/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Our Du’as Go "Unanswered"

- IqRa -
06-23-2009, 03:30 PM

:salamext:

Why Our Du’as Go "Unanswered"

Extracted from the writings of Hazrat Maulana Yusuf Ludhianwi (rahimahullah)

A common perception and thought that generally passes a Muslims mind - Why are our du’as so ineffective? Is there a deficiency in the manner that we ask? Why is it that certain people who live very carefree lives, openly violate the Shariah and propagate unislamic values seem to live very comfortably? They seem to be blessed with everything that they ask for and have no real cry or pressing need. On the other hand, there are some who are particular with their Deen, regular with their salaah and conduct themselves in a pious an righteous manner, yet they seem to be plagued by worries and difficulties. This situation seems to be very perplexing to many and it is appropriate that we examine the true nature and purpose of du’a and the various benefits that Allah has placed in this great ibadah (act of virtue).

Firstly, the apparent acceptance of a person's du’a is by no means any proof that this person is accepted or beloved by Allah. Similarly, the apparent non-acceptance of a person's du’a is no indication of a person's rejection or non-acceptance by Allah. Instead, the matter can very much be the opposite, whereby at imes a person who is truly beloved and accepted in the eyes of Allah seems to have his du’as apparently rejected all the time. On the other hand, a person who maybe despised in the sight of Allah finds his du’as being promptly and regularly accepted.

Sheikh Tajuddeen Ibn Ata Iskandari (rahimahullah) has recorded a Hadith in his book; the effective meaning of which is, a certain person lifts his hand in du’a, Allah instructs the angels to fulfil his need immediately, because I dislike him raising his hand in du’a. Another person raises his hand in du’a, Allah instructs the angels to procrastinate in fulfilling his need, because him raising his hands before me is beloved to me and I look forward to his pleading and requests.

Secondly, for a person to be given the ability to make du’a is a great blessing in itself. A person who raises his hand in du’a before Allah Ta'ala should never be concerned whether the du’a will be accepted or not. A person should have complete conviction that whatever du’a is made will definitely be accepted in the court of Allah. It is mentioned in a Hadith recorded by Abu Dawood, Tirmizi, Ibn Majah and Mustadrak Haakim that, Allah is extremely kind, One who gives without asking, Allah is extremely modest and shy, when His servants spread their hands before Him, He feels shy to refuse or reject their requests.

Thirdly, it is a failure and deficiency on our path that, if we receive exactly that which we ask Allah for, then we consider our du’a to be accepted. If we do not acquire exactly what we ask for, then we consider our du’a unaccepted. In reality, there are various ways in which a du’a can be considered accepted. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said, when a servant makes du’a to Allah, then through the barkat and blessing of this du’a Allah Ta'ala certainly grants him one of three things, either that he gets exactly what he requested for, or his du’a is reserved for a bounty and reward which will manifest in the hereafter, or a calamity is removed from his path.

Either way, we find that a person's du’a is certainly heard and answered; however the outward appearance of its acceptance may differ. It is therefore our bounding duty to continue begging from Allah for our needs with firm conviction that Allah will favour a person with His mercy. To become despondent and neglectful over du’a not being accepted is indicative of our naivety and short-sightedness.

It has been recorded in yet another Hadith, that a person should not become hasty and restless regarding acceptance of his du’a. It was asked that what be meant by hastiness? The reply was, a person believes that after making fervent du’a, there is no response; therefore I might as well leave out making du’a. In this way he stops asking from Allah.

Source: http://www.beautifulislam.net/duas/duas_unanswered.htm

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
:bump:

aadil77
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
JazakhAllah, I needed this

Uthman
06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
JazakAllah Khayr! This is a truly excellent article! I also highly recommend Sheikh Yasir Qadhi's excellent book Dua:The Weapon of the Believer.
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Allah is extremely kind, One who gives without asking, Allah is extremely modest and shy, when His servants spread their hands before Him, He feels shy to refuse or reject their requests.
Allaahu Akbar! :cry:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Greetings and peace be with youT.I.A; thanks for posting

I believe that God wants each and every one of us to achieve eternal salvation, and he answers prayers with this in mind.

When I pray to pass a driving test, how will that help me gain salvation if I pass?

If I have cancer and pray for a cure, how will that help me gain salvation if I live another thirty years?

I pray for the things I think I want, and God answers my prayer in a way that helps me find salvation.

There is a joke about prayers, which I think has some truth.

A man is driving around for an hour looking for a place to park his car, in desperation he prays to God. If you find me a place to park, I will stop going to the pub on Sunday and go to church every week. The man drives round the corner and there is a parking place, and he says to God, ignore my prayer, I have just found somewhere to park.

In the spirit of praying to a just and merciful God

Eric

- IqRa -
06-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Lol Eric, that was amusing! Indeed there is wisdom behind God not answering our prayers the way we want, delaying them, or removing danger from our path. But we know not.

~Raindrop~
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
salaam
Jazakallah for posting- id been looking for this for some time now. Mufti Yousuf Shaheed is one of my all-time favourite personalities. Ive had close contact with his family and his tarbiyyah shines through. Its great that his works are being spread through different means and will continue to do so till Qiyaamah inshallah.
wassalaam

ayyuba
06-29-2009, 01:49 PM
in general, about how when you are making a du'a it is highly recommended that you do so in the following manner:

".....when one of you prays, he should begin with praise of Allah and then pray on the Prophet and then make whatever supplication he wishes"

( part of a hadith)

" Umar ibn al khattab said, supplication and prayer are suspended between heaven and earth and none of it rises to Allah until you pray on the prophet

- IqRa -
06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Please look at the link in my signature, brother, about Etiquette and Adaab of Du'a. It explains all.

Muhseen
06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
May Allah bless. I find the thread very informative and educative.

'Abd-al Hakim
06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
:sl:

A very educative thread indeed. Brother Eric that is true and I am confessing I did this in the past. May Allah forgive us of our sins and allow us to enter Jannah with ease insh'Allah,Ameen.

:w:

- IqRa -
07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Ameen brother.

czgibson
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Greetings,

The author of the article seems to want to add a vaguely scientific sheen to their words:

format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Either way, we find that a person's du’a is certainly heard and answered; however the outward appearance of its acceptance may differ.
How exactly do "we find" this?

The answer to the question of why duas go unanswered is rather more obvious than anything the article suggests.

Peace

- IqRa -
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
The author of the article is making a main point that the dua's we make do NOT go unanswered, therefore the main article title is ironic. [am not sure thats the right word, but you know what I mean]

- IqRa -
09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
:bump:....

IbnAbdulHakim
09-03-2009, 05:22 PM
sis its been a long time since i read an article so inspiring

thank you

jazakIllaah khair

Assalamu Alaikum

- IqRa -
09-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Wa Iyaak =)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.