/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How long into the night am I able to read Isha for

Salahudeen
07-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Salaam, I was wondering at what time does the isha prayer end?

I know there's 2 opinions, one says that you can pray Isha up till half the night and another opinion says you can pray Isha up till fajar, What I need to know is which opinion is more stronger and authentic.

thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
07-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Thread Approved

Praise be to Allaah.

‘Isha prayer must be performed before midnight, and it is not permissible to delay it until midnight, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The time of ‘Isha’ is until midnight” (narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 964). So you have to pray it before midnight, based on the length of the night, because the night may be longer or shorter, so the guideline is how many hours the night lasts. If the night is ten hours long, then it is not permissible to delay it until the end of the fifth hour. The best way it to pray it in the first third of the night. If a person prays it at the beginning of the time for ‘Isha, that is OK, but if he delays it a little while, that is preferable, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recommend delaying ‘Isha’ prayer for a little while. But if someone prays it at the beginning of its time, after the twilight – the reddish afterglow along the horizon – has vanished, there is nothing wrong with that. And Allaah knows best.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, 10/386

Wa'Alaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

- IqRa -
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Isha can be prayed until Sehri time, which is about an hour before Fajr starts.

And Allaah Knows best.

Al-Hanbali
07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
:salamext:

According to some scholars, the time of Fajr in the UK comes in at around 1:15am, at the moment.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Baari
Thread Approved

Praise be to Allaah.

‘Isha prayer must be performed before midnight, and it is not permissible to delay it until midnight, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The time of ‘Isha’ is until midnight” (narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 964). So you have to pray it before midnight, based on the length of the night, because the night may be longer or shorter, so the guideline is how many hours the night lasts. If the night is ten hours long, then it is not permissible to delay it until the end of the fifth hour. The best way it to pray it in the first third of the night. If a person prays it at the beginning of the time for ‘Isha, that is OK, but if he delays it a little while, that is preferable, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recommend delaying ‘Isha’ prayer for a little while. But if someone prays it at the beginning of its time, after the twilight – the reddish afterglow along the horizon – has vanished, there is nothing wrong with that. And Allaah knows best.

<b>
Majmoo’ah Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, 10/386
</b>

Wa'Alaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.
What about when Esha starts at 11.30pm? :?

rk9414
07-14-2009, 01:31 AM
The end time:
First opinion: Abu Hanifah
As long as the dawn has not yet risen.

Second opinion: Maalik, Shafi’ee, and Ahmad
Until the end of the first third of the night or the first half, and as a necessity until fajr time.

Q: What is half of the night? Is it the same as midnight?
Start measuring the time at sunset until fajr and divide that time. For example: half of the night today is around 12:45
am. (where I live)

The most authentic opinion according to the evidences is half of the night.

alcurad
07-14-2009, 02:01 AM
I believe the majority state the time ends at Fajr, the middle of the night is the weaker opinoin for contradicting stronger evidence. rather what some say it's best to pray it earlier rather than later.

to note, regardless of either opinion, the 'time' is not measured so precisely in minutes and seconds, you can't for example tell someone who just prayed: you missed it by a minute! the time starts and ends rather ambiguously, just because nowadays we have time tables that measure down to the minute doesn't make them accurate for everyone.

we more or less depend on the sun for deciding the times of prayer, and it's quite relative if you really look into it.
take for example two places almost touching each other on a map, say one is located at the top of a hill, and the other is below it, regardless of how short a distance it is from one to the other, the times of prayer would certainly be different.

BlackMamba
07-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Fatwa # 15771 from askimam.org
He answers according to the Hanafi madhab.

It is Mustahab (preferable) to delay the Esha Salaah to one third of the night. Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said “If I did not fear difficulty upon my Ummah, I would have commanded them to delay the Esha to one third of the night. It is Mubah (permissible) to delay Esha Salaah unto half of the night. To delay it to after half of the night is Makrooh (reprehensible) (Tahtaawi Page 184 Ilmiyya).

And Allah knows best
Wassalam
Muhammed Zakariyya Desai,
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
By Mufti Ebrahim Desai
A.) The permissible time to perform Isha salat is untill subh-sadiq (true dawn). To perform Isha salat after half of the night has passed will be considered makrooh (undesirable). After midnight one can perform salat, and this will be considered performed in its valid time (ada), not qada. Half the night can be calculated by finding the midpoint between sunset and subh-saadiq. (Fataawa Mahmoodiyah vol.2 pg.146, 240). And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, i asked my uncle who's 'Mullah' and he said Isha is valid up til Fajr.

sirajstc
07-27-2009, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Isha can be prayed until Sehri time, which is about an hour before Fajr starts.

And Allaah Knows best.

yes ur rit:statisfie:statisfie

rk9414
07-27-2009, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
I believe the majority state the time ends at Fajr, the middle of the night is the weaker opinoin for contradicting stronger evidence. rather what some say it's best to pray it earlier rather than later.
Scholars of Ahul-Hadith (Ibn Baz, Uthaymeen, etc.) have stated the the midnight opinion is stronger

Abdul Qadir
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rk9414
Scholars of Ahul-Hadith (Ibn Baz, Uthaymeen, etc.) have stated the the midnight opinion is stronger
can u please give me some evidence of this fatwa by these two great Scholars (May Allah be pleased with them)? Coz if they had said this, then we have no choice but to follow that...

Abdul Qadir
01-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Question:

Some of the people complain when it is said to them: “Why do you delay salaatul Isha while working or other than this?” So they say: “The (time for) salaatul Isha is up until midnight and the time (to establish Isha) is wide.” I beg from your eminence, clarification regarding this issue and the ruling on it with evidence for it. May Allaah preserve you and guide your steps.
Answer:

It is obligatory upon every Muslim to pray salaatul Isha and other than this (the other salawaat) with the congregation and it is not permissible to delay it and to busy oneself with work. This is because praying in congregation is an obligatory matter. So it is not permissible for anyone to oppose the congregation except with an excuse that has been legislated; like illness and what leads to it.

This is because of the saying of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم): “Whoever heard the call (to salaat) and he did not come to it, then there is no (reward for the) salaat for him except with an excuse.”

It was said to Ibn Abbaas (رضي الله عنه): “What is the excuse?” He (Ibn Abbaas) said: “Fear (of death) or illness.”

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz
Ad-Da'wah magazine, number 1489, published 27/11/1415AH

i hope this helps...inshallah...

Abdul Qadir
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
When sheikh bin Baz (Rahimullah) says something, we know that is something...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.