/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Good non-Muslims in Paradise?

JustOne
07-10-2009, 04:58 AM
To the Muslim Community, Asalamu alaikum_

I have been religion “shopping” for the past couple years now and have been looking into scriptures, beliefs and practices of a multitude of religions, most recently of which- Islam. I am currently reading the Qu’ran and have been studying the history and practices of Islam, and much to my surprise, I have found a lot that I like, so some much so, that I have seriously been considering converting to Islam. I like the rituals and the heavy influence on social justice, the discipline and structure that Islam brings to a sometimes unorganized world, and most importantly the belief in no God but God, and considering the fact that I live in a primarily Christian country, the belief that God is incorporeal with no incarnations, is not popular.

Despite all that I find appealing about Islam, there is one thing in particular, which is not unique to this religion, that I struggle with, the belief that all non-Muslims, particular those that don’t believe in God, go straight to the hot box for eternity. This is an issue that is very personal to me considering my mother who was born and raised an atheist, seems to fit in the category of those that will be ****ed to eternity. My mother who couldn’t be a nicer person, has sacrificed much for many, she is a life long volunteer, is a charitable woman, and is all around a caring and kind soul. My problem is how can a God that claims to be merciful, forgiving, and all good, send someone like my mother to in eternity of hellfire, or for that matter someone like Gandhi, who was a polytheist, yet was probably one of the most peaceful persons on this earth, along with her? Wouldn’t God want people like those in Paradise with him? I say this knowing that this tends to be the view of not only Abrahamic religions, but most religions in general, that fact that if you don’t accept “my” religion you’re going to hell.

I ask this question because I really like a lot about the religion of Islam and I guess I am hoping there is different beliefs, leeway, maybe a different sect, or some sort answer to this, that maybe someone like my mother won't go to hell despite being who she is? Shouldn't being a good and caring person be enough?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rpwelton
07-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, if you did not believe in God and follow the religion He commanded or worshiped others besides Him in this life, you will not enter paradise.

It makes complete sense. Those who do good in this life simply for the sake of themselves or other humans will be rewarded by God in this world. However, how can you honestly expect to be rewarded by God in the next life if you either didn't believe in Him altogether, or insulted His greatness by taking partners besides Him.

EDIT: I just want to add that I confirm what Qatada says below. The above applies to those who have heard and rejected the message. For those who never heard of Islam, then surely God is Most Just and Most Merciful, and they will undergo a special test on the Day of Judgment which will determine their eternal abode.

_ALI_
07-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Salam JustOne
Let me give you an example. If you adopt a helpless child and you bring him up. You take good care of him and help him in every way. But when he becomes independent, he completely denies all your help and effort. He may be a good person but he says that you did nothing for him. Is it okay for him to do that? Similarly, God, who gave us everything and gave us a wonderful opportunity to go to heaven, if I completely deny that He did any of that, do I deserve heaven (even if I am a good person)?
A similar example has been given in the Quran.
100.001 وَالْعَادِيَاتِ ضَبْحًا
100.001 By the (Steeds) that run, with panting (breath),
Here God is telling us about horses. They run because their masters want them to run. They do that only because their owners give them food and water.
100.002 فَالْمُورِيَاتِ قَدْحًا
100.002 And strike sparks of fire,
These horses run so fast that their feet colide with each other, creating sparks. They run like crazy only because their masters want them to do so and they obey them because their masters provide them with food and water.
100.003 فَالْمُغِيرَاتِ صُبْحًا
100.003 And push home the charge in the morning,
At that time and place, morning raids were very convenient. Many tribes of Arabia earned their living by raiding and the best time to raid was morning. God is again stressing here that a horse fearlessly runs into the enemies' camp, risking his own life just because his master wants him to do so.
100.004 فَأَثَرْنَ بِهِ نَقْعًا
100.004 And raise the dust in clouds the while,
The speed of the gallopping horse raises a cloud of dust.
100.005 فَوَسَطْنَ بِهِ جَمْعًا
100.005 And penetrate forthwith into the midst (of the foe) en masse;-
Now imagine you are gallopping on a horse at full speed towards the enemies' army. They have their spears arranged pointing towards you which will resist your offence. It is a suicide mission for your horse, which will get hurt instead of you since he will be the one injured. But horses of a cavalry don't stop. They obey their masters only because their masters provide them with food and water for a period of time.
100.006 إِنَّ الإنْسَانَ لِرَبِّهِ لَكَنُودٌ
100.006 Truly man is, to his Lord, ungrateful;
Al-Qur'an, 100.001-006 (Al-Adiyat [The Courser, The Chargers])
Text Copied from DivineIslam's Qur'an Viewer software v2.910
Now compare that with the behavior of man. God has not just given us food and water. He gave us everything. He created us. If a person just negates God, wouldn't that be a sin? That is exactly what justifies punishment for those who do not believe. Here is a link on the topic
http://www.islamsgreen.org/islams_gr...d_people_.html
Now I am sure that your mother is a nice lady. So if you choose to become a Muslim, why can't you try to introduce Islam to her? Concept of existance of one God appealed to you, why shouldn't it appeal to your mother? I pray that you and your mother both become Muslims
Peace

glo
07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Welcome to LI, JustOne. :welcome:
I hope you find the answers to your questions.

The judgment and punishment of non-believers according to the monotheistic faiths is indeed a tough subject.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
However, how can you honestly expect to be rewarded by God in the next life if you either didn't believe in Him altogether, or insulted His greatness by taking partners besides Him.
I wouldn't normally post in here, but that genuinely makes absolutely no sense to me. How could God possibly be offended or insulted? Surely He would be totally beyond such petty human emotions to the extent they would be totally irrelevant? We can no more meaningfully insult or offend God than an ant can offend or insult us.

- Qatada -
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JustOne
To the Muslim Community, Asalamu alaikum_

I have been religion “shopping” for the past couple years now and have been looking into scriptures, beliefs and practices of a multitude of religions, most recently of which- Islam. I am currently reading the Qu’ran and have been studying the history and practices of Islam, and much to my surprise, I have found a lot that I like, so some much so, that I have seriously been considering converting to Islam. I like the rituals and the heavy influence on social justice, the discipline and structure that Islam brings to a sometimes unorganized world, and most importantly the belief in no God but God, and considering the fact that I live in a primarily Christian country, the belief that God is incorporeal with no incarnations, is not popular.

Despite all that I find appealing about Islam, there is one thing in particular, which is not unique to this religion, that I struggle with, the belief that all non-Muslims, particular those that don’t believe in God, go straight to the hot box for eternity. This is an issue that is very personal to me considering my mother who was born and raised an atheist, seems to fit in the category of those that will be ****ed to eternity. My mother who couldn’t be a nicer person, has sacrificed much for many, she is a life long volunteer, is a charitable woman, and is all around a caring and kind soul. My problem is how can a God that claims to be merciful, forgiving, and all good, send someone like my mother to in eternity of hellfire, or for that matter someone like Gandhi, who was a polytheist, yet was probably one of the most peaceful persons on this earth, along with her? Wouldn’t God want people like those in Paradise with him? I say this knowing that this tends to be the view of not only Abrahamic religions, but most religions in general, that fact that if you don’t accept “my” religion you’re going to hell.

I ask this question because I really like a lot about the religion of Islam and I guess I am hoping there is different beliefs, leeway, maybe a different sect, or some sort answer to this, that maybe someone like my mother won't go to hell despite being who she is? Shouldn't being a good and caring person be enough?

Hi

God tells us in the Quran;

And We never punish until We have sent a Messenger" (Quran 17:15)
So if your mother did not really get to know about Islam properly, or even at a basic level - then it may be that they are trialled or tested on the Day of Judgment.

The basic rule in Islam is that if we affirm God's blessings, then we should be grateful for them, and ask God to guide us to His truth, and to then obey Him and His Messenger through the guidance which He's sent, and why shouldn't we be grateful to Him? By being obedient to God, and serving Him and His creation, we are showing thankfulness to God.

To enter paradise, you need to fulfill certain conditions. Like obeying God, and His Messenger, and performing the 5 daily prayers, to give in charity [2.5% of ones wealth every year], to fast in the month of Ramadan, to go to the Sacred House of the Ka'bah atleast once in your life if you are capable, and to believe in God and His Messengers'.

If someone doesn't fulfill the conditions, and has knowledge of its consequences - then aren't they being unjust and selfish? Why does God have to reward the selfish? Rather, He will reward the doers of good in accordance to what they strive for. So someone who strives for this world alone, they will get this life and its good. The one who strives for the life to come, God will give them goodness in both worlds. That is a promise from Him.

So you have to strive for the best achievement, this sincerety of yours will make you overcome the different problems in life, and make you of the most amazing of people.. continuously rising higher and higher, God will give you goodness as a temporary reward in this life, and the hereafter is better, if you only knew...

bamboozled
07-14-2009, 12:38 AM
How you doing bro?

To partially answer your question...

The way I think of it is that Allah decides if islam is in your heart or not and although there are many non-believers who are the nicest people you will meet, being a muslims is paramount your five pillars of Islam are really really important (Zakaat, Prayer, Hajj, Declaration, Fasting).

Look at Abu Talib, he stood up for (his nephew) Muhammad(peace be upon him) until his old age and they went through many trials and tribulations together. He even moved away from his home during the boycott with Muhammad (PBUH) which lasted three years, but never actually made his declaration to islam and he loved Allahs messenger to bits.

The prophet peace be upon him asked him and asked him to declare islam and although Abu Talib believed Islam to be true he did not make his Shahadat -declaration to islam (There is only one god and Muhammad (peace be upon him) is his messenger). I think it was something to do with not wanting to dissapoint his father by changing faith or something. And the prophet may allah be pleased with asked him to change to islam, even in Abu Talib dying days. and he fought as hard as he could for islam Mashallah.

Only yesterday I was praying that Allah shows him mercy for the sake of the Prophet Peace be upon him. He was a good man and had a heart of gold, Inshallah allah will forgive him and grant him Jannah(Heaven) - I just wished he done his declaration.

There was such a beautiful story on this freeview channel I have (its called 'Peace TV' channel 820 on SKY, or watch online for free not matter where you live). By a scholar, called Hussain Ye.

Basically, may Allah forgive me if I am wrong at parts, but when he was a teenager he too was soul searching. But Mashallah Allah put islam in his heart and he decided to revert as a teen (19ish years old).
(In Islam when someone becomes a muslim, from being a non-muslim we call it reverting as we believe that all babies are born muslims, and so we are returning to back where we started)

Basically, the mother was very unhappy with this, I think she thought she lost her youngest son to islam (which she believed would separate them). But Masahallah he kept going back to his Mum and eventually she realised the beauty of islam and also reverted back to islam also:statisfie.

I know that does really answer your question, because I dot really know how to answer it properly tbh. But the way I look at it is like this -

Allah has put Islam in your heart, and while it may not be yet in your mothers, or your brothers, or your good friends or even those who passed away a non muslim. You can change that through talking to them about Islam. Or if they have passed away praying for them and putting it in All Mighty gods hadns. Allah is all forgiving and surely if All Mighty Allah wills he will forgive them and answer you prayers.

Hope that helps bro.

Btw, keep your eyes open for a guy called DR Zakir Naik, he is the guy that owns Peace TV. His islamic talks are AMAZING, he is all over Youtube if your interested.

PS I have attached a link of Hussain Yee talking about his reverting (if you are in a hurry for the part where he talks about his reverting then foward to 8mins in the video) the next part is in the 'Related videos' section (part 5), you can find the previous parts there also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7z8...eature=related
if the link fails type in google 'Hussain Yee - the Quran 4/5 youtube' or something. The reverting talk is at 8mins in part 4/5 and finishes in part 5/5.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.