/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan and breastfeeding

Mikaela
06-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Assalamo aleykum! My beautiful baby daughter will be about six months old when ramadan begins this year, and a baby that age gets almost all its nourishment from breastfeeding. Now, I live in Sweden, which is quite far to the north, and this year we will only have about six hours between al Maghrib and al Fajr, and my question is, what on earth should I do?? If it was only myself, I can be patient, but I'm so scared that I won't have enough milk for my daughter, because I need to drink at least 3 litres every day to cover my own and her needs. What if my milk lessens to the point where she doesn't get enough? Should I start with milk powder?? That means trying to make her take the bottle, and she hates pacifiers, so I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if there will be a problem at all, and I pray that it won't, but what if?? Any suggestions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Congratulations on your daughter! :)
I always thought that breast-feeding women did not have to fast.
Is the health and the well-being of your child not a priority?

When you are breast-feeding it is especially important to keep up your own fluid intake!

I hope somebody can give Islamic advice.

Nájlá
06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I came across this, I hope it helps sis.

QUESTION: Is it permissible for an old man to eat during Ramadhaan, and what does he have to do if he does? And is it permissible for a pregnant women not to fast in Ramadhaan because she fears that the fetus might die? What does she have to do? And is it permissible to use scented oils during the month of Ramadhaan?

Answer by Sheikh Yussuf Al-Qaradawi:
For the first question, I answer by saying that it is permissible for an older man, or of course an older woman, not to fast in Ramadhaan if siyaam would be a big struggle for them or it would be an overbearing difficulty. The same goes for the sick who have no hope in being healed from their sickness. One who has a chronic illness, which the doctors have difficulty finding a cure for or it has been with him for a long time, is permitted for him not to fast. If any of these people choose to eat then they have to give a ransom, which is the feeding of a needy person for each day. This is an allowance and easement from Allah. He Allah said: “Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you difficulty.” (2:185)

Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: “It is allowed for the old man not to fast. For each day, he is to feed a poor person, and he does not have to make up the fast.” (Collected by Ad- Daaraqutnee and A]Haakem declared it authentic). Something similar to this was collected by Al- Bukhari that the saying of Allah was sent down concerning the old man and people like him: “And those who are unable have to feed a poor person. But whosoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him.” (2:184)

Which means that whenever someone feeds more than one poor person then this is better for him and will have an ever-lasting reward with Allah. So for the elderly man, elderly woman, and the sick who do not expect recovery from their sickness, they are not to fast and as charity they are to feed a poor person for each day.

As for the second question, is it okay for a pregnant woman not to fast during RamAdhaan because she fears that the fears might die? Yes, she is exempted from fasting. Furthermore, if this fear is based on certainty and has been reported by a Muslim doctor who is firm in his religion and field, then it is obligatory upon her not to fast so that fetus does not die. Allah said: “And do not kill your children.” (17:31)

This fetus is a respectable soul, and it is not permissible for a man or a woman to neglect it and cause it to die. Allah never overburdens His worshipers.

It has also come from Ibn Abbas that the pregnant and the women are within the group of: “And those who are unable have to feed a poor person.” (2:184)

And if the pregnant and breast-feeding women fear for themselves, then most of the scholars say that they should not fast and they only have to make it up. In this case they are similar to the sick. But for the pregnant woman who fears for the fetus or the breast-feeding woman who fears for the child, it is unanimously agreed that they are not to fast. The scholars have differed on whether she has to make it up or if she has to just feed a poor person for each day of if she has to do both. The majority of scholars say that she is to make it up, while Ibn Umar and Ibn Abbas say that she is to feed a poor person, and the others say that she is to do both. But it appears to me that it is permissible to feed a poor person instead of making it up, especially with regards to the woman who is constantly pregnant or breastfeeding and would not find a chance to make it up. One year she would be pregnant, the next year she would be breast-feeding, the next she would be pregnant and so on. She would constantly be either pregnant or breast-feeding to the extent that she would not be able to make anything up. And if we burdened her to make up all the days she did not fast because of pregnancy or breast feeding, then that would mean that she would have to fast a number of continuous years after that. This has in it a great hardship and Allah does not wish for His worshipers to be in hardship.
And for the third question about the use of scented oils during the month of Ramadhaan, it is permissible. Nobody has said that using oils during Ramadhaan is unlawful or that it would ruin the siyaarn. And Allah knows best.
source

muslimah 4 life
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Subhanallah, just proves Allah doesn't burden one with more then they can take.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HopeFul
06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
:sl:

I think my son was nearly a year old but he was too stubborn to stop breastfeeding and I fasted for a few weeks, I think 3 weeks and then I just fainted one day so I had to stop. Mine was much older than yours!! I have read it's ok not to fast if it is harmful for you and/or the baby as the sister above has answered.

may Allah give you strength to redeem the fasts. and ongratulations about your pretty princess, May Allah make her a reason for the honour of islam and her parents, ameen.

ragdollcat1982
06-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Sine the topic of Breastfeeding has come up, does a Muslim woman have to breastfeed at all. Of course it is the most desirable and the best for the baby, but sometimes women cant for various reasons such as medications or maybe does not want too for whatever reason. Is it permissable to formula feed and if so are Muslim women who bottle feed stigamitzed like women here in America sometimes are.

HopeFul
06-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Some people say it is obligatory, on the other hand scholars have said that if one can pay for a wet nurse then they can let the aby feed from another woman. I don't know if breast feeding is obligatory or not. is it same like if we can pay for formula we can give that?

or is breastfeeding important so one HAS to feed the baby that either themselves or through paying someone else.

it isI have read it to be important until the baby can eat otehr things but in Quraan it is said that women can feed upto two years.

If someone is unable to do anything, any religious obligation in Islam due to medical reasons he is exempted from it. I mean he can do it the way is easier for him.

Is it better for her to break her fast so she can breastfeed her child or to stop breastfeeding so she can fast?
I have a son who is ten months old. Now the month of Ramadaan has come and I want to fast the month, but a few days ago I started to fast on Mondays and Thursdays and I became very tired. Is it permissible for me to stop breastfeeding my child so that I can fast, or is it better for me not to fast so I can breastfeed my child?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

In question 50005 we have already stated that if a breastfeeding mother or pregnant woman fears for herself or her child, then it is better for her not to fast and fasting is makrooh in her case. Indeed some of the scholars said that if she fears for her child it is haraam for her to fast and she should not fast, because she has no right to do something that would harm her child.

Secondly:

If the child is able to do without his mother’s milk then she should fast because there is no need for her not to fast in this case.

Al-Mirdaawi said in al-Insaaf (7/383):

If the child is able to do without his mother’s milk, it is not permissible for her not to fast.

Thirdly:

If what you mean in your question by “stop breastfeeding my child” is weaning him, that depends on the child’s situation. If he will be harmed by that, it is not permissible to do it; if he will not be harmed by it, then there is nothing wrong with weaning him, after you consult with his father and agree on that, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The mothers shall give suck to their children for two whole years, (that is) for those (parents) who desire to complete the term of suckling, but the father of the child shall bear the cost of the mother’s food and clothing on a reasonable basis. No person shall have a burden laid on him greater than he can bear. No mother shall be treated unfairly on account of her child, nor father on account of his child. And on the (father’s) heir is incumbent the like of that (which was incumbent on the father). If they both decide on weaning, by mutual consent, and after due consultation, there is no sin on them”

[al-Baqarah 2:233]

al-Qurtubi said:

The phrase “If they both decide on weaning” means weaning the child from the breast, i.e., weaning him from his mother’s milk to other kinds of food. “by mutual consent” means, before two years have passed. “there is no sin on them” means, in weaning him, because Allaah has stipulated that the period of breastfeeding should be two years, except when the parents agree on a shorter period, so long as that is not harmful to the child. That is permissible according to this statement.

Ibn Jareer narrated in al-Tafseer (3913) that Sufyaan al-Thawri said: If the father wants to wean him before two years, and his wife does not agree, then he does not have the right to enforce that. If the woman says, I want to wean him before two years, but the father says no, then she does not have the right to wean him unless the father approves and they reach an agreement. If they reach an agreement before two years, they may wean him, but if they disagree then they should not wean him before two years, as Allaah says: “If they both decide on weaning, by mutual consent, and after due consultation”.

But if what is meant is switching the child from breast milk to formula, this affects the interests of the child by denying him natural breast milk, and the importance of natural breastfeeding to the child has been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt. In this case the mother should not give up natural breastfeeding in order to fast, because formula milk cannot completely replace breast milk. The importance of breastfeeding is sufficient excuse for her not to fast. See also question no. 20759.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

All Rights Reserved for IslamQA© 1997-2009 : 92.81

ragdollcat1982
06-27-2009, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Benefits of breastfeeding: It has all the nutrients that a baby needs It can easily be digested by the baby It protects the baby from illnesses by providing immunity It is readily available for the baby and is always at the right temperature

You will get no arguement from me that breast milk is best. I would think that if a woman could not Bf than she would be permitted to FF instead of procuring a wet nurse. I didnt BF my son for various reasons mainly medication related, but I was able to get some help with forumla through the WIC program which is a wonderful program we have in the USA.

Umu 'Isa
06-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Sister, it is your babies right to be breastfed for 2 whole years.

Is your baby on solid foods?

As Sister Luloah stated in the fatwa above, you do not have to fast. But try it, if you feel okay then continue. You could also fast every 2nd/3rd day etc. I've known women who do that :) and make them up afterwards.

I fasted throughout the whole of Ramadhan when my son was 7 months old and was getting most of his nutrients from breast milk alhamdulillaah. My milk supply was fine :)

There are quite a few foods you can eat aswell to increase your milk supply, eg. oats! eat them for suhoor and inshaAllaah you will be fine. No need to supplement with formula inshaAllaah. Check out www.kellymom.com for other foods that will increase your supply.

ragdollcat1982
06-27-2009, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umu 'Isa
Sister, it is your babies right to be breastfed for 2 whole years.

Is your baby on solid foods?

As Sister Luloah stated in the fatwa above, you do not have to fast. But try it, if you feel okay then continue. You could also fast every 2nd/3rd day etc. I've known women who do that :) and make them up afterwards.

I fasted throughout the whole of Ramadhan when my son was 7 months old and was getting most of his nutrients from breast milk alhamdulillaah. My milk supply was fine :)

There are quite a few foods you can eat aswell to increase your milk supply, eg. oats! eat them for suhoor and inshaAllaah you will be fine. No need to supplement with formula inshaAllaah. Check out www.kellymom.com for other foods that will increase your supply.

My son is 6 and has been weaned since he was 10 months old. I took anti depressants for post partum depression so BF would have been contraindicated.

Mikaela
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
jazak Allahu kheir for all your answers! I've started to let her taste solid food, but at six months old they still don't eat very much solids and my daughter is a very hungry baby. I'm already sooo tired every day and thats when I eat and drink all day.... That's why I asked, and also because it's dark so few hours up here so I'm afraid that I wouldn't have time to eat and drink everything I needed... But trying every two or three days seems like a good idea. :)

ashley66
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Dear Mikaela, Thank you for posting the question. I too have a baby anf he willbe about 7 mth this coming amadhan. I've been thinking about fasting and worrying how it would affect my milk production which is no really that great to begin with. The discussion help to ease my worry.
I'm in Qatar where it is hot and ramadhan is in peak summer. I really wanna fast and I pray that Allah will help me fast and at the same time let me breastfeed my one and only son.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.