/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Best English translations?

ragdollcat1982
06-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I have 6 copies of the Quran translated into english. Two of these are Yusuf Alis translations and others Im not sure who translated them. The only one I have that I can follow is The Glorious Quran that has the commentary as one goes, but I still get lost and confused when I try to read it. What is the best easy to read easy to follow English translation of the Quran?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
06-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I've never come upon a consensus of which translation is the "best." There are some where the translators obviously had an agenda, and are biased, but if the translator is sincere, then there will be something good in the translation.

For me, the "best" translations depends on what I intend to do with my reading. If I'm studying for meaning, then I'll stack half a dozen on the table, select a short passage to read, read that passage in each translation and then ponder on the meaning. Which Qur'ans I use depends on my mood at the time and it varies, since I own close to 20 now (yes, I'm a bit obsessive. It's my hobby, lol). Usually, this is what I study:

Thomas Cleary - a very different translation. Translations usually follow the same pattern, same word choice. Cleary conciously chose different words.

Muhammad Asad - uses the KJV-esque old english. I read this translation for his extensive footnotes, which draw on a wide variety of classical tafsir, commentary.

Majid Fahkry - simple english, straightforward.

Ali Unal - I just recently picked this one up and haven't read it all, but so far it seems promising. Easy to read, plus tons and tons of footnotes.

If I'm simply reading to read, I pick up the translation by the Bewleys. The english is very readable and very understandable. Aisha Bewley is a very competent translator and has translated a bunch of classical arabic works into english.

rk9414
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
The Abdel Haleem Translation seems good:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16720750/Q...em-Translation

Here's a collection of a few translations/tafsirs

http://www.scribd.com/people/documen...4/folder/99217

brotherubaid
06-24-2009, 06:27 AM
muhsin khan n al hilali translatiohn is good, But the one i really like is the one they had in Taraweeh last year on saudi channel from Makah , that was pretty good , with a little tiny small corrections it ould make a great translation. but yeah since we cant get that i think the dar us salam Muhsin khan n hilali is pretty good. I Really want that saudi makkah channel translatuion that they had with the taraweeh last year.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rpwelton
06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I have 6 copies of the Quran translated into english. Two of these are Yusuf Alis translations and others Im not sure who translated them. The only one I have that I can follow is The Glorious Quran that has the commentary as one goes, but I still get lost and confused when I try to read it. What is the best easy to read easy to follow English translation of the Quran?
If you have six translations and you're not able to understand it, perhaps you are having an issue with the style of the Qur'an itself.

There are some people (mostly Christians) who get frustrated because the Qur'an is not written in a narrative format (like the Bible is), but rather in such a way that it engages the reader and causes him or her to ponder, question, and come to conclusions.

It jumps from verse to verse, sometimes talking about what appears to be entirely different subjects on the surface, but deep down there are many connections.

I'm not sure if this is indeed the problem you are having, but for the most part all of the prominent modern translations are more or less the same, and barring any kind of major translation errors, it generally is up to personal preference. Some do a better job at translating the meaning of certain verses than others, but they all fall short in being able to convey the true Arabic.

That said, any translation you read is going to have that same style and structure.

If you think about it, a Book from God shouldn't read like any other book, right?

imen1984
07-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Crescent Quran Corpus.
This is a word for word Quaran translation with grammer, search ,dictionary and transliteration for english speakers, its is 100% accurate.
http://quran.uk.net/

imen1984
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
salem all,
I have came across a great site.
Crescent Quran Corpus.
This is a word for word translation of the quran, with grammer, morphology, seacrh, dictionary and english transliteration. I hope this will be a help to brothers and sisters in islam.

The Crescent Quran Corpus - Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.