/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Toxic "friends"

AlbanianMuslim
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I havent had the most pleasant morning.

I woke up today and i was cleaning as well as chatting with relatives overseas, my status was "cleaning the house, and aggravated because the neighbors let their dog loose in our yard..time to clean that mess up too!!"

A girl i know, wrote on the status "did you ever stop to think that maybe there is something wrong with YOU and not everyone else? hehehehe"
she says things like this often, she is very passive aggressive
i didnt find it very funny so i delete the status altogether

she messaged me confronting me, i told her i dont tolerate being spoken to like that when i have done nothing to provoke the person
she told me im a "goody two shoes" and that i should grow up
etc etc..i remained calm, she kept yelling and cursing
eventually she cooled down and walked away

needless to say, she has now banded together with another girl i thought was a good friend and they are saying things and doing things to try and upset me
i try not to let it get to me, but im only human and these things hurt me imsad
im not sure how to handle this...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
06-21-2009, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
she messaged me confronting me, i told her i dont tolerate being spoken to like that when i have done nothing to provoke the person
she told me im a "goody two shoes" and that i should grow up
etc etc..i remained calm, she kept yelling and cursing
eventually she cooled down and walked away
This thing... It happened online, right?

im not sure how to handle this...
The fact that you managed to stay calm means it's your win. What sort of relationship do you have with her? Is she a friend? How well do you know her?

AlbanianMuslim
06-22-2009, 12:01 AM
yes online.

i used to be VERY good friends with one of the girls. and somewhat good friends with the other.
recently though in the past few months, they were being rude and not accepting of my level of practice in islam, they found issue with me not going to parties and not drinking etc and not dressing the way they dress
they would say things like "you dress like an old woman"

so i began to distance myself from them and am no longer close with either of them. i think that todays issue stemmed from theyre realization that i have distanced myself from them as well as a mixture of the religion issue.

they are non practicing muslims, although im not sure if they can even be called muslims

roohani.doctor
06-22-2009, 01:20 AM
aww you were the better one by far in this situation. I think its really nice that you are practicing and that you are strong enough to resist temptation esp from these old (ex)friends..They are only acting like that cuz they dont understand Islam. The "old woman" phrase is getting really old...its always used when pple dont really see YOU but instead define you by your dress code...
Anyhoo, *thumbs up to you* for taking the upper hand. Just keep practicing and maybe one day these friends might also change and realise wut they are doing is wrong.
The best would be to let it be. You cant change them right now cuz they are too set in their ways. Just surround yourself with real friends who will be there for you and who UNDERSTAND you. Best of luck :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al Qalam
06-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Perhaps rather than being upset with them, you can remember them in your prayers to Allah. Hopefully he has not sealed their hearts, and that they may some day love Allah as much as you do, but for the time being pity them. They are lost right now, and you are "found." You have the advantage no matter what they say, and if they were truly your friends, they would be much more accepting of your faith. Let go and let Allah.

- IqRa -
06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
No one is perfect.

Rebel
06-22-2009, 10:03 AM
she says things like this often
Well, if you can't cope with it, remove her from your contact list :><:...

paradise88
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Firstly apologies if i am repeating things that have been said by other people.
This kinda thing happens alot and its true were humans we get hurt. Its easier said than done but try and avoid people like this they do not seem like good friends. Be carefull of the friends you chose cos they influence on what we become like.

You sound like a sweet girl just ignore them or confront them and say that it upsets you and like someone just said earlier remember them in ur prayers and pray that u become stronger.

I've been trying to change and the more i get in to islam and learn things these little problems become easy to solve you start thinking differently. Hope this helps a little..

IslamicRevival
06-22-2009, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
yes online.

i used to be VERY good friends with one of the girls. and somewhat good friends with the other.
recently though in the past few months, they were being rude and not accepting of my level of practice in islam, they found issue with me not going to parties and not drinking etc and not dressing the way they dress
they would say things like "you dress like an old woman"

so i began to distance myself from them and am no longer close with either of them. i think that todays issue stemmed from theyre realization that i have distanced myself from them as well as a mixture of the religion issue.

they are non practicing muslims, although im not sure if they can even be called muslims
Salaam, I know how you feel as i have been in a similar situation

If someone tries to change the way you are and do things which are unislamic then the best thing to do is cut ties with them completely before they drag you down to their level

From experience these kind of situations can be heartbreaking and soul destroying, Having friends who are a bad influence can ultimately ruin a person, As i unfortunately came to know. Its not a nice thing to go through and to this day I'm suffering

Don't be sad or worry about these kind of things. Forget the lot of them and move on

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.