/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I am having trouble focusing on my faith journey.

love_quran
07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I am having trouble focusing on my questions i need answers to before i take shahada. I am troubled espescially by my inability to focus on reading the Quran..any help with this would truly be appreciated.imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
What kind of questions do you have?

Snowflake
07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
InshaAllah brother!

Don't try to read too much at once. It is better to read a few verses at a time and understand their meaning than reading huge amounts and letting it go over your head. If that is not the problem then be a bit more specific and we will try to help you inshaAllah.

Banu_Hashim
07-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Ask your questions here. Maybe we can help :)

Don't try and read the whole Qur'an in one go! The Qur'an is not a novel. It's a book of guidance. Some surahs may be applicable for you in certain situations.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamicRevival
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by love_quran
I am having trouble focusing on my questions i need answers to before i take shahada. I am troubled espescially by my inability to focus on reading the Quran..any help with this would truly be appreciated.imsad
Do not listen to the whispers of shaytan as he is your worst enemy. If you can fight him off you will have no doubts in your own ability or anything. Stay strong and you will be fine

Any questions... Ask here

Eric H
07-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Greetings and peace be with you love_quran;

Scripture is intended to inspire you for life, if you live another fifty years, you will get the opportunity to read it a few more times yet. If you grasp it all this year, then what are you going to do for the next forty nine years?

The big challenge for me, is that when I read scriptures it always seems to be challenging me to change in some way, and that can be a struggle.

In the spirit of striving, always one day at a time

Eric

Caller الداعي
07-09-2009, 08:36 AM
i think u shud get in cntct wid a schlr and clear ur confusions here on the forum u get al sorts of ppl mstly unqualified copyng and pastng without much educ. On the topic. There r som learnd broz and sisz on here mashala

- IqRa -
07-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Go to a local Imam, and ask him the questions you have, Insha'Allah.

Al Ansari
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
There was good advice provided, but if there are any questions here you would like to post, inshaAllaah we we may be able to answer them for you.

And Allaah knows best.

Muhaba
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Do read the last surahs first as they are shorter and were mostly revealed first for the nonmuslims. The Surahs at the beginning of the Quraan, on the other hand, have laws related to Muslims and Islamic state and are much longer so take a lot of time to read.

Therefore read the last surahs first. You can read one Surah in little time and try to grasp the meaning. If the Surah is long or you have little time, then read only part of the Surah. There is no need to read for long amounts of time. Remember, the Quraan was revealed over 23 years so it's okay if you take your time.

You can read the surahs online at http://noblequran.com/translation/index.html . I prefer the Noble Quraan translation as it has been beautifully translated.

If you can get the commentary, then do read a few verses with commentary when you have time as it will help you understand the Quraan better as the Quraan was revealed according to circumstances. You can get Ibn Kathir's commentary or The meaning of the Quraan by Saeed Abu-Al Ala Maoududi's commentary. Contact your nearest Islamic center /bookstore for more information on how to get commentary. You can also read them online. (someone may be able to provide a link to a good commentary site.)

The Quraan is a very complex book as it not only contains guidance and stories of past nations but law as well, yet it is so easy to understand! If anyone has tried studying law, they will know how difficult it is to read codes of law, but the Quraan is not like ordinary law books. Being the Word of God, it is very easy to understand and one doesn't get bored from reading it!

Even still sometimes I find it hard to concentrate when reading the English translation. i don't have the same problem with the Arabic Quraan which is why I prefer to read/listen to the Arabic more than the English. If all new muslims could learn Arabic, it would help them see the awesome beauty of the Word of God for themselves. If you can listen to audio Quraan in Arabic with translation, it might be helpful. Again listen to last Surahs first, starting with Juz (part) 30 and going backward. Listen (or read) as long as you can concentrate. When you see yourself reading without focusing, then take a break for a while.

Another thing you can do is read surahs randomly. There is not need to read the Quraan from start to finish. Just choose any Surah from anywhere in the Quraan and read it (whole or part).

Hope that helped. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Banu_Hashim
07-10-2009, 05:43 AM
My cousin who lives in Saudi, came for a visit, and got a book for me; it's called "Methodical Interpretation of the Noble Qur'an (Part 30)"

By: Dr. Ahmad Nawfal

Scholarly Review by: Dr. 'Umar Al Ashqar

ISBN: 9789960594279

It's an excellent book for learning the meaning and tafsir (explanation) of surahs. It's devised for students at weekend or full time Islamic Schools, so has these exercise type questions at the end of each surah. The book above, is the last and 30th part. So there's other parts as well. It's excellent for learning ad teaching. Very easy to understand. I would really recommend buying this book.

It's a Darussalam publication.

Caller الداعي
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
bro as i said to clearup doubts u need to get incntact wid a learnd prsn

love_quran
07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
Do not listen to the whispers of shaytan as he is your worst enemy. If you can fight him off you will have no doubts in your own ability or anything. Stay strong and you will be fine

Any questions... Ask here
Besides Calling on Allah...how else do i fight shaytan?

love_quran
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
Do read the last surahs first as they are shorter and were mostly revealed first for the nonmuslims. The Surahs at the beginning of the Quraan, on the other hand, have laws related to Muslims and Islamic state and are much longer so take a lot of time to read.

Therefore read the last surahs first. You can read one Surah in little time and try to grasp the meaning. If the Surah is long or you have little time, then read only part of the Surah. There is no need to read for long amounts of time. Remember, the Quraan was revealed over 23 years so it's okay if you take your time.

You can read the surahs online at http://noblequran.com/translation/index.html . I prefer the Noble Quraan translation as it has been beautifully translated.

If you can get the commentary, then do read a few verses with commentary when you have time as it will help you understand the Quraan better as the Quraan was revealed according to circumstances. You can get Ibn Kathir's commentary or The meaning of the Quraan by Saeed Abu-Al Ala Maoududi's commentary. Contact your nearest Islamic center /bookstore for more information on how to get commentary. You can also read them online. (someone may be able to provide a link to a good commentary site.)

The Quraan is a very complex book as it not only contains guidance and stories of past nations but law as well, yet it is so easy to understand! If anyone has tried studying law, they will know how difficult it is to read codes of law, but the Quraan is not like ordinary law books. Being the Word of God, it is very easy to understand and one doesn't get bored from reading it!

Even still sometimes I find it hard to concentrate when reading the English translation. i don't have the same problem with the Arabic Quraan which is why I prefer to read/listen to the Arabic more than the English. If all new muslims could learn Arabic, it would help them see the awesome beauty of the Word of God for themselves. If you can listen to audio Quraan in Arabic with translation, it might be helpful. Again listen to last Surahs first, starting with Juz (part) 30 and going backward. Listen (or read) as long as you can concentrate. When you see yourself reading without focusing, then take a break for a while.

Another thing you can do is read surahs randomly. There is not need to read the Quraan from start to finish. Just choose any Surah from anywhere in the Quraan and read it (whole or part).

Hope that helped. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
I have read to the 19th Juz(sp?) and am reading the meaning of the Quran as well as the accompanying commentary in the Amana 11th edition of the A. Yusuf Al translation.

I do occasional read Surah's and ayats randomly and have had alot of positive experience with this as well.

Sari
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to say that don't assume or put pressure on yourself that you NEED to read and understand the whole Quran before you can be a Muslim. I think i have good imaan, but i have never read and understood the whole Quran, i have read it all the way through many times but i don't understand Arabic and it is not a necessity to understand it. InshaAllah one day i will read it all with translation and understanding, but it is more important to grasp the essentials of Islam, have imaan and let the rest come naturally.

GuestFellow
07-15-2009, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by love_quran
Besides Calling on Allah...how else do i fight shaytan?
I'm not sure. It comes down to will power I believe. If you constantly remember Allah, it should help fighting aganist the Shaytan. I try to remember Allah as much as I can. Always keep in mind Allah is watchig you. This is my way of fighting against the Shaytan.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.