/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Purification/Spirituality

Beardo
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Yet another article I wrote a book on, but my teacher advised until I mature.

---

Purification of the Heart & Soul
By: Hafiz Rashad Abdullah & Hafiz Raakin Hossain

To mankind there are two devils. One is, of course, the Shaitan. To avoid his whispers, one would seek refuge in Allah from the Shaitan by the recitation of: audhoo billahi minashaytaanir Rajeem. However, there is a devil more powerful and persuading than the Shaitan. That is the lower/inner self. This lower self is embedded within each creature, dictating us towards our desires. To suppress these evil forces, one has to learn to control and obey.
Allah does not ask from us what is beyond our scope. For example, anger management is the path to success. However, the arousing of anger itself is not a sin. Rather, it is human nature, and to oppose it is not how Allah created us. On the other hand, to advocate and activate the effects of anger is a sin. Therefore, we are told to grasp and grip our desires and subject them in front of Allah. On the road to Eid Salah we are to say “Labbayk”. That word is meant to be repeated in every good deed performed, which means “Here I am, Ya Allah.” At all times should we be ready to sacrifice whatever we have in the path of Allah.

The true definition of sacrifice cannot be expressed in one word. Rather, the precise meaning can be given in an example of a mother who is willing to turn away the world for her child. A mother, who bore the child in her womb for nine months will obviously feel a different relation with her child than would the father or sibling. Furthermore, the love for one’s own child is restricted. Allah describes the day even a mother will reject her own child as “a day in which neither wealth nor children shall be of any benefit (to anyone), except one who comes to Allah with a sound heart.” The attainment of this “sound heart” is through spiritual cleansing. The room for improvement always remains.

The western society taught us that wisdom is attained through old age and knowledge. A pure soul is one who preaches what he teaches, and teaches what he preaches. This is wisdom; knowledge that is put in practice. To put something in practice, we must have pure conviction that this is the fact and truth of life and religion.

Wisdom is the soap to cleanse our spiritual selves. The two ingredients for wisdom are practice and knowledge. For knowledge, one needs proper upbringing and education in a proper environment. We have been endowed with the legacies and teachings of our ascetic and pious predecessors who have exemplified the path to success. Our constitution is the Qur’aan and Hadith. With those two wings, our spiritual success will soar further than our minds can imagine.

Apart from which has been mentioned, there are two traits: blameworthy and praiseworthy. Those two sections compile to the spiritual fruits or diseases. These traits are the measurement scale of one’s character. The praiseworthy traits are the ones that should be sought for, ones which every believer desires and yearns. Blameworthy traits are the despicable characteristics which deserves contempt. The blameworthy traits in its original form are natural and not sinned, but if brought to a further level are sinful and should be avoided.

The praiseworthy traits include love for Allah, love for His Messenger, unity, sincerity, repentance, longing, fear, hope, abstinence, and trust. This category leans more towards conviction in Allah’s oneness (tauheed) and His books, messengers, and their teachings. If one has sincere conviction in Allah, he will long for his Lord and will never lose hope in His mercy.
The blameworthy traits include anger, malice, hatred, jealousy, pride, vanity, love for the world, love for fame, greed, and ostentation. Abul Hasan Nuri advises “Do not venture near one who lays claim to a condition that brings about transgression of the limits of the Shari’a.” As mentioned above, the natural and original form of these characteristics is no sin. However, acting upon its symptoms is a crime. To follow the desires of such cancerous diseases will eventually lead to one’s destruction both in this world and the next.

Below are some excerpts from various anthologies and literatures in regards to one’s spiritual purification:

 “Stay among people, but remain aloof. Your body should be among creation but your heart with the creator. This will ensure that negligence does not overtake you. Beware of such negligence lest you conform to people in a way that entails opposition to Allah and his displeasure.”
 “A contemptible person is one who, despite his being ignorant of the Path of Allah, does not ask about it.”
 “When man considers his lower self to be despicable and contemptible it is the sign of Allah loving and honoring him. And when he considers his lower self to be honorable and when his defects remain hidden from him, it is the sign of Allah’s abhorrence for him.
 “A sheep is nobler than a man who sacrifices the commands of Allah for the sake of his desire, for the call of the shepherd is heard by the sheep.”
 “There is no salvation like the heart’s salvation, and you will gian dignity and wealth from the All-Powerful.”
 “Knowledge of the heart’s ailments, what causes each of them and what removes them, is an obligation on everyone.”
 A man once approached the ascetic teacher Bayazid Bastami and complimented him for his miracles and supernatural performances. The man named off his miracles one by one, flying, walking on water, etc and one by one the wise teacher would belittle the miracle. At last, the man then asked what a true miracle is to which he answered “A miracle is the heart’s obsession with none besides Allah.”

In an anthology of teachings by Maulana Ashraf Ali Tanwi, a portion of the book dedicates itself towards advice for the seeker of the truth. Within that portion are twelve statements of the Noble Torah, selected by Khalifa Ali ibn Abi Talib below:

 “Mankind! Never fear any devil or kind as long as My Reign endures.”
 “Mankind! Never be worried about our food as long as you find My treasuries full. My treasuries never decrease, nor will they be depleted.”
 “Mankind! When you become helpless in any affair, call Me, and most certainly, you will find Me. I am the Bestower of all things and all goodness.”
 “Mankind! Be assured that I regard you as My friend. You therefore, befriend Me.”
 “Mankind! Do not cease to far Me until you have crossed the Bridge [on the day of Judgment].”
 “Mankind! I have created you out of dust, blood clot, and sperm. I was not without perfect power when creating you, so how then should I be without power to feed you? Why, then, do you seek from others?”
 “Mankind! I have created all things for you and I have created you for My worship. But you have become trapped in what has been created for your service, and you have drifted away from Me for the sake of others.”
 “Mankind! All creation desires something for themselves, while I desire you for your own sake, but you run from Me.”
 “Mankind! You are displeased with Me because of the desires of the lower self, but never did you become displeased with your lower self for My sake.”
 “Mankind! Worshipping Me is obligatory on you, and providing you sustenance is obligatory upon Me. But in most causes you are negligent in your duty, while I am never negligent in feeding you.”
 “Mankind! You seek future sustenance even today, but I do not desire from you the worship of the future.”
 “Mankind! You will forever remain in peace and comfort if you are content with what I have given you. If you are not content with it, I will assert the greed of the world over you. It will then cause you to run from pillar to post, and from door to door, like a dog, in utter humiliation, and then too you will obtain only what has been predestined for you.”

The first step in diagnosing one’s faults is shame and humility. One must first and foremost be accepting to advice and admonitions from his teachers and elders. Then he should feel shame. When one loses the ability of shame, it is a sign of the hardness of his heart. All sins and diseases will then become immune to him, for Allah will have made him closer to his wrongdoings. Only those who are humble in their words and actions will succeed in the process of purification.

The purification process is simple. After diagnosis, one should have conviction that there is a cure and hope. Allah has not sent a disease without a cure; or in that matter, a difficulty without ease. However, each remedial process requires patience and gratitude. For each disease, the cure varies. However, the ultimate medicine is in the fear of Allah. A common sign placed in business areas: “Smile, You’re on Camera”. These words hold high potential to keep away wrong doers, thieves, robbers, and those who are unwanted off the campus. Thus is our life, Allah is the All-Seer and All-Hearing.

There is an English saying, “Man’s way leads to a hopeless end—Allah’s way leads to an endless hope.” Thus, even if a man has a thousand diseases, Allah’s treasuries are open. The keys to those treasures are in the raising of the hands in humility. There are endless accounts of mercy from Allah by our pious elders.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
MashaAllah nice article.

Question: Why did your teacher advise you to mature first? And what for exactly, to write a book?

Beardo
06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
MashaAllah nice article.

Question: Why did your teacher advise you to mature first? And what for exactly, to write a book?
Well, yeah. Once you publish a book, it's out there and if you have an error to correct, it's too late. So he says it's better to wait so to avoid anything being said prematurely. I'm sure he has wisdom! Just to clarify, I do NOT have bay'ah with him (for those who know what it is). Nor does he have it.

Yanal
06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
I am guessing to mature your intention and mind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't agree. We don't have kid geniuses for nothing. Age doesn't deem intelligence. Anyone can be smart and write good things when you put your mind and effort to it.

Beardo
06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I don't agree. We don't have kid geniuses for nothing. Age doesn't deem intelligence. Anyone can be smart and write good things when you put your mind and effort to it.
Well, lol, he's known me for a while and personally. He DID encourage me to publish ARTICLES to my fill, but in terms of publishing, just not yet.

And besides, publishing takes a lot of time, and I don't think it's something I'm ready for at the moment. :X Lot of stuff to do before then, right?

Yanal
06-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree age is merly a number. Publishing does take a lot of time,dedication and a bit of money.

Beardo
06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
I agree age is merly a number. Publishing does take a lot of time,dedication and a bit of money.
If your intention is sincere, money is never, EVER a problem. Insha'Allah, Alhamdulillah. I say this through examples I have physically seen clearly in front of me.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I dont mean publishing, I meant writing. You wouldnt learn unless u keep writing is what I meant, but your right too.

Caller الداعي
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
thnx bro

Faith.
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
:sl:

Nice Article Masha'Allah :thumbs_up

:w:

Beardo
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Jazakumullah to you all!

I found those things from the Torah so interesting! It's really appealing and heart touching.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.