/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are you sinful if you kill an insects?

Salahudeen
07-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Salaam, I get lots of insects in my house and I end up killing them all, they make me cringe imsad is it something that I will be held account for??

I just read the hadith of the women who entered hell because she didn't feed her cat and she let it die then it got me thinking imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
07-13-2009, 06:43 AM
:salamext:
A lot of information/hadeeths on animals,that might be beneficial to you, insha'Allah: http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive/article.php?lang

PS:Link at times does not work,just go to www.islanweb.net and search your answer and insha'Allah you will still get the link I gave.

:w:

blm2007
07-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Frankly speaking,you are not allowed to kill any insect or animal or any living things on Earth.It's strongly prohibited to do so.But if it's in case of self defense that is if the insect or animal is trying to hurt or kill you,then for the sake of your self defense, you can kill or injure it.That's what I know.But killing without any reason is sinful.
__________________________________________________ _________________
Search Sahih Muslim
Quran English Translation

crayon
07-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Lead them outside with trails of bread crumbs...Secret Life of Bees, anyone?

But yeah, that is a good question, I've never really thought about it before.. I guess when I see a cockroach or some other insect in the house all I can focus on is killing it or getting as far away from it as possible.

InshaAllah someone can provide us with an answer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
I know :( you don't want to kill it but at the same time you dont want to touch it to pick it up and put it outside. So you think if I jus use my shoe then scrape it onto piece of paper i dont have to touch it and can get it outside. but what if there's lots of them invading your house you must be allowed to kill them then.

Bub
07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
a good question! mashaAllah, i always kill ants when i was a young kid

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I have heard this question from Hindus asking their gurus quite a bit and they also answer by saying that insects should be shooed away or taken outside of the house if possible. Personally, I have killed many insects and I do not consider it a crime but that is only my opinion.

rk9414
07-30-2009, 05:21 PM
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/105190/insect

Not exactly what you're asking buy close:

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas were asked: What is the ruling on killing insects with electric shocks, knowing that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) enjoined killing properly and slaughtering properly?

They replied:

If these insects are indeed harmful and there is no way to put a stop to their harm except killing them by means of electric shocks and the like, then it is permissible to kill them in that way as an exception to the command to kill properly in cases of necessity, because of the general meaning of the words of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him): “There are five kinds of creatures, all of which are harmful and may be killed inside and outside the sanctuary: crows, kites, scorpions, rats and vicious dogs.” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

AnberBHaq
08-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Even though you shouldn't, many muslims do it w/o noticing that they are breaking little rules! It is good that you were aware of this. Really, just slide a paper under a bug and take it outside.

Still, I do the same... and I should stop and take my own advice.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-15-2009, 03:41 AM
:sl:

I try not to kill them anymore either...even if they're really icky looking +o(
But I won't ever kill bees...since they happen to be in shortage, can go extinct easily etc. And we know they are really important especially for honey and pollination...

I had a massive bee in my window like 2 weeks ago...and I told my mom not to kill it and to get it inside something and let it outside. Trying not to get stung she got it inside a plastic bottle and let it out. Took like close to 5-10 minutes trying to get it inside the bottle without killing it nor getting stung. I found another in my window the other day, smaller bee and let it out also.

Sooo yea...I think I'll just capture them every time and let it out...to be on the safe side.

Woodrow
08-15-2009, 04:18 AM

I have yet to see any ruling that forbids the use of common sense. We do know that it is permissable to kill a human aggressor who is threatening us seriously and is an immediate danger to the lives of ourselves or others.

Would it not make sense that we would be permitted to kill an insect that is a threat to our health or life?

The wanton needless killing of any living creature seems to be forbidden. So, in the event of a non-threatening or harmless insect it probably is best to move it outside, if it is possible to do without posing any harm to yourself or others.

So like all things it comes down to the reason we are killing the insect. For protection seems to be permissable, for pleasure seems to be wrong.

crayon
08-15-2009, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnberBHaq
Really, just slide a paper under a bug and take it outside.
I do that with pretty bugs.. like lady bugs, caterpillars, beetles, that sort. But the thought of doing that to cockroaches or spiders is...:hmm: I guess they're victims of lookism, poor ugly insects.

Gubbleknucker
08-21-2009, 04:23 AM
I find that the easiest way to catch unwanted insects that are in the house, such as bees, spiders, etc. is to use a piece of card paper and a cup.

Corner the insect on a flat surface--wall, window, floor-- and put the cup over it. Slide the card under the cup, and carry the insect out of the house.
The insect cannot escape, as it can if you simply use a piece of paper, and this works for flying insects as well, especially if you use a clear glass.

I haven't intentionally killed a spider, bee, or dragonfly in years.

I'm especially careful with the dragonflies:statisfie

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
^Yea I do that too, it's probably the best way. Even tho I find some of them icky, I have this guilt if kill them.

I avoid killing things like bees and dragonflies the most.

Rasema
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Yes, you can kill them if they are harmful.

Is it permissible for someone in a state of pilgrim sanctity (ihram) to kill an ant?

Answer:
[This answer was originally posted as a response to a student question in the course, The Reliance Explained -- Part 2.]

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate

Scholars distinguish between harmless large ants (al-naml al-sulaymaniyy) and harmful small ants. The latter are permissible to kill--just as it is permissible for a pilgrim to kill other harmful animals, such as scorpions and mice--but the former are impermissible to kill because (a) they are harmless and (b) the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) forbade the killing of harmless large ants. [1] [2]

And Allah Most High knows best.

Hamza.

[1] Sulayman al-Jamal, Hashiyat al-Jamal `ala Fath al-Wahhab, Bab: Ma haruma bi al-ihram

[2] Abu Dawud narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) forbade the killing of four kinds of animals: ants, bees, hoopoes, and surad [h: a kind of bird]. Baghawi, Nawawi, and others understood "ants" here to exclusively mean harmless black ants, not other kinds of ants.

Yusuf Saeed
08-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Good question. Something that has been on my mind as well for a while.

What about all those insects(including ants) and small frogs that get killed while mowing the lawn?
I'd rather not mow the lawn at all to avoid these killings but my dad wants me to do that and we muslims are supposed to obey our parents.

So I'm really confused. I don't want to kill innocent insects but neither I want to disobey my dad. Does anyone know what is right in this case?

zakirs
08-23-2009, 05:41 AM
In that case bro you kill many ants while you walk on the ground.That is not killing by intention.In india Jains believe that even that is wrong so they end up wearing a mask to avoid killing micro insects when they breath O_o.

Gubbleknucker
08-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Has anyone told them about the millions of microbes they kill every day?:p
What about all those insects(including ants) and small frogs that get killed while mowing the lawn?
I'd try to get the frogs at least to get out of the way of the lawnmower.

Of course, this is coming from the person who, as a kid, spent hours throwing beached cockles back into the ocean in an attempt to save them.:giggling:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
^^lol that's funny but smart. Ahh the good old innocent days.

Hidaya
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Subhanallah, I've never actually thought about it like that. All I want to do is just get the bugs away from me.

Salahudeen
08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
^ same ere I freak out lol but I read stories from the sunnah about the prophet's pbuh kindness to animals. Like the time when they were out somewhere and 1 of the companions took a eagle's baby eggs and the eagle started making sad noises.

Then the prophet pbuh asked why the eagle was agitated and someone explained that her eggs had been taken and he commanded whoever took the eggs to give them back.

Woodrow
08-26-2009, 02:02 AM
I am incapable of killing any living creature. I find joy and beauty in all living creatures, even some of the "dangerous" ones.

I think the only justification for killing any living thing is protection and food. Or if we are specifically required to do so by Allaah(swt)

Reading and rereading the Ahadith I do not see any place in which we are commanded to go out and kill creatures like Kites, Snakes, Scorpions, Voracious dogs (Shouldn't that be vicious?) etc. It seems to say we are to kill them if they are a danger to humans. But, that is how I see it and that is my opinion Astagfirullah

gang4
08-26-2009, 03:57 AM
How about Mosquitoes who targeted you as their 'lunch'?

Humbler_359
08-26-2009, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gang4
Hmm, mosquitoes are harmful to our human beings, i think, it is okay to smack it. ;D

Hidaya
08-26-2009, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
^ same ere I freak out lol but I read stories from the sunnah about the prophet's pbuh kindness to animals. Like the time when they were out somewhere and 1 of the companions took a eagle's baby eggs and the eagle started making sad noises.

Then the prophet pbuh asked why the eagle was agitated and someone explained that her eggs had been taken and he commanded whoever took the eggs to give them back.
Subhanallah, that's story's so interesting; never heard it before.
Jazakallahu Khayran for sharing :]

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Mosquitoes doesn't eat human... or blood :D Alhamdulillah. They eat only juices :)

But In Malaysia mosquitoes can spread disease when comes to contact with the humans...

malayloveislam
08-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Masha'Allah, never thought about this. I think we have no right to take others' life even of insects. I remember that during pilgrimage, we can't harm any living things including insects. Surprisingly, mosquitoes in Mina are so big compared to common Aedes mosquitoes in our country and its painful when they bite, but I do not dare to smack them down because afraid of the Dam (sentence)...

Sometimes I smack cockroaches because it's so hard to catch them. My mother too had trapped rats with special glue for rat. Poor they're, one day trapped there and they die. I would rather use the cage trap and later throw them away in the jungle but rats can also bring disease and harming. I'm scared of rats especially their teeth, they can't be underestimated :skeleton:...

Woodrow
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I am one of those few people mosquitoes do not like. Mosquitoes tend to avoid me unless I am the only person around. Maybe I eat too much garlic?

OK you got me there I do swat pesky mosquitoes and do have a bug zapper light on in the yard. So I guess there are some creatures I do kill after all.

However when I lived in Texas I was known to pick up scorpions that got into the house and carry them outside. But, the scorpions in the USA are essentially Harmless except for one species that is not common and Found primarily in West Texas and New Mexico. The Common
Vaejovidae scorpions have a very mild sting that only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds. I been stung many times, usually not even noticing it unless I see the scorpion sting me.

Bub
08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I heard information from my cousin is that animals will speaking on day of judgement and tell Allah s.w.t how did they get hurt etc like on purpose or no reason from mankind. so i better leave ants and others alone. Might Allah forgive us to kill insects or others Ameen

gang4
08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
OK you got me there ....
Oops, prob. misunderstood....I respect you too much ... not my intention to put you on like that....

I should write " ...who targeted me as their lunch"

I am a mosquito-magnet. The best known anti-mosquitoes agent is not DDT or some gels...

for a radius 600 feets, just having me around, you will be free from the bites

Woodrow
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Oops, prob. misunderstood....I respect you too much ... not my intention to put you on like that....

I should write " ...who targeted me as their lunch"

I am a mosquito-magnet. The best known anti-mosquitoes agent is not DDT or some gels...

for a radius 600 feets, just having me around, you will be free from the bites
No problem.Your reply did make me realize that when I said I am incapable of killing any creature, the statement was too broad. I should have been more aware that I do have some exceptions. I appreciate you for bringing this to mind.

While the majority of living creatures on the earth are harmless or pose no danger to humans there are some we do need to protect ourselves and others from, even if we dislike killing them.

Sampharo
08-31-2009, 02:56 PM
"Are you sinful if you kill insects?"

The broad and general answer to this question as per Sunnah is no, you are not sinful.

Clarifications:

1- A pilgrim is forbidden from many things, one of which is not to kill any creatures that are not attacking him or her. This is specific for the pilgrim, not general. The five animals mentioned to be killed, are exceptions to this rule, and they can be killed whether or not they are bothering the pilgrim. The prophet's saying was clear: لقوله صلى الله عليه وسلم: "خمسٌ من الدواب كلهن فاسق يقتلن في الحرم الغراب والحدأة والعقرب والفأرة والكلب العقور" (متفق عليه).
Prophet -pbuh- said: "Five creatures are all Faseq, they are to be killed even in pilgrimage: The crow, The Had'aa (Kite, a carnevorous bird), The scorpion, The mouse/rat, and the rabid dog"

2- Animals and insects whether harmful or not, are forbidden from being killed using painful or torturous methods. Specifically it is not allowed to burn them. It is however allowed to use the electric shock device that attracts and kills flies and mosquitoes. This is a detailed fatwa http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/105190/kill%20insects

3- The Shariah basis in this matter as per Sunnah scholars is as follows:

a) Whatever is harmful by nature, is permissible to kill. This is in addition to the five that you kill even at pilgrimage. These are harmful by nature and you have the choice of killing or not if you feel threatened or bothered by them, like mosquitoes, hornets, cockroaches, spiders, snakes, weasels, wolf, fire ants, fleas etc. It's also permissible to kill animals otherwise forbidden to kill if they are causing harm, such as insects attacking and eating crops or food in the house (house ants), or a fox or wildcat eating and killing small chicks at a farm.

b) Whatever is edible, is permissible to slay. This however requires that you slay it for consumption. Sheep, cattle, chickens, etc.

c) What is not harmful is not permissible to kill. These include the four that were forbidden by nass by the hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas that "the prophet -pbuh- forbidden killing four creatures: "The Ant (harmless ants as mentioned before, not fire or soldier ants, and not ones attacking your food at home), The Bee, The Hoopoe (Hud-hud, King Solomon's bird), and Al-Sard (Red Back Shrike bird)". The prophet said "Anyone kills an animal from an Osfour (sparrow/finch) and upwards, will be questioned by God on judgement day on why he killed it". So this includes domestic cats, non-rabid dogs (except black ones), foxes, eagles, elephants, etc.

May God provide you with guidance and increase your mercy on God's creatures, and as always God knows best.

Hassan C
08-31-2009, 03:03 PM
I hate WASPS!! They are annoying as *beep*

13th Yarba
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
not sinful, just cruel - all living things have the right to life. as per a previous post the best technique is take a glass (see-through causes less stress to the insect) from the kitchen cupboard and trap the insect against a flat surface, you can then slide an envelope/leaflet or whatever is close at hand under the insect before taking outside. I always feel like some kind of hero releasing a phalanx of doves when i let them go!

south American Brujos would never touch moths in a house as they believed the scales that fell form their wings were the gold dust of knowledge however i think the moth would rather lose a few scales than die! i think spiders in kitchens are ok to leave as they eat flies and other disease carrying insects which makes your home safer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.