/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Experience God Directly?

Sarada
07-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Can someone experience God directly? Has anyone experienced Him directly? What was it like?. What were you doing when you had the experience?

I hope that this will be a friendly and open discussion. People even experience sunrises in different ways, so please, do not refute or belittle anyone's individual experience.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada

Can someone experience God directly? Has anyone experienced Him directly? What was it like?. What were you doing when you had the experience?

I hope that this will be a friendly and open discussion. People even experience sunrises in different ways, so please, do not refute or belittle anyone's individual experience.
I don't understand what that means exactly. Allah is not a feeling to be felt. He is a being. Has someone ever experienced Allah's mercy directly? Yes, all of us have. His punishment? Yes, all of us have.

Moreover, a sunrise is an event. God is a being.

Yanal
07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I think the thread starter meant has anyone seen Allah..but thats a question answered in many threads because we are all going to see/feel Allah when the Day Of Judgement is here when he judges all his people one by one. The believers are going to he impatient that day because they know they did good but the non believers will feel like a minute has passed by before they are facing Allah and his judgement. We will not have to wait for long because Prophet Muhammads(PBUH) Ummah will enter first which is ours. If that is not the answer you were expecting please do clarify your question.

Sarada
07-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Salaam,

I think you misunderstand my question. I did not ask, has anyone seen God, because that might be construed to be a challenge. I know that God exists. So this thread is not about questioning the existence of God. And, of course, in day to day experience, God cannot be seen.

And all of us, whether we recognise them or not, have seen and experienced the effects of God's actions in the world.

What I am asking is, is it possible for someone to have a mystical experience of God's actual Presence? If yes, has anyone had such an experience, and would they like to share it with us.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AntiKarateKid
07-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Salaam,

I think you misunderstand my question. I did not ask, has anyone seen God, because that might be construed to be a challenge. I know that God exists. So this thread is not about questioning the existence of God. And, of course, in day to day experience, God cannot be seen.

And all of us, whether we recognise them or not, have seen and experienced the effects of God's actions in the world.

What I am asking is, is it possible for someone to have a mystical experience of God's actual Presence? If yes, has anyone had such an experience, and would they like to share it with us.
Moses and Muhammad pbuh had one. But for us average people, we do not know how it exactly feels like since shaitan can delude many people easily. If a man claims to have had a mystical experience with a pagan god, we as Muslims are required to oppose it because it is simply an illusion from shaitan.

Sarada
07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
... If a man claims to have had a mystical experience with a pagan god, we as Muslims are required to oppose it because it is simply an illusion from shaitan.
Yes, but what if someone had a mystical experience of Allah. would that automatically be rejected as an illusion from shaitan?

Zafran
07-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Yes, but what if someone had a mystical experience of Allah. would that automatically be rejected as an illusion from shaitan?
what do you mean???

Sarada
07-04-2009, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
what do you mean???

I'm not quite sure what part you are asking about.

a mystical experience of Allah

or

an illusion from shaitan.

A mystical experience of Allah would be, to me, feeling His ACTUAL PRESENCE

not just the effects of His Presence.

Some Muslims I know have said that they have actually felt Allah's Presence.

I was wondering what the people on this forum have to say on the subject.

AntiKarateKid
07-04-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm not quite sure what part you are asking about.

a mystical experience of Allah

or

an illusion from shaitan.

A mystical experience of Allah would be, to me, feeling His ACTUAL PRESENCE

not just the effects of His Presence.

Some Muslims I know have said that they have actually felt Allah's Presence.

I was wondering what the people on this forum have to say on the subject.
Anyone besides a prophet who says that is just speaking with emotion. And how would a person be able to tell it was even Allah's presence? Because people are often mistaken. A Christian may tell you he has felt Jesus' (his god) presence while a Muslim or Jew will dismiss that as Shaitan. Feeling warm inside doesn't make it so that you are feeling God. Some swear that using hallucinogenic drugs makes them feel God's presence but that is frankly a load of crap.

Sarada
07-04-2009, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
... Some swear that using hallucinogenic drugs makes them feel God's presence but that is frankly a load of crap.
I don't think that using such language is helpful. Of course, I am excluding experiences using hallucinogenic drugs.

In the beginning I asked that we that we not belittle or refute anyone's experience. Making such judgemental statements might discourage someone from sharing valuable insights.

Only God knows what is in our hearts.

AntiKarateKid
07-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't think that using such language is helpful. Of course, I am excluding experiences using hallucinogenic drugs.

In the beginning I asked that we that we not belittle or refute anyone's experience. Making such judgemental statements might discourage someone from sharing valuable insights.

Only God knows what is in our hearts.
???

What judgemental statements? You asked a question and I gave you a response? I'm having trouble making sense of your posts Sarada, could you be a bit more clear.

Sarada
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I have a feeling that this question was worded incorrectly and was in the wrong forum.

I have started another thread in Clarifications of Islam, entitled, "Does Mysticism have a Place in Islam?'

Abdul Fattah
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Hi,
Every now and then I experience lucid dreams. One day, when I was feeling very anxious and impatient with life, I had such a dream where I was lucid. However this time around, it was different from all the other lucid dreams I've had. I dreamt I was taken away gently in what I can only describe as "another place". This place was completely empty and dark, not a cold darkness, just a neutral darkness as in the absence of anything to see. I felt a presence which I couldn't identify. Yet at the same time the presence felt comforting and familiar. I asked the only question that came to mind: "why?" I didn't get an answer in words, but I felt as though somebody was telling me "wait". I repeated my question: "why?" Again the answer was wait; only this time around, I realised that it didn't just mean, be patient, but that it also meant "wait, because were' about to be interrupted". A few seconds later I could hear my alarm-clock going off (while still being asleep). I felt as if I was gently but firmly being taken away, crossing great distances in very small time. At first I tried fighting it back, since I wanted to stay and I realised that I was headed back to become awake. But I had no power over it (despite that this was a lucid dream!) then I decided to just go along and not fight it. As I moved further away the sound of the alarm clock became louder and louder. Until when it was the normal loudness, I finally came to a stop, woke up and sat up straight in my bed. I felt very peculiar. I wasn't disorientated at all. Normally when I wake up it takes a few seconds to realise where I'm at, especially when I had a lucid dream, I can be really confused. But this time around, I wasn't. As if I had been awake the whole time.

I don't know whether this dream came from my sub-conscious, or whether it was a genuine meeting with God, or any other entity. What I do know is that it strengthened my faith and made me feel kinda "warm and fuzzy" if you know what I mean.

glo
07-04-2009, 07:11 PM

I believe that I have experienced God's presence directly.
I won't elaborate on it in this thread, firstly because the experience is very precious and personal to me, secondly because it may be considered to be 'promoting a faith other than Islam'.

Sarada, if you are really interested you can PM me.

Brasco
07-04-2009, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I won't elaborate on it in this thread, firstly because the experience is very precious and personal to me, secondly because it may be considered to be 'promoting a faith other than Islam'.

:sl:

Well, I'm interested in knowing your story! :D Insha'allah, you can tell us here your story :D

:w:

جوري
07-04-2009, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Greetings,

I don't think anyone will see it as a promotion of your religion, some might view it as a brief psychotic of a delusional episode, a daydream, Schizophreniform or simply a schizotypal disorder.. common things being common one usually goes for the most obvious conclusion first before rendering it something other worldly.. You should go ahead and share your experience without fear!

all the best

Sarada
07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Hi,
Every now and then I experience lucid dreams.

...I don't know whether this dream came from my sub-conscious, or whether it was a genuine meeting with God, or any other entity. What I do know is that it strengthened my faith and made me feel kinda "warm and fuzzy" if you know what I mean.
Thank-you for sharing that wonderful story, Brother Abdul. I'm sure it was an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.