/* */

PDA

View Full Version : China vows to crush unrest in Xinjiang

Güven
07-06-2009, 06:38 PM

China vows to crush unrest in Xinjiang

China has vowed to crush any unrest in its far West after violent clashes left 156 dead and threatened to destabilise the region.

By Peter Foster in Urumqi and Malcolm Moore in Shanghai
Published: 6:26PM BST 06 Jul 2009

Riot in Urumqi: The disturbances come after a year of rising tensions between the dominant Han Chinese authorities and the Uighur ethnic.

Senior government officials said they would tighten Beijing's control on the troubled desert province of Xinjiang after riots in Urumqi threatened to spill over into other cities.

Wang Lequan, a senior member of the Politburo and party secretary of the region, said running battles between Muslim Uighurs and the Chinese police had been "a profound lesson learned in blood".

He promised the authorities would "take the most resolute and strongest measures to deal with the enemies' latest attempt at sabotage".

Xinhua, the state newswire, said the attacks were a "pre-empted, organised violent crime, instigated and directed from abroad and carried out by outlaws in the country."

Last year, the government launched a strike-hard campaign in Xinjiang after a series of attacks on policemen ahead of the Olympic games. The suppression included the closing of mosques and markets in some cities, and increased surveillance of Uighurs.

Wang spoke as there were reports of violence spreading with witnesses claiming several hundred rioters had fought with police in Kashgar, the second-largest Uighur city.

People's Liberation Army trucks were spotted arriving in Kashgar yesterday evening. Mobile phone and internet communications had also been cut across several cities to prevent any attempts at another co-ordinated protest.

Uighur activists accused the Chinese authorities of machine-gunning protesters in the streets. Dilxat Raxit, a spokesman for the World Uighur Congress in Exile, said the police had opened fire on the crowd when it reached the local government offices.

"Around 5pm on Sunday afternoon, several thousand Uighurs including workers, students and some Urumqi citizens started a peaceful protest, demanding that the government should stop discrimination, stop importing cheap Uighur labour to work on the mainland and a fair inquiry into the murder of two workers.

"They were carrying banners and slogans, they marched towards the municipal government's building. The government tried to stop them and asked the protesters to disperse and go home, but the protesters refused. An hour later, around 6pm military forces started to show up and they used machine guns to shoot randomly at Uighurs on the street. At least 150 people died in the firing."

He added that the authorities had conducted door-to-door searches and arrested 1,000 Uighurs.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Salaam

typical china - May Allah swt help the muslims in china.

peace

Layla454
07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Whenever something happens in Tibet, the whole world is up in arms. But if something happens in Xinjiang, nothing is said.

Trumble
07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Layla454
Whenever something happens in Tibet, the whole world is up in arms. But if something happens in Xinjiang, nothing is said.
Hardly. Tibet tends to get more publicity principally because of the high profile of the Dalai Lama, and because more people have heard of it. Still, though, nothing actually gets done as people are too afraid of upsetting the Chinese.

Here, though, we must seek unity not division. The Tibetan and Uighur people suffer under the same oppressors, and their struggle to maintain their cultural identity and tradition should be considered a common one.

BTW, this is a pretty big story on BBC.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Layla454
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Hardly. Tibet tends to get more publicity principally because of the high profile of the Dalai Lama, and because more people have heard of it. Still, though, nothing actually gets done as people are too afraid of upsetting the Chinese.

Here, though, we must seek unity not division. The Tibetan and Uighur people suffer under the same oppressors, and their struggle to maintain their cultural identity and tradition should be considered a common one.

BTW, this is a pretty big story on BBC.
Thats exactly my point. Having the Dalai Lama as a spiritual figure should not result in one cause being of more importance than the other. The way to get more people to be aware of Xinjiang is for the media to make more of an issue of it, which they don't.

BBCs coverage is shoddy to say the least.

Woodrow
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Han Chinese protesters seek Muslim Uighur targets

By Chris Buckley Chris Buckley – 1 hr 10 mins ago
URUMQI, China (Reuters) – Han Chinese armed with iron bars and machetes spilled down side streets and into the stairwell of an apartment building on Tuesday in looking for Muslim Uighur targets two days after bloody ethnic clashes killed 156 and wounded more than 1,000.

Chinese riot police used tear gas to try to break up protests in the capital of the Muslim region of Xinjiang and will enforce an overnight curfew to try to quell the violence in which many people were wounded. There were no immediate reports of deaths.

Hundreds of protesters from China's predominant Han ethnic group, many clutching meat cleavers, metal pipes and wooden clubs, smashed shops owned by Uighurs, a Turkic largely Islamic people who share linguistic and cultural bonds with Central Asia.

SOURCE

I wonder how many people recall any history from the late 1800s? At that time nearly 90% of all Muslims in China were slaughtered. In Many provinces 100% of the Muslims were slaughtered, yet in less than 100 years the Chinese Muslim Population bounced back.

Is History repeating itself?

The_Prince
07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
the sad thing about this is that Muslims really cant do anything about it, which shows the sad state of affairs that we are in. tut tut tut!!!!!!!!!!!! with all the natural resources and money we have, we should be the richest and most powerful nation on earth.

Trumble
07-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Having the Dalai Lama as a spiritual figure should not result in one cause being of more importance than the other.
Not more important, just a higher profile. You can hardly blame the Tibetans for producing a Nobel Peace laureate while the Uighurs (to my knowledge) have not.

BBCs coverage is shoddy to say the least.
The Chinese are even less enthusiastic about BBC reporters wandering the streets during civil turmoil than the Iranians. Coverage is no better anywhere else.

Layla454
07-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Not more important, just a higher profile. You can hardly blame the Tibetans for producing a Nobel Peace laureate while the Uighurs (to my knowledge) have not.

The Chinese are even less enthusiastic about BBC reporters wandering the streets during civil turmoil than the Iranians. Coverage is no better anywhere else.
It is higher profile which is incorrect. Nobel Prize or not - both are suffering.

Also, you're right - coverage in the mainstream isn't any better which tells its own story

Zafran
07-08-2009, 09:27 PM
why does everybody hate the BBC - maybe the British tax payer should get rid of it.

Trumble
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
why does everybody hate the BBC - maybe the British tax payer should get rid of it.
I always thought that was a pretty good sign; if all 'sides' think you are biased you are probably as far from being biased as is realistically possible.

Zafran
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I always thought that was a pretty good sign; if all 'sides' think you are biased you are probably as far from being biased as is realistically possible.
there reporting is weak post of them anyway. Never said anyone thought that they were bias but that they were hated all over the world.

Muslim Woman
07-09-2009, 01:02 AM
:sl:

What if the Uighurs were Christian Rather than Muslim?

By Glenn Greenwald

Muslims generally -- not just Al Qaeda -- replaced Communists as our New Enemy and became the new enabling force for our endless state of War and never-ending expansions of executive power.

Rather obviously, the Uighurs were swept into the Enemy category solely by virtue of their status as Muslims.

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22988.htm

Defenseless Uighurs Run for their Lives

Thousands of Han Chinese mobs, armed with bats and other weapons, are roaming the streets, hunting down Uighurs

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1247068385954&ampssbinarytrue -

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

KAding
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:

What if the Uighurs were Christian Rather than Muslim?
Would you have bothered to post about this if the Uighurs weren't Muslims?

bil_sal
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
The current crisis in Xinjiang was started by an incident in a toy factory in Guandong. You can watch it here: http://fromleedstopalestine.blogspot...t-sparked.html
I recommend everyone read up on the plight of the Uighur Muslims, the fact that they cannot practice Islam because of China makes their issue worse than a lot of issues in the muslim world.

PS: If you are a student in the UK, then join FOSIS's Uighur Muslims campaign throughout the year. We cannot abandon our brothers and sisters in China.

Muslim Woman
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Salaam/Peace ;

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Would you have bothered to post about this if the Uighurs weren't Muslims?
May be yes , may be no but how this is an issue ? I am not a working journalist . It's not my duty to report people about what is going on around the world . But the mainstream media normally ignore the news where Muslims are the victims ; but the same media love to condemn Islam when the alleged criminals are Muslims.

I read in Harun Yahya's book that Uighurs Muslims are not allowed to enter in to China's main land . In my country , if minority Hindus & Christians are banned in to entering Capital , I can't think how media will portrait my country ( a Muslim majority land) . But no media bother to condem Chinese Govt. for torturing Muslims like this.

Woodrow
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Now this has to be an interesting "Coincidence". I persoanally do not believe in coincendences and see all things as part of an overall plan.

BEIJING – More than 400,000 people have left their homes after an earthquake rocked southwestern China, killing one person and destroying thousands of houses, state media said Friday.

Thursday's magnitude-6.0 temblor, centered in Yunnan province's Yao'an county, also injured 325 others, 24 seriously, the Xinhua News Agency said
. SOURCE

malayloveislam
07-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I had read the news, very sad that the Uighurs were victimized in Guangdong first and their rights were denied. I do not want to condemn Han people but I think that they are too much. In my country pre-Independence, almost the same thing happen. When Red Communism based from China brutally killing muslims in my country after the Japs left. Even a muslim girl (now already a grandma) was absorbed with force into Chinese identity while she is a Malay and a Muslim. She was earlier shoot after she and her friends finished their washing in the waterfall near the jungle. I can't get the news, because I didn't save it. If not I could bring it here for international readers viewing.

Intisar
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
the sad thing about this is that Muslims really cant do anything about it, which shows the sad state of affairs that we are in. tut tut tut!!!!!!!!!!!! with all the natural resources and money we have, we should be the richest and most powerful nation on earth.
:sl: The same can be said about Palestine and Somalia. I mean, those two countries are practically surrounded by other Muslim countries, but look at them. They're still suffering. One country has zionists massacring them left and right with the support of the US, and the other has a bunch of warlords using the religion to get power.

It's a sad state of affairs. I was watching Chinese Muslims on TV being beaten simply for protesting, and their masajid being closed on Friday so they couldn't pray. I was actually quite aware of this since last Ramadan when they were shown on TV secretly fasting because the Chinese gov't was watching them. They are in my du'as.

uniteislam
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I am a Chinese Han Muslim and would like to comment.
Since I am both Chinese (Han) and a Muslim I feel I understand both sides.

I have a written a lot of articles about the subject of China, Islam and Xinjiang.

For now I will try and keep this short. Please do not believe the lies and propaganda in the media.

China is not cracking down on Muslims or targeting them. In fact Islam has had a long tradition in China, since the time of the Prophet (PBUH) and some of the oldest Mosques are in China, some are over 1200 years old.

All the reports and complaints for Muslims only come out of Xinjiang, why is this? There are Muslims, Mosques and Halal restaurants in every Chinese city, from the south to the north, including Beijing and Shanghai.

I am sad to say, I feel our Muslim brothers (Uighur's in Xinjiang) are lying. They are under the leadership of a terrorist named Rebiya Kadeer with links to the East Turkestan terrorist group.

I have confronted many Uighur's with my knowledge of Islam in China, and also how I was treated as a Muslim when visiting China.

They did not know I was a Muslim and tried to lie to me about the true situation.
If anyone wants more information I am glad to share it.

As a Muslim I feel obligated to tell the truth, although Muslims are abused in many countries, I do not think China is one of them. The media wants a reaction from Muslims and to destroy the long-standing relationship of Islam and China.

I am very sad that Uighur's attacked the Han's first, this is haram according to the Qur'an, and I am also sad that a group of Han's sought revenge and attacked some Uighur's.

Insha'Allah I hope the relationship between Islam and China will not be damaged, they do treat Muslims well in China and much better than in the west.

Muslim Woman
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Salaam;

format_quote Originally Posted by uniteislam
...our Muslim brothers (Uighur's in Xinjiang) are lying.

Why & How ? Do they have access in mainstream media ? How can use the world media in favour of them ????

If anyone wants more information I am glad to share it.
yes , pl. do . Let me know if the Uighur's Muslims are allowed to enter in to main land of China.

I am also sad that a group of Han's sought revenge and attacked some Uighur's.

Can u tell us how many Muslims are dead there so far by Police & opponent groups ?

they do treat Muslims well in China and much better than in the west

Can u give some examples how Muslims are better treated in China than in the west ?

malayloveislam
07-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I am sad to say, I feel our Muslim brothers (Uighur's in Xinjiang) are lying. They are under the leadership of a terrorist named Rebiya Kadeer with links to the East Turkestan terrorist group.
What about Mustafa Alp Takin who wrote the book, "Turkestan, Behind The Iron Veil"? He told us about how Turkestan was divided two after Soviet invasion and before the Eastern region being included into China and known as Xin Jiang (New Land) and in 1949 Han ethnic were brought into the region en mass while Western Turkestan became Uzbekistan. Most of the Han in Xinjiang are non-Muslim. I thought that Muslims of China are known as Hui??

uniteislam
07-16-2009, 06:11 PM
W'Salam

Sorry I don't know about the book you are mentioning, just my knowledge of the history of Islam and China and what I witnessed when visiting China.

Salaam;
Why & How ? Do they have access in mainstream media ? How can use the world media in favour of them ????
Yes, the media mainly took the side of the Uighur Muslims in this case. The foreign media was all over Xinjiang this time, although previously they were not, just as in Tibet.

yes , pl. do . Let me know if the Uighur's Muslims are allowed to enter in to main land of China.
Of course they are allowed to enter the mainland, who said they are not? I have been to the major cities in China, there are Uighur's everywhere, including large restaurants. Also remember, Uighur's are not the only ethnicity of Muslims. Especially in Xinjiang there are 13 different Ethnic Minorities, most of them are Muslims, but yet only the Uighur's are complaining.

http://uniteislam.com/Xinjiang_has_1...slamic-54-blog

Also, the Uighur's make up the majority in Xinjiang Province.

Can u tell us how many Muslims are dead there so far by Police & opponent groups ?
I don't know the numbers, but we must remember, it was the Uighur's who attacked and killed innocent Han civilians first.

If you are wondering, there were pictures on some Western Media sites, showing the police attacking some of the Han groups with teargas, to prevent them from getting to the Uighur's.

Can u give some examples how Muslims are better treated in China than in the west ?
Yes, I live in Canada and know how many Muslims have disappeared under "security certificates" and I was detained trying to enter the US and questioned about my religion (I have no criminal record).

In China on the Customs form I declared I was a Muslim, and I was never harassed or detained by any Chinese authorities.

Then as I mentioned, there are Mosques and Halal Restaurants everywhere in China. China has always preserved the Mosques, since ancient times.

The Uighur's claims just do not make any sense, there are Uighur's all over mainland China. Why was no protest organized in the rest of the country?

The answer is Rebiya Kadeer, she only wants the world to look at Xinjiang, otherwise it won't achieve her goals of an independent state.

Just a few interesting facts:

1.) The governor of Xinjiang Province is an Uighur
2.) Rebiya Kadeer claims Uighur's are abused, but do you know she was one of the richest people in all of China during her time? She was also elected to the Chinese National Assembly and made a UN delegate. How could a hate and oppressed Uighur Muslim business woman make a fortune if China hates all Muslims and all Uighur's as she says?
3.) Uighur's are exempt from China's one child policy, this is a huge thing.
4.) The Uighur's who started the protest and claimed it was done due to the factory incident in Shaoguan China, but in the fact the families of the 2 Uighur's killed said the protests are not connected to that event. The families even said they were happy with how the police handled it.

The Uighur's killed were flown home and given a same day burial by the government.
http://uniteislam.com/Victims_relati...k-406-articles
5.) Some Han Chinese started a lie about the factory incident that the 2 Uighur's were accused of rape. This was a lie and the Chinese government arrested them for starting this lie. If the government hates Uighur's and Muslims would they really arrest people for lying about this?

http://uniteislam.com/Rumormongers_e...l-408-articles

Muslim Woman
07-17-2009, 04:31 AM
Salaam;

Yes, the media mainly took the side of the Uighur Muslims in this case.

Normally media are anti-Islam . Why do u think , this time they took side of Muslims if they are the real culprit ?

The foreign media was all over Xinjiang this time, although previously they were not, just as in Tibet.
Why media were not allowed in Xinjiang in the past ?

Of course they are allowed to enter the mainland, who said they are not?
A Muslim Community Whose Ties with the Entire World have been broken: Uigur Turks in Eastern by Harun Yahya

...The rest of the world is unaware of the human rights atrocities committed by the communist Chinese regime against the Muslim ....

Right to exit or of access to the territories of this Turkic Muslim Community are simply denied

http://www.harunyahya.com/solutions01.php

Also, the Uighur's make up the majority in Xinjiang Province.

Muslim people who resisted the assimilation policies of China were brutally massacred ........People were buried alive and women raped… In 1953, Muslims represented 75% of the population while the Chinese made up 6%. In 1990, however, this state of affairs reversed in favour of the Chinese. The Chinese population constituted 53% while Muslim population fell to 40%.

These figures alone explain the dimensions of the genocide committed against the Muslims in Eastern Turkestan

http://www.harunyahya.com/solutions01.php

it was the Uighur's who attacked and killed innocent Han civilians first.
people belong to minority religion started riot...sounds illogical.

uniteislam
07-17-2009, 05:43 AM
W'Salam Muslim Woman.

The reason the media took the side of the Muslims this time (I agree, normally they are anti-Islam), is because they want to fool the world and fool Muslims. They want everyone to think China is the one abusing Muslims, to make you forget about Guantanamo Bay, Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine.

They are glad to hear Al-Qaeda threaten China instead of the US or Israel.

We already know Harun Yahya is incorrect, because there are large Uighur restaurants and populations all over the mainland.

I will not defend the old Chinese Policies, it was a different situation in 1953, which is what most people judge China by. The China of the last 20 years os completely different. Things are far different in China than 1953, so what Harun Yahya, wrote may have been true 56 years ago, but not today.

I don't know why people keep talking of a genocide in Xinjiang, for that to happen you need to be wiping out the population and killing them one by one. Although Han Chinese have moved to the area, no one is being forced from their homes or killed (perhaps except those committing violence and other crimes though). This is happening in many places from Darfur, to Palestine, but definitely not in Xinjiang, China.

Also remember that Uighur's are not the minority. In Xinjiang they are still the majority. There are 13 Ethnic groups in Xinjiang Province, most of them are Muslims, yet only Uighur's are complaining and only Uighur's committed the violence. There are also other Muslims known as Han and Hui in the mainland they are also not complaining.

As a Muslim I cannot support violent actions. You should know the China Islamic association also condemns their actions.

The video footage shows the Uighur's rioting, attacking civilians and destroying property and buses, so it is a fact that the Uighur's attacked.

One other thing you must remember is too look into Rebiya Kadeer's history, who many Uighur's call their leader.

This is not about Islam, but separatism, but Uighur's are using our religion as justification to kill innocent people to achieve their political objectives.

This is against the rules of the Qur'an on so many levels.

All I can do is show the facts, and the facts do not add up to what the Uighur's are claiming, so I cannot support them. I've been to China myself twice and I see Islam is very free in China and there are Mosques and Halal Restaurants all over.

======================

Some interesting comments:

Here is a comment from the Governor of Xinjiang who is also an Uighur:
=====================
“He said that history has proved on numerous occasions that stability is good fortune, and turmoil is disaster. During all periods when ethnic groups are unified, Xinjiang’s economic and social development has been swift, and the people of all ethinc groups have obtained numerous benefits. Conversely, during all periods when ethnic unity has been disrupted, this has led to social turmoil, stagnant development, and brought disaster and ruin to the people of all ethnic groups. The unity and social harmony and stability of the people of all ethnic groups encompasses the highest interests of the ethnic groups of the People’s Republic within Xinjiang’s population of over 21 million.”

Imam Abudurekefu Akhond of the China Islamic Assocation also denounced the violence and said: "Uygurs are well known for their hospitality. Those rioters are not representatives of the Uygur people," "The Islam creed advocates peace and harmony", he added. "Different ethnic groups should show respect to and learn from each other with mutual understanding."

Also interesting:

SHAOGUAN, Guangdong, July 6 (Xinhua) -- The Xinjiang Uygur workers injured in a toy factory brawl in south China's Guangdong Province condemned the riot in their hometown, where at least 156 people were killed.

"The rioters used our injuries as an excuse for their violence," said Atigul Turdi, 24, who was injured when she was running out of the scene of the fight on June 26 in Xuri toy factory in Shaoguan City, Guangdong. "I firmly opposed the violence in the name of taking revenge for us."
Comment from an Uighur opposed to the violence

The 23-year-old Uygur native Kad Raya was hit on the head in the riot. "I was on the bus after coming back from job markets. Rioters blocked the road, and someone beat my head with a stick when I was getting off the bus," she said.

"They have damaged my health and ruined my prospect to find a good job. I have no idea why the rioters claim to be pursuing happiness for us."

malayloveislam
07-17-2009, 07:23 AM
It is also make sense, maybe media are trying to fool Muslims to attack each other. I've seen many Chinese Muslims too in the varsity and most of them are the Huis but I don't see them mingle with non-Muslim Hans or with overseas Chinese here (Hua Qiao).

Also many Yunnanese came to our lands in the East Coast of Malayan Peninsula around 18th C, among them are the Ding family and local Muslims don't consider them as different people despite of the difference in ethnicity because of the similarity in religion. Some Hui Muslims in Northern Malaysian state of Penang from Guo clan too were absorbed into non-Muslim community when they can not find any Muslim there. Some of them don't even consume pork although not being Muslims anymore and they perform their ancestral worship without pork being served, showing their Muslim heritage.

http://koayjetty.tripod.com/

We still can see that the government of China today is trying to bridge good relationship with Muslims and Muslim countries. However certain policies in Xinjiang too seems favoring Hans the most while Hans had already inhabited vast regions in China from North to South. The problem won't happen if those Hans in Xin Jiang (Turkestan) are Muslims because Muslims are forbidden treating their brothers with maltreatment, Islam also taught Muslims, Hubbul Wathani (Loving the Motherland). Xin Jiang (Turkestan) was once a separate land from China and their people obviously speaking Turkic dialect.

I don't care what ethnicity is the Muslim in China or in elsewhere, I just hope that they can have their rights in their own region without disturbing or hurting others. If they are native Muslim Finnish, they should have the right on their region or their provinces or their villages. If they are native Muslim Japanese, they too should have right to live and getting chances and other opportunities equal to others in their country. Also if a group of Han people chosen to be Muslims, they shouldn't being chased from their villages and accused as stealing others land while they are already there before they embrace Islam. Religion should not be the barrier and a person choosing what to believe should not being blamed for what they wanted to practice.

I'm glad seeing a Muslim Han. I thought that you're a Hui, however it is OK. You represent Islam and Han ethnic and it is good if you could also create a thread about Islam in China to educate Muslims of other region about Islamic development in China. I may also help, because my country too have a significant number of Chinese population (Hua Qiao) and most of them are from Fujian and Guang Dong provinces in Southern China.

uniteislam
07-17-2009, 07:52 AM
malayloveislam, Alhamdulillah

Nice post, I am just trying to reach out to non-Muslim Chinese and also our Muslim brother's and sister's. I have had a good welcoming and response here. Unfortunately I have found in some other forums, that there are some Muslims with very extreme and uneducated views. Sometimes, I wonder if some people saying they are Muslims are really Muslims (not trying to declare anyone a Kafir), but there is a history of people committing acts while claiming they are Muslims (even though they are another faith).

For those who know the history of Islam in China, they will know that China does not oppress Islam. I was worried about this before visiting China, but had no trouble with the government and was able to visit the Mosques and Halal Restaurants freely.
There are also many Arab, Indian and Pakistani Muslims in China.

I do not know the details of working policy in Xinjiang. I have been told that in fact Uighur's do have opportunity and sometimes get preferential treatment compared to Han's. One thing I know is the separatist leader Rebiya Kadeer, made a fortune in Xinjiang, and I cannot understand how she was able to do this if Uighur's don't have opportunity.

I also agree, whether you are Japanese or Turkish etc, you should not be forced to lose your culture, and that in all countries everyone should have equal rights. One thing that makes me wonder about the language issue, is that on Chinese currency you can find several languages written on the currency, including Arabic.

One thing I say to Han's, is not to judge Muslims by the Xinjiang riots, and to Uighur's, not to judge Han's for the retaliation attacks. As Muslims we do not like to be blamed for the actions of other Muslims, and I know Han's don't want to be blamed for the actions of other Han's.

I believe there can be peace and unity, but that outside forces do not want this for China. What happened in Xinjiang in my opinion was an attack by foreign interests to destroy the image of China, and specifically China's relationship with Muslims abroad.

I will just say that in Canada I do not feel welcome as a Muslim, by some people and especially our government. You may know our Prime Minister is an Extremist Evangelist and does not hide his hate and racism for other people and faiths.

In China I was surprised to come back with my wife and we said "in China we are more free as Muslims and Islam in China is more free than in Canada".

Trumble
07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
The reason the media took the side of the Muslims this time (I agree, normally they are anti-Islam), is because they want to fool the world and fool Muslims. They want everyone to think China is the one abusing Muslims, to make you forget about Guantanamo Bay, Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine.
That would no doubt include Al Jazeera and even Press TV who have given the story just as much coverage, with much the same tilt, as the 'Western' media?

So what are the press supposed to do? Ignore the the story and they are condemned for doing so, and comparisons with Tibet abound. Report the story and we see posts like yours. Ever heard the phrase 'd*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't"!

uniteislam
07-17-2009, 08:02 AM
That would no doubt include Al Jazeera and even Press TV who have given the story just as much coverage, with much the same tilt, as the 'Western' media?

So what are the press supposed to do? Ignore the the story and they are condemned for doing so, and comparisons with Tibet abound. Report the story and we see paranoid nonsense like your post. Ever heard the phrase 'd*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't"!
Hi Trumble, I see what you are saying and I don't want a fight or argument here, but I don't appreciate the characterization as being paranoid. If the media normally reported the facts, and didn't spin things, exaggerate the truth and omit and add facts as they please, I would think your comment is valid, but there is no journalistic integrity anymore.

The media is known to be manipulated and spun in general, so I don't think it is paranoid to question what we read or why articles get spun a certain way.

As much as I often enjoy Aljazeera English, you should know that their primary source is the Associated Press, at least when I read their English website.

I never said the press should ignore the story, just that there is a great interest abroad in attacking China and it's relationship with Muslims.

Trumble
07-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi Trumble, I see what you are saying and I don't want a fight or argument here, but I don't appreciate the characterization as being paranoid.
No, sorry. I thought that was a bit strong and edited it out before seeing your reply.

Muslim Woman
07-30-2009, 01:24 AM
Salaam/Peace

W'Salam Muslim Woman.

The reason the media took the side of the Muslims this time (I agree, normally they are anti-Islam), is because they want to fool the world and fool Muslims.

Well , I hope you are right and Muslims or others are not facing any oppression in China :) . But when read news like this , it makes me wonder , what's really going on there ?? :(

China Disappeared Uighurs: Exiled Leader

Thousands of Uighurs have disappeared in one night following the recent deadly unrest in Muslim-majority Xinjiang region, an exiled leader of the Muslim minority said on Wednesday, July 29, blasting American silence for the "massacred" against her people.

"Close to 10,000 people in Urumqi disappeared in one night," Rebiya Kadeer, known as the "Mother of the Uighur nation", said during a three-day visit to Japan.

"Where did those people go?" she wondered.
"If they died, where did they go? If they are detained, where are they?"

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

jeff d
07-31-2009, 08:36 AM
This is Another atrocity committed against Muslims around the world :( I can't wrap my head around the idea of murdering out of fear/hate. It's just about the saddest thing there is. I talked once before about how many Muslims around the world are being silenced and left without a voice through violence, and this is another example of that. It is very disheartening, and I pray so much that the Chinese government will learn and practice tolerance for those who aren't just like them. Allah has made different people around the world for a reason. Of course I can't read God's mind, nor would I ever say that I would even try to, but I feel in my heart that Allah wants all of us to learn of each other, and practice peace and love of all the world and its differences. I will pray for the individuals lost in this horrible act. May Allah give them the peace now that they didn't have on earth. I will pray that the heart's of these murderous individuals will change, and let Allah's everlasting peace and love be within them. This is a sad day in the world. The worst thing is, is that I know that this is not the end of the violence and opression.

Argamemnon
08-07-2009, 04:05 AM
Christians burnt alive in Pakistan

Whenever Christians/non-Muslims are slaughtered in Muslim countries, we Muslims are silent like the hypocrites we are. Erdogan, the hypocrite who is supposed to be our "prime minister" didn't open his mouth about this tragic event. But he had the audacity to call the riots in China a "genocide", while in reality more Chinese were killed by Muslims.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.