/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Im teaching Misconceptions of Islam and need help

ayan333
06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
:sl:

i have to teach fellow classmates in my religion class the misconceptions of Islam.im not the nervous type when im talking about Islam but these plp are all older then me,some old enough to be my parents so they might throw stuff at so i need your help to prepare for all their questions.

if you were in my situation what would you emphizes on?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
06-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Most likely one (if not more) of the following will be raised:

*Adultery punishment

*Rape punishment (which there isn't one)

*Jizya tax

*Aisha marriage

*Pets in Islam

*Different Qurans/Burning original Qurans

*Veil/Burqa

* What have muslims bought to the planet Earth

Be prepared for any of that kind of stuff (If you need any help on those specific topics, by all means ask)

Zafran
06-30-2009, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

*Adultery punishment

*Jizya tax

*Aisha marriage

*Pets in Islam

*Veil/Burqa

Be prepared for any of that kind of stuff (If you need any help on those specific topics, by all means ask)

salaam

You summed those up well

peace

nocturne
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
You should start with discrimination against women. Everyone thinks that muslim women are enslaved and have no rights.

And you can add this to make things interesting.

Remember everyone thinks that in Saudi they chop your hands if you steal?

That is not 100% true. The law is there, but it is practically impossible to implement the law. To impose the law, a person has to commit theft three times and it must be proven that in each time he planned the theft. If you want more info on this, do PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zNTK_69Uc

Have a look at this video about (Inside the Saudi Kingdom) at 6:00 mins on the discussion about implemtation of Islamic law

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Layla454
06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Women's rights in Islam has a massive negative perception in the world so make sure you focus a lot on that

جوري
06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
you shouldn't raise 'misconceptions' you should let them raise their own misconception and then take it from there.. in other words don't go in and say, ok let's discuss the misconception of women's oppression in Islam, as it is presumptive on your part that all who come in think women are oppressed in islam. Also you want to make it more interactive..
You should also asked them the terms in relation to what? other religions, secularism, etc and take it from there.. you should be very relaxed about this, it is a piece of cake.. I'd be unrelaxed if I felt I had something to hide, but this is your opportunity to offer da3wah by invitation on a large scale, so you've got to go get em..

get a nice power slide and knead and mold that audience.. God I love moments like these...throw in some art too people love that, it makes it more interesting and relaxed setting.. like Islamic fractals or the water clock that Harun Ar'rachid gave to Charlemagne that sent his court men afright from its sophistication ...

your chance to shine girl don't blow it..

ragdollcat1982
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

*Adultery punishment

*Jizya tax

*Aisha marriage

*Pets in Islam

*Veil/Burqa

The rape punishment may not exist officially, but wasnt it that long ago that Saudi Arabia sentenced a woman to be flogged for being raped? It does seem that in some Muslim countries a rape victim is punished and the attacker allowed to go unpunished. This is one reason behind so called honor killings. Maybe this is tribalism, but it is associated with Islam to some.

- Qatada -
06-30-2009, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
The rape punishment may not exist officially, but wasnt it that long ago that Saudi Arabia sentenced a woman to be flogged for being raped? It does seem that in some Muslim countries a rape victim is punished and the attacker allowed to go unpunished. This is one reason behind so called honor killings. Maybe this is tribalism, but it is associated with Islam to some.

She was sentenced for being with a guy alone, since that is forbidden in Islam. Why is it forbidden? Because of exactly what happened to her - she got raped. Satan is the 3rd when a male and female stranger are alone.

But what is the punishment for rape in Islam;

Question: What is the punishment for rape in Islam? What happens to the rape victim?

Answered by Sheikh Sulaymân al-`Îsâ, professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

If it is confirmed that a man engaged in sexual intercourse with a woman by threatening to kill her or by using some kind of drug or anesthetic, then his crime will be more serious than that of consentual sex.

The punishment thereto is death by execution. He will not be entitled to any pardon or reprieve whatsoever, regardless of whether he was single or married.

The one who forces sex upon someone else under threat of death is an evil and vile member of the society and should be purged. He is involved in an act of open violence and transgression against others and the spread of mischief throughout the land. His is the fate of bandits and highway robbers:

Allah says: “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution or crucifixion or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.” [Sûrah al-Mâ’idah: 33]

A woman will not be punished if there is any reason to believe that she was forced into the act. The least evidence in this regard will be sufficient to save the woman from punishment. Our Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has pardoned my people for the acts they do by mistake, due to forgetfulness, and what they are coerced into doing” [Related by Ibn Mâjah and authenticated by al-Nawawî, Ibn Hajr, and al-Albânî].

Also, it was related by Ibn Abî Shaybah through Târiq b. Shahâb that a woman accused of adultery was taken to Caliph `Umar. The woman pleaded that she was asleep and woke up to find the man over her. `Umar released the woman. [The narration was approved by al-Albâni]. Ibn Qudâmah stated in his book al-Mughnî: “There is no punishment on the woman who was coerced [forced] into adultery.

ragdollcat1982
06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
She was sentenced for being with a guy alone, since that is forbidden in Islam. Why is it forbidden? Because of exactly what happened to her - she got raped. Satan is the 3rd when a male and female strang

She did not excercise the best judgment and she paid for that by being raped. Why add to her trauma by punishing her again? The guy walked away scot free if I remember. No woman deserves to be raped, even if she walks down the street naked, but she has an obligation to dress to not make herself an easy target.

- Qatada -
06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
:salamext:

ayan, i don't think you should discuss the misconceptions much, but focus on Allah the most, and the Messengers' and the next life.

Now you might wonder how thats a misconception, and how you'll get graded for it. But you can explain to them that i believe you have some misconceptions about what Islam truly is.

So you'll start by telling them what we believe;

We believe in Allah, who is One God, without any partners, sons, or daughters. He is Perfect in every way, and created us all for a purpose, and that purpose is to apply His laws on earth - to unite mankind on goodness.

So He sends us Messengers' who are humans like us - who bring the best guidance from Him, and they do miracles by the will of God which no other human can do, to show people that they really are Messengers' of God. We believe thousands of Prophets came to different nations and called them to God's obedience, so that if they did good - God would give them more good, and if they did evil - God would punish them for their evil against themselves and humanity. Tell them we believe in Prophet Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad (peace be upon them all), and that the final Prophet is Prophet Muhammad. The Qur'an was revealed to him and it contains the best source of guidance in ALL aspects of life, whoever follows it will be successful, and whoever denies it - misses on alot of good. It gives mention of the people before us, those in our time, and warns of what will happen in the future.

The Qur'an warns mankind when they will be brought back to life by God/Allah on the Day of Judgment, and be told what they did in this life - if they believed in God and His Messengers', and did good - they will be rewarded, but if they denied and argue that God and His Messengers' have lied, then they will be punished for their own evil. Every person will be responsible for their own selves, and no-one will be dealt with unjustly. Those who believe and do good will be in Gardens of Delight, and the evildoers will be in Hell, because of what they themselves used to do.

They might question whether that's really a misconception, but tell them that Islam is the most misunderstood religion in the world - so i wanted to tell you what it really is, instead of what the media tells you.

It might be that Allah guides alot of people through you. This is your opportunity, so go for it and make dua' to Allah that he makes you successful.

- Qatada -
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
She did not excercise the best judgment and she paid for that by being raped. Why add to her trauma by punishing her again?
Punishments are placed to warn and even threaten people that you should not do evil, otherwise others will follow and say "it won't happen to me."

To avoid this from happening again, people can be punished as a sign for future people. Doesn't God punish the evildoers to warn future generations against comitting the same crimes?

The guy walked away scot free if I remember. No woman deserves to be raped, even if she walks down the street naked, but she has an obligation to dress to not make herself an easy target.
Yes. I totally agree with that. No-one deserves to be raped. And no-one, like you rightly said should make themselves an easy target.

The guy who did the rape, should have been punished. I don't know why this didn't occur, but it should have as i explained in my previous post.

ayan333
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM

JazakALLAH Khair for all the help.May ALLAH (SWA) reward you all fro your efforts

im not nervous.im very passionate about Islam and i dont want to blow my apportunity to change some views.

good idea.i have to teach the misconception but ill just let them as me questions,so that means i have to know all the answers with no doubt.but u have to remember i cant really quote from the Quran or hadeeths cuz almost none of them are Muslims.i want to start off by saying something extremely intresting to all of them (christians,athiest ect).something that will have them thinking,but what?

lol and Gossamer skye i wont blow it InshALLAH

جوري
07-01-2009, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

The guy who did the rape, should have been punished. I don't know why this didn't occur, but it should have as i explained in my previous post.

I'd like proof that he walked away, ten rapists in Egypt were sentenced to death as you mentioned above their proper punishment is death for having gang raped a 14 year old girl.

I'd not take the words of random bloggers at face value akhi, although I appreciate what you have clarified for the readers above.

Jazaka Allah khyran

Ummu Sufyaan
07-01-2009, 05:32 AM
@first OP:
polygamy
terrorism (you can speak about how extremism in Islam is condemned)
the obeying husband rule...wife "beating"...him being "qawwaam" over her, what does this intitle, is she being oppressed (of course she isnt)
have a look at islamic history and that...some tend to think that the muslims are the thugs. so yh, i think that's worth researching...
and maybe also you could touch upon mathhabs...just have that as back up because some non-muslims know a little about that. so maybe why we have many opinions on one issue, just so that confusion about since islam and how it's complete and whole then why isnt it just so clear cut about certain issues..
also, dont just speak about it from an islamic point of view...speak about it from logical point of veiw as well. so yh appeal to their common sense becuase they dont have that level of iman/understanding that we do :)

you shouldn't raise 'misconceptions' you should let them raise their own misconception and then take it from there.. in other words don't go in and say, ok let's discuss the misconception of women's oppression in Islam, as it is presumptive on your part that all who come in think women are oppressed in islam. Also you want to make it more interactive..
You should also asked them the terms in relation to what? other religions, secularism, etc and take it from there.. you should be very relaxed about this, it is a piece of cake.. I'd be unrelaxed if I felt I had something to hide, but this is your opportunity to offer da3wah by invitation on a large scale, so you've got to go get em..

get a nice power slide and knead and mold that audience.. God I love moments like these...throw in some art too people love that, it makes it more interesting and relaxed setting.. like Islamic fractals or the water clock that Harun Ar'rachid gave to Charlemagne that sent his court men afright from its sophistication ...
brilliant advice! i ditto it...

anonymous
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Google this guy :
Zakir Naik

He has dvd about misconceptions , you could probably find it on youtube.

Here a good clip for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2s14T6x5AM

he is very good study what he says.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.