/* */

PDA

View Full Version : This news event is very old, but I'm curious

shotaiken
06-22-2009, 03:49 AM
and I wanted to get some input on this from a mixture of people from all walks of life, with various beliefs. In my area, most people are overwhelmingly Christian... Don't get me wrong, I do agree with them what this man did was HORRID. I think he's a monster. He just blew away a CHILD. Yet, he only got 5 years. Her precious life was stolen from her, by him no less, and all he got was five years, like that was some sort of equal punishment???

The problem I'm having is that people here seem to think that only Christians have a monopoly on morality, but that just isn't so! They meet me, and they assume right off the bat that because I'm an atheist, I must be okay with the killing of children, and the abuse of children. :( They tell me that it's a Christian trait to not want children harmed, as if all over religions, and atheists, are out harming kids. Well, this very man himself was a Christian!

Here's a link to the petition about it, which explains the story: http://www.petitiononline.com/VO372138/petition.html

(He's already out of prison, so the petition is no good. I'm just wanting to see the views of others.)

I felt he should have gotten the death penalty, but then I was told I wasn't a good liberal because of that view. I was told that I should have "forgiven" him... Other atheists jabbered the "rehabilitation" thing at me... However, I feel that by committing murder he basically was committing suicide. What say you? I'm curious about how people of various religions can have differing views on this, so feel free to share your belief system as I did.

Also, sorry if I offended anyone with my pro-death penalty stance. On the bright side, I only support it in the situations where we actually have 100% evidence someone is guilty, and dangerous. I don't like the idea of someone who is possibly innocent being killed.

Now I'm sorry for rambling. I'm sleepy as can be, so I'm going to drag myself away and crash on the nearby bed. Night-o. imsad

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.