The Great Virtues and Benefits of Ayat Al-Kursi
In the name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful
All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the worlds. May Allah bestow His peace and blessings upon His Servant and Messenger Muhammad and upon all of his family and Companions. Ameen.
Allahu la ilaha illa huwa Al -Haiyul-Qaiyum
La ta'khudhuhu sinatun wa la nawm
lahu ma fi as-samawati wa ma fil-'ard
Man dhal-ladhi yashfa'u 'indahu illa bi-idhnihi
Ya'lamu ma bayna aydihim wa ma khalfahum
wa la yuhituna bi shai'in min 'ilmihi illa bima sha'a
Wasi'a kursiyuhus-samawati wal ard
wa la ya'uduhu hifdhuhuma wa Hu wal 'Aliyul-Adheem
Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal.
No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep.
His are all things In the heavens and on earth.
Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permitteth?
He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them.
Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth.
His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory). Al-Baqarah 2: 255
The benefits and virtues of this Ayah are numerous and here are some of them:
• A Guarantee of Paradise inshallah!
• It was narrated that Abu Umamah said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever recites Ayat Al-Kursi immediately after each prescribed Prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death.” (Reported by An-Nasa’i and Ibn Hibban.)
• In it the Most Great Name of Allah (ismullahi al-’atham) is mentioned.
• It protects one’s self, property and home from the shayatin (devils) and brings one relief from difficulties.
• The believer who recites it following an obligatory salah is under the Care and Protection of Allah until the commencement of the next prayer.
• It is the only place in the Quran where the Kursi (Footstool of Allah) is mentioned
• It brings an abundance of blessings when recited and blown upon food and drink
Here are some hadith about the great benefits and virtues of Ayat ul Kursi:
Hadhrat Ali (ra) says
that the chief of the Ayats of the Qur'aan Kareem is Ayatul Kursi.
Hadhrat Ibn Masood (ra) says
that Allaah the Lofty did not create any thing in the skies or on earth, in Jannat or Jahannam, loftier than Ayatul Kursi.
Hadhrat Ibn Masood (ra) says
that no space in the sky or on the earth is loftier than Ayatul Kursi.
Hadhrat Ali bin Kaab (ra) remarks that Nabi (saw) asked him,"
Which is the most high ranking Aayat in the Qur'aan Kareem?" He said, " Allaah and His Rasul know best". Rasulallah repeated this statement very often. Hadhrat Ali (ra) stated, "Ayatul Kursi". Nabi (saw) said:"Oh Abul Munzar (family name of Abi bin Kaab). May you be blessed by this knowledge. I swear by that Being in whose Hands and Control is my life, that this Ayat has one tongue and two lips. It is by the threshold of Allaah's Arsh, Mentioning His purity".
It is reported from Hadhrat Askee Baqri
that Nabi (saw) came to the abode of the Muhajreen when one person asked, "In the Qur'aan Kareem which is the most lofty Ayat?" Nabi (saw) repeated "Ayatul Kursi".
Hadhrat Hassan reports
"Marfoonaan"," I have been given Ayatul Kursi. Nabi (saw) said," Surah Fateha, Ayatul Kursi and the two Ayats of Al-Imraan (Shaheedal Allaah - 18th Ayat), and "Qul Allaahumma Malekal mulk til Bi Ghairi Hisaab (Ayat 26/7) are attached to the Arsh and say, "Oh our Rabb, You are sending us onto earth to disobedient ones!!! Allaah says ," I have given you such status, whosoever from amongst my servants recites you after every Salaat, his resting place will be Jannat. And I will make his abode in Jannatul Quddoos and fulfill 70 needs of his daily needs, the least of which is forgiving him and saving him from all enemies of evils.
It is equivalent to a quarter of the Qur'aan.
Hadhrat Anas (RA) narrates
that Rasulallaah (saw) asked one of his companions: "Oh, so and so are you married?" He replied: "No, I do not have enough wealth that I may marry.” Nabi (saw) said: "Do you know Surah Qul Huwallaahu Ahad?" The Sahaba replied: "I know". Nabi (saw) said: "It is equal to a quarter of the Qur'aan. Nabi (saw) asked: "Do you not know Qul Yaa Ayyuhal Kaafiroon?" The Sababi replied "I know". Nabi (saw) said “It is equal to a quarter of the Qur'aan." Nabi (saw) asked, "Do you not know Surah "Iza Zul Zilzilaat " ?" The Sahaabi replied, "I Know". Nabi (saw) said: "It is a quarter of the Qur'aan". Nabi (saw) asked: "Do you not know Surah Iza Jaa a Nasrullaahi Wal Fath" The Sahabi replied "I Know" Nabi (saw) said, it is a quarter of the Qur'aan. Nabi (saw) asked: "Do you know the Ayatul Kursi?" The Sahabi replied "I know". Nabi (saw) said, "It is equal to a quarter of the Qur'aan. Marry, Marry, Marry."
The Benefits and Virtues of Ayat ul Kursi
Hadhrat Anas (ra) said that Nabi (saw) said:
"The one who recites Ayatul Kursi after every fard Salaat will be protected until the next Salaat and this is constantly done by a Nabi or a Siddiq or a martyr.
Hadhrat Hassan bin Ali (ra) says:
"A person once asked: "Oh Rasulallaah (saw) what does that person receive who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salaat ? Nabi (saw) said: "That person remains under the protection of Allaah until the next Salaat."
Hadhrat Anas (ra) says:
Rasulallaah (saw) asked; "Do you know which Ayat in the Qur'aan is most lofty?” I said, Allaah and his Rasul know more." Nabi (saw) read Ayatul Kursi
Hadhrat Efai bin Abdullah Kallee said that one person asked."
Oh Rasulallaah (saw), which Ayat in the Qur'aan is the most lofty one?" Nabi (saw) said: " Ayatul Kursi". The person asked,"Which Ayat has those benefits which you desire for your Ummah, in the Qur'aan?" Nabi (saw) said: "The last Ayat of Surah Baqarah, for it is from the treasures of Allaah from underneath the threshold of the Arsh. It encompasses all the good of this world and the Aakhiraat".
Hadhrat Muhammad bin al Saumi bin Al Salsal bin Damasc narrates from his father, who in turn, narrates from his father that Prophet(saw) said:
" Whoever recites Ayatul Kursi after every fard Salaat, there is only death between him and Jannat", he will enter into Jannat immediately when he dies.
Hadhrat Ibne Anas (ra) says that Rasulallaah (saw) said:
"The one who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salaat, Allaah will grant him a gratifying heart, actions of the truthful and reward like the prophets (ambiya) .Special mercies will descend upon him, and death is the only barrier from his entrance into Jannat. On dying he will enter Jannat". inshallah
Extra Blessing upon food it is blown upon
Hadhrat Ayesha (R.A.) narrates
that one person came to Nabi (saw) and said that there was absolutely no "Barakat" (blessings) in the things at home. Nabi (saw) replied, "Why are you neglectful of Ayatul Kursi."
Whenever Aayatul Kursi is recited upon food, Allaah will increase the Barakat in that food.
For protection of one’s self, wealth, property and home from Satan
Hadhrat Ali (RA) says
"I have heard Rasulallaah (saw) say that person who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Salaat, only death prevents him from Jannat and who recites it whilst retiring to his sleeping place, Allaah will protect his house, his neighbours and even his surroundings.
Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (ra) narrates
this (above) Hadith from Rasulallaah (saw), with the addition that there is an Ayat in Surah Baqara, which is the chief ayat of the Qur'aan. Whosoever recites it in a house wherein Shaitaan is, he (Shaitaan) will leave.
Hadhrat Ibne Masood (ra) says
that a person requested Rasulallaah (saw) to teach him something that will benefit him. "Nabi (saw) said,” Read Ayatul Kursi, it will protect you, your children, home and even those houses surrounding your house."
In times of difficulty
Hadhrat Abu Zar (RA) says that he asked Rasulallaah (SAW) which was the most (Arabic) (lofty, respectable) Ayat revealed to you? Nabi (SAW) replied, "Ayatul Kursi".
Aid at the time difficulty and Angels stipulated it for Protection
Hadhrat Abu Qatada (RA) narrates that Nabi (SAW) said.
"Whoever reads Ayatul Kursi and the last Ayat of Surah Baqarah when in difficulty, then Allaah listens to that plea."
Hadhrat Qatadah (RA) says:
” Whoever recites Ayatul Kursi on his sleeping bed, Allaah Ta'aala nominates 2 angels to protect him until morning."
Hadhrat Fatima Zahra (ra) narrates
, ” When the time approached for her delivery, then Nabi (saw) ordered Hadhrat Umme Salama (ra) and Hadhrat Zainab (ra) to go to Fatima and recite Ayatul Kursi and "Inna Rabba Kumullaah"
(the whole Ayat) and the last two Quls and blow on her.
Ayatul Kursi is the Best Means of Protection
Hadhrat Ali (ra) narrates,
" I cannot understand how a person, who is a Muslim and owner of reason (intellect), can spend the night without reading Ayatul Kursi. If you knew the benefits of it, then you will never discard it under any condition".
Rasulallaah (saw) stated,
"I have been given Aayatul Kursi from the treasures under the Arsh of Allaah and it was not given to anyone before me".
Hadhrat Ali (ra) says,
"From the time I have heard this, I have never passed a night without reading it".
Hadhrat Abu Huraia (ra) said
that Rasulallaah (saw) stated that whosoever reads "Haa meem al Mu'minoon" upto "al maseer" and Ayatul Kursi in the morning, will be protected until the evening and whoever reads both of these in the night will be protected until the morning.
Hadhrat Ibne Abbass (ra) narrated
that the Bani Israeel asked Musa(A.S.), "Does your Rabb sleep?" Musa(A.S.) said, "Fear Allaah". Allaah ordered, " Oh Musa, your nation has asked you whether your Rabb sleeps? Take two glasses in your hand and stand with it for the whole night." Hadhrat Musa (A.S) did as he was ordered. When on third of the night passed, he fell on his knees but stood up immediately. During the latter part of the night, sleep overcame him and the glasses fell and broke. Allaah said, "Oh Musa, if I sleep then the sky will fall on the earth and destroy it just as the two glasses fell from your hands and broke.” Then Allaah Ta'aala revealed unto Nabi (saw) Ayatul Kursi.
Fulfilling 70 needs and the Ayat which gives Jannat.
Hadhrat Ali (ra) narrates
that Surah Fatiha, Ayatul Kursi and two Ayats of Al Imraan (Shahidallaahu Anahu la...... Azzizul Hakeem) and (Qul Allahumma...bi Ghairi Hisaab) are linked to the arch of Allaah and between them and Allaah there are no veils. These Ayats said to Allaah "You are sending us unto earth and amongst those who become disobedient." Allaah said, "By my Being, I say, that whoever of my servants reads you (addressing the Ayats) after every fard Salaat, I will make his resting place Jannat, irrespective of what action he may be involved in and will make him stay in "Blessed Peace"
and view him with my hidden eye daily seventy times and fulfil seventy of his needs daily, amongst which the smallest is forgiveness and I will protect him from every enemy and assist him against the enemies".
Some of the Virtues of Ayat ul Kursi Summarised
• This is the loftiest Ayat of the Qur'aan.
• It is the chief Ayat of the Qur'aan.
• The reader of it is protected from the evil effects of the Jinnat from morning until evening and from evening until morning.
• It is from the threshold of the Arsh of Allah (Throne of Allah).
• It is equivalent to a quarter of the Qur'aan.
• Whoever recites it after the Fard Salaat will be protected until the next Salaat and and only death is the barrier between the reader and Jannat inshallah.
• Blowing it upon food and drink brings blessings and abundance on the food or drink that it is blown upon.
• It is greater than the skies, earth, Jannat and Jahannam.
• Whosoever reads it upon entering the home; Satan finds it intolerable to stay there and runs squealing like a donkey.
• The reader, his children, home, wealth, property and the homes of his neighbours are safe.
• Whosoever reads it together with the last Ayats of Surah Baqarah, Shaitaan does not enter his home for at least three days this is how powerful the effects are of this Ayah.
• The Jinnaat cannot open any utensils upon which this Ayat is read.
• In it is the Ism Azam. (Blessed name of Allah; through which the invoker's duaa is fulfilled).
• The thief does not come near its reciter.
• When recited with the last Ayat of Surah Baqarah then the plea of the reader will not go unattended.
• When reading it when going to bed then one is protected until the morning. Two angels are deputed to protect him.
• Whosoever recites it after every fard Salaat, will be rewarded with a grateful heart, a remembering tongue, the reward of being martyred in the path of Allaah, and will also be rewarded like the Siddiques.
• Who reads it and "Inna Rabba bi kum Allaah.." and the last two Quls for a women on delivery, then the delivery becomes easy for her inshallah.
• When one reads it and blows on his possessions and goods, then Shaitaan cannot come near the possessions.
• Whosoever reads Ayatul Kursi and the beginning of Surah Ghafir in the morning then he will be protected and be safe from the morning until the evening and vice versa.
SUBHANALLAH WHAT AMAZING BENEFITS AND VIRTUES THERE ARE WITH THIS SHORT AYAH FROM THE QUR’AN!
Lets not miss out on this immense reward and blessings and lets learn it if we don’t know it and increase in reading it if we don’t do so already and remind others also to do the same and we shall receive the reward! Let’s also teach our families, kids, friends and all the Muslims we can about the great virtues and benefits of the greatest Ayah of the Glorious Qur’an!