/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dower query?

AnonymousPoster
07-03-2009, 02:56 PM
:sl:

Its important. I would appreciate replies from people who are students of the quran and sunnah.The query is regarding Dower (mehr).

And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift; but if they, of their own good pleasure, remit any part of it to you, Takeit and enjoy it with right good cheer. verse #4, chapter #4)
As its stated in the quran, that the women should be given the dower when they are married.

But if a woman wishes she can exempt her man, not to gift her, out of her own free will (either part of it or whole).

Have i understood this wrong?

The reason why i am askin this is, becoz almost all the lectures that i am listening to related to marriage, say dower is compulsory. Yes, i do agree with that. But if a sister, with her own choice, doesnot want the dower, even though its written in the marriage contract. Will that be ok islamically?

Jazakumullah khair everyone.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
07-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm not aware that it could be canceled, it doesn't really have a set amount though, so it could just be of symbolic-ie. very little-value. as in he doesn't need to pay much at all, given that both are ok with it and so on.

AnonymousPoster
07-10-2009, 04:52 PM
:sl:

Found this on islam qa
Similarly, if the wife foregoes any part of the mahr, the husband is permitted to take it, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… but if they, of their own good pleasure, remit any part of it, take it, and enjoy it without fear of any harm (as Allaah has made it lawful).” [al-Nisaa’ 4:4]
And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2378

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.