for Salaah we're ready to compromise with Daeef Ahadeethimsad
Reply

AabiruSabeel
06-30-2009, 06:46 AM
:sl:
Originally Posted by Ali_008
Brother AabiruSabeel, I think you didn't see the videos whose links I posted. I said that some Ahadeeth may not have reached the Imams because I came to know about it from a credible source i.e. Dr. Zakir Naik, those videos being the proof. And if you read"this post", you'll see that the Imams are not being misquoted in the video.



You've made a very great point throughout your post that even daeef Ahadeeth are sayings of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). But Brother my intentions are just to get all of us out of the ambiguity. Let me tell you, I'm a Hanafi to a large extent but the remaining 3 schools keep pecking my head. Its becoming a war day by day about which is the right path. And the criteria for following a Saheeh in preference to a Daeef Hadeeth is another Hadeeth in which Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt. (Tirmidhi)"

Like the example of tomatoes given above by brotherubaid, similarly we accept Saheeh hadeeth in daily matters of life but the most important thing i.e. for Salaah we're ready to compromise with Daeef Ahadeethimsad
I must confess I have not watched the videos that you have linked in the post. It was because I don't take Fatwas from Doctors, I take them from 'Ulama and Muftis. I wonder how you can assume a medical doctor to be a credible source for Religious advice.
I am not discrediting Dr. Zakir Naik here. He has done good work in inter-Religious studies and discussion, but he is not an 'Alim to take his word for Religious matters.

On the topic of authenticity of the Hanafi fiqh, let me relate to you one incident of Maulana Syed Abul Hasan Ali Al-Hasani An-Nadwi (it's not exaggeration, this is how his name was called when his ghaibana Janaza prayer was led in Masjidul Haram, Makkah by Shaikh Subayyal after Isha on 27th night of Ramadhan, 1420 AH, Alhamdulillah, I was present there). He was once invited to Kerala (a State in south India) and there he said in a speech, (I paraphrase it) after all these years of learning and teaching the Qur'an and Hadeeth, I have more reliance on the knowledge of the 'Ulama and Fuqaha who have lived in the first three generations of Islam than my own knowledge. I still can not rely on my own knowledge and say this ruling/view is right and this is wrong. All I can say is that the 'Ulama, and Fuqahaa who have lived in the first three generations, they were among the Khairul Quroon, and I say, therefore, that I rely on their knowledge and accept what they have derived from the Qur'an and Hadeeth as correct.

If you are unaware of how widely accepted Maulana Ali Miyan was, then you can have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syed_Ab...i_Hasani_Nadwi You may also watch a video of him receiving the Dubai International Award for the Holy Quran here: http://www.bhatkallys.com/audio/nadvi/Jaiza_dubai.wmv

Now this was enough off topic discussion. If you want to say anything more off topic, then PM it.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 04:26 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 01:09 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 09:41 PM
  5. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 06:07 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!