/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What the.....? Help please

crayon
06-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I logged into my email today to find an unusual amount of new messages. When I checked them, a bunch of them were from the postmaster saying some messages had failed to send. They weren't any messages I had sent. I also had this little notification that my 'vacation reply' is still on; I've never turned it on.

So basically, my email was sending out loads of spam to all of my contacts, and people I don't know as well. This is the message that was being sent

Hey ,friend
I find a site to sell electronic products with very good price. Laptop ,iPhone even Motorcycle are very popular .their products are original quality with very low price as wholesale business supplier.They also can do retail business for end user now. maybe it is fit for your business . if you like you can contact them : www.ele-stores.com
E-mail: elestores@188.com
Msn : ele_stores@hotmail.com
What on earth?
What should I do now? Change my password?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
:sl:
Did you sign up to any ele (the company) news letters? I've received crap like this from members who have; those members do NOT send the email; the company does...on ''behalf'' of its members...

Check if you are a member of that site; if so go into the user/account options - should be some sort of check boxes or something to disable 'vacation reply'.

crayon
06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I've never even seen that site before.

I disabled vacation reply on my email, but what's to say they won't enable it right back? How did they do this in the first place?

Gah, they sent it to all my uni contacts as well, admissions and student accounts and all that. Ugh.

Layla454
06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Try and list it as 'junk' email

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ayesha309
06-24-2009, 02:39 PM
that happened to my dad too, everyone on his contact got a spam email from him which he had never sent. First I urge you to send everyone on your contact an email saying to ignore the previous email, delete it. and perhaps, just change your password. I don't think there is too much you can do.

crayon
06-24-2009, 07:29 PM
^Yup, already sent everyone an apology and explanation.. Guess I'll just change the password now.
Jazakum Allah khair, all of you.:)

Cabdullahi
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
i hope you're not one of those people who set their password to their fav tv shows and then complain why did i get hacked ..why me
:heated:
you have to set it to something like this

QoQxOq19929919AQioiiioo9090KBwdfgatq

in other words make it strong so it doesnt get bypassed

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Get Gmail!!

crayon
06-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Lol no, I hardly ever put my email up unless it's really needed, and even then I have an account just for spam.

Yeah, that's a great password... I can barely remember my uni account password which is somewhat like that, only like 6 characters long...:><:

'Abd al Rahman- I have a gmail account, I find it annoying for some reason... I love how much space it has, though.

Banu_Hashim
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Gmail ftw!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
'Abd al Rahman- I have a gmail account, I find it annoying for some reason... I love how much space it has, though.
Oh man, don't get me started! Gmail has to be the most awesome email provider out there..! Plus it has these really awesome skins too!

Banu_Hashim
06-24-2009, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Rahman
Oh man, don't get me started! Gmail has to be the most awesome email provider out there..! Plus it has these really awesome skins too!
Exactly, what more could you want!? Atm I've got this cool under water skin...

crayon
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Haha. Okay, I've logged into it now after being reminded of it- can't even remember the last time I checked it. I'm using 1% of my 7340 MB. Wow.

Question- How do I make a folder? Can't seem to find a button that says that..

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Haha. Okay, I've logged into it now after being reminded of it- can't even remember the last time I checked it. I'm using 1% of my 7340 MB. Wow.

Folders are 20th century. Now it's labels :shade:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...&answer=118708

Plus, you can make all your other email accounts' emails come to Gmail, get automatically sorted, labeled, colored, and placed in the place you want to view at your own convenience.

Banu_Hashim
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Not sure about 'folders' as such, but you can create labels, and you can label your emails. Those labels appear on the left hand side, and when you click on one, all the emails with that particular label appear.

There should be a label tab at the top.

EDIT: Ach ^^... Abd-al Rahman beat me to it!

crayon
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Not sure about 'folders' as such, but you can create labels, and you can label your emails. Those labels appear on the left hand side, and when you click on one, all the emails with that particular label appear.

There should be a label tab at the top.

EDIT: Ach ^^... Abd-al Rahman beat me to it!
Folders are 20th century. Now it's labels :shade:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...&answer=118708

Plus, you can make all your other email accounts' emails come to Gmail, get automatically sorted, labeled, colored, and placed in the place you want to view at your own convenience.
Aha. I see. I like. Very much.

I've made it so my the emails from my hotmail accounts go to gmail- are there any downsides to this? Or is it exactly the same had I been using hotmail? It's so nice having everything in just one account.

I think I have just been converted to gmail-ism. I'm so easily swayed.:><:

So are there any other cool features gmail has??

Oh, and jazakum Allah khair!

Banu_Hashim
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
No exactly the same. You can even sync your gmail with your hotmail, so you send an email from your gmail address (default) or hotmail address, using just your gmail account. You can do that with multiple emails.

And there's lots of cool features! You just go to their lab feature place (I'll find a link for you inshallah) and you can add the different features they develop all the time.

EDIT: Ah!... If you go to "Settings"... then click on the "labs" tab... you can find lots of cool stuff..:)

Welcome to the club. :shade:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-24-2009, 09:16 PM

Google should pay me :ermm:

So are there any other cool features gmail has??
http://www.google.com/mail/help/tips...campaign=en-US

aadil77
06-24-2009, 09:16 PM
yh had the same problem with loads of these postmaster messages coming up every day, so hotmail adivsed me to change my password and that ended it straight away

crayon
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Google should pay me :ermm:
:ermm:

Great links, thanks you guys!

Yanal
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
:salamext:
Bismillahair Rahmaan Niraheem
I see your account is hacked.You should change your password and refrain from giving your email out and junk all mails you do not wish to get. Is gmail good?Here is what I use on hotmail:Get a few emails each day and reply. That is all I do,in that matter is gmail better then hotmail?

Walakum Asalam Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh

crayon
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Oh, just another quick question- Is there any way I can transfer the old emails from my hotmail account to my gmail one?

Banu_Hashim
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I wasn't sure, so I did a quick goggle search:

http://www.consumingexperience.com/2...new-gmail.html

I hope it helps. I haven't read it myself yet:X

crayon
06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Ahh yeah brother Banu, think zAk's right, that's just from gmail to gmail.. Ah well, thanks anyway.

~Raynn~
06-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I think I was able to transfer mail from my hotmail account...if you go to settings and select the 'Accounts' tab, then next to 'Get mail from other accounts', click on "Add a mail account you own" (here - I guess hotmail only recently started supporting POP3 for free accounts). You can transfer mail from up to 5 different accounts, but I remember it took aaages for everything to come over, lol...

crayon
06-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Gmail related question:

So I sent an email to X. And I also sent an email to person Y. Now there's this 'conversation' between me, X, and Y. Eh? I replied to each on their own. Did either one get the other's reply, because this is a 'convo'? I've tried seperating them using labels, but they're connected for some reason..

Any thoughts?

'Abd-al Hakim
06-29-2009, 09:31 PM

If you foward a PM here it does not show the reply Y gave. It might be the similar case?

:w:

crayon
06-29-2009, 09:34 PM
But I didn't forward anything- they were 2 different emails with 2 different replies, yet they're somehow connected...?

'Abd-al Hakim
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Did you email them after each other?

:w:

Banu_Hashim
06-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Gmail related question:

So I sent an email to X. And I also sent an email to person Y. Now there's this 'conversation' between me, X, and Y. Eh? I replied to each on their own. Did either one get the other's reply, because this is a 'convo'? I've tried seperating them using labels, but they're connected for some reason..

Any thoughts?
Is it the same email you sent to person X and Y. Gmail groups similar emails together in a kind of tab fashion where on is on top of the other, even if you send them separately. It also groups them together when you reply to each other. Just for convenience. Is this what you mean by 'conversation' ? The grouping ?

crayon
06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Nope, it's 2 different emails.. I guess they got grouped then. I was kind of worried my replies were sent to both of them, but then I checked in the sent messages folder and it was only sent to whomever it was meant to be sent to. So is there no way I can separate them? To put them in 2 different labels?

edit- Ahhh wait. Never mind, I think I got it. It was actually each of their replies to an email I sent them both. D'oih. Thanks anyway, lol.

math
06-30-2009, 02:30 AM
I logged into my email today to find an unusual amount of new messages. When I checked them, a bunch of them were from the postmaster saying some messages had failed to send. They weren't any messages I had sent. I also had this little notification that my 'vacation reply' is still on; I've never turned it on.
Basically it is possible to send e-mail out with any possible sender address without having to know the password of this sender. Compare it to regular mail: you can put mail in the postbox with a sender address on it which is not your own.
This is the trick spammers use: they send a large amount of e-mails with a random sender address.

So if you receive bounced from postmaster about mail sent to random people and not to your contacts, your account has probably not been hacked. Someone is just writing your e-mailaddress as sender address on the e-mails they send. There is in fact not much you can do about this.

If the e-mail is send to all of your contacts though, this means the spammer must have access to your contact list. In this case (and only in this case), run a virus scan over your hard disk an change your password.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!