/* */

PDA

View Full Version : World Hunger Reaches 1 Billion People Mark

glo
06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
A shocking report:

One in six people in the world — or more than 1 billion — is now hungry, a historic high due largely to the global economic crisis and stubbornly high food prices, a U.N. agency said Friday.

Compared with last year, there are 100 million more people who are hungry, meaning they receive fewer than 1,800 calories a day, the Food and Agriculture Organization said in a report.

Almost all the world's undernourished live in developing countries, where food prices have fallen more slowly than in the richer nations, the report said. Poor countries need more aid and agricultural investment to cope, it said.

"The silent hunger crisis, affecting one-sixth of all of humanity, poses a serious risk for world peace and security," said the agency's director-general, Jacques Diouf.

[...]
Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
06-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Greetings and peace be with you glo;

These statistics are so tragic, and we waste so much food in the west.

In the spirit of prayiing for justice for the poor and oppressed.

Eric

Zafran
06-21-2009, 10:37 PM
salaam

terrible.

ardianto
06-22-2009, 05:49 AM
If you are living in a developing country you will find a sadly fact. Foods are available in everywhere but they have no money for buy foods.
There are many hunger cases in many cities. I said cities, not villages.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
06-22-2009, 06:39 AM
May Allah provide provisions and neccesities.Ameen to all duas.

MSN
06-22-2009, 06:46 AM
^Ameen

glo
06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
May Allah provide provisions and neccesities.Ameen to all duas.
But we should not simply sit back and wait for God's miracle.

I believe God will provide through human beings willing to help others.
We are God's instruments, who have the ability to reduce the suffering in this world ... if only we show willingness and are prepared to work together!
We are the ones who can make this miracle happen - with God's grace and power and our readyness to do the work!

- IqRa -
06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
But we should not simply sit back and wait for God's miracle.

I believe God will provide through human beings willing to help others.
We are God's instruments, who have the ability to reduce the suffering in this world ... if only we show willingness and are prepared to work together!
We are the ones who can make this miracle happen - with God's grace and power and our readyness to do the work!
Agreed. What are these charities set up for? Muslim Hands, Muslim Aid, Islamic Relief (sorry I only know Muslim ones) - we should give them as much as we can! Shame be on us! We sit here lazily on our behind (excuse my language) and stuff our faces, whilst our fellow humans are starving! 1 in 6! SubhanAllah...how pathetic are we? imsad May Allah guide us all to help fellow humans in need, Ameen.

GuestFellow
06-22-2009, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Agreed. What are these charities set up for? Muslim Hands, Muslim Aid, Islamic Relief (sorry I only know Muslim ones) - we should give them as much as we can! Shame be on us! We sit here lazily on our behind (excuse my language) and stuff our faces, whilst our fellow humans are starving! 1 in 6! SubhanAllah...how pathetic are we? imsad May Allah guide us all to help fellow humans in need, Ameen.
It is not that simple. There is poverty in every country, in different shapes and forms, some worse than compared with others. Some people are born in poverty while to others it may happen to them during their life.

To tackle this problem effectively, you need to equip poorer people with skills and provide jobs for them. That is what some of the world charity organizations are doing at the moment. Some of countries have corrupt government who do not help ease this problem. Precautions need to be taken, to ensure people do not become poor again.

I do agree, if everyone contributed some money and all Muslims paid Zakat, poverty would not have increased to this scale. It will require international cooperation to deal with this problem, since sometimes even though money is given, directly it may not be used to help the poor.

TrueStranger
06-27-2009, 12:19 AM
We live in the 21st century and we have one billion people starving.

Güven
06-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Where is all the money going????

TrueStranger
06-27-2009, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Where is all the money going????
"Every six seconds, somewhere in the world a child dies as a result of malnourishment. That's 600 every hour, 14,000 every day and 5 million every year. In the same six seconds the world spends $220,000 on military forces. The world produces enough food to nourish these children and enough income to afford to nourish them, but there own families or states do not have enough income. They die, ultimately, from poverty."

We have decided to kill each other and in the process starve the innocent poor to death.
:w:

The_Prince
06-27-2009, 02:07 AM
this should not surprise people, the establishment, have it in their agenda for such things, they are looking for population control, and to quell the world population, whether it be through starvation, war, eugenics, etc etc, go research it, kissinger himself said they had plans to cut alot of the worlds population through the shortage of food, what ur seeing is just part of a long plan by several rich elite and goverment people.

just go search population control, eugenics, etc. most of this stuff is on record, official, not 'conspiracy theory'

BoredAgnostic
06-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Absolutely horrible....

This may be a slight digression..but whether it is because of misogyny, ignorance, religious adherence, lack of contraceptives, etc it bothers me a great deal that women have children when they are cognizant of the fact that they can NOT provide for these them... It only adds to this evergrowing problem.

BoredAgnostic
06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm curious.....why do some places in the forum have an edit option but not others?

Trumble
06-27-2009, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
just go search population control, eugenics, etc. most of this stuff is on record, official, not 'conspiracy theory'
Actually it's blatant conspiracy tosh, but that hardly matters. The simple, if less exotic, truth is simply that there are too many people on the planet. We are becoming more efficient at providing for them, and there is much more that could be done (particularly if we stopped fighting each other, as TrueStranger implies), but even then it seems unlikely we could keep up with the current rate of increase which is, of course, continually increasing itself.

The simple fact is that, were the population level first stabilized and then slowly reduced (which requires no starvation, eugenics, or anything other than reasonable argument, access to birth control and a level social provision necessary to prevent children being conceived as economic assets rather than as persons) the world would be a better and happier place for everyone, and indeed everything, living on it.

egyptballer
06-27-2009, 03:44 AM
To see this statistic and see how many people waste food is just sad.This should make us think twice before wasting food.

Eric H
06-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Greetings and peace be with you BoredAgnostic;

it bothers me a great deal that women have children when they are cognizant of the fact that they can NOT provide for these them...
We blame them, but it is really our fault, we have to own the problem in the rich consumer world.

We have a minimum wage in the UK of around £5 per hour, even cleaners and waiters in coffee shops get this. Plantation owners in the third world are paid so little, and cannot even pay their workers two dollars for a twelve hour day.

If I paid another 50p for a jar of coffee, they might earn a decent wage, but we are greedy.

Kenco advertises on the television that they fund community projects like schools for their coffee growers. If you and me paid a fair price in the first place, they wouldn’t need charity.

So when you blame poor women for having children they can’t afford, remember mine and your part of the blame.

One in four girls in the third world are raped by the age of 16, poverty takes away all rights. Women are the ones who walk miles to fetch water, evil people know this, and women are often raped as a price to get water.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

Eric H
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

Gold stabilises world currencies, we look on gold as a luxury item, but be disturbed, watch this video called Gold for bread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubJp...ature=featured

In the spirit of praying to a just and merciful God

Eric

HopeFul
06-29-2009, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you glo;

These statistics are so tragic, and we waste so much food in the west.

In the spirit of prayiing for justice for the poor and oppressed.

Eric
This is sickening. I ahve found out that 17 percent of the worlds population ( the west) uses more than 75 percent of he worlds resources, in general.

The irony is coco beans countries are poor, which make luxury chocolates and drinks for the rich countries, idia is poor from where virtually everything goes to the west, alot of arab countries are poor themselves e.g algeria the people are poor and the oil goes to heat the rich peoples radiators, it is disgusting how we have all these luxuries including myself and other people are dyng

i suppose I ahve grown immune to this irony as well. it may bother me immensely for sme time and then Ill just forget it and pretend nothing is wrong. Give some charity once a whiea nd clean my conscience of any guilt, how convenient.

Eric H
06-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Greetings and peace be with you HopeFul; thanks for mentioning coco.

The irony is coco beans countries are poor, which make luxury chocolates and drinks for the rich countries,
Chocolate is a bit of an indulgence, but did you know that a large percentage of coco is grown using child slave labour

http://www.stopthetraffik.org/getInv...chocolate.aspx

Check the following link to find brands of chocolate that guarantee they do not use slave labour.

http://www.stopthetraffik.org/getInv...ateguides.aspx

Eric

Eric H
06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Greetings and peace be with you all
In the 1970’s the cheapest 20 inch colour tv cost £200, allowing for inflation it should cost around £500 to £600, but you can pick them up for around a £100.

Thanks to child slave labour in places like the copper mines in the Democratic Republic of Congo, we can buy our electrical goods dirt cheap

To commemorate World Day Against Child Labour, BBC News has spent a day with child miners in the Democratic Republic of Congo, who work for about one dollar per day. At Ruashi mine, in the Eastern province of Katanga, almost 800 children dig for copper and cobalt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/5071172.stm
The western consumer world really does exploit the poor and oppressed, and that includes me and you.

Eric

Eric H
07-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

Debt

For every £1 given in aid, £9 is taken back in debt repayments. Debt is a major problem. In the 1960s and 1970s, Developing Countries took out loans from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and rich countries. The debts have to be paid back with interest, and countries often end up owing far more than they can afford to pay back. The IMF then imposes “Structural Adjustment Programmes”, which forces the country to cut down on healthcare and education, so they can pay the debt.

Africa’s interest repayments cost four times as much as is spent on health care.

In Zambia, between 1990 and 1993, debt repayments cost 34 times as much as the country was able to spend on primary school education – education spending fell by more than 80%.

Trade

Rich Developed Countries buy goods such as sugar, cotton and coffee from the poor South. However, poor countries receive low prices because people in the North want cheap groceries. This keeps people in poverty.

Education and child labour

250 million+ children between 5 and 14 work (often dangerously) in factories, fields, and on the streets. In the poorest countries, most adults cannot read or write. Most children never get a secondary education because they work to bring in money for the family. Most of these are girls.

Lack of education brings problems such as:
• People can not change their lives
• Fewer employment opportunities
• It makes receiving health education much more difficult.

Rich countries need education, too. They do not deliberately buy goods from companies that cheat the poor - they simply do not know what is going on.
http://www.rsrevision.com/GCSE/short...rty/causes.htm

Eric

Bittersteel
07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
question:Has bio fuel got to do anything with the food crisis?

Eric H
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Greetings and peace be with you BoredAgnostic;
This may be a slight digression..but whether it is because of misogyny, ignorance, religious adherence, lack of contraceptives, etc
Is religion a help or a hindrance, in matters of world poverty and why?

Eric

- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Wake up people! Donate to charity inshaAllaah... and that will be better for you indeed...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.