/* */

PDA

View Full Version : BBC Caught In Mass Public Deception With Iran Propaganda

Cabdullahi
06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
BBC Caught In Mass Public Deception With Iran Propaganda

The BBC has again been caught engaging in mass public deception by using photographs of pro-Ahmadinejad rallies in Iran and claiming they represent anti-government protests in favor of Hossein Mousavi.

An image used by the L.A. Times on the front page of its website Tuesday showed Iranian President Ahmadinejad waving to a crowd of supporters at a public event.

In a story covering the election protests yesterday, the BBC News website used a closer shot of the same scene, but with Ahmadinejad cut out of the frame. The caption under the photograph read, ‘Supporters of Mir Hossein Mousavi again defied a ban on protests’.

The BBC photograph is clearly a similar shot of the same pro-Ahmadinejad rally featured in the L.A. Times image, yet the caption erroneously claims it represents anti-Ahmadinejad protesters.

BBC'S IMAGE

“Well I guess it sure was a popular fictional rally for Mousavi, because I later noticed while browsing the news sites a familiar picture on the BBC’s lead Iran story - it shows the same crowd, zoomed in to cut out Ahmadinejad,” a reader told the WhatReallyHappened website. “It is clearly the same protest as in the background are the same tree and odd circular building. However, the BBC managed to outdo the LA times in quality reporting - their actual comment under the photo from the huge PRO-Ahmadinejad rally reads ‘Supporters of Mir Hossein Mousavi again defied a ban on protests’ - a blatant lie and deliberately misleading description of what is actually occurring in Iran!”

As soon as the truth about the misrepresented images surfaced on the WhatReallyHappened website yesterday, the BBC changed the photo caption on their original article.

This is not the first time the BBC has been caught red-handed using crude image and video framing techniques for the purposes of political propaganda.

During the fall of Baghdad in April 2003, the BBC and other mainstream news outlets broadcast closely framed footage of the “mass uprising” during which Iraqis, aided by U.S. troops, toppled the Saddam Hussein statue in Fardus Square.

The closely framed footage was used to imply that hundreds or thousands of Iraqis were involved in a Berlin Wall-style “historic” liberation, yet when wide angle shots were later published on the Internet, footage that was never broadcast on live television, the reality of the “mass uprising” became clear. The crowd around the statue was sparse and consisted mostly of U.S. troops and journalists. The BBC later had to admit that only “dozens” of Iraqis had participated in toppling the statue. The entire scene was a manufactured farce yet the propaganda technique of blocking wide-angle shots from being broadcast convinced the world that the event represented a triumphant and historic mass popular uprising on behalf of the Iraqi people.

Whatever your views on the legitimacy of Ahmadinejad and the accuracy of the Iranian election results, the fact that the Anglo-American establishment and its media organs are exploiting and fanning the flames of chaos in Iran to provoke further instability is unquestionable.

Indeed, the U.S. State Department, which routinely demonizes the Internet as a tool of extremists and terrorists when it is used to criticize U.S. foreign policy, took the unprecedented step today of requesting that Twitter.com “delay planned maintenance work so that Iranian protesters can continue to use it to post images and reports of unrest,” according to a London Times report.

http://www.rys2sense.com/anti-neocon...p?f=11&t=18968

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
06-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Bump!

Zone Maker
06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
It seems like other Arab countries Iran will become nothing more than a puppet in the hands of america.
:w:

GuestFellow
06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh dear BBC got busted. : )

At least they corrected the mistake.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
who is actually surprised by this? everyone with a brain knows that the western media are actively enaged in deceptive propaganda against Iran.

GuestFellow
06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
who is actually surprised by this? everyone with a brain knows that the western media are actively enaged in deceptive propaganda against Iran.
More specifically towards President Ahmadinejad.

Zafran
06-25-2009, 01:41 PM
not realy suprised - Its pity that the BBC lives on the tax payers money.

Uthman
06-25-2009, 02:20 PM
:sl:

Why would the BBC do this? What would they stand to gain? I thought they were independent from the government.

Zafran
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān

Why would the BBC do this? What would they stand to gain? I thought they were independent from the government.

Iran banned a few of there journalist - maybe they wanted to just get back at them. I'm sure this isnt the first time of the BBC making mistakes.

MSN
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Iran banned a few of there journalist - maybe they wanted to just get back at them. I'm sure this isnt the first time of the BBC making mistakes.
They're just looking for someone to hold responsible for the recent events

GuestFellow
06-25-2009, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MSN
They're just looking for someone to hold responsible for the recent events
By distorting sources to portray their political agenda?

MSN
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
By distorting sources to portray their political agenda?
What do you mean by portray?

GuestFellow
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
What do you mean by portray?
Ah portray means: depict something or somebody visually/verbally.

It was more of a rhetorical question.

MSN
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Ah portray means: depict something or somebody visually/verbally.

It was more of a rhetorical question.
Ok now i know why i didn't understand you it was my bad.I should've paid more attention to the first post.srry:-[

GuestFellow
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Ok now i know why i didn't understand you it was my bad.I should've paid more attention to the first post.srry:-[
No need to say sorry. It's fine. I just meant, BBC should not distort media to blame someone for the events that have taken place in Iran.

Cabdullahi
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
bump

czgibson
06-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Greetings,

Why would the BBC do this? What would they stand to gain?
Exactly. This looks more like an honest mistake than anything else.

Peace

Abdul Fattah
06-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Like in, they honestly misunderstood what those hundreds of people were marching for? Perhaps they sent a reporter that doesn't speak the local languages? :p

GuestFellow
06-25-2009, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
BBC had a long history of presenting news impartially and accurately. They will at some point make accidental mistakes. It is only normal.

They even fixed those mistakes.

Trumble
06-25-2009, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Like in, they honestly misunderstood what those hundreds of people were marching for? Perhaps they sent a reporter that doesn't speak the local languages? :p
The 'reporter' had nothing to do with the photo. It may have escaped your attention that with the UK now the new official fountain of all that is evil the great democracy that is Iran won't even let them out of the office to report any more.

They needed a photo (in London) for the story, and some junior hack (who probably couldn't even tell Ahmaninejad from Mousavi) found one on the basis of the original headline. Bad call as it clearly distracts attention from where it should be, but that's all. You could find a thousand similar instances if you hunted for them.

czgibson
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
The 'reporter' had nothing to do with the photo. It may have escaped your attention that with the UK now the new official fountain of all that is evil the great democracy that is Iran won't even let them out of the office to report any more.
Why let a fact like this stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory...

+o(

Peace

The_Prince
06-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Greetings,

Peace
lol how is this an honest mistake???

yesssssssssssss, let us take this pic, cut ahmed out, and then say its opposition protest, oopppppppppppppppssssssss sorry mistake.

The_Prince
06-26-2009, 12:18 AM
we should find a way of forwarding this info to the Iranian government.

KAding
06-26-2009, 02:03 AM

yesssssssssssss, let us take this pic, cut ahmed out, and then say its opposition protest, oopppppppppppppppssssssss sorry mistake.
It's not the same photo. There was no "cutting out Ahmedinejad" involved.

Was that just an honest mistake of you or are you engaging in public deception? :p :D.

The_Prince
06-26-2009, 02:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
It's not the same photo. There was no "cutting out Ahmedinejad" involved.

Was that just an honest mistake of you or are you engaging in public deception? :p :D.
its not the same photo? have you bothered looking at the pics? if you did i suggest some eye glasses.

The_Prince
06-26-2009, 02:18 AM
it is the same photo, only more zoomed in, and ahmed cut out, why are some of you guys lying to yourselves?????

The_Prince
06-26-2009, 02:21 AM
also ppl keep saying this is an accident, small misunderstanding, really? could any of you explain that for us. here we have 2 same pics, one obviously altered from the original, and then given a deceptive meaning behind it, so plz do tell us how this 'accident' happened.

KAding
06-26-2009, 02:37 AM
its not the same photo? have you bothered looking at the pics? if you did i suggest some eye glasses.

it is the same photo, only more zoomed in, and ahmed cut out, why are some of you guys lying to yourselves?????
It isn't the same photo. Just look at the blinds in the windows on the big white building.

Why are you lying to yourself? :p

The_Prince
06-26-2009, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
It isn't the same photo. Just look at the blinds in the windows on the big white building.

Why are you lying to yourself? :p
ok ok keep playing silly. im going to bed, good morning.

KAding
06-26-2009, 02:57 AM
ok ok keep playing silly. im going to bed, good morning.
You still don't see it? :exhausted.

Open blinds:

Closed blinds:

Ergo, not the same image.

They are images of the same rally, but not the same image. It is completely plausible that the caption is just a mistake. A BBC journalist wrote an article and required an accompanying image, for which he (or an editor) apparently searched on Getty Images. The reporter found this one, assumed it was a Moussavi rally and wrote the caption.

No conspiracy theory required at all. Just bad fact-checking involved.

I am not really sure what your point is exactly, anyway? If they wanted to put a picture of a Moussavi rally on that page they could have, there are hundreds of those on the Internet. Why would they have to go through the trouble of editing an image of an Ahmedinejad rally? Or is your point that there are no photos out there of Moussavi supporters demonstrating?

north_malaysian
06-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Whether BBC lied or not... it's not an excuse to kill innocent people...

I wonder when would somebody come out with Neda video proven as fake thread...

If Ahmadinejad is an Islamic person, he would punish Neda's killer with death.. unfortunately, he's silent about this and didnt ask for forgiveness from her family...

czgibson
06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Greetings,

What motive would the BBC have for doing that?

You are entitled to make up conspiracy theories if you want to, but don't expect the rest of us to believe them when they rest on evidence as flimsy as this.

Peace

nocturne
06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
It is probably a honest mistake.

The western media have rarely gotten a grip on the policies of Iranian govt since the revolution.

Yanal
06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
More like humble mistake. We cannot predict/guess what is right or wrong/what happened because we are not first persons there,we get primary sources information. Only Allah knows the truth.

north_malaysian
06-26-2009, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
More like humble mistake. We cannot predict/guess what is right or wrong/what happened because we are not first persons there,we get primary sources information. Only Allah knows the truth.
the only source of news from Iran is via twitter where Iranians have to change their locations to Canada and non-Iranians changed their locations to Tehran to confused the Iranian spies detecting Iranians sending the news to the world... so I'm not surprised if there are mistakes of reporting or pictures etc... because it's Iranian govt that ban the youtube, facebook and international journalists from reporting whatever happening in Iran...

I've seen videos on youtube of demonstrations in Tehran, Ahvaz City, Isfahan, Tabriz, Kerman etc.

Ahmadinejad and Ali Khameinei might think that they can keep everything silent from the world... but God is greater... those news still managed to come out from Iran...

The_Prince
06-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Greetings,

What motive would the BBC have for doing that?

You are entitled to make up conspiracy theories if you want to, but don't expect the rest of us to believe them when they rest on evidence as flimsy as this.

Peace
and dont expect the rest of us to buy the nonsense which is written in your deceptive media as well.

Zafran
06-27-2009, 01:40 AM
most of the media outlets are bias that is not a conspiracy theory.

The_Prince
06-27-2009, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
most of the media outlets are bias that is not a conspiracy theory.
when you say media, you mean Muslim and Arab Media, because western media has no biasness at alllllllllllllllllll :p

Trumble
06-27-2009, 03:40 AM
when you say media, you mean Muslim and Arab Media, because western media has no biasness at alllllllllllllllllll :p
All media has a bias because, at the most basic level, every person has a bias - and you are certainly no exception! In some cases the agenda is more obvious.. as in the case of Press TV, for example. Most people, though, learn to read through the lines and patch together something resembling the 'truth' from the sources available. That is certainly what is happening in Iran, both among foreign journalists and the locals.

Zafran
06-27-2009, 01:29 PM
No all media outlets including arab and non arab - some are clearly bias eg Fox news and Press TV.

mohsen1985
06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Ahmadinejad's supporters' signs are the Iranian flag. Mousavi's are green flags, clothing, face coloring, etc (anything green), hence his "Green Revolution", protests held in his support are characterized by this green color. It's pretty obvious that this picture is filled with Ahmadinejad's supporters, I think BBC who's been watching all these events very closely knows this already. Even 4 year olds know that here. If you're calling this an honest mistake then they must be very very stupid not to have noticed this, or BBC is run by people younger than 4 years old.

Azy
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
In case it wasn't already obvious enough...

Muezzin
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
It's the same event photographed from a different angle.

The BBC either used it in a genuine mistake, or used it on purpose.

Azy
07-02-2009, 08:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
It's the same event photographed from a different angle.

The BBC either used it in a genuine mistake, or used it on purpose.
It's true that it's the same event but it seems unlikely it was used deceptively for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, noone denies there were large anti-government protests on a similar scale to the one in the picture so the photo used doesn't actually make any difference to the story.

Also the article wasn't much worth shouting about... fairly mundane and admitted they have no confirmation on the size of the protest. To your average UK commuter the distinction between two crowds of Iranians is going to be pretty difficult so unless we're arguing that the protests never happened at all then using the wrong picture is not going to influence anybody's opinion, which is usually the point with deception/propaganda.

czgibson
07-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Greetings,
and dont expect the rest of us to buy the nonsense which is written in your deceptive media as well.
Where did I say you should believe everything in the Western media?

I definitely don't remember saying that.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.