/* */

PDA

View Full Version : post the best exotic drinks of your regions

جوري
07-06-2009, 06:56 AM
I just learned from bro Imam the name of a famous drink my mom makes called karakade is called Roselle in English...

I am really interested in the drinks that are 'endemic' to your home town, which taste delicious..

Jazkoum Allah khyran

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
07-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Ooh, my parents drink that, I love its color.

In Syria we have a drink called 'sharab al loz', which literally translates to 'the almond drink'; I absolutely love it.

Here's a blog post that describes it, and how to make it, if anyone is interested. (click the photo)

Oh, I just saw your post in the other thread; sa7lab!! Ramadan drink indeed. Last Ramadan, every day on the walk home from taraweeh, there was a man selling sa7lab right outside the masjid, I'd occasionally buy some... Ahh, good times.

aadil77
07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
can't mess with mango juice, not exactly from my region but probably most popular over here, the mangos are from india/pakistan

indian - usually try to avoid anythin indian, incase of cow extracts+o((you never know!)

pakistani - quite thick but still nice

Güven
07-06-2009, 09:25 AM
in my hometown in Turkey, they have this famous drink called "Şalgam" (Turnip juice)

I love it :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
$tranger
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM

thats THE DRINK:thumbs_up - and it has to be in a GLASS bottle :X

S_87
07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
:sl:

a drink called 'mauby/mawbi' it is bitter in a weird way but tastes nice super cold on a hot day. i dont even know what it i, its bark from a tree or something

and my fave drink is called a 'fruti' drink, cant find a pic online but last time we brought a suitcase full of that back to england. and the time before. and probably next time :lol:

and i think for indian drinks- mango lassi which is yoghurt,mango juice, cream, sugar and cardamom

Musaafirah
07-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Though Mango juice is THE best.

Tony
07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Strong yorkshire tea with sugar and milk, ay lad the stuff o champions

convert
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Take about a cup or so of sugar and throw in some iced tea. Southern Style Sweet Tea.

Pink Lemonade is pretty solid too.

Layla454
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Ice tea tastes pretty nice. Theres lemon, peach and other kinds. Yumm

Muezzin
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Pickings are pretty slim in the UK. On the other hand, you can find these cartons of fruity goodness down the supermarket. Once upon a time, the most exotic fruit in the whole of the British Isles were bananas.

I wonder if any countries consider potatoes exotic vegetables…

Tony
07-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Gooseberry fool hmm mmm. not in the Mr T sense tho

- IqRa -
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Asab - Fresh Sugar Cane Juice

Muezzin
07-06-2009, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A

Sugar cane juice?!

That is, as they say on the Internet, full of win.

- IqRa -
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Sahlab - Egyptian Spiced Drink - Popular Winter Drink

S_87
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A

mmmmm cane juice is nice, but have to drink fresh

and i like coconut water fresh from the coconut..slit open the top with one of those big knives and drink:

Layla454
07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
mmmmm cane juice is nice, but have to drink fresh

and i like coconut water fresh from the coconut..slit open the top with one of those big knives and drink:

I've had that coconut water and its really refreshing, especially on a hot day

ardianto
07-06-2009, 04:53 PM
From Sundanese region, Indonesia : Bandrek

It's made from coconut, ginger and palm sugar.

alcurad
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
^I want to drink ALL of Them O_O

Imam
07-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Nice idea for thread.sis Gossamer
:)

drinks in Egypt are classified into hot or cold

Egyptians are addicted to to Tea winter or summer .... though I don't drink it....
the hot drinks include:

1-Tea

2- Fenugreek

3/Sahalab

3-Anise

4- Cinnamon

5-Caraway

6-Peppermint

the cold drinks

1-Karkade (though could be hot too)

2- 4-Liquorice

My favorite cold drink comes from the most delicious fruit Allah ever created (Mango)

but be careful... not all Mangos the same...

I tried the Brazilian and found it not tasty at all.....

The Egyptian Mango is the most delicious all over the world(lots of testimonies about that) and the indian pakistani too.........

My favorite hot drink is Sahlab !.....:)

جوري
07-06-2009, 05:08 PM
I really loved the response here, Jazkoum Allah khyran.. I am curious to the recipes of the odd ones..
btw what is sa7lab, I used to run away when they offered me that, I always thought in my mind that it came from some stray animal :lol: just sounds nasty ...

Ansariyah
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Avacado Milk'Shake...
Avacado+Milk+Sugar (mix it up in ur mixer).

Yum!

جوري
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
in my hometown in Turkey, they have this famous drink called "Şalgam" (Turnip juice)

I love it :statisfie
that sounds really odd, turnip juice? is it sweet?

a drink called 'mauby/mawbi' it is bitter in a weird way but tastes nice super cold on a hot day. i dont even know what it i, its bark from a tree or something

what is this drink made out of?

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
From Sundanese region, Indonesia : Bandrek

It's made from coconut, ginger and palm sugar.

this one sounds pretty exotic.. do you guys have recipes for those?

Güven
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
that sounds really odd, turnip juice? is it sweet?
Yeh It sounds odd but it´s really good.

no it´s not sweet at all, It´s SPICY , bitter and a little sour...I guess.

alcurad
07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
the most famous drink right around here-middle of the desert- is Mizu, otherwise known as water ^_^ you could always add stuff to it though, so it's pretty versatile.

heh, actually there's this one called Sobia, never drank it though, they sell it around amadan.

Woodrow
07-06-2009, 05:29 PM
In the past few months my tastes have been developing towards the old traditional native American foods and beverages. The favorite drinks of the Native americans were/are various tree saps and berry juices. along with some infusions similar to herbal teas. My favorites are Birch sap which comes from the white birch tree. It is a clear watery sap, slightly sweet with a taste of wintergreen. My next favorite is Sumac tea made from the berries of staghorn sumac.

You fill a pot with the berry cluster, cover with water, boil about 30 minutes kind of stir and mash the berries. Strain through cheese cloth and sweeten to taste with maple sugar. Quite tasty. Sort of a fruity lemon aide flavor. You can drink it either hot or chilled.

Imam
07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
btw what is sa7lab, I used to run away when they offered me that, I always thought in my mind that it came from some stray animal :lol: just sounds nasty ...
Sahlab is a popular winter drink in Egypt in cafes, as well as in homes.

The beverage is a thick creamy white hot drink.

The main ingredient is the Salep, which is a white flour like powder obtained from the dried tubers of a wild orchid, Orchis mascula.

The flour is used in other Turkish cooking, such as the thick dondurma icecream.

The main ingredient in the flour is mucilage, which gives sahlab its thick characteristic.

In Egypt, salep powder is kept and used for years. However, in Turkey, it is seasonal, and consumption of last year's crop after the new year's crop is out is frowned upon, much like the kastana (Marron glace).

Ingredients

* 4 teaspoons Sahlab (salep) powder
* 2 glasses milk
* Sugar to taste

Cooking Instructions

* Add the salep and sugar to some cold milk and mix well.
* Bring the rest of the milk to a boil.
* Reduce heat to low, then add the salep/milk mixture.
* Wait until the mixture thickens.
* You can garnish by adding shredded coconuts, crushed nuts, or a pinch of cinnamon.
* Serve hot.

format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
ctually there's this one called Sobia, never drank it though, they sell it around amadan.

I forgot about Sobia,it is there in Egypt too :)

1 cup grated coconut
1 ltr milk
1/4 kilo sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup rice starch

soak coconut in milk for 1 hour, add sugar , vanilla, and rice starch and blend in blender! Enjoy.

S_87
07-06-2009, 05:53 PM

what is this drink made out of?
Mauby is a type of tea or syrup made on many Caribbean islands that has a distinct flavor that some say approaches root beer in taste. Unlike root beer, mauby, which can also be spelled mabi, maby, and mavi, tends to have a very bitter aftertaste. People who love the drink say the taste is an acquired one, but still quite refreshing. It’s by far one of the most popular beverages in the Caribbean, attesting that many people acquired a liking for the drink in childhood. On the other hand, many visitors to the Caribbean also quickly become fans as well.

The drink or syrup for the drink is made by boiling a specific buckthorn bark, Colubrina elliptica, with sugar and a variety of spices. In looking at individual recipes on how people make mauby, you’ll note spices and flavorings vary exceedingly. Cinnamon is usually included, but then the drink flavoring diverges according to recipe. Some people add cloves, anise, vanilla extract, or cola flavoring. Many suggest you must add

ardianto
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM

this one sounds pretty exotic.. do you guys have recipes for those?
Honestly, I don't know about Bandrek recipe. I'm always buy, not make :D
It ingredients are water, ginger, palm sugar and coconut milk. But don't use coconut milk too much. If water is 500ml, coconut milk must less than 75ml. And don't use sugar from sugar cane. You can add cinamons or clove if you like. Serve hot.

Gubbleknucker
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I make peppermint iced tea from mint plants I grow in the garden.

I live in a mountain town that really hasn't been around long enough to develop its own drinks.
I'm partial to the local coffee shop's Italian sodas, however.

جوري
07-06-2009, 08:53 PM
btw even though I haven't quoted each one of you individually, I am immensely appreciative of your feedback and recipes on this thread... I am just out of reps :X

Jazakoum Allah khyran

جوري
07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
btw what is 'moghat' I believe that is what they call it, I heard it is given to women after they give birth?

Sarada
07-07-2009, 01:44 AM
My favourite drink is made in a juicer, it's my own recipe, but it contains fresh carrot juice, fresh pineapple juice, and fresh ginger .

Imam
07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
btw what is 'moghat'

Moghat is very strong drink and contains lots of nourishment...

it is either original from the plant (Glossostemon bruguieri) Moghat

or from Fenugreek ,buffalo butter,coconut etc....

http://forum.hawahome.com/t117411.html

some people even make from the same components cakes

http://www.uaeec.com/vb/t139424.html

thin women have it in order to get a little fat....:)

جوري
07-08-2009, 02:37 PM
^^ with that I'd imagine they'd get alot fat lol

Jazaka Allah khyran

Muhaba
07-09-2009, 03:48 AM
a hot cup of tea with milk, sugar, and cream. delicious!

جوري
07-09-2009, 04:07 AM
are there any southerners who can tell me about mint juleps that is non-alcoholic?

Mawaddah
07-09-2009, 04:51 AM
I absolutely LOVE soya cincau (pronounced chinchau)drink, popular in Malaysia :

It's soya milk with seaweed jelly in it.

And then we have cendol (chendol) :

It's basically fresh coconut milk with shaved ice, palm sugar, beans (sometimes kidney beans sweetened) and strands of green cendol which is rice flour mixed with pandan (screwpine leaf) juice, hence the green color, and shaped to look like strands.........It is SO delicious on a sweltering hot Malaysian afternoon...

Then Laichee Kang (sp?). It's yummy too, basically a herb concoction with different dried fruits and things all boiled up and served hot over ice..delish

And lots and lots of others....we're spoilt for choices here in Malaysia

جوري
07-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Masha'Allah that is really interesting sr. mawaddah ..
I can always count on the Malaysians to beat everyone else in exoticness lol

Jazaki Allah khyran

جوري
07-09-2009, 05:05 AM
btw your blog looks beautiful... what is the name of those decorativewriting instruments in the far corner of your page.. I'd like to purchase something similar..

Layla454
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
are there any southerners who can tell me about mint juleps that is non-alcoholic?
I've never heard of the non-alcoholic ones, the only ones I have heard of consist of vodka or bourbon

ardianto
07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Sister Mawaddah,
Seaweed jelly is not Cincau but Agar-agar.
Cincau is made from Cincau leaves that processed as jelly.
There are two kinds of Cincau. Green Cincau (pure Cincau) and Black Cincau that mixed with flour. Cincau in your post is Black Cincau.

Laichee kang is Lychee and other fruits.

Cincau, Cendol and Laichee were originated from China.

sister herb
07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
In Finland, this is what we like at summer:

mansikkamaito (strawberrymilk)

Easy to make; you need:

cold milk
strawberries (I prefer wild ones)
sugar

:p

Hayaa
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Chai

+

Ritz

=

:wub:

aadil77
07-09-2009, 07:08 PM
How can you have salted crackers with tea?^ it has to be digestives and nice biscuits

Hayaa
07-10-2009, 03:19 AM
It probably sounds weird at first, but trust me, it's really good and addicting. :thumbs_up

syilla
07-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Sister Mawaddah,
Seaweed jelly is not Cincau but Agar-agar.
Cincau is made from Cincau leaves that processed as jelly.
There are two kinds of Cincau. Green Cincau (pure Cincau) and Black Cincau that mixed with flour. Cincau in your post is Black Cincau.

Laichee kang is Lychee and other fruits.

Cincau, Cendol and Laichee were originated from China.
erm... i think ly chee kang is not made from lychee... it is actually herbs contain barlee too but not necessarily it has lychee in it. but i preferably longan.

This is malaysia famous air batu campur...or popular known as ABC drink

made from crushed iced and sprinkle with attap chee (palm seed), red beans, sweetcorn, grass jelly, cubes of agar agar and cendol and peanuts.
and poured on it sweet flavoured syrups

I just love soursop drink

this is the durian drink

2785932775 4c51d825bb 1?v0 -

i also love apple jeruk drink (which i don't really know what is asam boi... a fruit pickle (don't ask me what fruit it is)

جوري
07-10-2009, 03:46 AM
wow syilla that looks positively scrumptious mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

when will you invite me over and make me that rainbow drink? :haha:

north_malaysian
07-10-2009, 03:59 AM
From Malaysia:

"Sirap Bandung"

Red-coloured Syrup mix with milk, some people put "cincau" in.

"Teh Tarik"

Tea with milk, "tarik" means pulling because when the tea is prepared the maker would "pull" the tea using two mugs.. there are "tarik" competitions in Malaysia where skillful Teh Tarik makers would dance and show tricks of doing the "pulling" act.

"Dragonfruit Juice"

Just pure dragonfruit (sugar is not needed as the fruit is too sweet)

جوري
07-10-2009, 04:01 AM
you got to tell me something about those drinks akhi? lol..
I am glad I started this thread.. I think maybe the oddest thing still here is the turnip juice but that was certainly outdone by the malay drinks..
I don't even recognize these fruits..

north_malaysian
07-10-2009, 04:12 AM
you got to tell me something about those drinks akhi? lol..:w:
ok.. edited.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKdP...eature=related

How to "pull" your tea! (has music)

جوري
07-10-2009, 04:16 AM
how do I buy this? I am dying to try it now.. can you describe the taste?
http://www.orient-shopping.com/Bever...uice-Iceberry/

جوري
07-10-2009, 05:44 AM
that dude in the video is a pro, and I really like his affect, seems like a likable animated fellow..

Ali_008
07-10-2009, 06:01 AM

Its called the Falooda, quite similar to the more popular Lassi.

جوري
07-10-2009, 06:10 AM
what is falooda made out of?

Mawaddah
07-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Ya Allah Kak syilla air durian??????? I dont think I could stomach that no matter how much I adore the fruit.....

syilla
07-10-2009, 07:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
From Malaysia:

"Sirap Bandung"

Sirap bandung will taste nicer when you put ice cream soda in it... and also some put biji selasih which i think it is call basil seeds.

Nyum nyum nyum... aww...i'm getting thirsty...

Ok here i found the recipe to make leng chee kang.

50g barley grains
50g sago grains
60g lotus seeds
60g gingko nuts
1/2 dried persimmon, slice thinly
150g sweet potatoes
50g dried nutmeg
100g peanut split
20 agar-agar strands, cut into 3cm length
Syrup
400g rock sugar
200g castor sugar
1 1/2 cup dried longans

Method :

Take out the bitter center from the lotus seeds. Soak barley, sago, lotus seed, gingko nut and agar-agar strands in separate containers. Boil all ingredients separately. Drain well. Keep in a separate bowl. Boil castor sugar and rock sugar together with dried logans and 15 cups of water for about 40 minutes until logans are soft and tender.

To serve - Put a little of everything mentioned above in a bowl and pour in hot syrup. On a hot day, this dessert can also be taken cold with crushed ice.

Serves 4-5

transition?
07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Sugar cane juice?!

That is, as they say on the Internet, full of win.
Unfortunately, it;s not the right season right now. : (

They have sugar cane juice in India. My grandpa owns a sugarcane farm. Yet, that didnt stop my 9 yr old sister dragging my family to the farms. It's her neverending quest to find available sugar cane this month before we leave.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah4ever.

Chai

lol chai. you need Marie or Parle G biscuits instead. :P

north_malaysian
07-10-2009, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Sirap bandung will taste nicer when you put ice cream soda in it... and also some put biji selasih which i think it is call basil seeds.

Nyum nyum nyum... aww...i'm getting thirsty...
Ice cream soda? never try it with Sirap Bandung before... Ramadan is coming... gallons of sirap bandung would be served all over the nation..

transition?
07-10-2009, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008

Its called the Falooda, quite similar to the more popular Lassi.

Falooodaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It's made differently in so many places though.

north_malaysian
07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Ya Allah Kak syilla air durian??????? I dont think I could stomach that no matter how much I adore the fruit.....
as a Durian-hater... +o(

do you know that there are cendol sellers who mixed durian juice with coconut milk for cendol?:exhausted

Güven
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
From Malaysia:

"Sirap Bandung"

"Teh Tarik"

Tea with milk, "tarik" means pulling because when the tea is prepared the maker would "pull" the tea using two mugs.. there are "tarik" competitions in Malaysia where skillful Teh Tarik makers would dance and show tricks of doing the "pulling" act.

"Dragonfruit Juice"

Just pure dragonfruit (sugar is not needed as the fruit is too sweet)

wow those look delicious.
Malaysia has the best looking drinks!

I always wanted to try a dragonfruit.

even the name sounds awesome ....Dragonfruit :ooh:

S_87
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
what is falooda made out of?
the main thing is a red sugar/rose syrup and milk but different things can be added like ice cream/and some other stuff i dont know the name of :? its a v cooling drink.

north_malaysian
07-11-2009, 03:48 AM
the main thing is a red sugar/rose syrup and milk but different things can be added like ice cream/and some other stuff i dont know the name of :? its a v cooling drink.
ice cream in "sirap bandung" ... so sweet.. lol

try drinking coconut water with vanilla ice cream.... yummy... it's called as "Coconut Shake" in Penang.

north_malaysian
07-11-2009, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
wow those look delicious.
Malaysia has the best looking drinks!

I always wanted to try a dragonfruit.

even the name sounds awesome ....Dragonfruit :ooh:

Dragonfruits

Originated from Vietnam.. now grown in Malaysia and so popular here especially during Chinese New Year.

The trees are even weird... (this plant is a species of cactus..)

جوري
07-11-2009, 04:14 AM
wow.. looks even weirder from the inside...

جوري
07-11-2009, 04:20 AM
I am crazy to try a bite and a sip of this now.. blasted pictures..so enticing..

north_malaysian
07-11-2009, 04:25 AM
More from Malaysia

Jus Tembikai dan Laici
(Watermelon juice with lychees)

Milo Ais

In Malaysia, all chocolate powder drinks are called as Milo. "Milo" is the most popular brand of Nestle dominating the chocolate drink market in Malaysia.

Neslo Ais

Nescafe coffee mixed with milo and milk.

NEScafe + miLO = NESLO

north_malaysian
07-11-2009, 04:28 AM
wow.. looks even weirder from the inside...

just take a spoon and scoop those fruits... taste heavenly...

جوري
07-11-2009, 04:33 AM
just take a spoon and scoop those fruits... taste heavenly...
I'd love to but my spoon keeps hitting the screen :p

north_malaysian
07-11-2009, 04:40 AM
I'd love to but my spoon keeps hitting the screen :p
LOL.... :D

i heard that the Vietnamese export these dragonfruits to USA.. maybe you should check Asian stores..

the red flesh dragonfruits are more popular than the white ones... but both taste the same..

ardianto
07-11-2009, 05:16 AM
I must ask moderator how to reply posts with multiple qoute ?.

Okay, back to topic.

To Syilla :
Air Batu Campur (ABC drink) in Indonesia is Es Campur (Mixed Ice). In Indonesian dialect Air Batu Campur means 'Mixed Stone Water'. :D

To north_malaysian :
What's do they mean with 'Sirap Bandung' ?. I am living in Bandung, Indonesia, but I don't know what is that. I remember when I was in Yogyakarta, my friend told me "Mixed fruit named Rujak Bandung is delicious". Of course I was counfused because I never heard about Rujak Bandung.

Teh Tarik and it 'cousin' Kopi (cofee) Tarik are popular in Aceh.

Jus Tembikai (Watermelon) and Lai Chee ?. Dragon Fruit Juice ?. I never found those juices in Indonesia. But I think I must try to make those juices. Oops, almost forget, in Indonesian dialect Tembikai is Semangka.

And if you hate Durian, you can drink Cendol that mix with jackfruit.

transition?
07-11-2009, 05:52 AM
To multi quote you just go to the post you want to quote and on the right of the quote button and left of the downwards pointing double arrow, there is a button with a paper. click it for all the posts you want to quote. and then it'll hold the quote for those posts until you press new reply.

ardianto
07-11-2009, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
To multi quote you just go to the post you want to quote and on the right of the quote button and left of the downwards pointing double arrow, there is a button with a paper. click it for all the posts you want to quote. and then it'll hold the quote for those posts until you press new reply.
Thank sister, I will try it in another post reply.:)

north_malaysian
07-11-2009, 12:04 PM

To Syilla :
Air Batu Campur (ABC drink) in Indonesia is Es Campur (Mixed Ice). In Indonesian dialect Air Batu Campur means 'Mixed Stone Water'. :D
In the northern region of Malaysia, we call it as "Ais Kacang" (Beans Ice)

To north_malaysian :
What's do they mean with 'Sirap Bandung' ?. I am living in Bandung, Indonesia, but I don't know what is that. I remember when I was in Yogyakarta, my friend told me "Mixed fruit named Rujak Bandung is delicious". Of course I was counfused because I never heard about Rujak Bandung.
I've heard that you cant find "Sirap Bandung" (Bandung syrup) and "Mee Bandung" (Bandung Noodle) in Bandung ... lol .. you can only find those in Malaysia... why both have "Bandung" in the names.. Only God knows that... :D

Teh Tarik and it 'cousin' Kopi (cofee) Tarik are popular in Aceh.
wow...

Jus Tembikai (Watermelon) and Lai Chee ?.
I think we have the juices of every single tropical and non-tropical fruits in Malaysia .. and we love to mix 2,3 fruits in drink... (well we cant drink alcohol.. that's why we have to create zillions kind of non-alcoholic beverages)

Dragon Fruit Juice ?. I never found those juices in Indonesia.
We dont know what was dragonfruit just 10 years ago... we started importing dragonfruits from Vietnam for Chinese New Year.. and then someone managed to plant this fruit in Malaysia... now we have hundreds of dragonfruit plantations nationwide....

if you hate Durian, you can drink Cendol that mix with jackfruit.
in Malaysia, usually people add red beans and glutinous rice (sticky rice/nasi pulut) in cendol... but I prefer the plain cendol...

Woodrow
07-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Going slightly off topic here. Just have to mention this. In the past two weeks I had to spend some time up in Fargo. My wife was a patient in the VA hospital for a week. (I did not mention it on the open forum as she has some dear friends here she did not want to worry them) Anyhow she is well now and we hd a nice stay in Fargo, while there we found an Asian store (IN FARGO???) they have an unbelievable selection of fresh fruits from Malaysia and Indonesia we went crazy and have stuffed ourselves with fresh lychees. Anyhow we found one of my favorite drinks that I had not had in years Xung Xao Ong (Honey flavor Grass Jelly Drink)

Unbelievably they had fresh Durian air lifted in daily. It is a very popular seller here, FARGO of all places. Also Durian ice cream, puddings and cookies. No I did not buy any, I am not a durian fan. Anyhow we fell in love with the store and decided it is worth the 200 mile trip to do our grocery shopping there from now on.

Cabdullahi
07-11-2009, 02:40 PM
my exotic drink would be.....that green stuff from the grocery supposed to be apple.........i think the ingredients were sugar,water and green

north_malaysian
07-12-2009, 01:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Anyhow we found one of my favorite drinks that I had not had in years Xung Xao Ong (Honey flavor Grass Jelly Drink)
If I'm not mistaken, "Grass Jelly" is the "Cincau"... in Mandarin (Xung Xao), in Hokkien (Cin Cau)... try putting that in soybean milk... tasty!!

they had fresh Durian air lifted in daily. It is a very popular seller here, FARGO of all places. Also Durian ice cream, puddings and cookies.
Daily? there must be so many Southeastern Asians and Chinese in Fargo! Now, it's durian season in Malaysia (in Indonesia it ended months ago) ... I wonder if those durians came from Malaysia or Thailand.. :p

syilla
07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
how could i forget... coconut shake!!!!

just blend it with ice, milk and coconut and top it with ice cream ...thats yummy.

2895781170 0b8ab835ce 1?v0 -

we also have teh halia tarik (milk tea added ginger - however we have to pull it from one cup to another to make the bubbles...hehe- i'm very bad with words)

2429063626 62d516ae3b 1?v0 -

north_malaysian
07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
how could i forget... coconut shake!!!!
my favourite is at the food court beside the Fort Cornwallis..

Woodrow
07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, "Grass Jelly" is the "Cincau"... in Mandarin (Xung Xao), in Hokkien (Cin Cau)... try putting that in soybean milk... tasty!!

Daily? there must be so many Southeastern Asians and Chinese in Fargo! Now, it's durian season in Malaysia (in Indonesia it ended months ago) ... I wonder if those durians came from Malaysia or Thailand.. :p
We also bought a bunch of these puddings there we got 8 different flavors plus several packages of assorted flavors all different.

I just read on the back of the package they are made by KEE WEE HP KEE FOOD MFT. PTE. LTD. (MALAYSIA)

I also just noticed that the packaged fruits we bought, bananas, lychees, coconuts and logans also have Produce of Malaysia stickers on them

- IqRa -
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM

This is so delicious...I'm not sure whether it is of Indian of Pakistani origin.

syilla
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
We also bought a bunch of these puddings there we got 8 different flavors plus several packages of assorted flavors all different.

I just read on the back of the package they are made by KEE WEE HP KEE FOOD MFT. PTE. LTD. (MALAYSIA)

I also just noticed that the packaged fruits we bought, bananas, lychees, coconuts and logans also have Produce of Malaysia stickers on them
yup we have lots of them here... :statisfie

you should try nata de coco too... you can make drinks from it :statisfie

north_malaysian
07-14-2009, 05:45 AM

Mangosteen!!!!! my favourite!!!!! Mangosteens are available in Durian season too... so .. as other people are eating the durians... I eat the mangosteens...

north_malaysian
07-14-2009, 05:46 AM
yup we have lots of them here... :statisfie

you should try nata de coco too... you can make drinks from it :statisfie
you can put it in banana split or in puddings too..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-03-2011, 05:17 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

nice thread!

~ Sabr ~
05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
:salamext:

images?qtbnANd9GcTzCDBd0IbezTC6Fes8u3u5Ah8CKk 3NbzVXBTZtrx0H4Dtfo73Jr40BNQAww -

I could just die for a glass right now....

Eric H
05-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

The most exotic drink in our area is a glass of water from the tap, sadly about ten percent of the world's population does not have direct access to this exotic drink.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people.

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.